Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:00:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 473
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AMEN to the Hard-Ons... WARNING... Strong language here...  (Read 40596 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Re: AMEN to the Hard-Ons... WARNING... Strong language here...
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2010, 05:40:04 am »
http://www.natap.org/2010/HIV/070410_02.htm

Back 

Long-term use of anabolic steroids associated with reduced LV ejection fraction

April 29, 2010, Sue Hughes
http://www.theheart.org

Boston, MA - Long-term users of anabolic androgenic steroids have a high risk of developing cardiac dysfunction, which may be severe enough to increase the risk of heart failure, a new study suggests [1].

The study, published online April 27, 2010 in Circulation: Heart Failure, was conducted by a group led by Dr Aaron Baggish (Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA).

Baggish commented to heartwire: "We saw a mild reduction in systolic function in about 80% of the individuals using steroids. Most had ejection fractions of around 49% to 50%, but some showed lower values, down to about 40%. But we saw much more pronounced diastolic dysfunction in the steroid users. This has been reported in the past, but the systolic dysfunction is a new finding. As diastolic dysfunction tends to precede systolic dysfunction, what we appear to be seeing are the consequence of long-term anabolic-steroid use."

In their paper, the researchers note that more than one million American men and women have used anabolic androgenic steroids illicitly to gain muscle and lose body fat. It is believed that long-term illicit use of supraphysiologic doses of these drugs may cause adverse cardiovascular effects, but these remain poorly understood. Recent studies have found evidence of overt left ventricular diastolic dysfunction and subclinical left ventricular systolic impairment (reduced systolic strain with normal LV ejection fraction) in anabolic-steroid users. In addition, there have been numerous case reports of cardiac death among users of these drugs, they add.

In the current study, Baggish et al compared cardiac parameters in male weightlifters who had used anabolic steroids long term with those of age-matched male weightlifters reporting no anabolic-steroid exposure. They recruited their participants from gymnasiums by advertising for experienced male weightlifters to take part in "psychological and medical" evaluations, but the focus on anabolic steroids was not disclosed before enrollment.

Participants were asked about anabolic-steroid use, including specific drugs used, dosages, and durations of use. They were also asked about lifetime alcohol use and use of other illicit substances or performance-enhancing drugs. Echocardiography was conducted to assess left ventricular ejection fraction, LV systolic strain, and conventional indices of diastolic function. The study enrolled 12 anabolic-steroid users and seven nonusers.

Results showed that anabolic-steroid users closely resembled nonusers in age, prior duration of weightlifting, and current intensity of weight training. Left ventricular structural parameters were similar between the two groups. However, anabolic-steroid users had significantly lower LV ejection fraction, longitudinal strain, and radial strain. Ten of the 12 anabolic-steroid users showed LV ejection fractions below the accepted limit of normal (>55%). Steroid users also demonstrated decreased diastolic function compared with nonusers, as evidenced by a markedly lower early peak tissue velocity (E') and E/A (A=late diastolic transmitral blood-flow velocity) ratio.

Cardiac measures in anabolic-steroid users vs nonusers

The authors say that, to their knowledge, this is the first study demonstrating an association between long-term anabolic androgenic steroid use and a clinically relevant reduction in LV ejection fraction. "The reductions in LV systolic function observed in this group of anabolic androgenic steroid users are of a magnitude shown to increase the risk of heart failure and sudden cardiac death in other populations," they add. They conclude that further work is needed to confirm these findings and to determine the extent to which anabolic-steroid-associated cardiac dysfunction leads to adverse clinical outcomes.

To heartwire, Baggish explained that this study enrolled individuals who had been using anabolic steroids for much longer than has been the case in previous studies. They also recruited recreational athletes, whereas previous studies of steroid use have tended to include elite athletes.

Effects underestimated?
"Inevitably, as these substances are used illicitly, these studies are difficult to conduct, because we have to rely on self-reporting. But as people would be more likely to deny use than to admit use, we assume our findings would underestimate the problem rather than overestimate it," he commented. Baggish drew an analogy to the diseases associated with cigarette smoking: "The problems associated with cigarette smoking came to light when smokers were reaching middle age. We are seeing a similar thing here. These anabolic steroids have been available only for about two decades, and most people are young when they use them, and now they're reaching middle age, and the cardiac abnormalities are showing up."

He added that it is not well-known that these drugs have such effects and doctors need to consider anabolic-steroid use as a potential cause of cardiac dysfunction. "There need to be more warnings about this. These drugs are thought of as relatively benign, but we are saying there are major problems associated with their use. We know they cause liver and skin problems, and now we have shown heart problems as well."

Baggish acknowledged that his study was small and has many limitations, but he believes the results are real. "We tried to control for the major confounders such as amount of exercise taken, other performance-enhancing drugs used, and other substance/tobacco use, but we still saw an association between anabolic-steroid use and cardiac dysfunction. But of course this needs confirmation in further studies," he said.

The authors of this study had no conflict of interests.

Source

Aaron L. Baggish, Rory B. Weiner, Gen Kanayama, James I. Hudson, Michael H. Picard, Adolph M. Hutter Jr., and Harrison G. Pope Jr. Long Term Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use is Associated with Left Ventricular Dysfunction Circ Heart Fail first published on April 27, 2010 as doi:10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.109.931063 [Abstract] [PDF] [Data Supplement] 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00:49 am »
Quite simply, owing to the conditions, men suffering from ED are not able to satisfy their partner in the bed.

Such a typically male assumption that a hard dick equals satisfaction. News flash - it doesn't. I've had women tell me that I've satisfied them far more than any man with a hard cock has, and that's before I get my double-header out of the drawer. You men need to get over your dicks and start thinking outside the box - pun intended.

Just sayin'. :)

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2010, 11:33:49 am »
Someone's beating a dead dick horse.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2010, 07:57:38 am »
Such a typically male assumption that a hard dick equals satisfaction. News flash - it doesn't. I've had women tell me that I've satisfied them far more than any man with a hard cock has, and that's before I get my double-header out of the drawer. You men need to get over your dicks and start thinking outside the box - pun intended.

Just sayin'. :)

Walk like a Man baby.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2010, 08:16:21 am »

details, details sweetheart.  For one, from many experiences and hear say, some men just don't know how to FUCK, gay or straight.  Amazing isn't it.  The last thing they do is satisfy their partners and that sucks.  It is the usual "wham, bang, and snore or leave me alone," shit.  I am not surprise that some women just are not happy sexually with their male sex partners.  After all, for some, either you got it or you don't.  However, growing up male, with a cock, dick, penis, what have you, you tend to expect certain things from it.  It's an instinctive animal male thing beautiful.  Like for some they remember their first time, I remember my first "Hard-On," my first wet dream, and my first, second and third cums.  lol (Thank you Mr. Bubbles)  In addition, if you like to give training on how to make successful sexual pleasure for your male or female sex partners, I am all ears.  Since some only know the "Missionary Postion," which is sad for it is the 21st century already, they may have interest in how to make sex more enjoyable.  Please be as graphic as possible and have pictures available. 

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2011, 11:53:34 pm »
I am getting steroids, gel form, but its effects are limited and it maybe the Atripla that is causing the problem.  My next move is to switch to another medication that do not have this side effect, which is that it meddles with blood circulation though out the body, particularly the hip joints.  I should also check with an urologist.  I know it already causes fatigue, and I suspect it causes my arthritics hips flare ups.  I hate switching medication for Atripla is very easy to take, but the fatigue, the joint pain and the low libido is hard to live with. (pardon the pun)  Does anyone have any suggestion to which medication I should use.

Offline BJS2011

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:49 pm »
Carnal Knowledge

by Stephen Gendin

One man's fight to save sex

http://www.poz.com/articles/carnal_knowledge_245_18545.shtml

I thought it was just me with this problem, but when I read this article I realize that "SHIT, my FUCKING Testosterones are running low!!!"  I had complain to my doctor, who seems to me Squamish about my "NUT" problems, says that my test shows that I am within normal range.  Fuck that shit!!!  The dick goes FUCKING limp when it use to charge ahead with no coaching.  I use to wake up with a FUCKING HARD-ON.  I use to FUCK for an hour until exhausted and still wanted to FUCK some more. Yeah that's right, I made the "Energizer Bunny" look like GOD-DAMMED dead batteries.   It's a FUCKING MEMORY now.  

I like the doc, but I gotta get a new doc, probably male who understands the need to Fuck, that will help me regain what I have lost and not cajole my feelings and marginalise my FUCKING HARD-ON PROBLEM.  

I'm at Coleen Lorde in NYC, so does anyone knows or have a doc there that helped them with this problem?  

p.s.  sorry for the strong lang. but I had to let it out...
Your language is totally not needed. You couldn't say your piece without such fowl language. People that need to swear every two words have a low mentality rate. Get some class.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2011, 07:59:02 pm »
Your language is totally not needed. You couldn't say your piece without such fowl language. People that need to swear every two words have a low mentality rate. Get some class.

Did you log in today only to:

1. Revive ancient threads
2. Demonstrate your inability to use a simple quote function
3. Display a catty attitude by attacking other members

You might've as well stayed on hiatus, my dear.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.