Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:12:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 334
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Chills on my spine after learning about HIV  (Read 10129 times)

Offline lilboyblue

Chills on my spine after learning about HIV
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:21:12 pm »

I have had numerous unprotected encounters for the past 2 years. Very high risk. All vaginal intercourse. Sex with friends, strangers, prostitutes...so promicous and stupid of me.

Got diagnosed of Gonorrhea April last year. Got treatment and was okay after 2 weeks. I took 2 shots of Cefixime prescribed by an ID doc.

Got contact dermatitis in June healed in August. It cleared all by itself.

Read about HIV late January. I got so scared. Had myself tested Feb 1. Rapid Test NON-Reactive. RPR Non-Reactive.

I had an encounter last Jan 22. I was told it was no risk because I wore a condom. No breaks or slips. I'm worried though because there's a small cut on the base of my penis.

Vaginal sex rd 1 lasted 5 minutes. I was on top (conventional position). Rd 2 I had difficulty getting my penis hard. I had to guide it with my hands to get it in. Had the lady bent over (doggie style). Lasted for 5 minutes too. She said she came but I didn't really see fluids then.

I'm afraid that some fluids may have infected me through the small cut. The cut isn't fresh, it was like 3 days old. Not really deep as well. Could I have been infected?

No particular symptom except for mild fever Feb 9 to 13 and nausea which just subsided last week. Had groin pain. I though that lymph nodes in groin where swollen but the pain was being caused by varicocele, which was verified via ultrasound.

I feel so stupid because I'm being more afraid than I should have been. Should I test after 3 months? I will appreciate any enlightenment here. Thanks in anticipation!

For the mean time, the more I read the more resources and learning I get. I'm devoting some time in HIV/AIDS awareness. ABC! ABC! For me, I'd go for A - abstinence.

No matter which way I turn, I'm homeward bound

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Chills on my spine after learning about HIV
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:20:53 pm »
Neither the details of your unprotected intercourse experiences matter at this point nor do your symptoms.

You need to do two things:

1) Get tested at 13 weeks past the most recent unprotected incident. That's the only way you can reliably know your HIV status.

2) Stop having unprotected intercourse, whether vaginal or anal. You can have all such sex that you want to and regardless of your partner's HIV status. But you need to do it the safer way which always using condoms. No exceptions. Everytime you have unprotected intercourse you are putting your health and your life at risk. It's as simple and as stark as that. If I have alarmed you I'm intending to. Wake up! This is your life we're talking about.
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:48:54 pm »

Andy,

Thank you very much! Got your message loud and clear. I prefer abstinence actually. Although we can never tell. Just in case, you're right about using condoms.

Last unprotected was in March last year. I tested Non-Reactive Feb 1 2010. Am I safe now?

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:05:11 am »

Should  consider my Feb Non-Reactive result good if my last unprotected was March last year?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:56:10 am »
lil,

You are reliably hiv negative. You do not have hiv. Keep using those condoms and you won't have hiv in future either.

And by the way, the small cut at the base of your penis did not put you at risk. The important thing is that while you were inside her vagina, the head of your penis was covered.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:26:44 pm »

Ann, Andy

Thank you again!

Waiting for the rapid HIV test result last February was one of the longest waits I ever had. I had to commend the counselor in doing a good job though. Because then, I was ready for the result poz or not. She prepared me well. I hope that all testing centers would have the same level of counselling or even better. Good thing it turned out NON-REACTIVE. The RPR for syphilis test was NR as well. I also let her see my thing to check any lesions, chancres, or any sign of STI. A week after, I had a VDRL which turned out good as well.

For me, I'll do my best to abstain. Easier said than done so I'll always bring a condom.

I don't know why I'm so worried about my Jan 22 encounter yet the previous ones were actually the high risk ones. Managing the anxiety was difficult. I went symptom shopping on the net. The more I read the more I feel.

I've been reading lots of posts here by the way. I've been inspired in many ways. I can definitely say that HIV is a not a death sentence. Life will not be as easy but it will still go on.

Thanks again for the advice and re-assurance. I'm with you guys in heart and soul. I always include the HIV poz community, including volunteers, in my prayer intentions. I will devote time in information campaign.

Writing from the Philippines (where HIV is rising)

LilBoyBlue

God speed

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:08:18 pm »

Sorry if I post again. I know I'm nearly overposting here

I have a feeling I'm undergoing the anxiety too.

I scheduled for another HIV Rapid Test tomorrow. Should I go for it just to make sure or should I consider my February 2010 Negative (last unprotected was March 2009) good enough? Should I just make better use of my money and probably just watch Alice in Wonderland?

I feel like I'm 85% negative. Whew...tough...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:38:54 pm »
Go to the movies.

Your testing indicates you are HIV negative. You don't need to test again.

MtD

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:34 pm »

Matty,

My GF has some deadlines to meet so we postponed the movie. I had nothing to do so I went ahead and tested. I stared at the kit for 15 minutes and it showed NON-REACTIVE. Whew!

Last unprotected March 2009. Last protected Jan 22 2010. I'm 99% confident that I'm negative.

I can't wait to make love with my GF again, and watch Alice in Wonderland with her on Friday.

Thanks Ann, Andy, and Matt!

Good night to all!

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 12:58:09 am »

One last.

Am I really out of the woods now?

Thanks!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:40:20 am »
Yes Blue,

You're out of the woods.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 08:09:50 am »
And remember to avoid this kind of worrying again in the future by always using condoms.
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 05:13:29 pm »

Matt, Andy

Thanks again!

I feel better than ever. I started working out again after weeks of worrying that my Cd4 count will go low.

Andy, I prefer to abstain but I can never really tell. Just in case, it will be condoms all the way. The clinic gave me several packs of Latex condoms yesterday so there's plenty of ammo.

I'm with you guys in heart and spirit.

All shall be well

LilBoyBlue

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:38:18 pm »
Sounds good. Glad to know you're committed to using that latex. 
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

condom success/failure
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »
Matt,

Got it reposted here. Sorry for the mistake.

---------

I've read a few articles claiming that the condom even when used correctly and consistently has high failure rates. I myself am not convinced since I haven't really heard or learned about anyone getting infected with HIV through protected sex.

Some groups here in our country say that the HIV (virus) is so small that it can sneak through tiny holes of the latex. Is this true? I also read an article that disputed this thought. It said that the virus itself needs some kind of fluid to carry it so it won't really go that easily through a condom.

My opinion on this is, if out of several hundres discordant couples who have unprotected sex only a few got infected, what more if they use protection? I do believe that HIV is not that easily transmitted.

I go for abstinence but this is my personal take. I know that others prefer condom use. And it is easier said than done (abstinence) so I always bring a condom just in case I run into tempation (or opportunity) again. I cannot really resist a chick so sexy and sweet. I will try to resist though. 

Has there been any report of infection through protected sex? The rumor about condom being ineffective still scares me. 

Offline Matty the Damned

Re: condom success/failure
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:53 pm »
Not quite. The rules of the AMI forum require that you keep all your additional questions, thoughts and comments in your original thread.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the red link I have posted above. Alternatively you can use the "Show own posts" link which appears in the uppermost left hand column on any forum page.

Your questions will not be unanswered unless you return to your original thread.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 07:11:52 pm »
Matt,

I hope I got it right this time. Here we go.

---------------

I've read a few articles claiming that the condom even when used correctly and consistently has high failure rates. I myself am not convinced since I haven't really heard or learned about anyone getting infected with HIV through protected sex.

Some groups here in our country say that the HIV (virus) is so small that it can sneak through tiny holes of the latex. Is this true? I also read an article that disputed this thought. It said that the virus itself needs some kind of fluid to carry it so it won't really go that easily through a condom.

My opinion on this is, if out of several hundres discordant couples who have unprotected sex only a few got infected, what more if they use protection? I do believe that HIV is not that easily transmitted.

I go for abstinence but this is my personal take. I know that others prefer condom use. And it is easier said than done (abstinence) so I always bring a condom just in case I run into tempation (or opportunity) again. I cannot really resist a chick so sexy and sweet. I will try to resist though. 

Has there been any report of infection through protected sex? The rumor about condom being ineffective still scares me. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 07:14:48 pm »
Well you read wrong. A condom used correctly and consistently don't fail.

Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in
preventing transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. In addition, correct
and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of other sexually
transmitted diseases (STDs), including discharge and genital ulcer diseases.
While the effect of condoms in preventing human papilloma virus (HPV) infection
is unknown, condom use has been associated with a lower rate of cervical
cancer, an HPV-associated disease. Laboratory studies have demonstrated that latex condoms provide an essentially impermeable barrier to particles the size of STD pathogens.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/condoms.pdf

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 07:31:56 pm »

RR

Thanks for the link! It will come in handy for discussions.

Our country is mostly Catholic so the church says "no" to condom use. I myself am Catholic but I believe in science as well. I go for abstinence too but it's easier said than doneso to me comdom use is a "yes".

Since the country is poor a lot resort to prostitution, which has been there since the early times, and abstinence is definitely a "no" to them. Our current population is about 90 Million and so far we only have about 4,000 confirmed cases of HIV infection. Though the numbers are rapidly rising recently, to me it's good in a sense that more people are getting tested. The earlier the detection the better the treatment. I met a few HIV pos people here and most of them are committed in information campaign.

Thanks again!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 07:32:47 pm »
This is where you should make all your entries and questions you have. I have deleted the duplication of your new thread which you posted in Off Topic. You need to stay in this Forum. You're HIV negative and you are not supposed to wandering anywhere you want to on the site.

That's nonsense about HIV "sneaking" through tiny holes in condoms. Nor is there a "high rate" of failure of condoms. A properly worn latex condom which is well lubricated with a water-based lube provides very effective protection against HIV transmission.  

You would be well advised to stop surfing the net for HIV so-called information. For the most part all it will do is feed your fears and anxiety. We've told you the very simple basics. Just use condoms everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse and you will be well protected against the sexual transmission of HIV. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44:35 pm »

Thanks Andy!

Got it loud and clear

:)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 08:28:51 pm »
OK. You're welcome.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 07:58:14 am »

Hi everyone!

It's been more than 90 days after what I thought was an exposure. I know I did not need testing but I still tested anyways. Non-Reactive. Yeah!

Ever since learning more about HIV I've abstained. If I will have sex it's going tobe condoms all the way.

Thanks for the knowledge and support!

Lilboyblue

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 08:05:33 am »
As long as you consistently use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse, (and the condoms don't break), you will be very effectively protected against the sexual transmission of HIV. And before you get into another spin about whether a condom broke or not, it's very clear when that happens because it ends up looking like a fringed hoop on your penis. It's not about little, itty bitty holes or anything like that.

You do seem to have a lot of anxiety around sex. Instead of focusing on unneeded testing you might consider seeing a therapist or other professional to talk about your concerns. We can't help you with that in this setting.

All we can tell you again is that you are HIV negative and as long as you consistently use condoms you will stay that way.
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 12:38:27 am »

Hi!

I tested non-reactive after 92 days but I'm quite worried because of a swollen lymph behind my neck. It's not really big but you know, it kind of bothers me. Is it possible to seroconvert 12 weeks after the alleged exposure?

I had protected sex last Jan 22.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:00 am »

Hi!

I tested non-reactive after 92 days but I'm quite worried because of a swollen lymph behind my neck. It's not really big but you know, it kind of bothers me. Is it possible to seroconvert 12 weeks after the alleged exposure?

I had protected sex last Jan 22.

OK, let's cut the crap.

You were never at risk so your 92 day test is irrelevant. It's accurate, but irrelevant. You are not HIV positive.

IF you have a swollen lymph node it's most likely because you keep prodding the damned thing when you stand in front of the mirror searching obsessively for non-existent symptoms of HIV.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to wring your hands over non-risk situations. If you'd read our  Welcome Thread and checked out the posting guidelines like you've been asked to do you'd have noticed this:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Consider yourself warned. Post once more about a non-risk situation and you will find yourself spending 28 days in the shitter.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 07:39:22 am »
Your swollen lymph node is something to discuss with your doctor. It is certainly not an HIV-specific occurence. And in your case it  certainly has nothing to do with HIV because you haven't had a risk and you have tested negative as well.

As Matty has pointed out if you continue to return here about this non-risk you will be given a 28 day Time Out from the site.

Stop the drama and get on with your life. HIV is not your problem.
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »

I know I've been quite a pain here already but I hope you will allow me one last question. I'm really sorry but this site has given me the most helpful and logical advice on my conern about HIV.

I'm not feeling kind of well. I have a swollen lymph (not really that big but it is swollen. I can say a size of a nut) and sometimes I have some pain on the armpits and neck area. I know that symptoms are not reliable but I just want to know if I've been responsible enough about my sexual behavior. I've used condoms ever since I got infected with Gonorrhea. I got myself checked regularly fot STDs since then (RPR, gram stain....etc). As far as my fear about the CSW who was possibly HIV positive, I used a condom then and I've taken 3 tests (2 week mark, 6 week mark, and after 92 days) since that encounter and all yieleded non-reactive.

Ever since, I have abstained from having sex. Now I'm with a girl whom I'm sure to be negative. She's a virgin. I love her and I don't plan on using a condom on her, especially for her first time. Have I done all that I needed to do to make sure I am negative? I'm quite scared that I'm seroconverting.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 08:03:10 pm »

I know I've been quite a pain here already but I hope you will allow me one last question. I'm really sorry but this site has given me the most helpful and logical advice on my conern about HIV.

I'm not feeling kind of well. I have a swollen lymph (not really that big but it is swollen. I can say a size of a nut) and sometimes I have some pain on the armpits and neck area. I know that symptoms are not reliable but I just want to know if I've been responsible enough about my sexual behavior. I've used condoms ever since I got infected with Gonorrhea. I got myself checked regularly fot STDs since then (RPR, gram stain....etc). As far as my fear about the CSW who was possibly HIV positive, I used a condom then and I've taken 3 tests (2 week mark, 6 week mark, and after 92 days) since that encounter and all yieleded non-reactive.

Ever since, I have abstained from having sex. Now I'm with a girl whom I'm sure to be negative. She's a virgin. I love her and I don't plan on using a condom on her, especially for her first time. Have I done all that I needed to do to make sure I am negative? I'm quite scared that I'm seroconverting.

Boy,

Given that you don't read anything we write you don't deserve a response. Nevertheless I will answer your question for the benefit of others who might be reading.

Why would you have sex with this girl without a condom? How do you know she's a virgin? Unprotected sex can lead to consequences other than sexually transmitted diseases. Love is nice but it is not protection.

There's a thing called pregnancy. Heard of it?

That said - you have been warned about posting about the same non-risk situation. I have referred your latest post to the Moderators for review.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 08:29:57 pm »
You take the prize for having a ridiculous plan -- to intentionally have intercourse without a condom. Haven't you learned anything here after returning so many times? Doesn't seem so.

Until you are in a securely monogamous relationship, one in which both partners have reliably tested negative together, until such time. you should be wearing a condom everytime you have vaginal or anal intercourse. No exceptions. Using condoms is not about gee, I know she's negative so I don't have to bother. Forget about that kind of nonsense. I can't tell you how many HIV positive people I know who used that condoms sometimes plan and ended up becoming infected. 

You need to get on with your life. This site is not your parking spot everytime you get another thought about HIv or your sex life.

If you come back with more of this kind of nonsense you will get a time out for 28 days. Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

Worried over protected exposure
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 06:12:30 pm »

It's been a year since my last post. After all the knowledge about HIV, here I go again comitting the same mistake. I was really looking for sex that night so I had an encounter with a CSW. I used a condom and let her suck it, then we had vaginal sex using the same condom. Should I be worried? Has there any been documented case where a male got infected even if a condom was used?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Worried over protected exposure
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 06:19:19 pm »
Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 06:44:17 pm »

Thanks Rod!

I actually looked for my older posts there's a notice to just started a new thread if the post is old. So that's what I did. Nonetheless, I hope you can give some advice on my situation. Looking forward. Thanks!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 06:49:06 pm »
Doesn't apply to this forum and had you read the thread, "Read Before Posting" you would have known.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:05 pm »
I've merged your threads here so use only this one in the future in this forum.

And again you are worrying needlessly. Getting a blowjob is not a risk for HIV even with a condom being used. And using a condom for intercourse, no matter whom you are with, gives you very effective protection.

There is no need for testing nor for further concern about HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline lilboyblue

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 07:49:46 pm »

Thanks Andy! What a relief.  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.