Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:05:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 367
Total: 367

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: truvada/reyataz/norvir side effects?  (Read 11356 times)

Offline axell

truvada/reyataz/norvir side effects?
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:04:06 pm »
Hello,
I started a treatment in 2000 with Sustiva, 3tc and d4t.  I had to stop in September 2003 because of resistance to Sustiva.  This month will be 4 years off meds. I have never had any aids related opportunistic diseases. My cd4 were stable for the last 3 years but at the beginning of this year, started to decline. They are now at 325 & vl at 47000.  The drug holiday is now over!
My doctor has prescribed Truvada, Reyataz 300mg and Norvir 100mg.
Two questions:
For those taking this treatment, could you tell me what are the major side effects of these meds when starting ?
Since I’m leaving on Friday for 3 weeks, travelling in Italy, should I postponed the treatment until I come back?
Thank you for you help.
Axell
axell

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: truvada/reyataz/norvir side effects?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:47:55 pm »
My doctor has prescribed Truvada, Reyataz 300mg and Norvir 100mg.
Two questions:
For those taking this treatment, could you tell me what are the major side effects of these meds when starting ?

Hey Ax Here are some links for you

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Truvada_1584.shtml

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Reyataz_1563.shtml

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Norvir_1561.shtml

In general the Reyataz Truvada Norvir regimen has a relatively good reputation in terms side effects being mild or better. This was my first regimen. I had an adjustment period of about 8 days with diarrea and asthma but after that I was practically free of any med side effects period. I was switched to another regimen because one of the 3 meds (I forgot which one) was raising my eosinophil count. The switch solved that. Best wishes, AH

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:59:30 pm »
It would be wise to keep some Imodium on hand in case of diarrhea.  You could prob take one each day as a regular part of your treatment, to help alleviate this.  When I was on Fortovase for 6 years (same class as Norvir) I took an Imodium once a day.  It really helped!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:04:20 pm by MOONLIGHT1114 »
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline cruisin512

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:21:36 pm »
I am on Reyataz and Epzicom with the Norvir booster.  I switched to this combo three weeks ago from Atripla (Sustiva/Truvada).

Things are great.  I have had no side effects (unlike Atripla).  In fact, in the digestive department things are more "solid" than they were on Atripla.

In addition, my anxiety and sleep issues are better in check.

If I were you, I would wait until you're back in the good ol' USA to start your new meds.  Of course, you and your Doc have the say on that.

Good luck to you.

Offline Paulette

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 11:11:22 am »
I'm on the same meds and have been since 2/2007 it's my 3rd set of meds and i found that the side effects are better than all the others (rarely any at all) but each of us are different and respond different to the meds.  Good luck ;D
i hope this helps.
Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline Paulette

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:16:56 am »
I forgot to mention that these are the first meds to get my virus under control

1. combivir & viracept :(
2. atripla :P had an allergic reaction to this one
3.truvada, reyataz, and norvir ;D
Poz since 11/7/2003
CD4-843
VL-<50

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:23:00 am »
It would be wise to keep some Imodium on hand in case of diarrhea.  You could prob take one each day as a regular part of your treatment, to help alleviate this.  When I was on Fortovase for 6 years (same class as Norvir) I took an Imodium once a day.  It really helped!

A 100 mg dose which is just used as a booster is SIGNIFICANTLY less liquid shit producing (I've been on this for 18 months).  But yes, I still take some imodium and am a firm believer in always having it on hand.

I'm convinced that Truvada causes a lot of flatulence but I don't see it listed in the aidsmeds link.  I'm quite sure I've seen numerous others state a similar experience on this forum but I'm too lazy to do a search on this heinously sluggish mess of a web board.  Pancrecarb is quite helpful in countering this however.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:24:31 am by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 11:51:17 am »
I'm convinced that Truvada causes a lot of flatulence but I don't see it listed in the aidsmeds link..

tis the viread(tenofovir) bit of truvada... is mentioned in the prescribing info, if you want to look it up. Taking it with food can help reduce this

kate

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 11:57:41 am »
tis the viread(tenofovir) bit of truvada... is mentioned in the prescribing info, if you want to look it up. Taking it with food can help reduce this

kate

Thanks, just goes to show I never read any of that stuff :)  I generally take my meds with food, so I suppose I'm doing all I can.  Honestly my flatulence has greatly decreased more with Pancrecarb, a digestive enzyme, than with actual food though certainly food is better than an empty stomach.  My GI issues with HIV meds have always been wildly outside the norm for side effects.

http://www.pancrecarb.com/pancrecarb3.htm

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 03:43:17 pm »
Hiya all,

I first started with Truvada ans Sustiva... but developed an allergic reaction to Sustiva in the first weeks and my doctor changed it for Reyataz plus Norvir.

I've been on this combo for more than one year and it is OK for me. A bit of flatulence, true, and some too easy going down there to the bathroom in the first months (having a good set of comics, mistery novels or sunday magazines nearby the WC helps a lot!!! when you are reading you just don't think too much about your diarrhoea, you just let it go...  ;) ).

What I do is taking the meds always with a real meal (at dinner), and not with a snack (sometimes I do a snack if out of home, travelling or at work). I also drink a lactobacillus yoghourt every morning, and a normal youghourt, no sugar, before going to sleep. Rice is a good thing too, and cereals. I avoid taking dairy products everyday, but I do eat some cheese and drink skimmed milk a couple of times during the week.

After 6 months, more or less, my stomach just started to work fine and I have had no need to take Imodium or anything alike. I hope this will keep just like that (knock on wood)

Other side effects: despite flatulence and diarrhoea during the first months, bilirrubin is still very high, but I only got a lillte jaundice, not remarkable at all. Lipids, cholesterol, sugar and the rest of things in blood have always been normal. I eat a lot of fruits and also take a suplement with Omega 3 acid.

From time to time I feel kinda insensibility in my legs and arms, but it ends quicly when I move my arms and legs. I also feel a moderate coming and going pain in my right hip and in the lower part of my back, but it was already there since I got infected. My doctor says this is not due to meds, but probably to an inflammatory process due to the virus itself.

In my face from time to time I feel the skin dry and tend to develop dermatitis, specially when I am exposed to big temperature changes or to the direct sunlight. To control this I use an hydratant creme and also Celestoderm if the thing gets red and itching.

And that's all at the moment.

This combo has worked very good for me, I got undetectable in less than 1 month and my CD4 have been increasing steadily since I started. I hope this keeps working well for a lot of time to come!!!!

Regards!!!

love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline Gaguy2know

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 05:34:49 pm »
my regimen is reyataz, truvada, norvir and videx ec.  at the start i had diarrhea and gas .  now after taking them for 4 years i still have occasional bouts with them but like aforementioned try to keep immodium ad advanced for gas and diarrhea on hand.  once a day usually does the trick.  my VL went from 350,000 to undectectable in like 4 months and cd4 went from 300 to 600 in same amount of time.  good luck i hope that helps.

eric
Veni Vidi Vici
Carpe Diem

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 09:19:12 am »
DID YOU KNOW THAT THE NORVIR HAS TO BE KEPT IN THE REFRIGERATOR?THIS IS THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM THAT I HAVE ENCOUNTERED WHILE ON NORVIR.IT MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO TRAVEL .

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 09:30:52 am »
I was on reyataz for 6 months before I became resistant. I had terrible diarrhea and stomach problems. Nuclear diarrhea 24/7. I dont seem to have many bad sides from norvir,which made me deathly ill in the old liquid form,and truvada has no sides on me,even though viread and emtriva by themselves caused nausea so bad I actually thought about you know what. Not all people have the same sides.
Norvir does not have to be stored in fridge if you use it in 60 days.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 10:43:43 am »
This refrigeration issue with Norvir when traveling has been a huge, numerous misconception on these boards from what I've seen previously.  I don't get it.  Who is giving you these instructions Armando?  There is NO labeling on the prescription bottle stating this nor should there be.  If there is one on yours you need to correct your pharmacist.

Just because you see them yank it out of a fridge at the pharmacy (like I do) does not mean you need to keep it chilled.  Now, if you're storing 3 month orders at home than yes, store it like that.  But your immediate 30-day bottle need not ever be kept cool.

Offline Paulette

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 12:00:01 pm »
Thanks Philly
I'll check  with my pharmacist, cause it plainly states on my bottle to be refridgerated.
And I'm always worried when i travel about keeping it cool with ice packs and stuff like that and it worries me that I'm not keeping it cool enough at times.
thanks for the info.I'll check into it.
Paulette

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 12:16:52 pm »
Paulette, if you go to Abbott Laboratories Norvir web site at:

http://www.norvir.com/5_7_4_product_labeling.cfm

Click on the Norvir Patient Information and it will say exactly what I'm telling you.  The ONLY time it needs to be in a refrigerator during the 30-day period is if it's exposed to temperatures over 77 F/25 C.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 12:22:43 am »
Paulette, if you go to Abbott Laboratories Norvir web site at:

http://www.norvir.com/5_7_4_product_labeling.cfm

Click on the Norvir Patient Information and it will say exactly what I'm telling you.  The ONLY time it needs to be in a refrigerator during the 30-day period is if it's exposed to temperatures over 77 F/25 C.

Yep, that's what my bottle says too. Unfortunately, my house usually stays between 85 and 95 degrees F during the summer when I'm not home and the cooler is off.

Hence, I refrigerate mine. No biggie.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 08:27:28 am »
that was exactly my point !!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 10:42:23 am »
that was exactly my point !!!

Well, you actually stated:

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE NORVIR HAS TO BE KEPT IN THE REFRIGERATOR?THIS IS THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM THAT I HAVE ENCOUNTERED WHILE ON NORVIR.IT MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO TRAVEL .

I've traveled repeatedly with Norvir and had no issues.  What exactly are you doing with your pills?  I guess if you're traipsing through the Sahara you might need to worry but I just don't really see the issue frankly.

A flight to Europe with your Norvir in your carry-on bag is NOT going to do anything to the medicine.  I advise you to speak to your doctor and describe what your problems are with this issue, as I'm confident your worrying about nothing.

Wasn't this issue discussed with you over a year ago?

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=3098.msg35011#msg35011
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:47:44 am by philly267 »

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 06:05:39 pm »
I keep norvir in the refrigerator and only take out the pills I will need when out of home.

For going to the job I always take a 2 day dose in my pillbox to be sure I will have my meds in case something unexpected happens: transportation problems, impreviewed work travels, etc. I do this because this has happened to me once, fortunately I got home in time to take my meds as scheduled, but I realised then that these things could happen again.

Also you can take with you the doses you need for longer trips, let's say a couple of weeks or so, in your pillboxes, taking care not to expose them to sunlight or heath sources (heathing devices in winter) and also avoiding keeping your pillbox in a pocket in contact with your body. I always carry a little bag or also use my computer bag to store pills when travelling, so they keep fresh and dry.

So you can manage to move with not too much problems with Norvir.

Regars :-)

love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.