Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:25:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 457
Total: 457

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Not Wanting To Eat  (Read 8022 times)

Offline bluelove

Not Wanting To Eat
« on: November 07, 2006, 04:36:51 pm »
Has anyone here gone through the same?

The last two months l eat dinner and that is it I am simply not hungry and l am aware it is not good to be missing meals at all

I am not depressed nor is my meds talked to my Doctor all ready.He said try six small meals a day. I am having a hard time even doing that.

All doughnut jokes aside cause l really don't like them much.

Have any idea's or help?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Not Wanting To Eat
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:51:41 pm »
Blue I did the same thing lost about 40 lbs. before being hospitalized for HISTO. I would eat a few bites and slide it back. You might have them check for other things if it continues. Hope you get better soon.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 05:35:55 pm »
Well I guess smoking alittle pot would be against the law right?  Blue please talk with your doctor about it and even if the craving is not there, eat....   

Offline gemini20

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:36:20 pm »
Hi Blue,

I've been through phases like this with food - it nearly always co-incides with stress in my life. Eating regular meals is the first thing that goes when I get stressed.

My usual solution is to treat myself to foods that I might not ordinarily eat i.e. sweet desserts, chocolate, ice cream and have plenty of them in the house so that i can build up my appetite again with these treats and then slowly swap back to healthier stuff.

Another thing I have is a juicer which allows me to make delicious fruit/vegetable drinks which I sometimes find go down easier than the thought of a meal.

The key for me is to identify what's causing the stress and deal with that - then the eating tends to return to a more regular pattern.

Hope your appetite returns soon.

Best wishes,

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:42:46 pm »
Low dose steroids, works every time.

However, Emma's suggestions are a better solution.

- matt

Now playing: K T Tunstall, Heal Over
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline allanq

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:54:05 pm »
Over the years, I've gone through many periods when I simply had no appetite. There have been times when even the smell or sight of food has made me nauseous.

When I have problems eating, I find that drinking a cool protein shake is a lot easier than trying to force myself to eat a regular meal. I mix some protein powder (MLO Milk and Egg Protein) with 16 oz. of milk in a blender. It has loads of protein and other nutrients and a mild flavor that I find pleasant. I ordered it through www.vitacost.com , which has the cheapest prices around. You can add fruit, like a banana or berries to enhance the flavor and make it even more nutritious.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to live on these shakes, but they've been a big help to me in maintaining my weight.

I hope this helps.

Allan

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 06:33:38 pm »
I often have the same problem eating. When I mentioned it to my id doc in the past, he wanted me to start taking Marinol which did nothing for me. As Eric said, weed will help you eat but I'm not trying to turn you into a pothead like myself. But honestly even with smoking like I do, I still don't get in all those means like I should, considering that I'm also diabetic. The funny thing is that I still seem to be gaining weight but only a pound or 2 here and there. I would discuss this problem with your doc. Good Luck
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:36:57 pm »
A little more information?  Does the presence of food or its smell bother you?  If not, it could be a call for trying new foods, new cuisines.  For some reason, I back myself into food boredom from time to time, meaning that food simply isn't interesting to eat so I sort of try and sort of stop trying.  I recently started putting Chinese sauces (they have a strange brown 'lobster' sauce which I had never seen before as an example) in frozen vegetables, my evening meal, and suddenly I look forward to eating them.  I try to stay clear of adding salt and 'bad' things, so I can end up cooking bland meals, hence the boredom.   Your doctor is also good to suggest the small meal concept, in which case buy small amounts of all sorts of things and see if you can trick yourself into eating lot's of them.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 08:37:19 pm »
Hello Blue,

You are right, it's not good to be missing meals during the day. And, your doctor is right , try eating smaller portions, but instead of eating three meals a day try 5 or 6. I will have these occassional phases, when I am just not hungry, but, I know I should be eating something. It doesn't happen that often, and usually I have a pretty healthy appetite.

Small cans of soups are always tasty. They Contain water, so it will help in  keeping you hydrated. I like the low sodium variety the best. But try to get the better quality of soups. They help to take the edge off. Always try healthy snacks, during the day. I also like carrot sticks, celery sticks, radishes, apples, banana's.... All this is good for you, and will also help take off the edge, and help prepare you a a bigger meal meal later on in the day.

It is really important, to keep up with good nutrition, I do know it can be difficult at times.

Take care of yourself-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 09:33:12 pm »
Blue, honey, I'm right there with you.

I usually have a very healthy appetite. Just as Jan (AnnieBC).

But the past two or three weeks, I've had to force myself to eat. Today, I had a bowl of cream of rice for breakfast.

I didn't eat again until this evening, when I had a chicken thigh and a small salad. That's all I can handle.

I will make myself eat a banana or something like that at 9 p.m. when I take my Niaspan. You're supposed to take it with food.

Not that doing without big meals is going to hurt me. I am probably pushing 160 pounds, or at least 158, and I'm 5'11'' tall, so I don't want to pork out too much.

But still, I would like to eat a real meal, with at least more vegetables than a salad.

I would ask you doc if Marinol might help. It doesn't do squat for me, except make me sick. But other people swear by it.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 01:20:15 am »
Hi Blue,

I'm certain you already know this, a person living with HIV/AIDS can get a prescription for medical marijuana and have been able to do so for the past 10 years.  Proposition 215 was passed in 1996 by an overwhelming margin in California.  The State of California issues Medical Marijuana Identifications cards for the cost of $80.00 per year, $40.00 per year for those on Medi-Cal.

These cards give the holder the right to go into any number of clubs licensed under H.S. Code 11362.5 and purchase their medicine at street prices.

However as a public servant, someone who drives public owned vehicles, you would be bound by DOT, Federal Motor Carrier Administration 49CFR Parts 390 and 391.  You could be pulled out of the vehicle at any time during, before or after your shift for a drug test.  In your case as a public servant, Federal law will probably supercede state law and you could lose everything.

Last year, I was put on Trizivir and could not eat and when I did eat, it came right back up.  I took my pills everyday, no matter how bad I felt and after a month, I was back to what is normal for me.  That raises another issue, what is normal for me?  My ideal weight for my height is 155 lbs.  I have not seen that in 10 years since hospitalization with PCP.  Today, I weigh 125 lbs and feel like Porky Pig at the Beach.

Doctor prescribed Marinol last year, it didn't help and an almost full bottle is in a drawer somewhere.  Through all of this, I usually eat at least one meal each day but never before 7:00 PM.  Doctor prescribed Requip a couple of months ago for Restless Leg Syndrome, I started getting sick again but I took my pills everyday.  Last week, I stopped taking the Requip because I knew that was the reason I was getting sick everyday.  It was not the reason I threw up yesterday or today.  It may be the Trizivir but that is one of the pills we have to take on schedule.

We have a Nutritionist here available through The Center for HIV Prevention and Care and also through Food for Thought, Sonoma County's AIDS Food Bank.  She has prepared some brilliant coursework in nutrition at no cost to the client.  I spoke with her at Basic Needs Committee because she was concerned whether or not we could allocate enough Title I funds at the Funding Allocation Working Group to keep her programs going.  We had to cut another program short of funding because that organization has the ability to raise funds.  Nutrition programs will be available here through FY 2007.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org 

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 01:22:34 am »
Marinol helped me once. It is basically pot in pill form. It really increased my appetite.

I'm sorry you are not wanting to eat. Have you fully recovered from your accident?
I wish you the best,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 01:41:01 am »
I almost forgot...

If you are in a video store, rent "Pumping Iron," our Governator is shown arrogantly smoking pot after winning his 6th Mr. Universe title.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 09:17:26 am »
As some have already mentioned protein drinks are easy they also have added vitamins and amino acids.

Offline Christine

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 02:02:41 pm »
Hi blue,
Yes, I have had a lot of problems this past year with eating. Mine does have to do with nausea/ belly problems. I have tired Marinol, and for me, it did not work. There is also an appetite stimulate drug- megace (sp?). I did not try it, but the doctors did talk about it.

I know it is hard to eat when you really don't want to, but you really need to get the nutrition in you. Carnation makes protein shakes that work. I would add some frozen fruit to them. I also tried Boost or Ensure.

Also, Emma's suggestion of eating what you like regardless of whether or not they are healthy for a short period of time, just to get food in you.

I also nibble a tiny little bit all day long...piece of pretzel, crackers.

And, drinking a sport drink, so you keep up on your electrolytes.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline mlm

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 03:41:11 pm »
I have noticed that if I just keep snack stuff handy that I eat more than trying to eat a compete meal..... But any thought of meat just turns my stomach period. I can not stand the smell, sight, or taste of it anymore.

Offline bluelove

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 05:51:52 am »
Thanks everyone l am going to take some of your ideas and put them into use.

I will let you all know in a few weeks how the battle goes.

Just glad to know l am not alonr in the eating woes.

Blue

Offline alterman

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 05:43:01 am »
Watch a good food tv program like martha stuart it usually works for me.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 12:05:09 am »
Watch a good food tv program like martha stuart it usually works for me.

Bite your tongue, the best show to watch with food in it is Rachel Ray's 30 minutes meals  or Iron Chef America. ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 12:16:05 am »
Hey Blue,

How's the appetite? Any better?

I have sort of recovered mine. I have had a craving for cheese lately - any cheese. Plays hell with my morning "constitutional," but its better than not eating.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 05:55:31 pm »
get yourself a Jack LaLannes power juicer, juice veggies and fruits and pick up some Ensure or Boost so you get nutrients even when your not hungry
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline bluelove

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 05:50:30 pm »
The update...

I have juicer and do use it. I am eating more fruit,cheese,crackers,and bagels.

It is small steps for now my Doctor has no idea what it is.

It may just be the gloomy weather...Who knows?

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 09:32:24 pm »
Hey blue - hope things are going better.  Any chance you would do better eating with someone than to try eating alone?  I know that if I am not in the mood to eat, sometimes being with a friend at a restaurant or at home around dinnertime is a good inducement to eat something.  T

he social aspect of being with someone you like and someone who cares about you is something that can motivate you to eat a bit. 

At my most ill, I fondly remember my bf sitting with me while I ate a few bites of a swiss cheese omlette - I know that if I was alone, I would have skipped it.  Once you get talking and joking, the eating will come naturally, I hope.

Offline bluelove

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 11:30:14 pm »
I tend to eat breakfast with my work partners.

Your right you do eat more when your with friends.

All good my oma is coming to stay with me next week until the new year....

Trust me she will feed me!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.