Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:04:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 204
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An on-going thread  (Read 320584 times)

Offline wolfter

An on-going thread
« on: April 09, 2014, 11:47:26 pm »
We need a thread where the conversation is continual and can do a quick update on those we care about.  If someone starts such a thread it'll eventually have the most hits. 

It's best to post after our common medicine.  :)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: An on-going thread
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:28:59 am »
Good idea , though then you will see that in any 24 hour period I can go from unable to make a cup off tea to walking the dog.I do think I am left with the physical bi-polar.
bi-health?
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:51:45 am »
Good idea , though then you will see that in any 24 hour period I can go from unable to make a cup off tea to walking the dog.I do think I am left with the physical bi-polar.
bi-health?

Me too   :( 

There are many types of moods and energy levels in my day ; the MEDS make me feel dreadful , my
   coffee  perks me up to high speed   :)
    I say noon to 6 PM are my perky times .

Weasel

P.S. Bring on Spring , as I am in my 6th month of molting  :o
" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 01:14:55 pm »
bi-health?

capture the days that we can?  :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »
Almost time to log off this thing.  We're having an absolutely beautiful day and I plan on being totally unproductive today.  I've been on extreme overdrive of late and am wearing myself thin...literally. 

I knew I was focusing on accomplishing the many tasks that I'm undertaking, but working every single day on different projects for the last couple of months is ridiculous. 

Planning on taking a long walk and finding a place to grab a meal.  I've actually dropped below my ideal weight and want it back.  Being under 140lbs was attractive when I was young, not so much being middle aged.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 05:05:37 pm »
On one level I am struck by why you described, introduced the piece as being unproductive and yet it sounded like it was/is just what you need. Therefore if you achieved it it would be a very productive day .

Its OK I tie myself up it the same knots, This week has been very sleepy and not much achieved and therefore I am fighting the blues , yet it might be just what I need, trouble is its not what I want.

Wolfie we know you and weight is important and your Mother,s health and demands have been constant for awhile ,so the only one who is likely to change my dear is you.

And if after 10 years I still cannot live well with the level of energy I have , who the hell am I too say ought.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 08:25:35 am »
YEAH, finally am figuring out how to use the new windows on my work computer.  I hated it at first but am comfortable enough now to log into my sites without fear of leaving traces of wastefulness instead of doing my job.  :)

and now, I find Microsoft will not be supporting older versions of windows.  I guess my newer laptop with XP will have to be upgraded.  Doesn't seem rightly fair as I purchased it not long ago and it's almost $200 to upgrade.

Have a great day all.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 11:35:45 am »
As a Mac user running a now ancient OS I am well aware off buying something for it to be obsolete, but I have had good mileage from it and will now stay with Mac when the time comes for the eventual up grade. In the UK we pay the same amount in £ as you do in $ so Mac,s are bloody expensive . So I will get a mac mini next or even Mac Air tablet . It is frustrating when I am locked out off app,s due to not having the OS.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 05:16:23 pm »
I've been a bit busy lately so have not been on much.  I'm doing advocacy and a women's support group, that seems to run on all days of the week.  What I mean is, the ladies contact me on off-group days.  Which is fine.  I get paid for it, for even the work I do at home.  My supervisor (she refuses to be called boss, says it equates to slavery), has been around here and in the HIV field for over 20 years; I've known her that long.  So, she's easy to work for, but expects excellence at the same time, which is fine. 

One of my former clients is in the group and calling me, and I'm going with her to the doctor this coming Tuesday.  She's having stomach issues and the doctor is not doing anything other than telling her to "breathe" (WTF), so I'm going in with her to insist something be done.  Yeah, I've been known to do shit like that lol.

I'm tired.  Very tired. Emotional energy and all that.  My hip is doing pretty good, my knees are shit.  Not going to get a replacement any time soon, that hip surgery was enough for me for now.

Greg, I know you're going through a lot of stress.  I hope you had a good day when you said you were going to be "unproductive."  We need days like that.  Please pace yourself and don't get worn down.

Michael, I love your posts.  They're just so witty, and always make me smile.  I think of you often, and hope you're doing well.  I know about on and off days, believe me. 

I'm going to try to be on more, when there's not a crisis happening.  The man who lived in the back apartment passed away a couple weeks ago, so I've also been helping his girlfriend get his apartment cleaned out, and figure out how to pay for his cremation.  His daughters are not helping because he didn't have a big pay out. >:(

I hope everyone else is doing well.  I think this thread is an excellent idea. Thanks for starting it, Greg.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline harleymc

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »
Hi all,
 haven't posted in ages ... couldn't really ever justify a new thread for my bits and pieces that were happening in dribs and drabs, so happy this thread is here.

Big changes in my life over the last 6 months. Started physio to fix a bung shoulder, I'm not as compliant as I should be with the exercises but have had significant improvement. It was sore doing it, but the shoulder held out for a summer season of slowpitch softball.

Broke up with the ex, readjusting to single life after 8.5 years together is odd. Moved house about Xmas time.

I'm now 2 months into a couple of vocational courses (business administration) and (travel and tourism),  the big aim is to be back into work by July. (Fingers crossed) I'm battling with Centrelink (Australia's social security) I was getting income support before starting study but have been cut off for 13 weeks... Lodged an appeal yesterday. Stressful to the max!

cd4s have shot up to 140 YAY, some stresses are worth it!

Offline Theyer

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 08:36:23 am »
Hello Harley, Are you only going to post your own thread if you say survive a Shark attack, twice?

There,s enough in your post for a collection . Kudos,s to you for your presentation and up beat-ness and good luck with the Battle . Where exactly are you , your Island not being the smallest place on the planet. Loved your post Harley it gets my understated Jeez reaction off the week. But don,t be a stranger to us ,

And BETTY , dear darling Betty , there,s a Fun Fair camped out on Clapham Common so off course my walk with the Dog includes thinking about you. I am not surprised to hear you are emotionally tired, there is a lot off energy you are giving out , .The daughters sound a lovely collection , sorry you are having to sully your good self by having to have contact with them.I would be tempted to give the Gentleman a New Orleans style funeral with the bills going directly to them.

Some people Betty my dear have no grace.

And CARL how is the kitchen. Am I the only person totally immune now to caffeine. I love the taste but drink a large mug off an strong Italian blend and promptly wake up two hours later.

More postings please , eager to know how us band off doughty die hards are fairing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:47:23 am by Theyer »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 03:04:57 pm »
seems such a simple way to stay in touch and update on our mundane lives.  :)

I truly enjoy the updates from people, even the simple things.

@ Betty, I decided to be unproductive until I saw my golf clubs and decided to spend an afternoon cleaning and polishing them.  That weather is finally upon us. 

And because mom's been in the hospital I decided to deep clean her home. 

I also love Michael's posts, but I'll admit that I don't understand them half of the time.  :)  I've had to use google many times.

Hope you all have a great rest of the weekend.  Just got off work and have a bowling party to attend later so I have to grab an hour or two of sleep before heading back to my last night of work.

hugs all
greg

Offline harleymc

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 05:29:27 pm »
I certainly will not start a thread if I only survive one of the shark attacks.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 06:13:21 pm »
I certainly will not start a thread if I only survive one of the shark attacks.

Off course you would not , like any self respecting Australian you would simply get out the duct tape complete the repairs and enjoy what is it yes ----a cold one. So so butch , and quite admirable in many ways .

Now I as a yapping pom I must post the slight tickle my throat has.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 06:23:48 pm »

Now I as a yapping pom I must post the slight tickle my throat has.

Is that British slang for choking on a pubic hair ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 08:52:38 pm »
Is that British slang for choking on a pubic hair ?

I have this feeling that Michael is referring to a tickle way, way, down the throat.   ;)

Joe

Offline Theyer

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 09:15:01 pm »
British slang for choking on pubic hair    " amateur "

Offline weasel

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 10:20:16 am »

And CARL how is the kitchen. Am I the only person totally immune now to caffeine. I love the taste but drink a large mug off an strong Italian blend and promptly wake up two hours later.

Theyer , The kitchen is coming along well , I just made a fine post , that
    went poof ! So I will leave it at that for now .

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 11:07:52 am »
I have made a chipmunk friend . Its nice out so I have the back door open and this little chipmunk has been sitting on my tool bench in my carport about 10 feet away everyday for weeks now watching me on my computer by the door . I fed him pumpkin seeds yesterday and crackers this morning . He is getting brave now and doesn't run away as much . He is living under the the tool cabinet and probably chewing it up under there but I cant see much I can do about it . I have seen him or her come and go from under there for the last 5 years and since they are solitary animals I assume its the same critter .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 12:10:43 pm »
Oh, that's so cool about the chipmunk.  Wild animals are so interesting to watch.  I like to watch squirrels chase each other.  They have a lot of energy.

Greg, I just deep cleaned my bedroom and moved everything around.  Yes, I took everything out of the bedroom.  It took the whole day yesterday, but I'm glad I did it.  I haven't gotten out the spring/summer tops yet, but will after I do laundry tomorrow. 

I also have to have a dexa scan tomorrow, Tuesday I see the surgeon.  I'm tired of these doctor appointments, and I know you all can relate.

Today I cleaned the living room rug, so I feel better about that.  Hope everyone is having a good day.  And oh, I didn't understand that remark about the throat either.  :)

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Theyer

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 02:55:58 pm »
Woke up at 2am in sweat soaked bed, with a almighty headache, temp. bones aching and sore throat . it,s now 19.50 and my temp is gone. Very slow and wobbly . Feel weak .

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 03:40:34 pm »
I think animals have a natural instinct when it comes to humans.  Several wild critters around here don't run off and usually await the treats I bring them.  Our little fat squirrel roosts a mere few feet away while I will his food bin.

A couple of summers ago, I discovered a group of baby opossums on mother's porch that were obviously abandoned.  They had settled on the bottom shelf behind some clutter and were starving.  Eventually, I was able to pet them while feeding them.

I've been checking the rescue sites for several weeks looking for a new doggie.  I'm specifically looking for an older pet as they usually have a difficult time finding a forever home.

Now, it's time to turn on the air as the oppressive heat has started.  Almost 80 outside.  Or, since it's Ohio, I could simply hold off as we're expecting snow in 2 days.  Only here do you wear a bikini and a parka in the same week.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 04:04:15 pm »
Woke up at 2am in sweat soaked bed, with a almighty headache, temp. bones aching and sore throat . it,s now 19.50 and my temp is gone. Very slow and wobbly . Feel weak .

Is this an example of your bi-health Michael? Hope you feel better soon hun.

As for myself, nothing much new other than a pinched nerve in my back from having too much gusto too soon after a relatively sedentary winter. I spread around some mulch in the garden and have pretty much been walking the old man shuffle since.

Oh, and my mother is moving into assisted living at the end of the month. She is NOT happy as she thinks she is self sufficient when we all know she isn't. (geez, four "she's" in one sentence, lol.) This move will kind of force her in some ways to socialize more and that's exactly what is needed. Time for her to be more of a yapping pom or is that what she has been doing?  :-\  :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 08:22:04 am »
No darlin this is something above and beyound , seeing Doctor tomorrow , its a bug but then I also get urine infection so blah blah blah

Offline Theyer

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 08:28:01 am »
Is this an example of your bi-health Michael? Hope you feel better soon hun.

As for myself, nothing much new other than a pinched nerve in my back from having too much gusto too soon after a relatively sedentary winter. I spread around some mulch in the garden and have pretty much been walking the old man shuffle since.

Oh, and my mother is moving into assisted living at the end of the month. She is NOT happy as she thinks she is self sufficient when we all know she isn't. (geez, four "she's" in one sentence, lol.) This move will kind of force her in some ways to socialize more and that's exactly what is needed. Time for her to be more of a yapping pom or is that what she has been doing?  :-\  :)

It still makes me smile my Mothers absolute refusal to identify as old and needing care, as she fully intended to get better and unlike the " old people  " she lived with there was lots off life in her. Age 92 , bed ridden this was still her position .

Offline wolfter

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 11:23:58 am »
I hope you feel better soon Michael.  I had something that lingered for a couple of weeks.  At least we're experienced enough to not think the AIDS was getting us.  :)

Christ sakes, every little sniffle in the 80's scared the shit out of me. 

I'm just hanging out at mother's today since she might be coming home from the hospital tomorrow.  She has been in there a few days now.  Her home will reek totally of bleach as I'm doing a thorough cleaning for her.  She continues to smoke and that nasty grime settles upon everything pretty quickly.

Also taking a break from working on the new place.  I've exhausted myself of late and I'm working a couple of extra shifts at work this week.  I've followed my time line pretty well and am on schedule.  My goal was to have the inside completely finished by June which will happen.  Then I can focus on the outside and finally get a true appraisal and determine the next course of action.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 06:46:51 am »
I've been checking the rescue sites for several weeks looking for a new doggie.  I'm specifically looking for an older pet as they usually have a difficult time finding a forever home.

Now, it's time to turn on the air as the oppressive heat has started.  Almost 80 outside.  Or, since it's Ohio, I could simply hold off as we're expecting snow in 2 days.  Only here do you wear a bikini and a parka in the same week.

Good luck with the new dog search Greg.  I think it's wonderful you're going to adopt an older dog. 

Ohio isn't the only one where weather changes in a matter of two days.  Two days ago, it was in the 70's.  Yesterday afternoon it was like 35F.  This morning it is 29F, with the projected high being 36F.  Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 50's.  Snowing out right now.  So sick of this, but realize what area of the country this is.

I still have not gotten out my spring/summer tops yet.  I am debating getting a new bed.  I've had the same one for like 10 years. It's still in good shape, but I'm just thinking a new bed would be nice.  I have a frame, so would only need the mattresses. 

Did not make the Dexa scan yesterday, but am going to the surgeon this morning.  He should tell me how things are going, hip wise.

Michael, I hope you feel better soon!!

Offline Theyer

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 09:35:03 am »
I do feel better but fact is I am ill and  weak.

For the past 3 weeks I have noticed an alarming swelling at the end off the day around my socks elasticated tops , it occurs regardless off level off activity, so in truth the visit to the Doc is two fold , I for see investigations re heart troubles I had in the early2000,s and I do not want them .

I want enough energy to get to Orkney with the sense and piece off mind that it is not irresponsible to go somewhere so isolated .

I am not the happiest bunny at Easter at the moment and am sick to death off posting my boring on going health problems.

It would be fitting if I was 85+, but it is not for the nature off a physically active man of 56 or 7 .

If I was not conserving energy I would roar and scream

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:10 am »
I do feel better but fact is I am ill and  weak.

For the past 3 weeks I have noticed an alarming swelling at the end off the day around my socks elasticated tops , it occurs regardless off level off activity, so in truth the visit to the Doc is two fold , I for see investigations re heart troubles I had in the early2000,s and I do not want them .

I want enough energy to get to Orkney with the sense and piece off mind that it is not irresponsible to go somewhere so isolated .

I am not the happiest bunny at Easter at the moment and am sick to death off posting my boring on going health problems.

It would be fitting if I was 85+, but it is not for the nature off a physically active man of 56 or 7 .

If I was not conserving energy I would roar and scream

Its good to get your heart checked out in cases like this . I cant wear socks all day or my ankles or the area at the top of the socks becomes inflamed due to my nerve damage in that area, its painful and troublesome but in my case the solution is to remove the socks . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:16 pm »
When are you leaving Michael?  If I remember correctly, we'll not hear from you for a while you're on travels.  Certainly hope everything checks out ok.

@Betty, you better be getting that scan.  That might cause you to rethink falling in the future.  You mention a new bed; I was noticing mine sort of has a sag in it and I became a little upset knowing what we paid for it.  It should last several years minimum.  Then it dawned on me just how long ago we bought it...lol  Hell, Bill's been dead for 8 years now and I know we spent a lot of time on it. 

Offline Theyer

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 09:51:52 am »
When are you leaving Michael?  If I remember correctly, we'll not hear from you for a while you're on travels.  Certainly hope everything checks out ok.

@Betty, you better be getting that scan.  That might cause you to rethink falling in the future.  You mention a new bed; I was noticing mine sort of has a sag in it and I became a little upset knowing what we paid for it.  It should last several years minimum.  Then it dawned on me just how long ago we bought it...lol  Hell, Bill's been dead for 8 years now and I know we spent a lot of time on it.

Lord knows I certainly don,t I am awaiting Dental appointments and now have to get over this. I hate the idea off just going for 2 weeks , its a place I go and live in or was. Very low about it all truth be told . I have not recovered health fully from the Hospital stay , now I am ill again, the Dentist has washed her hands off me as its beyond her skills , and the fluid retention will need to be investigated. The GP yesterday , which could be a post in itself, particularly emphasized getting the fluid retention looked at due to my past heart problems.

Struggling to remain adult ,
m

Offline wolfter

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 09:04:37 am »
I'd find a new dentist if I had one who washed her hands of me.  I fired my long term dentist about a year ago and found one who specialized in PLWHA.  I interviewed several before I chose my current one.

I'm glad to say that I went from a complete basket case to a place of extreme serenity.  This entire week has seen calmness and I've slept the best that I have in years.  It even dawned on me that I've not had a cocktail since Saturday night.

hugs and luvs to you all

OH, and we're possibly back to air conditioning weather today.  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 01:16:22 pm »
Lord knows I certainly don,t I am awaiting Dental appointments and now have to get over this. I hate the idea off just going for 2 weeks , its a place I go and live in or was. Very low about it all truth be told . I have not recovered health fully from the Hospital stay , now I am ill again, the Dentist has washed her hands off me as its beyond her skills , and the fluid retention will need to be investigated. The GP yesterday , which could be a post in itself, particularly emphasized getting the fluid retention looked at due to my past heart problems.

Struggling to remain adult ,
m

I've been a bit preoccupied the past few days with my dearest friend dealing with heart surgery and a blood infection. I sincerely hope you get it checked out soon.

I can hear the frustrations in your posts here and wish you well soon as I know how you so enjoy your time spent in Orkney. So hate it when health blips get in the way of our fun!

Offline Theyer

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 10:39:41 am »
Forgive me for forgetting to inquire about your friends progress, I hope they are on the mend . I am at least up and dressed this Easter Sunday , feeling OK isk .Beginning to grow concerned about complete lack off appetite. The kitchen is groaning with food stuffs all off which the brain/stomach revolt at .

So , tis case off least revolt maximum force, at least twice a day . I think its french bread done with sour dough and eggs and maple syrup which I can at least type without gagging. Saint Mark is providing food stuff,s and dog walking and without him life would be much the poorer. I must be one off the few folk whose helpers is a straight Oxford  1st  brainiac Management Business consultant , all the tasks off the day are programmed around Rugby on the Television.

However Saint Mark deserves much credit , more so as he would not dream off seeking it.

All the Best Easter wishes to ALL OF YOU , drop by and lets have a resurrection.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 11:14:06 am »
Thanks for asking. He had a blood infection (unknown cause) and was having trouble breathing. they discovered damage to his heart. (he is hiv-) They normally would have waited to do the surgery but the cardiologist said he wouldn't have lasted for 2 days. Two valves replaced. He will also be on an IV for the infection for about 6 weeks.

They moved him out of ICU yesterday. He is exceeding their expectations. Yay! He and I have known each other for 37 years. I can't imagine what life would be without him. We are leaving soon to pay him a visit. It's been a scary week.

Eat Michael, eat.  :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 11:36:55 am »
 :) :) :) ^ . Good to hear he is much improved .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 01:41:51 pm »
Thanks for asking. He had a blood infection (unknown cause) and was having trouble breathing. they discovered damage to his heart. (he is hiv-) They normally would have waited to do the surgery but the cardiologist said he wouldn't have lasted for 2 days. Two valves replaced. He will also be on an IV for the infection for about 6 weeks.

They moved him out of ICU yesterday. He is exceeding their expectations. Yay! He and I have known each other for 37 years. I can't imagine what life would be without him. We are leaving soon to pay him a visit. It's been a scary week.

Eat Michael, eat.  :)

Can not blood infections cause damage to the heart?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 02:35:59 pm »
So glad your friend is doing well Mitchy.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 06:21:40 pm »
Thanks guys. And yes Michael, the blood infection seemed to be the culprit.

The visit was great. He looked good but has lost some weight. Full of good humor as usual.

Just after recovering from surgery he was dialing 911 to report the nurses. lol. The next day he was feeling more like himself and was singing to one of his nurses on the intercom. Daisy was her name and Daisy he sung.

His current roommate is a born again Christian. NOT my friends cup of tea but they seem to be a very nice family. They all fell in love with him and the roommates grand daughter (about 8 years old) wrote him a beautiful letter and brought him a Teddy Bear during our visit. We bought him the gaudiest gold cross neckless we could find at the hospital gift shop. He cracked up and the picture of him with it and Teddy is priceless.

He will probably be released in a couple of days! 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 11:21:45 am »
So excited to get started on my fire pit today.  Never understood why they placed the fire pit in such an area that the adjacent fenced in lot is unaccessable.  It's a huge lot and I need to get all the fun stuff completed for my first annual camp party.

Already have the driving range done, but must get the horse shoe pits done along with the darts area.  The electric is already done so we'll be able to set up the campers pretty easily.  I have a plumber coming to give an estimate for installing a dump station into the existing sewer. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 01:15:34 pm »
Im probably going to have a molar pulled this afternoon . I have had two root canals done that hasn't taken . I probably not in compliance with local Alabama anti pretentiousness ordinances for having a full set of chompers anyway .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 03:53:48 pm »
Well Hell . I had my dental appointment and all they did was make another appointment to have it pulled . I have bone loss in my jaw, hope it doesn't migrate south . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 04:38:22 pm »
Well Hell . I had my dental appointment and all they did was make another appointment to have it pulled . I have bone loss in my jaw, hope it doesn't migrate south .

Are they sending you elsewhere for the pulling? My dentist did. I guess everyone's a specialist these days.

Btw, how do they determine if you have bone loss in the jaw?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:14 pm »

Btw, how do they determine if you have bone loss in the jaw?

They throw you across the room and if the dog doesn't bring you back there is no bone . That and they do a this scan where the camera goes around the jaw and face, real highteck stuff that instantly pops up on a monitor, even I could see it  .

And yes ... they are sending me back to the dentist that sent me to him .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:40 pm »
I had a tooth issue last year after I was already diagnosed with osteoporosis.  My dentist did that same scan to make sure I wasn't suffering bone loss in my jaw.  Never heard of such a thing before then.

And being a West Virginian derivitative, it's imperative to retain my toothies til death. ;D

What else causes bone loss in the jaw?  I'm assuming at your age, you've already had a BDS?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:11 pm »
I have never been BDS'ed . I didn't ask a single question but now that you mention it I will ask about that . I have grown fond of the bones in my face would hate to part with more of them . I go back next Monday for the extraction and will let you know .

Then we can start a thread in LTS and talk about how living with HIV for thirty years will cause your head to become a deboned water balloon . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »
I've recently mentioned this in another thread; my doctor is now routinely ordering BDS on all of his long termers.  He is seeing a large percentage of us with osteopenia and osteoporosis way too soon.

I urge everyone to get a base level early.  So far, there's no cause and affect reasoning for early bone loss but his best guess is the early meds.  imagine that!  It could also be lack of nutrition.  How many of us spent years hoping we could hold down at least part of meal?

It seems reasonable that if we were wasting in other areas, that the bones would weaken also.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2014, 11:06:27 pm »
Im prone to waiting till its broke to fix it . I have had bad stomach pain for a few years that I didn't see a doctor about until Ann made me . I thought it was just more of the same chronic pain I live with but it was stomach ulcers and H pylori . Just finished a 10 day course of antibiotic cocktail today for that . Between that and the bronchitis I had now been on harsh antibiotics for the last 50 days . I'm done I tell you .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2014, 12:22:34 am »
Im prone to waiting till its broke to fix it . I have had bad stomach pain for a few years that I didn't see a doctor about until Ann made me . I thought it was just more of the same chronic pain I live with but it was stomach ulcers and H pylori . Just finished a 10 day course of antibiotic cocktail today for that . Between that and the bronchitis I had now been on harsh antibiotics for the last 50 days . I'm done I tell you .

Me too, that's what led to a prolonged recovery with my broken leg.  I get chastised for procrastinating so I'm throwing it right back at you. ;D 

I had a duodenial ulcer a long time ago and it was complete agony.  I tolerated it to the point where it had to be surgically repaired.  Another wolfism...lol    Glad you got those nasty issues taken care of and am looking forward to your bone results. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:10 pm »
With all of my teeth issues last year I'm thinking that the high tech jaw dissolving test would be a good idea. My dentist never mentioned it. I've become less happy with him as time goes by. He always seems to be tying to be a salesman.

Finally had my Dexa Scan last week. Will find out the results at the end of the month.

Jeff, so glad you are done with those antibiotics! How is the ulcer?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.