Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:30:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 376
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Groups Using Fear about HIV in Regards to DADT  (Read 24287 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Groups Using Fear about HIV in Regards to DADT
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2010, 05:47:21 pm »
I personally feel things have gotten MORE conservative and backwards... :-\

Than in the 1930s?

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2010, 06:19:00 pm »
Than in the 1930s?

Well, let's see - up until 1937 pot was legal... Homosexuality was mostly overlooked and no big deal.. Yeah, I'd say so.
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2010, 06:30:32 pm »
Well, let's see - up until 1937 pot was legal... Homosexuality was mostly overlooked and no big deal.. Yeah, I'd say so.

Ok pot being legal I can dig, but I think you need to back up the assertion "homosexuality was mostly overlooked and no big deal" with some evidence.

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 06:31:31 pm »
Ok pot being legal I can dig, but I think you need to back up the assertion "homosexuality was mostly overlooked and no big deal" with some evidence.

Such as?
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2010, 07:35:52 pm »
Such as?

I dunno boy. You're making the assertion, the onus of proof rests with you.

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2010, 07:39:47 pm »
I dunno boy. You're making the assertion, the onus of proof rests with you.

Understood, but what do you consider "proof"?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2010, 07:47:01 pm »
Understood, but what do you consider "proof"?

Something must have made you draw the conclusion that "homosexuality was mostly overlooked and no big deal" in the 1930s.

What was that something?

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2010, 07:51:00 pm »
Something must have made you draw the conclusion that "homosexuality was mostly overlooked and no big deal" in the 1930s.

What was that something?

Well, I have heard several military guys state that up until DADT and all of the fervor raised over it that homosexuality in the military was not a big deal at all - and know of 2 friends of my father that were homosexual and grew-up in the same time period (he was born in 1937 also)... And it simply wasn't publicly discussed one way or the other, for or against.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2010, 04:35:05 am »
I personally feel things have gotten MORE conservative and backwards... :-\

I am convinced that is NOT TRUE.  There has been so much progress for the civil rights of Gays and Lesbians (and everything inbetween homo and hetero and male and female).

However we live in a very mediated age where its easy for the minority on any side of an issue to make themselves heard. And its much easier to engage in depate - the Internet is a 24/7 soapbox. That doesn't mean people go about their days 24/7 explicitly fighting political and cultural battles.

Since civil rights for gays are going forward at a steady clip, there is bound to be, in this media age, a large display of all the ways people are uncomfortable having to adjust their worldviews. 

Pleasantly, I find the younger generation has plenty of chilled-out souls without any feelings of disgust or threat about gay/lesbians issues. 

I don't see the situation as ideal or close to resolution, I dont have rose coloured glasses, but I do feel like there is steady progress.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 09:39:42 am »
Well, I have heard several military guys state that up until DADT and all of the fervor raised over it that homosexuality in the military was not a big deal at all - and know of 2 friends of my father that were homosexual and grew-up in the same time period (he was born in 1937 also)... And it simply wasn't publicly discussed one way or the other, for or against.
Well, let's not forget Oscar Wilde, the famous author.  In his time, being Gay was a crime and one could be sent to jail, which is no picnic.  I like to think of the good old days also, but let's not forget of the social, economical, gender, race, creed and color issues.  It is not like the movies or plays my dear.  If you lived in those times, you may find yourself downtrodden or invisible.  Depending on what social status and country you were born into, life was either a bowl of cherries or definitely not a bed of roses.  Although, it must be said that much has changed, some for the better and some for the worst.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2010, 10:35:23 am »

Homosexuality was both illegal and classified as a mental illness during that time.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2010, 11:55:22 am »
Well, let's not forget Oscar Wilde, the famous author.  In his time, being Gay was a crime and one could be sent to jail, which is no picnic.

Oscar Wilde was also a pedophile that liked 12-year-old boys....

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2010, 04:20:04 pm »

::)

Again evidence? And this time it better be something more than what your Pa told you when you was a young 'un in Crow's Ass Indiana.

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2010, 05:30:37 pm »

Again evidence? And this time it better be something more than what your Pa told you when you was a young 'un in Crow's Ass Indiana.

MtD

Um, duh... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde

He hung-out with a child ("Bosie" aka little Lord Douglas), introduced him to what is now called "rent-boys" and is also believed to have sodomized him & participated in orgies with him.

Got that, "city-slicker"? Even us "dumb hicks from Indiana" know that isn't right...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2010, 05:55:54 pm »
Peeps, please lower the heat level some before it gets problematic in here.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2010, 07:05:25 pm »
Um, duh... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde

He hung-out with a child ("Bosie" aka little Lord Douglas), introduced him to what is now called "rent-boys" and is also believed to have sodomized him & participated in orgies with him.

Got that, "city-slicker"? Even us "dumb hicks from Indiana" know that isn't right...

I meant to respond to this earlier, but I was busy taking a shit.

Oscar met Alfred, Lord Douglas (aka Bosie) in Chelsea when Bosie was 22 years old. Oscar was 15 years his elder and they commenced a life long relationship. The sexual aspect of that relationship soon ended as they both preferred young working class men (stablehands, grooms etc).

They certainly did indulge in orgies and employ male prostitutes, who in England are commonly known as "rent boys". The term "rent boy" does not refer to prepubescent youths, as you erroneously assume.

Moreover Oscar had two sons with his wife Constance. Cyril (1885-1915) and Vyvyan (1886-1967) He was a doting and attentive father who adored both his boys.

Your assertion that Oscar was a child molestor is as obnoxious as it is ignorant.

MtD

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2010, 07:24:42 pm »

that is some bullshit.  Evidently you have not read 'De Profundis.'

Can you learn your history before posting such absurdities?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »

I think this is what JAWS would be like if it had bears in it. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2010, 12:33:32 am »
They certainly did indulge in orgies and employ male prostitutes, who in England are commonly known as "rent boys". The term "rent boy" does not refer to prepubescent youths, as you erroneously assume.

Allegations during the trial for the sodomy charges stated many of them WERE underage.

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2010, 12:34:02 am »
that is some bullshit.  Evidently you have not read 'De Profundis.'

Wilde's version.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2010, 01:03:16 am »
Allegations during the trial for the sodomy charges stated many of them WERE underage.

Produce some fucking evidence to substantiate that claim otherwise you're just embarrassing yourself.

Sodomy with any male in 19th century England was an offence, thus there was no age of consent for homosexual behaviour. Homosexual behaviour amongst men was an offence no matter what the ages of the participants.

In fact Oscar was prosecuted for "gross indency with other male persons" - charges which arose from his failed suit for criminal libel against Bosie's father, the Marquess of Queensbury. Queensbury produced evidence of Wilde's homosexual dealings with other men and the suit collapsed.

But please, produce evidence of Oscar's alleged pedophilia. Names of the boys and their ages. If you can't do so then you should desist.

Wilde's version.

Of course it's Oscar's version. He wrote the fucking thing.

MtD

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2010, 05:57:06 am »
 ???  How did this thread get so off track?  If you guys want to dish it out and spam eachother, make another thread or get married or something.   :D

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2010, 06:33:07 pm »
???  How did this thread get so off track?  If you guys want to dish it out and spam eachother, make another thread or get married or something.   :D

Agreed... His fan-club is going to refute any charges ever made against him, and accept no evidence that doesn't come from Oscar himself.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2010, 06:38:01 pm »
Agreed... His fan-club is going to refute any charges ever made against him, and accept no evidence that doesn't come from Oscar himself.

You haven't presented any evidence, boy. You might wanna git yerself some more of that book learnin' afore you shoot yer piehole off in future.

;)

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2010, 06:42:33 pm »
You haven't presented any evidence, boy. You might wanna git yerself some more of that book learnin' afore you shoot yer piehole off in future.

;)

MtD

Yessa, massa, youse issa right... All of ussa people notta from you city izza rednecks...  ::)

You have yet to show any evidence that his tricks weren't underage either - and that is the first time I have ever heard he met met "Bosie" at 22, not the age that Lord Douglas' father stated at all.. It's become kind of a pointless discussion on both sides. You believe the evidence you choose to believe and I believe the evidence I choose to believe.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2010, 06:50:50 pm »
Yessa, massa, youse issa right... All of ussa people notta from you city izza rednecks...  ::)

You have yet to show any evidence that his tricks weren't underage either - and that is the first time I have ever heard he met met "Bosie" at 22, not the age that Lord Douglas' father stated at all.. It's become kind of a pointless discussion on both sides.

I don't have to show you a fucking thing. You asserted that Oscar was a kiddy fiddler and have failed to provide a single fucking iota of evidence to back it up.

Everything I've stated regarding Oscar in this thread I know to be a stone cold motherfucking fact. Don't believe me? Google what I've said. See if I'm wrong. I'll suck William Shatner's dick before an audience of rattlesnake handling pentecostal Christians if I am.

And for the record I relied on sources other than the Wiki.

MtD
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 06:52:46 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2010, 06:57:02 pm »
I don't have to show you a fucking thing.
Everything I've stated regarding Oscar in this thread I know to be a stone cold motherfucking fact. Don't believe me? Google what I've said. See if I'm wrong. I'll suck William Shatner's dick before an audience of rattlesnake handling pentecostal Christians if I am.And for the record I relied on sources other than the Wiki.

MtD

Oh, you were there? You know it to be fact firsthand?
And what would those sources be, other than Oscar's works?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2010, 07:25:11 pm »
Oh, you were there? You know it to be fact firsthand?
And what would those sources be, other than Oscar's works?

MtD

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2010, 05:17:54 am »
less hate please unless you want this thread to be close by the "Powers That Be."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.