Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:25:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Needles; accidentally scratching /pricking: Cases reported along the history?  (Read 6537 times)

Offline thefool

hello. people who work with garbage, medical workers, etc: all those who have accidentally receved a scratching or pricking from a needle(ltīs suppose that needle contains HIV). How HIV contagia are there reported? How frequent.  Statistically speaking.  I think I have read anywhere that there is not evidence supporting the accidental contagion. IS true?Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Are you asking about a specific incident you have experienced? If so, you will get a more informed response about any potential risk if you can give specific details.
Andy Velez

Offline thefool

Hello Andy.

Recently,a girl friend of me, got stuck with a capped one, which was into a bin.

My question so, is originated by that(whis has make me to become very interested in all concerning this issue), but I have been reading a lot about this and while some sources say it suppose a risk, I have read from other sources(one of them are many messages of this page) that there are no reported cases of serconversion on this way.

Thanks for your information

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Recently,a girl friend of me, got stuck with a capped one, which was into a bin.

Fool

There is no way your G/F could have had a needle stick injury if the needle was capped, it's just not possible.

The reason there is no reported or documented cases if because there is none.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline thefool

Annie. That one was capped but she felt a little pricking and was not sure what was the cause. And she thought perhaps if there was one needle perhaps there were more.

Anyway, all possible information is good and Iīd like to know in terms of statistics if there is someone, on this forum or in general term reported into the statistics, who seroconverted after a needle injury OUTSIDE hospitalary environment. That is: an abandoned needle into a bin. Letīs suppose that needle kept its cap until the moment of the accident.

As I told, I think(but I am not sure, thatīs the reason I am asking)I have read anywhere( perhaps 'The Body'? ) that there are not reported cases of such class of transmission.

If there are not reported cases but  there is any person at this forum who was infected in this way, please tell us your history.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
We don't deal with statistics here. We prefer to focus on the specific incidents and evaluate whether there was risk or not.

From what you have described of your friend's incident it is in the domain of what if rather than an actual risk. With that in mind I'd say there was no actual puncture that took place and there's no need for testing.

In a medical setting there are standard universal healthcare procedures which are followed relateld to needlestick accidents. I've never known of anyone to become infected in the manner you have described here. It's quite different say from situations in which IV drug users share needles, which definitely is a risk for transmission. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:53:34 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Can't really add to what Andy has said except maybe to say how those of us who are HIV+ became infected has nothing to do with you..so you can forget about people giving you their history in this forum.

If you want statistics look them up for yourself.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline thefool

Are these ways for transmission?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:24:43 am »
Iīd like to know if Do the following practices pose a transmission risk.

1-To practice anal sex (insertive or receptive) using condom. Are there transmission cases reported while using condoms?

2-Open mouth kissing. I have read a lot about the 0% rate level of kissing, but I wonder: Blood is contagious. And bleeding gums is a VERY spread problem in  general population. So What happens if you swallow some blood?(a very common thing I think)

3-A woman(or a man)practicing unprotected oral sex to a man without ejaculation. I have heard that there ara NO reported cases. Is true?

4-A man, practicing oral, unprotected sex to a woman. Are there reported cases?   Please, I am very interested in knowing about each of these 4 points. Thank you very much.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Are these ways for transmission?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 09:47:12 am »
Please follow the posting guidelines and keep all of your questions in your original thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
I've merged your threads. Please don't start new threads. Keep all of your entries in this same thread.

Have you read our lesson on Transmission? All the basics you need to know are in there. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

Condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission, whether during vaginal or anal intercourse. As long as the latex condom is used properly and doesn't break you are protected.

Kissing is not a risk for HIV transmission. Even if there is poor oral care your saliva has a number of elements which inhibit HIV very effectively.

Longterm studies of sero-discordant couples who had only protected intercourse and lots of unprotected oral resulted in not a single sero-negative partner becoming infected. The studies included both gay & straight couples. The few reported cases of transmission via giving oral have been of questionable reliability. Giving oral is in the domain of what level of risk you are comfortable with. I've never known of a case of transmission orally to man performing cunnilingus on a woman. Again, saliva is a very effective barrier to transmission.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.