Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:46:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 217
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Microwaves at work  (Read 5784 times)

Offline JeffInNYC

Microwaves at work
« on: August 01, 2006, 06:34:48 pm »
Ok in our "lunchroom" we have a microwave.  Lets face it, people gotta eat and many people bring their own lunches.  I have nothing against this at all.  Many people cook their frozen dinners or maybe heat up their leftovers from the night before.  Perfectly acceptable and I support this.

What I dont support is people that heat up some slop that smells up the entire office.  One guy heated something up and it freaking smelled like pigeon.  It was revolting and honestly it was disruptive to the office.

When my mom goes for chemo, she is allowed to bring lunch or snacks....all the patients are.  However, they are instructed not to bring food that smells (like fish for example), to be considerate of others who may be experiencing nausea.

Granted the 2 situations are vastly different.  But seriously, some of us get grossed out and on a hot day like today, I felt like I was about to hurl.  Is there a solution to this?  Can the office issue a notice to employees not to microwave food that will send a vile stench throughout the office?  Or is this discriminatory in some way?

Help!!!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Microwaves at work
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 07:49:19 pm »
Hello Jeff,

It's funny you mention this. I am currently going through this at work. One of the employees like to microwave at 1:00am And it will stink up my work area for a good 15 minutes. Almost enough to make me barf >:(  I don't know what the hell she is cooking.

The other thing that pisses me off is the community refrigerator, and the food that is left behind, and the fact that people expect others to clean up their messes. I have a real beef with this, and let people know it. While the housekeeping dept, is responsible for cleaning the microwave, I usually take that responsibility on, ( I can't wait for them to do it.)  I must sound like a grumpy old man  ;)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 07:51:42 pm »
I'm guilty of the "fish" smell in the office.  I was wary of the sushi I brought once, so I nuked it.  I was in retail, and it smelled the entire (large) store up something awful.  I was 24--cut me some slack?  I'm much more sensitive these days.  When someone burns their popcorn, I'm the first to chastise them, namely because to here "Red Signal--Medical Records--First Floor" when I am on the 5th Floor, trying to deal with an upset nurse or patient, is mortifying!!!!  They look at me like what the hell, you can't even control your own area, though I'm in no way a super or manager.

Same thing for stinky perfume!  If I can taste it in the back of my throat, it wasn't what I asked for!

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:16:16 pm »

Hi Jeff:

You hit on one of my pet peeves.  I used to sit right in front of the breakroom and of course from 11am - 1:30 pm had to work with people heating and reheating their 'leftovers' and sodium-filled microwave dinners.

TG (Thank God) I moved to an area now that is far away (and what a difference - life is good now)

So I feel your pain - major annoying and inconsiderate.

But what takes the cake is when some moron overcooks the popcorn and it is so nauseating I sometimes have to leave. 

Inevitably it's the same person repeating the same error - my advice:  if you're gonna make microwave popcorn then stay and monitor your popcorn!

Then they take it back to their desk and masticate - *bangs head on wall*

Anyway, I don't use microwaves or eat anything microwaved - they are dangerous and unhealthy - ironically.

Peace,

Jordan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:20:38 pm by jordan »
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline fearless

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:19:41 pm »
Personally, I think you are being oversensitive, but then again I make toasted sardine sandwiches in the office kitchen. It's only food and only a smell. It ain't gonna kill anyone.

I don't tell people what fragrance to wear, what clothes to wear, how to comb/brush their hair etc and I expect them not to comment on the smell of my food no matter how much it gets up their nose.

edit: Im fascinated by the idea of Americans taking microwave pop-corn to work - I'd be more concerned for their health with all that salt than the smell.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:21:31 pm by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 08:34:09 pm »

edit: Im fascinated by the idea of Americans taking microwave pop-corn to work - I'd be more concerned for their health with all that salt than the smell.

Actually its sold in the vending machines where I work. You can have the choice of extra butter, Light, or unsalted :) Its very popular in the workplace
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline whizzer

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:17:00 pm »
Jeff,

Not to worry.  The microwave will be destroyed by the tsunami.  Along with the stinky-food-eaters.

-Whiz

Offline ademas

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 09:19:44 pm »
We aren't allowed to cook microwave popcorn at work.  There's been too many accidents.

I will nuke a frozen dinner from time-to-time.  I zapped a tuna-noodle casserole once, and a coworker complained directly to me--so I don't do that one anymore.  Everyone loves the smell of the Thai Style Chicken, so I usually stick to that one.

It seems kind of ridiculous to even have a microwave in the office breakroom if no one can use it to heat leftovers or frozen meals, doesn't it?

Funny how it's always someone elses lunch that stinks, and never my own!   ;)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 11:18:59 pm »
These women I used to work with would come in first thing in the morning and make popcorn.  Coffee?  that's a morning smell.   Popcorn is NOT.   They always seemed surprised that I didn't want any....they're lucky I didn't vomit on them.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 02:28:05 am »
Ew @ microwave popcorn. Ew and ew again.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline jordan

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 05:36:47 am »
Funny how it's always someone elses lunch that stinks, and never my own!   ;)

it's the principle (e.g., if you're eating Doritos and I'm not they stink to high heaven, if we both are eating them then it's "no big deal"   :P  )

Offline jordan

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 05:38:38 am »

These women I used to work with would come in first thing in the morning and make popcorn.  Coffee?  that's a morning smell.   Popcorn is NOT.   They always seemed surprised that I didn't want any....they're lucky I didn't vomit on them.

Amen....that's usually what happens where I work...or they have it as the main course for lunch...ladies please   ::)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 05:40:39 am by jordan »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 08:07:55 am »
I know we are talking about the workplace...but I would like to remind everyone to never, and I repeat, never put your toy poodle in the microwave to dry its fur.

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 09:04:07 am »
I stay away from microwaves.  I piss my pants at the beep.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 09:13:04 am »
The microwaves we had at my last workplace had a 'Popcorn' setting, and were labeled with a stern warning to use the Popcorn setting ONLY for making popcorn. Still there was always one guy that was afraid of a few unpoped kernels and added a few minutes.... Truly a stink like no other.
Another fun incident was when someone brought in some French Vanilla flavored coffee and brewed up a pot in the coffemaker. It wasnt bad, but the whole area smelled like a French Whorehouse.
It would be cute to put a label on a workplace  Microwave " No Sushi...PLEASE !!"  

The Community Fridge has always been a battleground, most notably when things would disapear, usually pizza. One guy had  had his pizza pilfered  one time too many , and I watched as he carefullu cut the seeds and membranes out of half a dozen Habanero peppers and tucked them neatly under the cheese oof his latest pizza Hut leftovers then left this little landmine in the front of the fridge..... He never found out who the pizza thief was, but food theft fell off sharply.  Another guy would simply write " I spit on this Pizza" on the box as a warning to potential food thieves....
it was a good idea untill some smartass  ::)  wrote "So Did I "  under it....    then theres the story of the fellow that  added a layer of 'Mustard' which was in fact Yellow ink, to a Subway Sandwich leftover...
I could go on and on about some of the things that Ive seen go down at work, but Im hungry...
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.