Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:28:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 537
Total: 537

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Another NHS thread - HIV clinics and GP services, the runaround  (Read 2363 times)

Offline stillsane

has anyone else experienced this sort of runaround?

hiv clinic: you need to see your GP about that, i do not think that this is and hiv related issue and therefore i cannot help you.
gp: sorry, i am not an hiv expert and i think that this may be hiv related. it could be a side effect, or it could be the hiv. you need see your hiv clinic about it.
hiv clinic: (see above).

repeat process until so irritated that you explode.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Another NHS thread - HIV clinics and GP services, the runaround
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:38:35 am »
Hi there Stillsane, welcome to the forums.

I go to the Royal Liverpool for my hiv care and I've never once had that response from my consultant nor any of the registrars. However, I am always given the option of taking something to my GP. At my clinic, they seem to take the view that anything affecting my health will have an effect on the hiv, so it's all relevant to my hiv health-care.

Have you tried telling your GP that the hiv clinic you attend has told you to see the GP because the problem isn't hiv related? Or telling the clinic that your GP won't help? Could it be that your GP just doesn't want to bother with an hiv positive patient? If so, would it be possible to find a GP who cares?

If changing GPs isn't possible, you may just have to stand up to him and remind him that people with hiv will still experience ordinary health problems that have nothing to do with hiv - and remind him he has a duty of care to treat you.

It may also help if your clinic will communicate with your GP. Next time the clinic refers you on to your GP, get a letter from the clinic to inform your GP of your overall health and why they think the problem isn't hiv related. If they balk at the idea, ask them what better idea they have to stop you from falling through the cracks. This situation just isn't good enough!

Good luck - please keep us posted.

Ann
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:40:11 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline carousel

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 06:46:07 am »
I have been sent back from my GP and out of hours services Clinics to the HIV doctor, mainly because they want a second opinion.  It can be a hassle.

If I can I go the HIV Clinic for as much as possible, I do.  I haven't been turned away by them and asked to go to my GP.  It's also cheaper, not having to pay for perscriptions.

How regularly do you to your clinic?  I jsut wondered if that's an issue for them.

Offline stillsane

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 07:50:22 am »
i did ask my hiv clinic to recommend a gp to me. but they cant do that apparently.

i visit the clinic about every 2-3 months for my blood tests. but this was something that happened a couple of times over the past year since i started on meds. i never really go to a gp (one visit in 10 years) as i am fortunate enough not to have had many problems. and because i havent found them to be much use in the past. however, the hiv clinic i go to is quite "robust" in their insistence that they will not treat things that they dont consider to be hiv related.

it just annoys me. i think that if they are going to follow that policy, they should at least be able to point me in the direction of a gp service that would be a bit more helpful. or even have gp practices somehow associated with the hiv clinics.

anyway, i have changed my doctor at the hiv clinic now and will see how that goes. i am also considering attending a different clinic though. i have heard good things about the royal free.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.