Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:38:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 589
Total: 589

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Certain cells that HIV can infect  (Read 7643 times)

Offline smcneil

Certain cells that HIV can infect
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:12:24 pm »
I  performed oral sex on a man for about 5-10 minutes, without ejaculation, but there was pre-cum in the amount of a size of a pea or less.  I am a female.  He tested negative about 1 month ago, but he could have been in his own window period, which would give him a high viral load, and make pre-cum even more infectious!  (If that assumption is correct). Also, I don't know anything about who he has had sexual relations with, or if he was telling the truth about his test result.   Can you please tell me my risk from this exposure?   Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:42:17 pm by smcneil »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Oral sex on a man without ejaculation, but pre-cum
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:42:42 pm »
Zero.. You didn't have a risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:01:26 pm »
Although from time to time there are reports of transmission via giving oral, but they never hold up under scientific scrutiny. There's much more solid evidence from longterm studies of sero-discordant couples who had lots of unprotected oral and only protected intercourse. Not one sero-negative partner has become infected.

Your saliva has over a dozen elements which very effectively inhibit the transmission of viable HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline smcneil

"Generations" of HIV tests????
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:38:53 am »
I want to use the Home Access Express One- Day Kit to test at 6 weeks for a receptive oral encounter with pre-cum but no ejaculation.  I don't understand what "Generation" means regarding tests.  Can somebody explain this, and would I still be able to test at 6 weeks with the Home Access Test?  Is this an ELISA test?   I want to basically know if I can still test at 6 weeks with this test, although I DO realize it should be redone at 3 months....thank you!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 01:32:47 am by smcneil »

Offline RapidRod

Re: "Generations" of HIV tests????
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:57:42 am »
Return to your original thread. Your questions will not be answered until you do so.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 07:51:12 am »
Please keep all of your entries in this same thread. I have merged your previous and your latest threads. Our rule is to use the same thread for all of your entries.

At 6 weeks all but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Testing at 13 weeks for a conclusive result is for when someone has had a genuine risk for transmission.

You did not have such a risk so from our point of view no testing is necessary. If you test it's strictly for your peace of mind and a negative result is a slam dunk.

At 13 weeks any generation of test will yield a reliable result.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:00:38 am »
sm,

Yes, Home Access is an ELISA test.

And NO, you do NOT need to test over this incident.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS BLOWJOB, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline smcneil

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 04:54:05 pm »
Thank you so much for your time and effort Rod, Andy, and Ann! I truly appreciate it, as I am very alarmed.  By the way, have you ever heard of somebody (on here, or anywhere else) having been infected from performing oral with pre-cum?  Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 05:08:21 pm »
Although from time to time there are reports of someone who insists they became infected through giving oral, those reports never hold up under careful scientific scrutiny. What usually turns out is faulty memory including because of drug or alcohol use or incomplete reporting due to embarassment over something else they did. etc.

Your saliva contains over a dozen elements which very effectively prevent viable HIV from being transmitted if it's even present in the other person.

And there is much, much more solid evidence against transmission occuring through longterm studies of sero-dystonic couples, both gay and staright. Lots of unprotected mutual oral and only protected vaginal and anal intercourse have resulted in not a single sero-negative partner having become infected.

You can go ahead an test if you must for peace of mind. A negative result is a certainty as far as I concerned. And no, I don't know of a single confirmed case of transmission here under the circumstances you have described.
Andy Velez

Offline smcneil

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 05:41:22 pm »
Thank you Andy, you are a Godsend....also, is this the best website for the most accurate and up-to-date HIV information?  I don't want to go looking around the internet because it is making me worse.....thank you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:02:38 pm by smcneil »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 05:55:07 pm »
You're welcome. Glad it was helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline smcneil

Certain cells that HIV can infect
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 09:06:39 pm »
I was confused about something.  I've been reading that HIV can only infect certain types of cells.  But, does this mean AFTER the virus gets  into the bloodstream?  Thank you.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Certain cells that HIV can infect
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 12:13:06 am »
smcneil

I have merged your threads, please use this one form now when asking questions...thank you for your cooperation.

After HIV enters the body, it latches onto a T-cell and works its way inside cell so once it's INSIDE the virus completely takes over the T-cell and uses it to make more copies of itself.

The newly made viruses then leave the T-cell and go on to infect and destroy other healthy cells and multiply inside the body.

Jan
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:23:09 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline smcneil

Oral sex on a man no ejaculation but pre-cum....
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 06:16:49 pm »
Sorry everyone, I didn't understand that if you had a new thought, you had to put it into the same "thread" as first question.  Do you have to do this even though it is a totally different scenario? (I'm new to the boards). Thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 07:22:39 pm »
sm,

If you'd read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you'd know about our posting guidelines. Please read it now.

It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline smcneil

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »
I did read it, it was just a little confusing to me, especially when you had a totally different topic to discuss.....for example, I wasn't sure how anyone would know it was a new question.   Also, is this website the most accurate and up-to-date out of all the HIV websites I have seen?  I just don't want to be reading too much stuff, it is making me more panicked.....thank you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:43:23 pm by smcneil »

Offline smcneil

Hypothetical question....didn't happen to me.
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »
I was just wondering about the risk of this act, just out of curiosity.  Suppose an HIV positive person cut his finger and it is bleeding....let's just say his "spouse" decides to "lick" the blood to clean it up.  What are the odds of contracting HIV from an incident like this?  Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Hypothetical question....didn't happen to me.
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 07:13:19 pm »
Return to your original thread. Your questions will not be answered until you do so. Read the posting guidelines that are located in the "Welcome" thread which you should have done before ever posting on this forum.

Offline smcneil

Re: Hypothetical question....didn't happen to me.
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 07:15:39 pm »
Sorry everyone, I'm a new poster, and I DID read the guidelines, but I am a little confused by them.  Since this is a totally different topic from the one I posted before, I thought I was supposed to start a "new topic".....otherwise, how would everybody know I asked a new question?  Please advise...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »
Zero....

Offline smcneil

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 07:36:52 pm »
So, you mean to tell me that there is a low risk if semen or pre-cum is placed in the mouth during oral, but if a more highly infectious agent (blood), enters the mouth, there is no risk?  I don't understand....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 07:50:08 pm »
sm,

Sorry for the delay, I had to reboot my computer.

I don't believe you've bothered to read the Welcome thread at all. I mean, what on earth is so difficult to understand about...

Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

If we have to merge your threads again, you will be given a time out. Please consider yourself seriously warned.

Nobody said semen in the mouth was low risk, we said it was a theoretical risk, one that rarely happens. Go back and re-read what Andy said to you on this subject.

Who in their right mind would lick someone eles's blood? There are other much more virulent pathogens one could ingest by doing that. Do you hang out with vampires or what?

You are seriously close to getting timed out. We don't seem to be getting though to you on ANYTHING and frankly, I don't see much point in continuing a discussion with you.

Ann
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:52:22 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline smcneil

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:53 pm »
Sorry Ann, I didn't mean any harm.  And if I have a new question, even if it is unrelated to anything I have asked before, I will still ask it in the same thread.  That is what I have come to understand.  I didn't see the harm in asking that hypothetical question.  There may be some couples that would "lick" each others blood.....not me of course, but I'm sure they are out there.....thank you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.