Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:47:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773502
  • Total Topics: 66376
  • Online Today: 413
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 329
Total: 329

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Transgender panel.  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Transgender panel.
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:36:11 pm »
O hai.

I'm annoying with all this stuff but you guys are really good with ideas and things.

My GSA and I decided that I'll be replacing our normal meeting two weeks from tonight with a transgender lecture and panel thing. I know what things I want to focus on, but I figure the best way I'll be able to help is to answer the questions that people REALLY need to know.

As someone that's kinda been immersed in trans stuff since I was a preteen I really don't know what's not general knowledge anymore. I've been asking around and stuff but you guys are pretty good, too. Especially since there are a lot of gay folks here and I'll be speaking to a predominantly gay group. The issues are unique because the misunderstandings about trans people within the gay community are different from the misunderstandings about trans people within the hetero community. I've gotten the worst prejudice from gay folks, to be completely honest.

If you were sitting in on a trans info thing what would you be interested in asking? Like really interested? I know there are going to be a lot of people to shy to ask some questions so I'd like to address those without them having to ask.

If you have any ideas at all please let me know. I really appreciate it. I needt o start putting together an outline of my talk. And it's going to be a really large group of kids so I kind of want it organized so I don't look like a twit.

Offline emeraldize

Re: Transgender panel.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:45:55 am »
Hi Mouse,

First, I think I'd want to hear a bit about your life and dealing with being transgendered. In the process, you would define it, and help me to envision what life is like looking through your eyes, experiencing your body and helping your body to be redefined.

Go larger. Are there any famous people, dead or alive, who are transgendered? Have they written anything about it? Articles, movies, plays?

How do the medical folks treat you and others? The docs, nurses, psychologists, psychiatrists? Are they kind and understanding, is it a mixed bag as with most everything else?

Then, open it up to questions. You might get a few, or a lot. It's a topic few people have ever had a chance to think about, let alone discuss.

Don't be concerned, you will never, as you say, look like a twit. You are giving them the experience of a college lifetime and more.

Em

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:32:31 pm »
I would be interested to know when you first realised you were stuck in the wrong body.

Did you hate your pre-op body?

How long does the process take from first hormones to final transition.

Has your family been understanding?

Are  most transgender people attracted to the opposite sex or is there an equal "homosexuals after the transition.

Good luck Mouse. I am proud of you.

Hermie

Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 06:26:25 pm »
Cover the real basics little one.

While it's a topic that I fell I should know something about, in all honesty I know diddly shit. I suspect it's the same for a lot of folk and maybe even more so for gays - feeling they should know and just sorta nodding like they do know but in reality 100% ignorant and a little embarassed to admit and/or ask questions.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Jody

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:22:57 pm »
Yes Jaser you are correct in stating that there is some degree of prejudice towards transgendered folks in the gay community.  I have heard some very rude comments such as "Well if I wanted to be a with a woman I would just be straight" and other such disparaging remarks from men who should know better and be more understanding of those in our society who are perceived by a large number of people to be different and even inferior.  That is not true and as a young person starting out in college Jaser, you are doing an admirable thing in your endeavor. 

For some gay men, anyone who is not perceived to be this "perfect" guy with youth, a hot bod and all the right attributes is not even worthy of equal rights and respect.  This is pretty awful.  I'm not saying I don't like nice looking fellows but everyone has the right to live their lives to the fullest.

A while back I feel bad as I was probably having a bad day when I posted here about all the "ugly folks" on the subway.  Well those good people are there during the morning rush for the same reasons I am- to earn a living and make a better life for themselves (and do so in an environmentally friendly fashion ;)).  So a little love for all folks goes a long way toward making them feel better about themselves and us to feel better as well.  I can't imagine the pressures transgendered folks must feel daily, what with so many prejudiced people including some gays who should certainly be more tolerant of those who don't come from a cookie cutter.

For example our LGBT center in Manhattan represents lesbians, gays, bisexuals AND transgendered people and provide ALL of the above a safe haven and all the resources they need and deserve.

Good luck.  I think you have quite a future!!!

Jody  :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:52:50 pm »
You might want to consider including a brief mention of what's been going on with activism, hearings and briefings on GLBT issues. I got an e-mail today about an upcoming briefing but could not locate anything in Google. Here's the link to the hearing in June. http://www.nctequality.org/hearing.html

Offline next2u

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 12:04:08 am »
id be interested in discrimination. id be more interested in certain aspects of intersectionality -- personal politics. id be most interested in a dialogue on sexuality and gender. it seems there is a small community of gay trans folks and id like to know more about that community. as far as intersectionality, id like to know the differences between people who identify with multiple groups (ethnic groups, sexual identity, class, gender and nonconformity). i know the last request in a mouthful, but it definitely gives me a mental boner.

and reflection. i want to know how trans people feel about people's perceptions of themselves. a lot of people say this isn't important -- that what other people think of us doesnt matter. i think it has an impact. take away what you want from this. if you want more info hit me up on an im.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 02:40:29 am »
I would be interested to know when you first realised you were stuck in the wrong body.

Did you hate your pre-op body?

Hey Hermie! :-*

The Smaller One is a little busy with College at the moment, so I thought I might address this point. It's commonly held that transsexuals are "trapped in the wrong body" and gender reassignment is about being liberated from that "wrong body".

Actually, it's not so.

Jaser has a perfectly fine body, It's the only body he has and is, therefore, the right body for him. I know that might seem a bit odd and since I'm cisgendered (ie the opposite of a transgendered person) I can't really explain it properly. I'll drop the Skweeker a message and ask him to step in and address this issue.

Love,

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 09:15:00 am »
Jaser, you don't have to feel compelled to cover "everything" all at once. Keep it simple. Cover some basics along the lines that have been suggested and then perhaps allow some time for questions.

Great that you're doing this. Good luck and enjoy yourself with it. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 01:30:50 pm »
Yeah, Matty was pretty close.

I mean, I don't hate my body. Maybe I did at one point, but it's a useless thing to feel. What I've learned to do, and what most trans people learn to do, is to just accept what they've got and do what they feel comfortable with with what they have. I know I'm never going to have a bio male body. There's nothing I can do to change that.

There are some things I am not comfortable doing because of the way I'm equipped and how dysphoric I am, but that doesn't mean all trans people feel the same way. Some may feel worse. It's an individual thing.

But yes. I like to think of myself as a 'man inhabiting a female body' rather than someone 'trapped in the wrong body'. It's my body. It happens to be one perceived as typically female. The insecurities I have about it are all because of society's misconception about what men are supposed to be. The things that I am not comfortable doing due to my dysphoria are not things I need to do to be happy. The only way my body inhibits me is because of the notions of others.

I am well adjusted to what I have to work with. We all do the best we can. None of us have perfect bodies. I hate the 'trapped in the wrong body' thing.

Would I prefer to be a bio male? Yeah. On a fundamental level all of us just want to be accepted and feel like we are 'normal'. But I not! And I am not less than a bio male because I'm trans. I am just as good. The bodies of trans people are JUST AS GOOD as the bodies of cisgender people.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 04:35:42 am »
Thanks Jaser and Matty.

My remarks are based on what I have heard and learned on transgender issues.
I bet most of the population thinks "you're trapped in the wrong body".

I can only applaude your initiative as it is a very gray matter for most of us.

Good luck,

Hermie

PS Can you explain "cisgender" please?
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 07:40:00 am »
Thanks Jaser and Matty.

My remarks are based on what I have heard and learned on transgender issues.
I bet most of the population thinks "you're trapped in the wrong body".

I can only applaude your initiative as it is a very gray matter for most of us.

Good luck,

Hermie

PS Can you explain "cisgender" please?

'Cisgender' is just a fancy way of saying 'not transgender'.

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 10:37:58 am »
My two cents, when I used to speak in college regarding my same sex attractions I tended to just shoot from the hip. While I did have a general outline, I tried to keep the outline structured loosely and following a linear path from birth to my young adult life.

I felt that people connected more to the story this way and could better comprehend it by finding similarities in their own lives.
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 11:11:40 am »
We had a panel of transgendered people come to one of our classes when I was in school. I found the distinction between "sexual orientation" and "gender identification" to be helpful. Also it is just interesting to hear people's stories. I hope it goes well.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 11:15:49 am »
We had a panel of transgendered people come to one of our classes when I was in school. I found the distinction between "sexual orientation" and "gender identification" to be helpful. Also it is just interesting to hear people's stories. I hope it goes well.

Yes, thanks for bringing that up. That's a big deal to most people. The majority just doesn't seem to get the simple difference between who you love and who you are.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.