Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:05:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 141
Total: 142

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When will the rug get pulled out?  (Read 8480 times)

Offline wolfter

When will the rug get pulled out?
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:30:56 am »
I seem to be living life again as if some other terrible experience is around the corner.  It’s not a fear or an anxiety producing issue, just has been my reality.  It’s almost as if I owe it to myself to live as much life as possible until that happens.

Most of us have lived enough horrible experiences that I think it’s reasonable to have these feelings.  Just a short while ago, I was so confined and sick and was sure I was finally ready to succumb.  I was neither fearful nor upset about it.  I guess I just doubt my ability to fight the next time.  How many decades do we fight without loosing the strength to do it any longer?

I’d like to hear those sage words from my fellow LTS. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: When will the rug get pulled out?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:57:53 pm »
How many decades do we fight without loosing the strength to do it any longer?

I understand how you feel. There are days when I wonder whether there is any good news for those of us in the LTS clan.

But, whatever happens, we are a determined bunch here. If we weren't, we probably wouldn't have survived this long.

I have never felt I had the strength to face some of these things I have. Yet, when it smacks you in the face, you somehow manage to muddle through.

Will we always have this strength that comes from somewhere deep inside us? I have no idea. But I refuse to live my life in fear of its failing me.

In the meantime, when I start feeling a bit lost or fearful, I remember what I have already done. Somehow that gives me strength.

Of course, we could just get together and have another lavender martini. ;)

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:01:10 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:48:26 pm »
I wanna LIVE as long as I can, I've lived this long, why give up now, only problem I see is running outta money, and not being able to do all of things I want do, so I'll just take whatever I can muster, and not sweat the small things life throws my way, cause I know I will always have the ability to overcome it, money or not  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:38 pm »
I seem to be living life again as if some other terrible experience is around the corner.  It’s not a fear or an anxiety producing issue, just has been my reality.  It’s almost as if I owe it to myself to live as much life as possible until that happens.

Most of us have lived enough horrible experiences that I think it’s reasonable to have these feelings.  Just a short while ago, I was so confined and sick and was sure I was finally ready to succumb.  I was neither fearful nor upset about it.  I guess I just doubt my ability to fight the next time.  How many decades do we fight without loosing the strength to do it any longer?

I’d like to hear those sage words from my fellow LTS. 

Wolfie

Hey Wolfie,

I owe it to myself to life the fullest life I can and when I hit roadblocks, I take only the necessary detours before returning to my original course.  I see no benefit in borrowing possible sorrow from the future.  I imagine there will come a day, when I may have to decide on living or dying.  However, today is not that day, nor tomorrow or the next day, so why would I ever want to detract from my great life, by worrying about something many years away?  I want to leave this world, wishing I had more time to enjoy it, not lamenting what I didn't do, because I was too busy worrying about the future.

Joe

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:32:33 am »
I know that, paid lots off therapy money in the past to learn the phrase pessimistic defence. . Kick it into yhe long grass unless you are convinced you are gifted with reading the future.

What is real is that you have the memories off being extremely ill in the past..

How,s work?

with love wolfie
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:50:54 am »
Wolfie, I know exactly how you feel.  I too wonder if I would have it "in me" to fight a major health problem.   I just say that I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'm having issues with the whole "HIV and Aging" thing.   My body went through so much trauma in the 90's, and I have so many drug-related issues (such as PN).   Some days, I just don't feel like I have the strength to get out of bed at all; but I manage, somehow, to get myself into the shower, and then after the hot water runs over me awhile, I feel more human.

I've had a lot more years than I ever expected, and am very thankful for them.  I do NOT, under any circumstances, want to live to an age where I am confined to bed, and unable to care for myself.   I've spent too much time in nursing homes over the past few years, with elderly friends and relatives.  It is not a place I care to imagine myself being.

On the 'bright side', my numbers are good, I look GREAT on paper...just not so hot in the flesh.   ;D

Hugs, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 12:01:54 pm »
I understand how you feel , I deal with the same issue day to day most of us deal with as a LTS .

I have learned over the years to take things one day at a time and some days hour by hour . I have to admit the old saying , if I knew then what I know now applies to how I view aging and struggling with a chronic health condition , its quality over quantity as I look toward the future for me .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 01:56:06 pm »
Hi
Just had to say....that I waited 10 years for the rug to be pulled out.  It didnt get pulled out.  I had to accept that I will never know when it will be pulled out and so....I try to live day to day.
Best luck
Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:29 am »
Thanks all.  Really appreciate all the comments.  Even with my wide circle of friends, I find it difficult to share true feelings about this aspect of AIDS.  Any mention of something like doubt would cause them concern and they'd over analyze it.  You all know how them neggies are ???  

I'll try and get better at adding a little more info to my posts.  The underlying point of this post is my overall anxiety about life choices that have to be made.  It's no different than what any other human does.  We just have to add our HIV mix into it all.

I have major decisions to make and I have to make sure I think every scenario through as much as possible.  There are a lot of things to consider and I'll get it done...hopefully making the correct ones.  Or making only small ones that don't cripple me. ;)

It's difficult to leave your comfort zone and move towards your dreams, hopes and aspirations.  I think always working towards those goals helped me achieve my LTS status.  Going it alone this time and having fears is normal but I'm up to the challenge.  

It's kinda embarrassing to admit how immature I was in so many respects.  I've finally mastered budgeting, saving and balancing a check book.  Am now totally responsible for paying the correct bills at the correct time.  I sure do miss my; "money grows on trees" lifestyle :(  

Again, thanks to you all.  I really appreciate the great support.
Wolfie

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 03:35:47 pm »
I understand this fully.  I feel that way most days as I have shooting pains in my feet, and my knees get more and more crippled that I feel I can't walk another step. But walk on it goes, one step at a time.  I also have severe insomnia, and even though taking Trazadone helps some, I'm still up betwen 3-5 am every day.  Where I work we're having training next week in Indy, and no one wants to share a hotel room with me because of my early rising habits.
Plus I'm female, so hey, I hate wrinkles!  And damn it, I can't afford liposuction!  Yeah, I guess I'm a bit vain (or just don't like to look aged). 
Things have changed 360 degrees, though, in the past 7 years, for the better, but in making decisions that took a lot of risk, and have not been all perfect in how things have worked out.  But all I really know how to do is just do it.  So good luck, it's just keepin' on.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 07:01:22 pm »
it's just keepin' on.
2nd that dear BT
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline lforsyth

• Standard
  • Instaurator Ruinae
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »
My experience is that you get better every day. It's only those who don't accept you that pull the rug out from under you if you let them.

Buts that's my experience and others here don't accept my view.
Tested POZ in 1986, knew there was something wrong in 1985. 04/2010 CD4: 975 Viral Load undetectable. Prezista, Norvir, Truvada, Acyclovir, Plavix, Lisinopril, Metoprolol and a bedtime snack of Lipitor (YUM)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 09:13:54 am »
My experience is that you get better every day. It's only those who don't accept you that pull the rug out from under you if you let them.

Buts that's my experience and others here don't accept my view.

People don't have the ability to usurp my abilities.  I only worry about those things that I have no control over.  Hope you're doing better Larry.  We ALL accept your views, we just don't always have to agree with them.

Wolfie

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 11:14:40 am »
One of the things we all share as LTS is that we are able to live full meaningful lives despite what we have endured . Just by being who we are can give hope to the ones that have recently been diagnosed . A life well lived speaks for itself .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 11:28:09 am »
I understand this fully.  I feel that way most days as I have shooting pains in my feet, and my knees get more and more crippled that I feel I can't walk another step. But walk on it goes, one step at a time.  I also have severe insomnia, and even though taking Trazadone helps some, I'm still up betwen 3-5 am every day.  Where I work we're having training next week in Indy, and no one wants to share a hotel room with me because of my early rising habits.

Hang-in-there Betty, I have that same problem w/ the Trazadone, and I'm already up to the 100mg's, so you might wanna try this, I take 1 @ bedtime, and when i wake up to go pee @ about 3:30AM, I take another one, and sleep thur till @ least 8 or 9AM, it helps somewhat, but for how long who knows  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 11:04:25 pm »
I think having those thoughts from time to time is completely normal (I know I have them) but you also can't live your life waiting for something bad to happen.  If the thoughts start to rule your life then that might be a time to think about talking to a professional.  Although I don't really do well opening up to a therapist ... but hey it works for some people.  :D

Thanks for that tip with the trazodone!
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline weasel

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 07:32:56 pm »

Hey Wolfie ,
                          You look pretty healthy to me   :o

I know what you mean thou .  I tend to wake up and IF  I do not hop out of bed

the first thing I think of is  AIDS !   

I feel  like a corpse when I wake up !    Oh well !   Better to feel like one than be one .

I have to keep busy doing something most days or I will  dwell on all the crap that   could happen !

I pray daily that that crap will never happen thou !   

Some call it denial  I call it   coping !     

You made it past a very rough spot in your life ,  GOD willing you will not have to go that way

again .  Think about what you can do .  I will go on fighting HIV  forever !   I am not afraid to croak .

The thought of dying before my time  sounds wrong to me !  I have so many things I want to do .

My list is not extravagant or beyond reach . Just want time to enjoy what is out there .

Weasel  :-*

P.S. To Larry  :
                         Most of us like you !   I enjoyed meeting you .   But as my twin does to me  ........
                    Please do not tell me what I am thinking . My rug has been yanked far too often .
                 Now I watch where I am going and all is fine in my world  :)

" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 08:38:42 pm »
Thanks Carl!  I've spent the last year exercising my body, mind and soul.  It was an intentional regiment that has shown improvements. 

Considering that just 2 short years ago, I had severe wasting and was blind to the point of only seeing shadows, anything is an improvement. ;D  Throw in that little brain fungus for fun, and we should have seen an expiration date. 

Between working 2 part time jobs and my volunteer duties, I was way overdoing it.  I only had one day off in 7 weeks.  It dawned on me that I was creating a self fulling prophecy so I have backed off and am working what "normal" people work.  40 hours is plenty.

In the relatively short time that I've known you all, you've all become very special to me.  I'm mentally in the best place I've been in years as a direct result of this.

Thanks again and wishing you all happy mental health.

Wolfie

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.