Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 376
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Scared or anxiety????  (Read 6400 times)

Offline ScaredGuy123

Scared or anxiety????
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:30:24 am »
Hello heres my situation. (sorry for my english)

I`ve had problems around this before, and always think im infected. But I just want to be sure that I didnt go through the acute HIV thing.

I had unprotected vaginal sex with a regular girl at my age(24). Im a boy btw. I asked if she had a condom, but she didnt, so I felt kind of pressed to do it without. She assured me that she never had ANY sex-diseases before. 2 days after the event, I got a low fever 38Celsius, swollen and sore lymph nodes, tired headache(mild). Im in the militery, so I had to wake up in the mornings and start daily routine. I wasnt that sick, I just felt cold, and such. I had nightswets 2 days in a row. And the fever lasted around 3 days. The swollen lymph nodes were there maybe max for a week. And I had a cough after that. After this i havent felt any other symptoms, maybe some mild headaches and some pain around the body which I dont think much about because they are not very painful.

Many of my friends suffered from regular coughs and that. But none had a fever.

I got very scared because she`d told me after the sex that she`d lived in south africa for half a year. But she tested for everything and she actually assured me that she didnt have any diseases 110%.. But still im very scared.

Recently (4weeks after the event) I got a "dry" throat. Not hurting, just makes me cough 10-15 times a day. I have no swollen lymph nodes, had no rash at all, no direa, no PAINFUL muscle or joint aches. Maybe some, but those were not very painful.

I live in Norway with a low amout of Hiv/aids infected. But the fact that she stayd in south africa for a half year scared the hell out of me. And she wasnt concerned not using a condom, which also scared me.

I`ve read alot about hivaids, and Im trying to tell myself that its very not likely that I got HIV. But still...
I dont want to get tested in the militery, afraid to test postiv and get thrown out of here. I will test at week 5 at home.  Is there any other sex-diseases that can cause this fever  ? just wondering

So my symptoms after 2 days were :

Mild fever (38C)
Headache
Swollen Lymph nodes for max a week(ONLY IN NECK) First right side, then left side, then both kind of.
Maybe low appetite because of the pain in the lymph nodes( I slept most of those days )

Could I be one of the few that got the mild acute hiv ? Or is it  my mind playing with me. Ive tested for hiv before, because I felt scared another time with a NO-risk event.

Thanks for any answers. I will never have unprotected sex again!!

Sorry if it got hard to read, and again sorry for my bad english.

Thanks again!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello, im new here. Am I infected?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:05:44 am »
Let's keep this simple. Yes, you did have a risk. But as the insertive partner, your risk was lower than for the receptive partner.

HIV is a fragile virus. It is not easily transmitted. It is significantly harder to accomplish transmission from female to male than the other way around. And this was a single incident. All of those factors are in your favor against transmission having occured.

You can test initially at 6 weeks. If you get a negative result, then it is very likely that you will continue to test negative at 3 months.

As for your symptoms, there is nothing HIV specific about them. If they persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

Good luck with your tests. The odds are in your favor.
Andy Velez

Offline ScaredGuy123

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:37:33 am »
Thanks for the answer.
There are about 300 infected each year in Norway. Ca half is homosexual, and half are immigrats and people who have sex in other countries with sex-workers. So I know that im in a really really low risk. But still kind of scared. Ive been immagined how it would be to live with it, and the only problem with that I can find, is that you cannot have a regular wife, and your own kids :S Thats what really scares me..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »
Well, let's not go what might happen if you are infected.

The odds are in your favor that you aren't going to test positive.

You are about 2 weeks away from being able to do a preliminary test. Assuming you test negative at 6 weeks then it is very likely you will test negative for a conclusive result at 3 months.

Also as a footnote I will say that you need to stop putting yourself at risk in this way. Low risk is not the same as no-risk. You can have intercourse with anyone you want to. But you need to do it the safer way. That means always using a condom. No exceptions.

So stop worrying about your future when odds are you are going to test negative. 
Andy Velez

Offline ScaredGuy123

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »
Hey again. Recently Ive gotten a very mild cold .. I produce some ?slime? but not much. My lymph nodes havent been swollen until today(if they are swollen they are not large), they doesnt hurt very bad, not much at all. Im not having pain in my throat, and I cant feel the lymph nods when im swolloing, and im also have a minor ?airtight? nose.. I have the same energi as before. At the start some days ago, I mostly had a dry cough, but now there are more slime. I mean, 4 weeks ago I had a 2 days fever with swollen lymph nodes, and sore throat. The cough is very mild. Maybe cough 10 times a day max.

I can feel the lymphnodes in my groin, but they havent swollen. Do they sit very close to the skin ? or am I feeling something else ?  Anyways, ive always had them there.

Going to test this Thursday or Friday.

Can anybody please tell me, does this sound like hiv ? Since ive had 2 kind of sickness in so short period. All my friends had cough and all that, but got free for it. Now its only my. Ive always had a very good immune system I think, never been any sick with fever and such for a long time.

Can anybody from experience tell me if his acts like this ?
If you have contracted HIV, wouldnt it make your immune system weak, so if u get a small cold, it will be bad after a while or ?

Sorry for my englsh..

Appriciate EVERY answer ! Thanks !

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:16:48 pm »
Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status when there is a question. And there is nothing even remotely HIV specifc about any symptoms you are mentioning.

You have a couple of weeks to wait for your test. There is nothing more for us to say at this time beyond that the odds are in your favor that you will test negative. So now you just have to wait. 

Andy Velez

Offline ScaredGuy123

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:02:34 am »
Im getting tested today. How trustworty will the result be ?

Exposure 1. May
1month and 3 days later the test will take place. How certain would the test be ?

Im still having a "cold" with alot of slime. My throat is not red, and I dont think my lymph nodes are swollen, hard to tell. They are not sore. Still have a tight nose, and I feel fine. No lack of energi or anything. Just coughin up slime once in a while..

If I test positive, will I start treatment right away ? Im scared as hell..

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 07:09:06 am »
Im getting tested today. How trustworty will the result be ?

Exposure 1. May
1month and 3 days later the test will take place. How certain would the test be ?

Im still having a "cold" with alot of slime. My throat is not red, and I dont think my lymph nodes are swollen, hard to tell. They are not sore. Still have a tight nose, and I feel fine. No lack of energi or anything. Just coughin up slime once in a while..

If I test positive, will I start treatment right away ? Im scared as hell..

Scared,

1 month is a good indication that you will test negative at 13 weeks. But you will have to wait this out. There are no shortcuts when it comes to HIV testing.

You could test at 6 weeks if you like but should that test result be negative (and it will be) you will still have to wait on the 13 week result.

Your symptoms are irrelevant to the HIV testing process. Nothing you describe is consistent with the symptoms some people report during acute HIV infection.

MtD

Offline ScaredGuy123

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:29:13 pm »
"You could test at 6 weeks if you like but should that test result be negative (and it will be) you will still have to wait on the 13 week result."

Sorry I dont understand english so well. But I didnt get this. I could test at 6 weeks, and it will be negative if I still have HIV ? Or i didnt quite understand.. sorry!

I did test today. For everything.. He also gave me pencillin for the cold problems Ive got. I really dont need it, but im going out in the field for 4 weeks now, and should take it to get better. He said I had a lung-infection..

But thanks for answering !!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:52:31 pm by ScaredGuy123 »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:36:48 am »
"You could test at 6 weeks if you like but should that test result be negative (and it will be) you will still have to wait on the 13 week result."

Sorry I dont understand english so well. But I didnt get this. I could test at 6 weeks, and it will be negative if I still have HIV ? Or i didnt quite understand.. sorry!

I did test today. For everything.. He also gave me pencillin for the cold problems Ive got. I really dont need it, but im going out in the field for 4 weeks now, and should take it to get better. He said I had a lung-infection..

But thanks for answering !!

Hi Scared,

What I mean is you have to test at 13 weeks. If you're really worried you can get a test at 6 weeks.

If the 6 week test is negative then you can be almost certain the 13 week test will be negative too.

But you must get tested at 13 weeks to be sure.

I'm sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

MtD

Offline ScaredGuy123

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 12:09:35 pm »
Ok I see. Thanks

One thing that accured today was a really really bad headache and vomitting. I felt pain in my eye kind of, and the back of my head. It was bad.

The thing is; I was sitting on the plane and felt sick to vomit. I was drinking alcohol from 22.00 - 03.00, so i was kind of drunk. I went home 05.00, and the plane went 4 hours later, so I slept maybe 2 hours. I felt sick on the plane, and when we should land, I start vommitting and suddenly had a very bad headache in my right eye and back of my head. I thought my head was gonna explode ! I was truly scared. And I read that people with HIV its common to have pain in the eye, so I was certain I got hiv, which made the experience even more scary. I was so stressed at that time. I did vommit for 1min, then I felt good in my stomache, but the headache was there until we landed, so maybe 15min or so.

I feel unconfortable in my right ?temple? (the soft side of the brain, right side). And its been unconfortable for a while. Its not hurting or anything.

Ive never had such an attack before, and I do not suffer from migrene. I feel fine now, slept some hours.

Is this common with people early stage HIV ?
Or could It be the situation on the plane, and the pressure that made me have a bad attack. I overheared the crew said that its not a good pressure in the cabbine or something.
If you have HIV, do you suffer from headache all the time, or just when you have an acute infection ?

At the time I had the attack, I was 100% certain I did have hiv. Im so feking scared.

I do take penicilin for the airway infection the docter said ive got. The side effects could be headache, and sick to vomit. But this headache was not from the penicillin, it was really really bad.

Sorry for posting so many questions, im just so scared !
thanks!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:12:17 pm by ScaredGuy123 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:48:44 pm »
Right now you are busily (mis)interpreting everything that happens to your body through HIV jitters. Nothing you are reporting is in anyway HIV specific.

Discuss your symptoms with your doctor. I don't see any evidence they have anything to do with HIV.

And I expect your test result when take it will prove that.
Andy Velez

Offline ScaredGuy123

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 01:37:31 pm »
Thanks Andy!

I have tested last Friday, so its one week since the test.. How long does it take for a test to be.. tested?
I havent experienced any other symptoms than the "cold" .. Ive been in the field for one week, and its been cold and warm and such.. I coughed alot of slime, and sometimes the cough were " dry ".. The doctor gave me pencillin, that didnt work that good, but its alot better now. cough maybe twice a day if because of the dry throat.. I havent had any sore throat.. I keep checking for my lymphnodes.. I can feel them SLITGHLY in my neck, but as I remeber I can always feel them such way.. So I guess they arent swollen, I cant feel anything in my armpits. I can feel the lymph nodes in my groin, but I they always been that way, dont know if that is normal or what..

If the lymph nodes are swollen, would I had a difficult time swolling ? or felt anything in the neck while swolloing? Or is it hard to sense that the lymphnodes are swollen for a regular guy ?

One last question; How long does a test take ? I tested at my lokal doctor.

Ive gone through all the statistics in my country for HIV infection, and its like 250 each year, and most of them are infection out of country and migrates from africa.. So if ive contracted HIV I would been really really unlucky. So I guess im fine. But im still having a tough time thinking IF ive got it.. Would ruined my life.

Thanks for answers Andy and Matty. Really appreciate it.

And one thing, I asked my doctor if I had to take a retest since its only gone 1 month since exposure.. And he was like, naaah.. I read alot about it, and should be tested at 3 monthes just to be sure.

Anyways, a 1 month 3 days test, would it be accurate ? I need some prove that can make me feel better.

Thanks again !

Offline ScaredGuy123

Scared or anxiety????
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 02:17:24 am »
Hello I am a boy from scandinavia. I had unprotected sex with a swedish nurse for about 44 days ago. She clamed she got tested right before we had sex. But im still fcking scared. And im scared I just got some symptoms for acute HIV. It started on Sunday morning. I was feeling weak (though I drank 3 days in a row, but didnt drink that much alcohol), I had zero appetite. The next day I felt the same, weak, low appetite, and had a sore throat when I woke up.

I could feel that one of the lymphnodes in my neck were swollen and kind of sensitive.  Now today (22.05) I woke up with sore throat, with slime in my throat, and Im not feeling 100%. I cant feel any swollen lymphnods anywhere else on my body except the neck. I also found 2 red spots in the top of my mouth. I cough if I want to get rid of the slime in my throat. I suddenly I start to sweat, for about 2-3min, then it goes over. Anxiety or are my body struggeling with making anti-material.

And everyone on the net, there are symptoms.. I just find symptoms all the time, I like if I have 4-5-6-7 spots on my back, I get so scared if it is a rash or something.

I really think I have insane anxiety of attracting HIV... but now I dont know whether I have it or not !

If I have it, I will lose my job (soldier), since its not allowed to go to war with those kind of illnesses. I have ordered a time to check myself in 9 days. But im really scared.

I would really like some advice! Is this to late for a acute HIV symptoms? or should they be more serious?
I will use a condom from now on...

Thanks!

Offline ScaredGuy123

Re: Scared or anxiety????
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 02:20:58 am »
And I also want to say, that I was with the doctor yesterday. And she tested me with a sting in my finger, saying she tested If my body was started to get a virus or bacterial infection. But she said I was totally fine. But I have sore throat ? I didnt get that test really..

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 02:26:02 am »
You must keep all your questions, thoughts and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and give you the best advice we can.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the "Show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

I would also draw your attention to the posting guidelines for Am I Infected? which are outlined in our Welcome Thread.

Please note that your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 04:57:21 am »
Scared,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Neither symptoms nor even the lack of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing will. However, nothing you report sounds like acute hiv infection. It started far too late for one thing. Symptoms of seroconversion usually happen around the second or third week.

The symptoms that some (not all) people experience are not due to the virus itself. They are due to the process the body goes through while producing antibodies. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will produce antibodies and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week (or more) negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change. 

It is not clear whether or not you were tested for hiv. If you were, that negative result is not likely to change, but you must test again at the three month point.

A year ago you said...

I will never have unprotected sex again!!

And now you're saying the same thing. I hope you mean it this time.

I will use a condom from now on...

You need to stop being an idiot and having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Not only are you putting yourself at risk for hiv, but you're also putting yourself at risk for all the other STIs - and unwanted children as well. Wise up already! You can't go by what someone tells you about their hiv status. Many people only assume they're hiv negative and some people will lie.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.