Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:53:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773281
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 346
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: new dilema  (Read 2902 times)

Offline lifechanging2007

new dilema
« on: April 10, 2007, 02:35:50 pm »
Dear all,

sorry for taking so much time to get back to the forums well i was dealing and putting together all the "shit" with this virus.

I just came from my doctor and he gave me the news "start meds" with the results i have i wasn't surprised. but the thing he told me that i will be on meds for 6 months and then stop when the vl is undetectable. this will boost the time that i will need to take the meds again.

my test results are like this:
               27-01-07     14-03-07

CD4 counts   245           241
Viral Load     542000   858000
CD4 Percentage   15%       13%
CD8 counts    1011          1176
CD8 Percentage   63.40%      63.35%
CD4/CD8               0.24    0.21

I was infected on jan 07 so im in a cute infection but 858000 this is too much right?
27/01/07 CD4=15.36%=245 VL=542000
14/03/07 CD4=13%=241 VL=858000    STARTED COMBIVIR AND SUSTIVA ON APRIL 27, 2007
05/09/07 CD4=22%=361  VL=undetectable
21/12/07 CD4=22%=451  VL=undetectable

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said
The chances, the changes, are all yours to make
The mold of your life is in your hands to break.

Offline budndallastx

Re: new dilema
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:56:44 pm »
Check out this forums "Lesson" section.  It has a fairly decent explanation of what your tests mean and when to start meds.  This can help you talk to your doctor and discuss the best option for you.

The link is at https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:59:46 am by iana5252 »
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: new dilema
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:14:38 am »
Hi Life,

You don't HAVE to start the meds right now if you don't want to. You are still in the very early stages of infection and your own body will bring the virus under control on its own in time. The decision to start or not to start should be very much YOUR decision and you do have time to do your homework so you can make an informed decision. Starting treatment on the basis of only two lab results isn't really recommended.

Along with the link Bud gave you above, there are other articles in the Lessons that will help you. You do need to understand that taking the meds is a big commitment as they have to be taken every day at the same time - give or take an hour - without fail or you could be setting yourself up for drug resistance. The meds are also not without side-effects and some of these side-effects can take weeks and in some cases, months, before they settle down. Of course, some people don't experience any sides at all. You won't know where you'll fall until you begin to take them.

There are other threads on this subject in the Newly Diagnosed forum - so you may want to do a little reading over there as well. The best decisions are always informed decisions that you feel comfortable with. Please arm yourself with knowledge - it's one of the best weapons we have in the fight against this virus.

Please don't let your doctor push you into something you're not ready for or don't feel comfortable with. You should be working together with him as a team - not just letting him run the show single-handed.

If more questions arise during your reading, please come back here to the forum and ask away.

Hang in there!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.