Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:33:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 213
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Blood in mouth question  (Read 21897 times)

Offline cubmartin

Blood in mouth question
« on: July 26, 2006, 02:43:15 pm »
Hello Ann,

Hope your doing well.  I'm doing pretty good.  Just want to do some reviewing...

Handsome older man that is interested in me.  The feeling is mutual.  I've explained to him the things I feel comfortable doing.  But before I do them, I said to myself, better ask Ann to make sure!   :)

These are the things I would do:

Definitely deep kiss him.  Maybe some mutual masterbation and would really enjoy frottage in the sense it would be two bodies rubbing together all over.  Now, to me, that just sounds too good!  I can do all these things plus rub our bodies all over each and not even have to give a single thought about hiv transmission?  And I can do it as many times as I want?  From what I have learned, no risk at all.  Tell me i'm correct!  This is too good to be true.   

sm
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:55:12 pm by cubmartin »

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: Just to review info...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:48:46 pm »
Cubmartin,

Well...... I'm not Ann, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. 

Go for it....  no risk in anything you describe.   :D

Morgan   ;)
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 02:49:12 pm »
Cub,

Nothing you list is a risk for hiv infection.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Use condoms for intercourse and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 04:02:26 pm »
Thanks for the prompt responses!   :)

I usually try to keep my posts short so I forgot to mention recieving a blow job.  But no real need to reply on that one.  No risk it seems, even if your uncircumsized.

Quick question about a post on the old website though...  I've asked questions about frottage and Ann has been a great help.  Feel rather apprehensive asking this because if this was a risk, it would be clearly written somewhere.  I know frottage, which is rubbing genetelia to genetelia, is no risk.  My question is rubbing penis against outside of anus.  It's not something I want to practice, i'm more asking if like it accidentally happens. 

Cub   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:19:39 pm by cubmartin »

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 04:50:49 pm »
Cub,

It's still considered frottage and, without penetration, is no risk.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 01:29:10 pm »
Hi Ann,

I understand this forum is specific but I figured I would go ahead and ask anyway.  This morning I noticed that on the right side of my foreskin, it was a little puffy and reddish.  No pain or irritation whatsoever.  No discharge or pain during urination.  I have been checked for syphilis, ghon., herpes and chlam and all negative.  This can't be an hiv situation for I wasn't at risk.  I already notified my doctor to see what she thinks.  Does that sound like any type of STD?  Any opinion is appreciated.  Cub 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 02:09:16 pm »
Cub,

That could be anything from a simple friction irritation to an STI - but not hiv - and you're doing the right thing getting it check out with your doctor if you're worried about it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 06:27:39 pm »
Hello Ann and Morgan,

Hope you are both doing well.

I'm doing pretty well myself, very overwhelmed with work but it keeps me going!

I'm kind of wondering about something.  It's not really a risk assessment so if I get no response, understood.

About a year and a half ago when I got all wound up about a frottage and french kissing episode, I was looking up everything I could about hiv transmission through those means.  As soon as I found this site, it came to a halt because of the legitimacy of aidsmeds.com.  I had found a documented case of transmission via deep kissing, but then learned that case was never proven and well refuted.  My question is, I've read a couple of posts here that claimed kissing may be their form of transmission, how come such cases don't get picked up like the one documented in 1997?  I guess I'm looking for some sort of comments that will dismiss such posts.  Scientific fact is the only guiding light for some of us and then you get some posts that try to throw a wrench in what some of us have lead to believe.  (and I don't mean throw a wrench in on purpose)

It makes me think, how did that happen, scientific fact is scientific fact!!  Hiv transmission does not happen by open-mouth kissing, frottage, masturbation, body rubbing, protected sex and most forms of oral-sex.  How can this be?!?

I guess the answer is NO PROOF?  People can say anything they want on the internet.  And, accidents do happen?  Frustrating. 

Cub

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 07:35:48 pm »
I'm sure you don't always believe everything you read, do you? As with the cases of getting infected by kissing, that is one of them that you put on your DNBL. (do not believe list)

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 06:57:12 pm »
That's a valid point.  It's just kind of scary to think that if these people had protected/safer sex, how is it possible?  One of the things I have realized so far is that genital intercourse, protected or not, does seem to be involved in such cases.  Makes me think in two ways:  One, is that condoms might be effective, but accidents can happen.  Two, we all make mistakes, and sometimes we might not remember exactly what happend.  For example, yesterday I found a cut on my leg, and I simply cannot remember how I got it.  You would think I would remember, but I just don't.  I think that analogy may apply to certain cases. 

It's probably better I stay out of other forums and stick to this one before I find another post that will get my worry wagon going again.   :-\

cub

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 04:50:46 pm »
Hello aidsmeds,

Quick question I'm curious about.  Interesting that sometimes people you would never think have gone through hiv transmission situations.

I was speaking to a cousin of mine that has been an RN for several years.  As she was telling me some of her stories, she mentioned a time that she was pulling a blood sample out from an hiv positive patient.  As she was doing the process, some blood accidentally hit her eye.  She has tested negative conclusively during the appropriate testing windows.  My question is, what was her risk? 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 05:09:59 pm »
Cub,

Her risk was purely theoretical.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 12:28:41 pm »
Greetings,

On reading posts about frottage, and where some males are concerned if they rubbed too close to the vagina or how far in they have to penetrate for it to be a real risk, my question is for anal sex.  How far in would a male have to penetrate in order for there to be risk since transmission must happen inside of the body?

Cub

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 01:50:16 pm »
Cub,

You don't want to be putting your penis inside of either a vagina or an anus without a condom on it. Don't start dipping - you're treading on dangerous territory there. Rubbing outside is fine, inside is a no-no.

If you can't trust yourself to rub without an inward thrust, then do yourself a favour and don't tempt yourself. Get a condom on.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 11:02:32 am »
No worries there.  I would never try dipping without a condom on.  Was just for information purposes.  Thanks Ann.

Cub
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:16:46 pm by cubmartin »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 12:19:13 pm »
Cub,

C'mon mate, this isn't rocket science. If you insert the tip of your penis inside another body then it's dipping. If you want to split hairs, then err on the side of caution and wear a condom.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 01:32:15 pm »
Thanks Ann,

I didn't even have to ask that question I apologize.  You would know once your inside another body or dipping.  The difference  between frottage and dipping is obvious.  Either way thanks for your support. 

Cub

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 03:37:27 pm »
Hello Ann,

I know I’ve posted a few times as of late and believe me, last thing I would want to do is disrespect this website.

Flu and cold season is here and being an educator, I’m around many students so it’s easy to catch a bug.  I’m going in for a flu shot as soon as I get a chance, but I also have been wanting to go in and see my doctor because I have felt fatigue, body aches and sometimes malaise for the last couple of weeks.  Makes sense if it’s just the season.

I don’t want to tell my doctor of my incident which occurred a year and a half ago because I don’t know how informed my doctor is about hiv transmission.  I’m sure my doctor knows the basics, but maybe not the most accurate scientific facts.  My question today I can probably answer on my own but would like your expertise. 

Since my incident only involved deep kissing/frottage/mutual masturbation with an hiv positive friend, is it alright to assume that there is no need in telling my doctor it happened at all?  I would tell her if it was a real risk, but in my situation, it’s not necessary, scientific fact is scientific fact.  Am I correct?

Cub

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 03:47:29 pm »
You didn't have a risk so there is nothing to tell.

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 05:28:25 pm »
Thanks Rapidrod,

I wanted to make sure about this because I don't want to feel like i'm hiding something from my doctor.  I have felt fatigue and mild malaise for the last couple of weeks but it can be related to many things such as high stress, my over-indulgent diet and being a light sleeper.  It's also flu/cold season so it can just be my body fighting off viruses.  Regardless of symptoms, science tells me it's impossible that it is hiv related. 

Cub

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 01:04:25 pm »
Happy Holidays to Everybody  :)

I think I already know the answer to this one, but made me think yikes.

After my dental appointment yesterday, my teeth were cleaned so my front bottom gums bled but no big deal, have great oral health, went to visit one of my favorite bar tenders I have not seen in a long time.  I went up to him and gave him a bug hug.  Was great to see him.  I did wonder a bit, although I don't open mouth kiss him cause it's not that kind of friendship, I was wondering the risk if I would have since he is positive.  I KNOW kissing is not a risk, but is this true even after a teeth cleaning where your gums bleed some.  I'm sure I would have read it somewhere if it was a risk, just makes me think dang, no risk even like that?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 09:39:18 pm »
You were not at risk even after having your teeth cleaned.

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 12:14:55 am »
Ever since I ran into aidsmeds.com website, I started to ignore all other websites with hiv information such as The Body.  Today I checked both this website and The Body and did not like what I read on the body. 

Two Questions:

On a post, a man was stating that some sex worker had rough deep kissing and was biting his lip hard.  He doesn't recall any bleeding.  Now, why is it that on some posts within the same year, Dr. Bob will say nonexistent for french kissing transmission and then he tells this man extremely low risk?  Why doesn't he make up his mind? 

Now on another post I read, just want to know the assessment of this site.  A man said that while he was giving another man a bj, his penis bled a very small amount due to irritation.  I understand that giving a bj is at the bottom of the risk scale, but it was what Dr. Bob said that made me think hmmm.  He said having infected blood in your mouth does pose a risk.   As far as semen or precum, I can understand, but why the blood?  Like how would that be different from a possible amount of blood from french kissing is my main question?  French kissing is no risk.

Cub

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 12:30:51 am »
Wow, I think I may be able to answer part of my own question... ;)

On a post from Dr. Kull in 2002, he states this:

Since there is no clear evidence that HIV is transmitted through kissing, it would be easier to say that there is no risk associated to that, but that could be considered innaccurate. It is probably more accurate to say that the likelihood of transmission is "extremely low" or "negligible" because there is no evidence that transmission happens this way. 

The fact that the risk of transmission through kissing is so low should hopefully indicate to you how you should proceed. Testing is not recommended, and the risk of transmission to you or your partner through kissing is not a realistic concern.

So even though most of the time french kissing risk is stated as nonexistent on The Body, I guess I can see why sometimes they will say extremely low risk just to be theoretically correct.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cub

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 03:59:25 am »
Hey Cub.

You need to move on from this issue.  The fact remains you were not at risk, no matter who tells you, it will still be the same answer.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 08:01:10 am »
Cub,

Why do you come here to ask us to explain illogical things someone said on another website? The reasonable thing to do would be to ask the person who said it. We're not your information clearinghouse or office gophers.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 03:41:13 pm »
Understood.  Whenever I need reassurance, i'm just sticking to this website because even though The Body may be a decent website, I guess it can throw somebody off.

I appreciate the responses.

And I hope you had a great new year's Ann.   :)

Cub

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 11:36:15 am »
Hello Rapidrod and Ann,

Hope you guys are doing well.  I'm doing alright.

Quick double-question:

Last night, a friend suprised me with kisses on my lips due to Valentines day.  I don't know my friends status but I believe I kept my mouth closed since I have two big kanker sores towards the back of my upper and lower gums.  I know this is not an HIV assessment question but since my sores were far enough back in my mouth, would I have posed a risk to my friend with HSV-1 if that's what I have?

Also, just to add what I already have learned, even though I don't know my friend's status, even if we would have deep kissed, two kanker sores will still NOT pose any risk for hiv transmission.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.   

Cub

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 11:40:14 am »
You don't get HIV from kissing. Could you spread your HSV1 by kissing her? Yes, but more than likely she already has HSV1. 3/4 of the population has HSV1.

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 11:31:09 am »
I'm thinking of taking a rapid test tomorrow to finally alleviate my fears and would like to know if a rapid test is completely reliable, and two if cholesterol meds will interfere with the result. 

Cub

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 11:36:11 am »
cub,

The rapid tests are completely reliable.

Cholesterol meds will not interfere with you test in any way, shape or form.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007, 05:20:30 pm »
Thanks for the information Ann.

I made a schedule mistake so I was only able to speak with an hiv counselor and assess my risk.  But now I'm much more informed on the testing locations and schedules so when I'm ready to try again, I'll know where to go.  Step in the right direction.

Quick question I'm wondering about...

I now know kissing, mutual masturbation and frottage are no-risk activities.  Kissing is no-risk period, frottage only can become a risk if you dip, only thing I'm wondering about mutual masturbation is if you get some pre-cum or sperm on a fresh cut by accident.  Like if an hiv-positive male were to ejaculate on your chest or back and you had a some sort of cut like a pimple or cut.  Still safe?  From what I have learned, I would assume it's still no risk since transmission happens on the OUTSIDE of the body not inside.

Opps!  Made a mistake, meant that transmission happens INSIDE of the body not outside.

cub   

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 05:59:06 pm by cubmartin »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 05:54:06 pm »
cub,

Yes, it's safe for the reason you mention.

Make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2007, 03:39:57 pm »
Hello Moderators,

Hope you are doing well.  I'm doing pretty good here.  Last night had some safer sexual activity and although my precautions were high, just wanted to double check on aidsmeds I'm in the clear. 

I stayed on the safe side so I kept it to open mouth kissing, mutual masturbation and recieving felatio. 

I thought I was getting a cold sore on my tongue but think it was more of a scold from hot food.  Either way, from what I have learned, open mouth kissing is NO RISK even if you have a cold sore or some abrasion in your mouth.  (I saw no blood from his mouth)  Mutual masturbation is also no risk as far as hiv transmission.  He would masturbate himself and then me so I'm sure his precum was on my penis.  That should be ok since that's all part of MM right?.  He performed felatio on me for less than five minutes.  Again, no risk if you recieve.  And that was it.   :)

I feel safe doing these activities.  As far as what I have learned, I stayed in the no risk area correct?  I already know the rules pretty good, just that this was a new incident and just wanted to double check with the experts. 

cub

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 10:37:02 am »
NO risk whatsoever. 

You should know by now how this virus works.  Unprotected sex is your only concern as I dont take you as one who would share a needle.

Please do re-read the lessons so you dont have to come here everytime you make out and masturbate with someone. It will be better for you in the long run.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 08:58:12 pm »
Yes, I guess I do know how the virus works at this point, on an inteligence level anyway.  I really haven't posted in a while and at this point, unless it will be some sort of intercourse question while using a condom, I'm done with any sort of questions regarding no risk situations.  Thanks again aidsmeds.com.  for all of your reassurance. 

Cub

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 05:47:44 pm »
Hello Aidsmeds,

Just a quick question...

Is there really any correlation with high viral load/high triglycerides?  It's not a suprise that I have high triglycerides since I've had high cholesterol off and on since college, and was diagnosed with fatty liver a few years ago, but I guess it makes me think oh great, I have high triglycerides.  Somebody please tell me it means nothing as far as hiv transmission.  (I wasn't looking up hiv symptoms, I was looking up high triglycerides to improve my levels and ran into that information.)

cub

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 05:51:37 pm »
It means nothing in relation to HIV.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 09:39:59 am »
Kind of anxious at the moment.  Had to do a routine TB skin test for work.  I don't know yet, might just be some skin bruising, but the result may be positive.  I did have a light cough last year that lingered for a long time and wondered if it was TB.  Now i'm scared that if I do test positive I might have hiv because the lessons says you should check if you have hiv if you have TB.  Trying to keep logical here and am referring back to my no risk incident couple of years ago.  Still, this is scary.

cub

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2007, 10:13:17 am »
Cub,

Leave the TB test interpretation to the doctors. Many people have slight reactions to them but it doesn't necessarily mean they are TB positive.

This has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2007, 07:53:14 pm »
I guess i'm relating HIV infection to TB because in the lessons under the section, who should get tested for hiv, it recommends anybody who has TB disease.  Am I interpreting this wrong? 

Are the lessons trying to say that if you have the actual active TB disease you should get tested?  Or anybody who tests postive for TB period? 

cub

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2007, 08:26:50 pm »
Cub,

Have you been diagnosed with TB? Why don't you forget about hiv until you find out your TB status.

TB has been around for a LOT longer than hiv. Having TB does not equal hiv.

You have never once brought a risk to this forum. You won't become infected with hiv without engaging in risk behaviours.

This is NOT an hiv situation. There's nothing more we can do for you here. Please make sure you know our posting guidelines concerning repeated posting over no risk situations.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2007, 01:48:29 pm »
Understood and I appreciate the response Ann.  Anxiety makes you easily forget that no matter what kind of symptoms or infections you may get, it's not going to change non-hiv transmission risks to possible risks.  I apologize for re-posting, meant no disrepect and will appreciate the guidlines about re-posting over no risk situations.

cub

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2009, 05:29:15 pm »
Hello Aidsmeds,

I wasn't sure if it was best to just reply to my old message or post a new question.  Either way, hope it's ok.

I was discussing hiv with a lesbian friend who is concerned about her girlfriend having multiple lesbian partners.  From what I have learned, there really isn't anything she can perform sexually to be infected with hiv from her friend.  I know that other STD's are possible but as far as cunnilingus, mutual masturbation, deep kissing and the use of strap-ons, none of these pose risks.  The only part I was not able to respond to was when she asked, what if she is on her period, or that some fluids began to flow even before your period begins.  I explained that I have not read such a situation and told her I would look it up.  I would appreciate a general response on why transmission does not occur to the performing partner of cunnilingus.  Does this change or not change even if a female is going through cycles?

Thanks you for a response.

Cub 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 06:02:00 am »
Cub,

The main sexual risk is unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse - all others are theoretical at best. the reason why lesbians have the lowest incidence of hiv in the world is because they generally do not engage in penile intercourse.

Going down on a woman is not a risk for hiv infection. It's purely theoretical that a woman on her period would be any more likely to transmit the virus during cunnilingus. HOWEVER, please tell your friend to refrain from going down on women with their period - not because of hiv - but because of other, much more robust blood borne pathogens that might be present like hepatitis. Far more people in the world have hep than hiv.

Hiv transmission doesn't stand a chance of happening via female genitals to mouth - there are just too many obstacles on the oral route.

The first obstacle is the mouth itself. The mouth is a veritable fortress, standing against all sorts of pathogens we come into contact with every minute of our lives. It's a very hostile environment and saliva has been shown to contain over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv.

Hiv is a very fragile virus - literally. Its outer surface doesn't take kindly to changes in its preferred environment; slight changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all damage the outer surface. Importantly, it needs this outer surface to be intact before it can latch onto a few, very specific cell types and infect. 

Which leads to the second obstacle. Hiv can only latch onto certain types of cells, cells which are not found in abundance in the mouth.

The third obstacle to transmission this way is having hiv present in the first place. The female secretion where hiv has been shown to be present is the cervicovaginal fluid. This fluid is actually a thick mucus that covers and protects the cervix.

The fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from glands located on either side of the vaginal opening. I have yet to discover one shred of evidence (and believe me, I've looked) that shows this lubricating fluid to have any more hiv present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears. Saliva, sweat and tears are NOT infectious fluids.

So there you have it. Once the results of the serodiscordant studies started rolling in, what we know about hiv transmission on the cellular level was validated. The only people who were getting infected were those who had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Period. One of the three studies went on for ten years and involved hundreds of couples. That's a lot of nookie.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 02:35:14 pm »
Thank you for your response Ann.  It makes perfect sense.  Thank you for the education.

Cub   :)

Offline cubmartin

Blood in mouth question
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49:14 am »
Hello Ann,

Usually if a student asks about HIV, I for the most part can give a researched, backed up answer that I've learn from this site.

Still, I couldn't really give the best risk level when asked about licking somebody's fresh blood.  Students are being educated that it's a risk.  I wanted to say that theoretically it probably is, but wanted to say that out of all documented cases, I don't think it ranks as the highest as far as transmission cases go.  May I get your opinion on what would be the best answer to give besides just don't do it?  Thank you.  Cub

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Blood in mouth question
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 04:09:50 pm »
You must keep all your questions, thoughts and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and give you the best advice we can.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the "Show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

I would also draw your attention to the posting guidelines for Am I Infected? which are outlined in our Welcome Thread.

Please note that your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:18 am »
Cub,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Frankly, I would be more worried about hepatitis transmission when licking blood. But seriously? People ask you about licking blood? ~sigh~ People are strange.

Of course you should tell them not to do it. While I doubt very much that they could lick enough blood for it to be a risk for hiv infection (and other factors would have to be involved like poor oral health), there are other blood-borne viruses that are much more likely to be transmitted, should they be present.

Ick.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cubmartin

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »
Thank you for responding Ann and apologies for starting a new thread.  I have not posted in a while and forgot I had to do so.

Yes, middle school students do tend to ask the strangest questions at times and more right now since they are learning about STD's in science class this month.  Thank you for your information, information understood.

One last thing, I quickly looked at some of my old responses and questions.  I have to say that I'm a bit embarrassed for being so obsessive in the past about HIV infection.  I must apologize.  Still, thanks for being there with accurate information.

cub

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.