Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:19:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 253
Total: 256

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sunburn  (Read 7787 times)

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
Sunburn
« on: June 23, 2006, 12:40:28 am »

For some reason I ended up walking around for about 3 hours today.  I wasn't really expecting to walk so much, but I just kept going and didn't think to stop and buy sunscreen. Anyway, my shoulders are red. It's probably going to hurt some, but hopefully not too bad.

I googled sunburn and hiv and one site said we're more photosensitive to UV rays.

Is this something an hiv+ person should be alot more careful about??

Just curious.

thanks,
brian

Offline edfu

Re: Sunburn
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 01:45:22 am »
I'm too computer-stupid to figure out how to link to another thread here, but if you search for "What about tanning?," another thread here, there's lots of info about the sun and HIV.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:49:11 am »
Brian,

I believe that some of the medications we take (including Bactrim) can leave us more sensitive to sunlight. Sunburn is never a good thing and I would imagine that skin cancers (particularly the loathesome melanoma) would be worse in people with compromised immune systems.

MtD
(Who comes from Sunny Australia and knows all about skin cancer)

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 02:09:32 am »

Thanks, I found the other thread.

I guess the moral of the story is to not burn, but that's no different than pre-hiv.

brian (who usually stays in dark places)

Offline cflas

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »
Jesus, what an idiot I am!!!  Just got back from three weeks in Big Sur and SF, and did a bunch hiking. Since I am less inclined to remove my shirt, I found that my face got really burned. I blamed it on the sun and wind.  It was so bad that there were a couple of nights it hurt so bad I couldn't sleep.  We went out and bought some trillion dollar SPF 45 tanning lotion and another trillion dollars for a moisturizing cream.  And all this time I've been blaming the sun and wind, when, of course, it's related to the meds (Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir and, Holy Crap!, Bactrim).  Thanks for cluing me in on something I should have been aware of.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 12:41:20 am »
The simple fact is that a suntan is an immune response to an injury, plain and simple. The body responds to the damage to the skin (the largest organ in the body) by producing melanin.

Depending on the condition of your overall immune system, and THAT's a debate for another day (is drug-assisted immune condition as robust or as capable as natural, or innate? Are numbers numbers, or does the QUALITY of the immune system change despite {or because of} HAART therapy??) the symptoms for sunburn might well be excascerbated in immune-impaired individuals.

Add to that, as people have mentioned, the adverse contraindications with the drugs (including the relatively inoffensive Bactrim) and it's easy to see how someone could experience a different reaction to the sun than they are used to. Add in anemia, caused by many drug combinations (as well as HIV itself) and other considerations, and, well, better to bring the zillion-proof sunblock than not.

One thing I have personally noticed (and having a Morticia Addams complexion, I tend to notice sun-related stuff anyhow) is that even when I use artificial bronzers or self-tanners, I STILL have flu-like symptoms as though I had sun poisoning. Because the chemicals in those products simply activate the melanin-producing process, which is an immunse response. For many of us, that is gonna equal pain of one sort or another.

Jonathan
(the delicate Gardenia)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:54:09 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 12:52:33 am »
Jonathan
(the delicate Gardenia)

Awwww JK! I've always thought of you as a steel magnolia! ;)

MtD
(Who is running a terrible line in bad jokes today)

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 11:42:52 am »
"One thing I have personally noticed (and having a Morticia Addams complexion, I tend to notice sun-related stuff anyhow) is that even when I use artificial bronzers or self-tanners, I STILL have flu-like symptoms as though I had sun poisoning. Because the chemicals in those products simply activate the melanin-producing process, which is an immunse response. For many of us, that is gonna equal pain of one sort or another."  jkinatl
..................................................................................................
I am very concerned about a good friend who continues to use tanning salons and has a lot of health "issues" with HIV/AIDS  problems.  Should I tell him that I think his skin  looks like and old suitcase?  Or just shut up and let him crinkle up like a 90 yr old. ( He is only 35 or so)
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.