Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:51:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773219
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 599
Total: 600

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV strains.....  (Read 5141 times)

Offline dingowarrior

HIV strains.....
« on: August 13, 2008, 07:28:16 pm »
Are there different strains of HIV/AIDS?

In other words can you have a slight strain of HIV or is it all the same?

Sorrry for the dumb question,but I've been meaning to ask for quite awhile.

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV strains.....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:13:12 pm »
There is different types, groups and strains.

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 09:54:45 pm »
Thanks for the chart, but which would be the worst? HIV1 or 2 ?Which letters are worse?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:18:40 pm »
Dingo,

What is the point of your question? I don't mean to sound rude; I genuinely wonder where this line of questioning is coming from.

Hiv2 is mainly only found in western Africa. It tends to progress slower and it also tends to be even more difficult to transmit than hiv1.

As for hiv1, the severity of infection seems to have more to do with how each individual's body deals with the virus. From what we're seeing with LTNPs, it has something to do with genetics. Everyone reacts to the virus differently and it's more to do with individual makeup than it has to do with different strains of the virus.

It may help us to answer you if we knew the background of why you are asking these questions.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:26:49 pm »
Dingo,

What is the point of your question? I don't mean to sound rude; I genuinely wonder where this line of questioning is coming from.

Hiv2 is mainly only found in western Africa. It tends to progress slower and it also tends to be even more difficult to transmit than hiv1.

As for hiv1, the severity of infection seems to have more to do with how each individual's body deals with the virus. From what we're seeing with LTNPs, it has something to do with genetics. Everyone reacts to the virus differently and it's more to do with individual makeup than it has to do with different strains of the virus.

It may help us to answer you if we knew the background of why you are asking these questions.

Ann

Thanks Ann for your reply.
Honestly, there was no real deep reason as to why I was inquiring. I was on the bus,on my way home from work a couple of weeks ago, and I just thought to myself "I wonder if there are different degrees of this virus I have?
 I wonder if it can be compared to something like having a mild cold or a severe case of a cold. You know what i mean?? There both are cold's, some cold's worse than others.
 I really didnt have any deep thought or concerne..Just a random thought.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:36:42 pm »
Dingo,

I hope I've answered your random thought/question adequately.

Look at it this way - I was diagnosed as part of a cluster, all originating from the same source. This (the diagnosis) was back in 2001. All of us had been infected around three to five/six years earlier. A few of us, ones who were most likely infected later, had to go on meds pretty much immediately. I know (with hindsight) that I was infected in the spring of 1997. I'm still not on meds.

At the time, there was talk that we had been infected with some "virulent" form of the virus (because of those of us who had to go on meds right away). Not so. Some of us just had bodies that weren't so good at controlling the virus and some had bodies that were better at controlling the virus.

It's a genetic crap-shoot. That's what it looks like so far anyway.

I hope it's a crap-shoot you're winning.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:53:39 am »
Yes Ann, you have indeed answered my question..Thanks ....as always ,you come thru with flying colors!

I am indeed one of the lucky ones....In a unlucky sort of way.  ::)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »
This may be a stupider question, but If HIV2 is predominate more in Africa, then why is Africa so devastated.  If it progresses slower and is harder to transmit, then why are the rates so high?

I would imagine that not have access to any basic health care would be suspect, but has anyone looked at why Africans tend to die faster and have higher rates of infection?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 02:23:36 pm »
HIV2 is not the most predominate type of virus in Africa. HIV1 is the most predominate type in Africa.

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 04:51:33 pm »
the worst is drug resistant and it can be any strain because most people need meds eventually. 
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Offline dixieman

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:10:07 pm »
To answer your question about ... Why HIV is so devastating in Africa? Famine, poverty, lack of access to treatment and the list goes on...

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 12:57:39 pm »
I'm rather interested in this issue of differences between strains - I have the subtype or strain prevalent in Southeast Asia (I remember it was designated on the test with lots of letters).  I would imagine that most of the members of this forum in North America have the type prevalent there, and I have heard there are some major differences.  I've been told that resistance is rarer in our (SE Asian) subtype, but progression to AIDS is usually much quicker. 
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 10:10:41 pm »
HIV-1 B and AE recombinants and subtype C compose the predominant infections in southeast Asia.

Offline positively_me

• love me...love my monkey
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »
This may be a stupider question, but If HIV2 is predominate more in Africa, then why is Africa so devastated.  If it progresses slower and is harder to transmit, then why are the rates so high?

I read an article a few years ago that talked about what hiv had done to Africa.  It mentioned that getting meds, even if you could afford them, was hard because they are stolen then sold on the black market for much higher prices.  Access to medicine was not a regular thing so people would start and stop their regmines. It also talked about how most antiretrovirals need to be taken with food but also caused diarrhea. People don't get to eat daily so they couldn't take the meds and if they did, they would lose whatever nutrition it was that they had just taken in.  It made me incredibly sad for the people there.  I almost felt that because of the high number of infected people and the conditions they live in, there was no hope for Africa.  I pray that I am wrong.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 04:59:10 am »
HIV-1 B and AE recombinants and subtype C compose the predominant infections in southeast Asia.

I wish that meant something to me - alas I know little about these designations.  But is it correct that the majority of infections here are of a different sub-type than those in the USA?  Do you know of any differences in their characteristics?
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.