Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 340
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Project RED - reactions?  (Read 7363 times)

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
Project RED - reactions?
« on: October 15, 2006, 06:06:09 pm »

I have been reading a lot on the recent launch of Oprah/Bono's Project RED, and am curious to know if folks out there think that this is a worthy concept. I "get it" - that if the vast majority of folks out there are not going to give without getting in return, then the best strategy is to find things that people want and add on a donation as part of that "wants" price tag. Very clever. I am even thinking hard about getting a RED iPod, as I've been seriously needing to upgrade for awhile now.

My reservations from participating in this probably stem from my own professional biases, as I work in public relations/advertising. I know for a fact that these companies are taking part because it is "great marketing" for them, and little else. The GAP has been falling apart for years, and the cell phone companies are some of the worst corporate entities around (totally my opinion). However, I have a strong affinity for Apple (I use them religiously for work, which includes a lot of video editing software and design/graphics programs) - and therefore would feel less cautious about contributing through them.

I guess what I'm saying is that the stock value of these predominantly publicly held companies will benefit far more from any spike in sales than all of the HIV/AIDS contributions times a million. Something about that seems very unethical as a fellow HIV+ individual. Curious to know other people's thoughts on this. Much appreciated.

(No, I am not a "mole" planted by any of the companies listed on the launch press release!)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
Re: Project RED - reactions?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 06:48:28 pm »
Like you I too feel a bit of cynicism in the air. Can we with HIV get discounts? I am not sure how all this is going to battle HIV when we can't get sex education down!
Still I can't get the Seinfeld episode  where Kramer refuses to wear the ribbon for the AIDS walk and gets beat up out of my mind.

http://www.joinred.com/more.asp
?

(BLOG)RED

FAQ

Fact Sheet

Guiding Principles

A Note From Bono
(RED) was created by Bono and Bobby Shriver, Chairman of DATA to raise awareness and money for The Global Fund by teaming up with the world's most iconic brands to produce (PRODUCT)RED branded products. A percentage of each (PRODUCT)RED product sold is given to The Global Fund. The money helps women and children affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa.
What's the meaning of the parentheses or brackets? Well, we call them "the embrace." Each company that becomes (RED) places its logo in this embrace and is then elevated to the power of red. Thus the name -- (PRODUCT)RED.
You, the consumer, can take your purchase to the power of (RED) simply by upgrading your choice. Thus the proposition: (YOU)RED. Be embraced, take your own fine self to the power of (RED). What better way to become a good-looking samaritan?!
And what about men? Also as the numbers in other countries increase  and here in America where there are major cuts in the works will people feel the need to help another continent while their own epidemic is growing?
We here in America are expected to live on $11. a day, if on pa. And there is the accountability factor. I wonder at one point will saying it goes to a good cause not be enough. Just look at the poor people in the Big Easy!

© 2006 The Persuaders, LLC. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use   privacy policy   credits   contact   

Actually i sent Shriver an e mail about this.
Johnny
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 07:05:07 pm by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 06:56:36 pm »
If I give Oprah AIDS will she give me an iPod?

MtD

Offline whizzer

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 06:59:45 pm »
Yes, Matty, but you'll have to pay the income taxes on it.

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 07:09:35 pm »
If I give Oprah AIDS will she give me an iPod?

MtD
You'd have to get past Gayle first!
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 07:56:09 pm »

MtD

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 08:13:05 pm »
Matty, leave the Pope out of it. He's not trying to hit the dove; the poor ole guy is having a seizure or trying to keep the damn bird from shitting on his robe. It's expensive to have those robes dry cleaned.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 10:18:25 pm »
Hello ChaplinGuy, it is Eldon.

It is a harsh reality that HIV/AIDS has grew into a world pandemic. There are a number of different organizations that exist today to support the efforts in getting the necessary medications to other countries in the world, namely the Clinton Foundation.

As far as I understand it, "Project Red" is an active working business marketing model for the industry. It is an excellent idea to increase the sales of their products through consumers purchasing their red items from the industry. It is a different avenue that they are using in order to raise monies for the needed medications to be distributed around the world. It appears to be structured for both parties to benefit.

The profits are to go towards the purchases of HIV/AIDS anti-viral medicines.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 10:29:42 pm »
dag-nabbit Eldon, we know it's you, sheesh!  :D :D :D :D  ;)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 10:30:19 pm »
Something about that seems very unethical as a fellow HIV+ individual.

care to elaborate??

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 10:53:54 pm »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:35:09 pm by emeraldize »

Offline tsw923

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 11:08:39 pm »
OK -- I have to say I've been tempted by the apple -- the red ipod is SWEET!  And, I who never go to the gap (partially because I don't think they carry anything for people that actually eat 3 meals a day) am planning to go on Monday to see about getting a t-shirt -- I'll be like Monique, buy 2 and sew 'em together so I can wear it  ;D

However, I am a little cynical that we will pay a few bucks more to help those with HIV in Africa, but in the meantime will run some moronic campaign of 'HIV is a gay disease' here in the US.  (Does any of that $$ come back to the US for those folks here who can't afford treatment?  I'm sure not.  Sigh... And I read that the various AIDS Walks' etc aren't getting the publicity now and are hurting for donations.  We've lost out to the pink ribbons of breast cancer :-P  Believe it or not I was in target yesterday and you can now by a PINK DYSON VACUUM CLEANER to support breast cancer research.

Come on guys -- we have to think of some way to get back into being 'trendy'  :-\
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 11:13:13 pm »
I'm surprised Oprah's signed up with the QueerPlague wannabes. I thought she'd have joined the Tit People and donned one of those offensive pink ribbons.

MtD

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 07:32:32 pm »
I think it's great that Oprah and Bono are working to help raise money for PWA's in Africa.   But I'd be lying if I said it didn't leave a 'bad taste in my mouth', because I know so many people in the US cannot get the drugs they need.

I doubt I'll be buying any "Red" products, I can't afford the GAP, unless it is on 'after season' sale (maybe).

I do think what they are doing is admirable, and I hope the program is successful.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 07:54:45 pm »

MtD

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 08:32:55 pm »
Does Bono ever tire of saving the world? Does he ever bathe or wash his hair? Dude will do anything to sell an album.

Offline carousel

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 08:50:12 pm »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:33:24 am by carousel »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 08:51:24 pm »
And no doubt St Oprah of the Wide Backside will bless you for it, my dear. ;)

MtD

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 09:17:14 pm »
If Oprah, Bono and Madonna take on Iran, Iraq, and North Korea , who would win?
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline carousel

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 09:22:16 pm »

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:32:48 am by carousel »

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 06:19:24 am »
I'm surprised Oprah's signed up with the QueerPlague wannabes. I thought she'd have joined the Tit People and donned one of those offensive pink ribbons.

MtD
You would think there were enough diseases for celebrities, oh but Mel is down!
How can we criticise these self-appointed saints, they're raising money for HIV and AIDS.

I've just sent another credit card application online.  If they give it me, I'll spend only on Red goodies, knowing that I've done the righteous thing.
Better living through first world debt!
What happens when they find out these products are made in Chinese sweatshops? Where if the factory workers get HIV they won't have insurance for their drugs, then who will make shiney red products  for the rubber band set to buy?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:23:48 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline jack

Offline tsw923

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 11:42:35 pm »
WOW,

eye opening.  I know someone asked me how much Bono and Oprah, etc were donating of their own money and I really didn't know.  I assumed the were only donating their 'star power'.  So now I feel guilty for wanting a red t-shirt....   I guess you could say my desire for the products has been dampe(red).

Sorry, couldn't resist.... ;D

Ty
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline cthonias

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 06:05:21 am »
Yeah, I'd personally rather see that money be used here at home. I think it's great that Bono is so focused on other cultures, but I'm going through major stress right now trying to figure out how to stay a freelancer and afford my meds. I know I have it better off than those in Africa, but does all of the money have to go there? Would be nice if there was more lobbying here in the states for meds than for overseas. Even Madonna jumped on the AIDS Africa bandwagon. I guess it's "cool" to be Africa-aware now. That and breast cancer are the benefits du-jour.

Offline jack

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 03:08:33 pm »
or that yellow band everyone wears. Roidman Armstrong sure has fooled a bunch of people.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2006, 05:23:34 pm »
Your concerns are well founded. I just find it difficult to believe that Bono would not get in anything scandalous, so I would tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. I see your point about exploiting HIV for profit. But over all, I do believe that at least some more money is going to those in need. He said that all the monies were going to a Swiss bank account. I am sure he is smart enough to have the money accounted for. Follow the money!

The feelings I had when I first heard of this was: What about the people with hiv in the USA.??? It seems we always get ignored in these world-wide fund raisers. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that Africans are getting help. But I think the world's perception is that America is wealthy, they do not need the help. Which, of course, is not the case.

The bottom line is we have no real leadership for HIV/AIDS for our own country. I wish we were half as organized as the many successful Cancer programs. Specifically Breast Cancer. Now that is a well oiled machine.

But you bring up an interesting point. As, with most thing in this world, it's all about the money. And clever marketing.
Positive since 1985

Offline tsw923

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 07:40:02 pm »
Jeffreyj,

I completely agree.  That's my point about the whole campaign.  Its great, but there are folks here in the US that would benefit.  We have grandmothers here that are raising grandkids because the parents have died from AIDS.  No one is really helping them.  I read the article on Poz and it sounds great, but the bottom line is, those folks are ASS OUT... I guess they should move to Africa?  Of course, I also say this about kids needing to be adopted.  You really don't have to go to China or Africa to adopt a kid, there are 1000s here that need good homes.  But as you say, we don't have good marketing for that either. 

So on to the HIV/AIDS marketing plan..... Perhaps we should change the color from red to some other trendy color?  It seems to me that the pastels are doing much better than the dark colors?  Your thoughts?  And of course, we must have the cool rubber band bracelets.  (I hate them personally, but hey, whatever works)  Maybe the US AIDS leaders need to meet with the breast cancer folks to get with their marketing firm?   

Ty

Offline Eldon

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 11:59:35 pm »
Jeff and Ty,

I DO agree that they should include the US as well with this lucrative fundraiser.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 06:32:51 pm »
I signed up for RED let's see how it goes!
Positive since 1985

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 09:26:21 pm »
I wrote the dude about the fact that there are problems in America and have yet to get a response. My feeling is this is a legitimate way to get tax deductions for internations corps.
Like I stated, where are these products made and what are the worker's rights?
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.