Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:53:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 240
Total: 240

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Sex trade worker - protected sex 40 hrs after shaving genital area.  (Read 21628 times)

Offline joejoe

I am worried. I was in NYCity and had sex with a sex trade worker. It was protected sex- initially oral then vaginal.

What I am worried about is about 40 hours prior I had shaved the majority of my pubic hairs around my penis and noticed after protected sex that the shaved area was very raw and had some open sores. After the sex I had washed my genital area with a shower (was this a mistake as now i found out moisture only helps the transmission).

Can someone please give me an honest answer and reply as to my potential risks. Suppose HIV infected vaginal fluid covered the area- what are my risks? ANYONE that knows HIV/Aids please reply. Also, what other STDs would I be at high risk of getting?  ??? ??? ???

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Sex trade worker - protected sex 40 hrs after shaving genital area.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 10:47:15 pm »
Joe,

I would encourage you to read the Welcome Thread here at AIDSMEDS.

There is no risk for HIV infection in anything you describe. Be of good cheer, you don't need to test.

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:48:15 pm »
There is zero risk of HIV.

Other STDs can be transmitted through skin contact with infectious fluids, but this is NOT impacted by shaving.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline joejoe

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:54:20 pm »
The reason I am concerned with the shaving is because the area shaved was raw and seemed to have many very small cuts/abraisians with broken skin. I never/very rarely shave this area and it was raw. Can anyone explain in some more detail on why I am not at risk.....it would be REALLY appreciated.

FYI- I have read the welcome message. I am really scared and appreciate your responses!!!!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 10:58:23 pm »
HIV requires contact with very specific CD4 cells in order to infect. These exist in the urethra on a male.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline joejoe

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 11:07:33 pm »
HIV requires contact with very specific CD4 cells in order to infect. These exist in the urethra on a male.

I never knew that. so it's only at the tip/opening of the penis???? So basically I could have a fresh cut on my skin that slightly bleeds- rub HIV vaginal fluid on it and be ok?

I am sorry if I sound stupid- I don't mean to.

FYI- I am going to get a 6 week test forsure regardless- but I really need to put my mind at ease or I will breakdown.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 05:27:32 am »
I never knew that. so it's only at the tip/opening of the penis? So basically I could have a fresh cut on my skin that slightly bleeds- rub HIV vaginal fluid on it and be ok?

Joe,

Yes, that's absolutely correct. Successful hiv transmission occurs INSIDE the human body as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. As Jonathan pointed out, hiv needs to bump into (it cannot move and therefore cannot seek out) specific cells such as the ones found in the lining of the urethra.

Hiv is a very fragile virus as well. It has "plugs" that must find specific receptors on specific cells. The membrane of the virus as well as the plugs quickly become damaged when outside the human body through even minute changes in temperature, pH levels and moisture levels. So you see, the shower you took would more likely render the virus useless, than facilitate the virus as you fear. The virus would have been unable to infect by the time you got into the shower anyway.

While you do NOT need to test over this incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Keep using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. It doesn't matter if you are with a sex worker or the girl or boy next door. Keep using those condoms and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. And don't forget to have a look at the Welcome Thread if you haven't already.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline joejoe

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 10:50:49 am »
Ann,

I thank you for your information. So very much. It has been a relief to hear all of this and talk to HIV experts as yourselves.

Can you (or anyone else) point me to a website that has information about STDs that I might have contracted????

Thank you for your ongoing support. I was near continual nervous breakdowns....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 11:43:32 am »
Joe,

Check out the inSPOT website. It's geared toward gay men, but the information is the same regardless.

Please keep in mind that it is possible to have an STI and have no symptoms. This is one of the ways that they keep getting spread around - many people aren't aware they are infected. (same thing for hiv actually) This is why regular, routine sexual health care check-ups are not just a good idea, but should be mandatory for sexually active adults.

Ann

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline joejoe

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 06:24:37 pm »
Thanks Ann. You have been a goldmine of information as have all the others that have replied.

I will check out the website. Is there an STD forum like this that you know of? Especially with all of the knowledge this site seems to have????

I am still nervous but more sure that I am ok even with the open sores/cuts around my pubic area. If anyone wants to add anything please do!!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 08:25:14 pm »
Joe,

I don't know of any other forums on sexual health that are like this one. This forum is a one of a kind in that we only go by first-tier, peer-reviewed data as published in scientific journals. We don't allow mis-information or psuedo-science to go unchallenged here like most other sites do. We also don't allow "faith-based" mythology either. Just the facts - that's what you'll find here.

Ok - infomercial over. LOL

You're going to be just fine Joe. Just keep using those condoms until you're in a securely monogamous relationship where you have tested negative for all STIs together.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline joejoe

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 09:59:05 pm »

I really want to say something to everyone who has helped me over the past couple of days.

I am truly grateful. My mind has been put to ease. I would also like to make an anonymous donation to the web developer/web team. Is there a link where I can send a donation (non-credit card).

I was truly scared. This was the first time I had been so stupid and the last. I am in an on/off relationship and this was the dumbest thing I could have done. Not just getting the **** scared right out of me with these open cuts.....but emotionally too. How could I have ever done something I wouldn't have ever thought of doing in my wildest dreams.

I am almost up to one week. I am schedule for an HIV test in late July. I would like to keep posting and ask that you please give me re-assurance if I start to panic. All of you above have been great....and Ann....your long explanations have been very re-assuring. I wish I could give you all a hug.....it has been one hell of a week.

Please pardon if I bring this topic up in a week or so.....I may need you again.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 10:01:48 pm »
Joe,

I'm glad we've been able to help. If you keep in mind what we've told you thus far, you won't need us in a week. ;)

Regards,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 05:42:21 am »
Joe,

You bring up a good question about donations. This site used to accept donations, but we have merged with POZ.com so things are financed differently now. I'll speak to the site Administrator Peter Staley about where to direct people for donations now.

However, I'm sure there is an Aids Service Organisation in your area who could do with some extra cash. Most are very strapped for cash these days and if you help one ASO, you help all of us living with hiv. You can find an ASO (if you are in the States) by going to http://directory.poz.com/ or http://www.aidsmap.com/en/orgs/ux/default.asp for ASOs world-wide.

While I'm also glad we could help you, if you continue to find this time stressful, you would do yourself a big favour by getting some face-to-face support in the form of counseling. We find that it often does more harm than good for someone to keep coming here after they know the facts. Daily reading of this forum tends to fuel more fears than it alleviates. Be good to yourself and stay productively busy - away from your computer and the internet.

You're going to be just fine.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline joejoe

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 10:42:18 pm »
I talked with a friend about it today and got alot off my chest. The only problem is that there seems to be not very many educated people regarding HIV transmission.

I mentioned that I had some open cuts (with some small bleeding) from shaving my pubic area and that I had talked to experts that advised that even if HIV vaginal fluids had soaked the area I should be ok. He told me otherwise stating that as long as the area was MOIST and wet it was possible for the Tcells to bring the virus back into the body? I disagreed based on what was said above especially through Anns comments.

I replied that no- the CD4 cells were mainly concentrated in the urethra which is very accessable to the blood stream. In my situation even though I had open cuts in my pubic area at the base of my penis this was still unlikely.

These CD4 cells do not carry viruses into the body through cuts right?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 11:17:13 pm »
I talked with a friend about it today and got alot off my chest. The only problem is that there seems to be not very many educated people regarding HIV transmission.

I mentioned that I had some open cuts (with some small bleeding) from shaving my pubic area and that I had talked to experts that advised that even if HIV vaginal fluids had soaked the area I should be ok. He told me otherwise stating that as long as the area was MOIST and wet it was possible for the Tcells to bring the virus back into the body? I disagreed based on what was said above especially through Anns comments.

I replied that no- the CD4 cells were mainly concentrated in the urethra which is very accessable to the blood stream. In my situation even though I had open cuts in my pubic area at the base of my penis this was still unlikely.

These CD4 cells do not carry viruses into the body through cuts right?

Joe-Joe,

When it comes to HIV your friend is an arse. He has no clue. You were not at any risk of contracting HIV from the encounter you described.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 05:00:02 am »
Joe,

You are correct, there is a lot of ignorance regarding hiv transmission out there. You would be doing your friend (all of your friends, for that matter) a favour by directing them to the Lessons section of this website as well as the condom and lube links in my signature line. Email them the links. This pandemic is going to be with us for the forseeable future and eveyone needs to know the score.

You did not have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline joejoe

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 07:05:20 pm »
Hi there....

It has been a while since I posted....although i've really tried to keep busy today was a little tougher. I am almost 3 weeks in (3 weeks to go) before my test. I will be seeing my doctor soon. Is it any use to get a 3 week test or are they pretty much useless?

At the same time i've done alot of reading on this website and really appreciate all of the work that was put into it. It is definately the best site out there dealing with all of this.

Perhaps because of being drilled that HIV will be transmitted if you have sex with a tradeworker and that I had open sores and contact with blood on the sores, I am still a little worried even with the bold statement suggesting I don't even need to bother with a test  :-\

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 04:53:00 am »
Joe,

You weren't told you don't need to test at all, because anyone who is sexually active should be having regular STI screens anyway. You just don't need to test over this specific incident.

If you do take a test at three weeks, you can consider it your annual test.

However, if you cannot trust us when we tell you there was no risk in your incident, then you might as well wait for the whole 12-13 week window period so you can collect your conclusive negative result and move on with your life.

We see this "I shaved my pubes then had intercourse" scenario fairly often. Not one of those people have ever tested positive. You won't either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Consumed

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 11:52:42 am »

I would have been more worried about upsetting that sex worker with you 5 o'clock shaddow
LYS

Offline joejoe

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 04:14:33 pm »
Ok. I have avoided asking questions but I am getting somewhat concerned again. I noticed that in other posts you rank HIV transmission as NO RISK, very low risk, low risk, and high risk.

Could all of you please rank my risk- vaginal fluid on open cuts (with blood) as a result of shaving my pubic area. Protected sex (as all said above). 2. I am getting a 6 week test at the end of July. How conclusive is this? I have been avoiding thinking about this but have recently had some nightmares........

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 04:19:25 pm »
Anytime would be conclusive for you. You DID NOT have a risk of getting hiv. period. You've been told several times.

Offline joejoe

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 01:41:34 pm »
Thank you RapidRod.

Andy was right (from what I read in other posts anyways).....the 6 weeks really pass in a hurry.

It has been 6 weeks though.....and I am terribly scared to get the test. Especially when I look at my son. What was I thinking. Yes I know that this is an HIV forum and I apologize for my ranting.

I was in a very monogomous relationship prior- separated- this happened- and now looking to get back together with my ex. This was the only incident outside of our relationship.

IF I get this test back positive would it mean I 100% do not have any HIV and could go on with my life as it was....or should I use a condom even though I hadn't for the past 5 years. Also, does anyone know when other STD symptoms would apprear by.....mainly herpes, and syphalis.

Currently I have no symptoms of an STI (no burning....no bumps...no discharge). Thank you. I go for the test Wednesday. Results in 10 days.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 04:15:52 pm »
Joejoe,

Herpes
When symptoms do appear during a first episode they usually appear within 2 to 10 days after infection and last an average of 2 to 3 weeks.

Gonorrhea
The incubation period for Gonorrhea is usually 2 to 7 days.

Chlamydia
The incubation period for Chlamydia is usually 2 to 6 weeks, but can be longer.

Syphilis
The incubation period for Syphilis is usually 10 to 90 days.

HIV
The window period for HIV is usually 2 weeks to 3 months, but most commonly 4-6 weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being 22 days.

Hepatitis A
The incubation period for Hepatitis A is 15 to 50 days.

Hepatitis B
The incubation period for Hepatitis B is usually 45-180 days, with an average of 60 to 90 days.

Hepatitis C
The incubation period for Hepatitis C ranges from 2 weeks to 6 months - commonly, 6 to 9 weeks.

A full std panel at 13 weeks will almost always catch everything.

Morgan
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 04:18:27 pm by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline joejoe

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 08:29:59 am »
Morgan,

That last post was awesome. Why can't all the friggin health sites out there be as straight forward as this one. Always grey area.

I have a feeling some of the experts are tired of hearing me. I apologize. In fact I think I would be in an institution if you hadn't given me reassurance and replied to my questions.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 08:41:53 am »
You wouldn't want to get back a POSIIVE result, you want a NEGATIVE result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 01:02:27 pm »
Joe, the bottom line in all this is that you had protected intercourse so testing wasn't even necessary in relation to the incident you're concerned about.

I don't see any need for testing, but if for your own peace of mind you need a negative result again then by all means test again.

As for dispensing with condoms that is something to do only when both partners have tested negative together and are committed to a securely monogamous relationship. Since you and your partner were separated that's something you may want to clarify so that you are each comfortable about your own and each other's HIV status.

In relation to yours I don't see any reason to doubt that you're negative from whatever you have reported.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline joejoe

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 04:16:34 pm »
Thank you Andy.

I have decided to get an HIV test tomorrow morning and have booked my consultation with my doctor in mid august. So far I have no symptoms, nor any symptoms of an STI. I think after I get my results back I will be in good position to forget this ever happened.

After this negative I will be able to look my son in the eye again and move on towards getting back together with the woman I love.

Offline joejoe

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 03:20:51 pm »
To all that helped me over the past 8 weeks.

I received my test results and I am HIV negative (7 week test). I love you all for the support you have given me and the reassurance. God bless you and this website. I have learned alot.

Offline joejoe

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 04:03:22 pm »
Hi again. Does anyone think I should get a 13 week test? It has been a while but I have thought it about it again....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 04:17:31 pm »
You don't need testing for HIV. You had protected sex.

Offline joejoe

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2006, 10:54:13 am »
Thanks again Rod. I just wanted to think responsibly. I understand that having unprotected sex is consent to aquiring your partners STDs. I completely understand this. But at the same time I want to be able to tell my partner for 100% certainty that I do not have HIV and even show them my last test result.

I have not had unprotected sex since but when I decide to in the future want to know that I was not infected. Thank you Rod! I will not waste the Aids testing resources.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 12:14:40 pm »
Joe,

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

If you have doubts and you haven't had a routine check lately, then go test. Just don't be surprised when the result is negative.

Even the CDC is now recommending that ANYONE and EVERYONE gets tested regularly. See the AIDSmeds news article on the new CDC guidelines

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline joejoe

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 03:58:27 pm »
I talked to a doctor about the experience I had above and she told me that they recommend a half year test????? This was news to me????? That would mean I need to get tested again next week. There is nothing to be worried about right? I had an 8 week test already and I thought it would put my mind at ease and now they say that I need another????

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2006, 04:34:08 pm »
Your doctor is flat wrong. You didn't have a risk and you don't need a 6 month test. 3 months as stated by the CDC is conclusive. Your doctor needs to update their testing procedures on HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 08:35:38 pm »
joe,

I see you have been wandering around the forum today, giving advice. You are in no position to give advice on this forum so please don't.

Thank you for your cooperation.

You don't need further testing. As you didn't have a risk, your eight week test result is valid. You are hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline joejoe

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2007, 04:31:35 pm »
Thanks Ann and thanks RapidRod. I in fact did get tested again at the 6 month period and after asking my doctor she said it was mainly for the Hep. Of course you were all right as I tested negative again.....for Hep A,B,C & HIV. I think the HIV was just done again for reassurance since the 7/8 week test was not a full 13 week one.

I will keep my promise and push for more HIV research and education. I stand by my promise to continue my donations. And whatever happened to that link to make annonymous donations to this site????

Half a year....was it worth it. NO! What an awful stupid thing I did. Live and learn I guess.....and pray for forgiveness....

I thank each and everyone of you....really.....you have no idea how wonderful you all are. This site was a godsend and saved me from self destruction. Ann et. al. I wish I could give each of you a hug (ok, I can see the look of disgust on your faces so maybe a handshake :) )

Joejoe-----out.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 05:39:41 am »
Joe,

Thank you for your generous offer, but this site no longer accepts donations. We would be very happy if you made a donation, on our behalf, to your local hiv/aids organisation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.