Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:21:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 178
Total: 178

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Regan Hofmann in the NY POST  (Read 38274 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Regan Hofmann in the NY POST
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:49:04 am »
There's an excellent and inspiring piece by Regan Hofmann in the NY POST. There's also a great picture of her. She has a memoir coming out called "I Have Something To Tell You"

She ROCKS!@

HIV fighter lives to tell tale

Ex-prep-school gal sheds stigma

Regan Hofmann, 42, grew up in Princeton, NJ, attended private high school and rode thoroughbred horses while hiding a deep secret for nearly a decade: that she was HIV-positive. After 10 years of silence, she disclosed her HIV status to the world when she became the editor in chief of POZ, a magazine for people with HIV/ AIDS. With her memoir "I Have Something To Tell You" hitting shelves Sept. 22, she tells her story to The Post.

Thirteen years ago, I sat in my doctor's office, wiggling comfortably in a La- Z-Boy massage chair, drinking a Diet Coke and watching Jerry Springer on TV. I had gone to my doctor after noticing a swollen lymph gland in the groove where my leg meets my body. He'd taken my blood and tested me for a litany of things, including HIV/AIDS. I'd been tested before and had no reason to worry (or so I thought).

A week later, the doctor called me back in. At his office, they asked me to wait in my doctor's private quarters, as he was running late.

I was jiggling in the recliner feeling relieved that my life was so much calmer than that of Jerry Springer's guests when a squadron of people in white lab coats burst in. Looking at their frowning faces, I knew something was terribly wrong. Suddenly, I was in my own Jerry Springer-esque moment.

But the last thing I expected was to hear my doctor say, "I don't know how to tell you this, so I'm just going to tell you. Your blood work shows that you are HIV-positive."

Continued...

LINK:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/hiv_fighter_lives_to_tell_tale_BmOluTAdj12M0Fds4g9ZNM
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:52:03 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Regan Hofmann in the NY POST
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »
Regan Hofmann is a snobby elitist.  I wouldn't take the time of day to read the full story.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Puckslinger

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:09:53 pm »
Interesting article. Glad to see the New York Post showing enough interest to put out the story.

Hopefully, someday the stigma will be no more.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:17:58 pm »
Nice article.  I read an excerpt from the book and it seems interesting.  I think I'll get it.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:44:58 pm »

There's an excellent and inspiring piece by Regan Hofmann in the NY POST. There's also a great picture of her. She has a memoir coming out called "I Have Something To Tell You"

She ROCKS!@

yeah she does.

I think we're lucky Regan is a part of Poz/AidsMeds.  She has a lot to contribute to the story of AIDS. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 05:05:16 pm »
OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here with the elitist charge, a charge I never care for myself because I'm like the #1 Elitist in the world.  Like Miss Hofmann, I grew up in a wealthy area with the horsey set and just something I can't really help, even if now I can't sit in a saddle very long because I have no fat on my ass.  Sure, it sounds a bit much at the beginning of the NY Post article to go on about the private schools and Princeton stuff, but I think the point of it is to emphasize this background to show the reader that it's just not saucy homosexual degenerates and drug addict catch teh AIDS.  Of course, it sucks that the situation has to be like that but anyway that's my take on it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 05:21:19 pm »
I agree with you Miss P. It just happens to be her background so she is being described that way. It's not her fault that she comes from a well-to-do family etc.

And to all of those out there who equate HIV with the "degenerate faggots-slut-whore-drug addicts"* it's nice that there's someone like her representin' another face of HIV/AIDS

*Not that there's anything wrong with "degenerate faggots-slut-whore-drug addicts" catching teh AIDS but you know how some people are, it's not till they see "one of their own" that they take any notice.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:19:06 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 06:08:00 pm »
a squadron of people in white lab coats burst in

why a squadron to announce HIV+ status?  Is that the way it was 13 years ago?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 06:45:07 pm »
And to all of those out there who equate HIV with the faggot-degenerate-slut-whore-drug addicts it's nice that there's someone like her representin' another face of HIV/AIDS

I hope neither you nor anyone else think I believe the above long definition fallacy of the "face of HIV/AIDS."   The reason I made the charge of her being an elitist snob is because of things I've heard about her from a couple other people on these forums who've had personal experience with her.  Easy to go in front of a camera and be a total princess, mind, body and soul, isn't it.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 07:28:56 am »
a squadron of people in white lab coats burst in

why a squadron to announce HIV+ status?  Is that the way it was 13 years ago?

Well, I know it wasn't that way for me 24 years ago.  Maybe Regan could afford a squadron. At the Pinellas County, Fl Health Dept, ( which isn't a fancy  place, by any means) It was a woman with an accent that said " you are hiv positive" .  The next thing I knew, I was told to exit the building through the rear door, and not go out through the entrance I came in. Hmmm.  If I could live that moment over.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline hunnybee65

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 01:10:23 pm »
I picked up the book on Tuesday and didn't put it down until I finished it. Could have been anyone of us on those pages. I was diagnosed 14 years ago and still today people I come in contact with are clueless about HIV. Believe me I overheard a conversation yesterday that floored me, A mother of 2 teenage girls was talking about a guy who was sentenced to life in prison for infecting over 20 women with HIV. Her take was that everyone with the disease doesn't care and they just sleep around and spread it around. It is naive thinking like this that keeps the stigma alive. As Ms. Hofmann says in her book "HIV is an equal opportunity offender" I recommend everyone read it and pass it on......
HunnyBee65

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 04:48:42 pm »
I hope neither you nor anyone else think I believe the above long definition fallacy of the "face of HIV/AIDS."   The reason I made the charge of her being an elitist snob is because of things I've heard about her from a couple other people on these forums who've had personal experience with her.  Easy to go in front of a camera and be a total princess, mind, body and soul, isn't it.

So in other words you form your opinions on someone based on what someone else tells you?   The way you came off in your first post I figured you knew her or something.  Just curious, how did these "other" peoples experience affect you exactly?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 04:52:01 pm »
Well, I know it wasn't that way for me 24 years ago.  Maybe Regan could afford a squadron. At the Pinellas County, Fl Health Dept, ( which isn't a fancy  place, by any means) It was a woman with an accent that said " you are hiv positive" .  The next thing I knew, I was told to exit the building through the rear door, and not go out through the entrance I came in. Hmmm.  If I could live that moment over.

Ray

LOL!!!  Ray that's exactly how i was handled too!!!  LMAO..  the girl told me to go through this door, I figured there was going to be some counselors waiting for me back there.  When I opened the door I was really surprised to see the lot full of cars in the back of the building and the sun shining on my face.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 06:37:07 pm »
So in other words you form your opinions on someone based on what someone else tells you?   The way you came off in your first post I figured you knew her or something.  Just curious, how did these "other" peoples experience affect you exactly?

The "other people" happen to be very good friends of mine, and I trust their opinions 100%.  How it effects me?  It means I won't be buying her book.  As far as effecting me any other way, none really.  It's neither good nor bad.  In other words, I could care less.

By the way, about her being from a wealthy family. I have to admit, I'm immediately suspicious of the affluent.  From past experience, they're the worst criminals I've had exposure to.  Well, other than Ms. P. (hee).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 06:39:41 pm by BT65 »

Offline LPinUK

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
Regan Hofmann is a snobby elitist.  I wouldn't take the time of day to read the full story.

I couldn't agree more, and I urge everyone who reads this site to think the same.  People, honestly this woman sucks ass.
Diagnosed Poz September 2003, Current Regimen Truvada & Sustiva.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 06:52:53 pm »
When I opened the door I was really surprised to see the lot full of cars in the back of the building and the sun shining on my face.

LOL !!  Are you sure you weren't at the Pinellas County Health dept ?  Yep, I opened the door, the was a parking lot and some  Health Dept employees having a cigarette break.

I walked past them , lit one up myself , then went to the bar, where I proceded to get drunk on Southern Comfort ! 

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 06:59:31 pm »

I used to think that was the procedure back then, you know, get rid of the toxic trash through the back door !

However I do know , that it is not done that way today, at the Health Dept.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 07:49:58 pm »
I picked up the book on Tuesday and didn't put it down until I finished it. Could have been anyone of us on those pages. I was diagnosed 14 years ago and still today people I come in contact with are clueless about HIV. Believe me I overheard a conversation yesterday that floored me, A mother of 2 teenage girls was talking about a guy who was sentenced to life in prison for infecting over 20 women with HIV. Her take was that everyone with the disease doesn't care and they just sleep around and spread it around. It is naive thinking like this that keeps the stigma alive. As Ms. Hofmann says in her book "HIV is an equal opportunity offender" I recommend everyone read it and pass it on......

Hello Hunnybee65,

It's a tad unusual that your very first post is in this particular thread, but even more unusual that you picked the book up on its first day on the shelves. How did you hear about it? I see you're from NYC, perhaps you read about it in the NYTimes.

If you've been positive for 14 years you've never needed to show up and talk with any of us until today? Something doesn't square with me on the veracity of your post. I would love to be wrong in my e-gut reaction. But, anonymity affords such posts and their posters no challenges that ultimately reveal proof or negation.

The other thing I find unusual is how the book is being marketed (via this forum and a blog) to HIV positive people (in any way in which that occurs, whether directly, indirectly, or via someone akin to a shill in a comedy club). This is a population the members of which could each write a compelling and unique story of their journey with HIV. Every positive person knows about stigma-- lays it on his or herself or fears it from others, or both.

The author of the book asserts she is hopeful to bust HIV-related stigma, therefore, I submit that all marketing might be better directed to those who are not members of the diseased choir receiving the preached pitch. And, talk about reality, the price of the book for many among us buys essential groceries, or pays down a utility, or, or, or--buys cigs or booze or reefer.

I want everyone to have successes, but when it comes to HIV, I care greatly about the least among us having some successes---those who don't have fresh water, don't have enough food, don't have access to meds, don't have parents, don't have anything resembling a chance, a foothold--they move me, deeply.

If I were to set aside the money for the book, I know I would be doing more good with the money by taking it to the poorest mom in my immediate neighborhood. I hope Regan is successful in breaking down stigma barriers by way of her book. It will supplement and perhaps augment the efforts all of us have put into the human funnel by educating our family, friends, naive teens, potential dates and lovers by taking the time to disclose, discuss and discover.

One person, one book, one website, one group of similarly afflicted people--- none of it is enough to stem the stigma tide, but collectively and diversely, we stand a shot -- oh yes, plus that wonderful travel ban being lifted would go a long way to smash stigma. I do hope Obama's staff maximizes the PR value present in that long overdue event.

Regan's book will find its audience. Aside from the right spending component of my near-term decision not to run to Barnes and Noble or Borders, I have too many projects in the cue and a slew of books that have been sitting for years waiting to be read. And, the same is true of my movie-watching. I am consistently behind in these areas.

Gotta go make some dinner---how lucky I am to be able to write that.

Em

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 06:31:21 am »
Well, reading between the lines in this thread,

I'd wager she didn't have a squadron of people and is saying that for theatrical effect and also to create her importance. Or maybe to FAKE membership in an elite class to which she aspires but does not belong.
Often the worst snobs and elitists are wanna-bes. 

Maybe she's a middle class or upper middle class girl who longed (longs) for the Main Line or Park Avenue.  Poser, peutetre?

That said, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I've worked with many many snobs and elitists of grand guignol exaggeration, and usually those traits don't overwhelm good traits. Occassionally yes, but often you can step back, see it as a character flaw, and appreciate other contributions the snob is making. 

Also ambition can be mistaken for snobbery, or go together.  Also genuine class differences exist in how people see things and communicate and relate to each other, and sometimes are mistaken for snobbery.

No one loves a snob but they're not necessarily worthless members of society.  Jackie Kennedy and her Bouvier family were horrible snobs and social climbers and money obsessed, and people admire certain aspects of the way she handled her public duties.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 04:12:59 pm »

Until someone comes here and says that Regan is a friend of theirs and gives some credible takes on her personality I will chalk it up to just plain ole jealousy and envy.   So what she glammed herself up for the pics...  so what she rides horses with labcoats on.  Big deal...  I don't want to read her book solely because I already know its content.

I don't care if she's a snob or thinks she Miss USA...  I can reserve the right to not like someone just because I can.  I don't care for her at all....  But it's just because... ::)

Who would name their daughter after a President anyways....   Damn Republicans!

I'm  going back to the stupid thread in off topic now and see if I can understand what they are talking about.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 04:21:48 pm »
Oh trust me, it's neither jealousy nor envy.  And I didn't read one iota of the article, or the book, so I really have no idea what her background is, other than what people are saying. 

I can talk along with some pretty good snobs.  But, it's only because I went on and got an education.  And I have a lot of friends who have good higher educations.  I came from a working class family, and not high-working-class either.  But, I have some friends who are very much higher class.  But, I know their sincerity to help other people who aren't.  And not just to pay lip service to it either. 

The day I can't trust a very good friend's word about something due to the friend's personal experience, well, I guess I'll be a very lonely person, won't I.  But, I guess it's easy to throw around assumptions about people one doesn't even know, isn't it Skeebo.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 04:34:24 pm »
The day I can't trust a very good friend's word about something due to the friend's personal experience, well, I guess I'll be a very lonely person, won't I.  But, I guess it's easy to throw around assumptions about people one doesn't even know, isn't it Skeebo.

Are you asking me in the sense by saying that I have?  Of course Betty, I think we all are guilty of it.  Personally I can't stand people who ride horses while being chased by doctors in white labcoats.  It's just a personal thing I can't explain.

Wasn't attacking you by the way...  just asking you a question was all.  I still think she should change her name.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 05:10:25 pm »
Hey Skeeeebo,

"I can't stand people who ride horses while being chased by doctors in white labcoats."

Well, how about mauve labcoats?

Doctors who chase patients atop thoroughbreds (or Thoroughbreds, your choice)...are they like ambulance-chasing attorneys?

Where's Miss Alabama when you need answers to the perplexing, seemingly unanswerable questions?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 06:18:38 am »

Who would name their daughter after a President anyways....   Damn Republicans!

Tom,

It Regan not Reagan !   :)

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 12:47:05 pm »

Tom,

It Regan not Reagan !   :)

Ray

Thanks Ray my point exactly!  They spelled it wrong too!   Damn those Republicans, can't get it right even with their kids. 8)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 10:19:20 pm »

Well lookie lookie what me find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5I-YzvBR9Q

She  likens the horses to prozac.  Holy crap, so I could be saving a ton of money eating horse poop and I can look just like Ronnie...  I mean Reagan.  What a waste of hair, she should have locks. 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 10:22:16 pm »

I can almost hear the song We are the World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha9_cBLtl7k

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009, 10:25:41 pm »

Oh wow look to Regum's left.  I think we know this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIWoB4SS9QI

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 11:18:14 pm »

Hate to admit it, but she hides her evilness extremely well.  I figured she would have a fake British accent and stuff...  You know kind of like Madonna's accent...  Meagan sounds all valley girl like..  and the way she strokes them horses sends shivers down my mane..  I mean spine.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 03:13:48 pm »
Perhaps it is a good book, I don't know, because I won't be reading it.   She's never spoken one word to me in the forums (or anyone else that I know of, exluding a very brief "introductory post")...someone correct me if I'm wrong here.... I tend to agree with Em's gut e-feeling about the hunnybee post....

All I can say is good luck with it....but it's not on my top 10 "must read" book list.

::)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 04:23:06 pm »

I've been watching the horse video now for twelve hours straight and I think I am getting subliminal messages.   I keep telling her I'm married, but she just won't listen.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 05:50:27 pm »

Well lookie lookie what me find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5I-YzvBR9Q

She  likens the horses to prozac.  Holy crap, so I could be saving a ton of money eating horse poop and I can look just like Ronnie...  I mean Reagan.  What a waste of hair, she should have locks.  

Skeebo, that's why I have my Alpacas and goats, they so make me forget I have HIV, even when I take my meds I'm only thinking of my little farm animals and wondering if they are up and around prancing among the daffs in my little fantasy..oops, piece of heaven...and I too live just to get up and feed them every morning, I live with fairies too, did you know that.. ;)

I seriously doubt that MISS R.Hoffman will care a toss about what we think or feel about her, if you were making money  writing a book would you?..I don't care one way or the other to be honest with you, I won't be buying the book anyway.

Hugs to all those I know care about me.. ;)
Jan :-*

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:52:16 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline CallMeSid

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 06:22:17 pm »
The next thing I knew, I was told to exit the building through the rear door, and not go out through the entrance I came in. Hmmm.  If I could live that moment over.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but did want to address the dissatisfaction that Ray and Skeebo expressed regarding having been directed to exit the clinic building through the rear door.  I wasn't there, obviously, so I can't comment on the specifics of those places, but I do know that at some clinics, EVERYBODY who comes in to receive test results is asked to exit through a door other than one that leads back to the waiting room where others are sitting.  The "please exit through this door" rule is used so (a) those who are obviously distressed, crying, etc. are not inadvertently "outed" to the others in the waiting room and (b) those who are obviously relieved, smiling, etc. are not inadvertently "outed" to the others in the waiting room.  (I'm sure those receiving negative test results don't even notice that they're going out a different door -- they're just happy to go!)

I realize that when one gets this diagnosis, negative feelings well up and sometimes the responses of those providing the diagnosis are mis-read.  Again, I wasn't there, so I can't directly comment on your particular situations, just wanted to share what I know to be the standard operating procedure in other similar places.

Be well.
07/2006 HIV-negative
06/2007 HIV-positive
07/2007 CD4: 795 (40%), VL: <50
09/2007 CD4: 629 (43%), VL: 895  (~2 weeks after measles/mumps/rubella booster)
12/2007 CD4: 854 (45%), VL: <50
03/2008 CD4: 880 (45%), VL: 151
12/2008 CD4: 943 (46%), VL: 116
05/2009 CD4: 865 (44%)  VL: 107

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 06:47:18 pm »
 The "please exit through this door" rule is used so (a) those who are obviously distressed, crying, etc. are not inadvertently "outed" to the others in the waiting room and (b) those who are obviously relieved, smiling, etc. are not inadvertently "outed" to the others in the waiting room.  (I'm sure those receiving negative test results don't even notice that they're going out a different door -- they're just happy to go!)

Be well.

Hello Sid,

Well, I can tell you, that I was not distressed. I was very much in self control, and was calm. I was not crying or hysterical. Once again, very much in control.

As I also stated, this same policy is not done this way today. I have taken several people to this  same Health dept for their HIV test, Many years after I tested positive, And we went out the same door we came in. They tested positive. So the times have apparently changed. I suppose some plan must be in place , in case someone gets emotional.

And as Tom stated.  There was no counseling offered,  just a couple of pamphlets offered. although today, it has improved quite a lot.

It was as if they wanted me off the premise.  This was 1985. A much different time. In a small community. ( Clearwater, Florida)

Anyway,  when I go to my doctors office, I don't go out the back door, when I leave.  I don't even think there is a back door, except for emergency fire exit.

Take care----Ray

EDITED TO ADD:  I still feel , as though I was being treated , like Toxic garbage, to be told to leave the building this way.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:59:56 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 08:11:07 pm »
Somehow this strikes me as the rich just getting richer.  While I always support anything that will diminish the stigma of HIV, I just don't see this book doing much of anything.  She has not risked anything to write the book, no fear of loss of job, living quarters or worse.  Just a rich woman using her contacts to ride her infection to a really fat paycheck.  I'd be impressed if all the proceeds were going to an AIDS organization, but they aren't, so who really stands to benefit from this book?  I also believe that her shilling her book, in a HIV blog no less, is just crass commercialism.

Lastly, if she is so interested in marketing her book to our community here, how is it that she has never posted a thread here, other than an introductory thread, which was probably a requirement of her new job.  Personally, I am disappointed that she is the face of HIV that POZ Magazine presents, as she does not even remotely resemble the true face of HIV, as most of us know.  It smacks to me of just another opportunist making a buck on the back of pozzies.  I really expected better.  I really did.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:26 pm »
The "please exit through this door" rule is used so (a) those who are obviously distressed, crying, etc. are not inadvertently "outed" to the others in the waiting room and (b) those who are obviously relieved, smiling, etc. are not inadvertently "outed" to the others in the waiting room.  (I'm sure those receiving negative test results don't even notice that they're going out a different door -- they're just happy to go!)

Hey Sid,

I understand your point, however it wasn't just being pointed to the rear exit that irked me.   I was given no information on what to do next.  Yeah I know I'm a big boy and everything, but these people do this as their job and I view not having information on something your being paid to do as being inept at your job, especially one that may lead to an extremely delicate situation as telling someone their new diagnosis.   Don't tell me I am going to die if you don't know for sure I am ....  and I especially don't want to hear how you just lost two friends and one of them was only infected for 6 months.   Still for the life of me can't imagine what she was thinking....

I seriously thought she was leading me to a door to talk to someone.  Hell my best friend and his wife were still in the waiting room.  I had to walk all the way around to the front and go back inside to get them. 

LMAO  it's kind of funny now looking back on it...lol

Offline Basquo

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 10:28:50 pm »
Regan was very kind and encouraging to me during the process of writing an article that was originally supposed to be an online feature on poz.com and ended up being printed in POZ.

Perhaps writing and publishing a book is something she always wanted to do and finally has a platform with which to do it, but whatever the motivation I applaud her for doing it. True, anyone here could write a book, but has anyone? Regan has made her career in print, and this is another accomplishment for her.  I have a degree in journalism, but it's not my career because I realized about the time I graduated that I didn't want to be in such a cutthroat field.

I don't see this endeavor as causing any harm other than the ill feelings expressed in this thread, and if it garners the attention of some of her retractors, professional or not, more the better. If it inspires affluently-raised people to get tested, even better yet.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 10:41:29 pm »
Skeebo, that's why I have my Alpacas and goats, they so make me forget I have HIV, even when I take my meds I'm only thinking of my little farm animals and wondering if they are up and around prancing among the daffs in my little fantasy..oops, piece of heaven...and I too live just to get up and feed them every morning, I live with fairies too, did you know that.. ;)

I seriously doubt that MISS R.Hoffman will care a toss about what we think or feel about her, if you were making money  writing a book would you?..I don't care one way or the other to be honest with you, I won't be buying the book anyway.

Hugs to all those I know care about me.. ;)
Jan :-*

Yeah I have  Diamondback Terrapins myself.  Got back into raising them shortly after my diagnosis.  They look like the picture below.  I wasn't aware you lived with fairies, since you shared I must admit to having a leprechaun in my backyard that I talk to daily.  Little shit leaves these gold coins everywhere and I keep telling him they are ruining my lawn mower.  

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 01:02:11 am »
 Just a rich woman using her contacts to ride her infection to a really fat paycheck.  I'd be impressed if all the proceeds were going to an AIDS organization, but they aren't, so who really stands to benefit from this book?  I also believe that her shilling her book, in a HIV blog no less, is just crass commercialism.

I know a bit about the book publishing business and even when it was in better shape than it is now, only people who have bona fide bestsellers ever make any real money from books. And the fact is that the state of book publishing right now is probably worse than it's ever been. My point is, I sincerely doubt that Ms. Hofmann's motivation here is to make money. And if she ends up making money anyway, then more power to her.

I hope there's a movie deal, maybe Nicole Kidman can play her. ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:16:25 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline mecch

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 09:34:17 am »
Personally, I am disappointed that she is the face of HIV that POZ Magazine presents, as she does not even remotely resemble the true face of HIV, as most of us know.  

I thought the point of POZ politics, if such a thing exists, these days, is that there is no "true face" of HIV+ people. Utter rainbow coalition, very very diverse.  

Otherwise, I get your points.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:36:35 am by mecch »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 11:10:19 am »
Personally, I am disappointed that she is the face of HIV that POZ Magazine presents, as she does not even remotely resemble the true face of HIV, as most of us know.  It smacks to me of just another opportunist making a buck on the back of pozzies.  I really expected better.  I really did.

I couldn't agree with you more, Joe.

Hugs to all those I know care about me..

Hugs to you, Jan...always.

Now there's a REAL woman, who's fighting the stigma of AIDS, helping her community, and living life to the fullest -- our Jan    :-*   :-*   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 11:35:48 am »
Ok--I'm not a basher by nature and far be it from me to bash another pozzie just for being HIV positive--that's not what the following comments are about:

I've read Poz for years, and frankly I've really grown tired of hearing how rough the Divas have it.  In my opinion from reading her articles, I would call Ms. Hoffman a Diva.  The world of HIV does not rise and set in NYC and CA.  Very rarely do we hear the life stories and ongoing issues faced by the vast majority of HIV positive men and women who have to deal with public health care.  Sure there will be a snipet here and there in Poz about some guy from Chicago or a woman in Atlanta, but as far as ongoing story telling and opinion from  those of us in the non-diva hinterland, Poz falls flat.

Maybe its because I live in Detroit where we don't have time, money or the desire to require our 'out' HIV positive people to be divas.  We don't get sabbaticals.  We seldom have to schedule our meds and support group meetings (if we still have funding for one) around the latest art opening.  We don't feel the hassle of having to have a 'team' of physicians and care providers fawn over us.  We don't have to deal with thepressure of an impending writers deadline so we can get our views out in time for public consumption of what it is 'really' like to live with HIV.  We don't get invited to speak to and with power brookers and policy makers.

Instead, we:

-Get our meds as long as ADAP holds out.
-See the doc as long as Ryan White is funded
-Wait 2 months to see specialists
-Have difficulty getting transportation to the pharmacy or care center
-Have most of our supportive services now deamed non-'core services' defunded by Ryan White
-Work as long and as hard as we can, because we have to get rid of everything to go on disability
-Try to influence policy but very often or conversations are with secretaries or legislative aides at the local level because NO big and well funded group pays our way to DC to talk and meet with the real power people.

Spare me please the Ms. Hoffman's of the HIV world.

This current issue of Poz is a great example of what I'm talking about.  I realize she's the publisher, but is Poz now, "All Regan, All the time" now?

The three main articles in this edition:

1) Sex Crime by Jennifer Morton,Regan Hofmann and Oriol R. Gutierrez Jr.

2) The Tales of Hofmann by Regan Hofmann
Three and a half years after publicly disclosing her HIV-positive status on the cover of this magazine, POZ editor-in-chief Regan Hofmann reveals deeper insights into her life as a journalist, an advocate for positive people—and a woman living openly with the virus. Here, an excerpt from her memoir, I Have Something to Tell You.

3) Fighting for Our Freedom by Regan Hofmann
POZ editor-in-chief Regan Hofmann sat down with Hanssens to discuss the issue of the criminalization of HIV transmission.

This is a bit much, don't ya think?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 12:48:47 pm by MarcoPoz »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 01:35:02 pm »

This is a bit much, don't ya think?

If you're referring to the fact that RH wrote (or co-wrote) two of the articles in the "features" section and the third was an excerpt from the new book, it's very possible that POZ is suffering financially, as most other publications are nowadays and they may be down to a bare-bones staff. And as for the serialization of the book, this is very common for a magazine to do a first serial of a recently published book, I don't see anything wrong with this, everyone does these kinds of promotion, give the woman a beak.

You only cite the features section, there are three other sections that comprise the issue, with a variety of articles in each, including one about "A new campaign (that) challenges the media to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS in black communities" as well as one about access to condoms in black communities and other pieces about HIV health-related topics (erectile dysfunction, women undergoing menopause, etc).

Is there room for improvement with POZ magazine? Maybe. This doesn't justify the kinds of personal attacks she's getting from some in this thread. I don't know her personally and I have no stake in her book, financially or otherwise. All I know is that after finding out I had HIV, as I was doing a voluminous amount of research on the topic, I came across a few articles by and about her and I thought, "this is a compassionate, intelligent woman, I'm glad she's doing what she's doing."

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:49:58 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2009, 01:49:56 pm »
If you're referring to the fact that RH wrote two of the articles in the "features" section and the third was an excerpt from the new book, it's very possible that POZ is suffering financially, as most other publications are nowadays and they may be down to a bare-bones staff. And as for the serialization of the book, this is very common for a magazine to do a first serial of a recently published book, I don't see anything wrong with this, everyone does these kinds of promotion, give the woman a beak.

You only cite the features section, there are three other sections that comprise the issue, with a variety of articles in each, including one about "A new campaign (that) challenges the media to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS in black communities" as well as one about access to condoms in black communities and other pieces about HIV health-related topics (erectile dysfunction, women undergoing menopause, etc).

Ok--so three articles in a magazine isn't a 'bit much' for you.  ONLY the feature section???  Look at the graphics of the 'cover' on line--bang-bamm-bomm--3 in a row from the glorious Ms Hoffman speaker for all PWA's.   As for "Everyone does these kinds of promotions"...really?  Pimping Poz to shill for a book you wrote--NOT a diva-esque thing to do?

Look--I'm not hear to argue about wether Ms. Hoffman is a good person or not--my point is that I'm weary of hearing about her and her viewpoints alone as if they were more than just HER'S.

Poz has had a long history of being egocentric to the voice of the publisher and main writers--it is their perogative, but it is also very boring and only tells the tale from one point of view.  HIV does not soley exist in Manhattan or LA--the rest of us in between need to have a consistent voice that speaks to and from our reality.  Ms. Hoffman is not equipped to do this.

Offline mecch

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2009, 01:59:43 pm »
Maybe its time to restart a marxist leftist or at least very political HIV+/PLA "zine" type magazine.
I know Didier Lestrade is totally put off by a similar situation in Paris - gay scene and Public HIV+ "spokespeople" divorced from living issues.
That way we can have our trust fund pozzies in conversation with ADAP strugglers. etc etc.

I'm game

However, I'd insist there is NO global and NO local stereotype, or "face" of HIV+/AIDS. 

All inclusive, and no B.S.

Offline mecch

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2009, 02:15:44 pm »
P.S.
This forum is pretty cool as toward that end.  Not too many here really argue there is a preferred voice / face for HIV+/AIDS. 
This is an interesting conversation, sparked by this person Hofmann's identity.

You know, there are plenty of people, maybe even in Detroit, who are HIV+, go to work, see their doctors easily enough, are not so poor, and live normal-ish lives - when or if they are not being discrimminated against for being HIV+.
I know this doesn't represent the experience in the history of the epidemic, but sorry, it's part of the HIV+ "experience" today in 2009.  You know, all over Europe for instance, the medical care part of the experience isn't so terribly precarious and difficult as many other places in the world.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2009, 02:16:02 pm »
Mecch,

you make WAY too much sense  ;D

Offline mecch

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2009, 02:20:51 pm »
too much philo and social science at uni

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2009, 02:39:52 pm »
I just reread some of my statements here and I think maybe I need to clarify some things.  I respect Ms. Hoffman.  I respect any PWA who is able to stay positive, healthy and be part of helping others (or even just helping themselves).  I have also respected Sean Straub, Stephen Gendin and countless others who have had the courage to speak and write their truths so others would better understand.

But...

I think it is a VERY disempowering thing to follow some cult-of-personality defacto 'leadership' of who the 'official' voice of all PWA's is or are--there is NO all SINGLE encompassing voice.  My problem with the trades like POZ is that they are too quick to create these pozzie-darlings who become defacto leaders.

I challenge Poz and other national PWA forums and entities such as NAPWA, NMAC and others to move away from the Diva creation model and begin to incorporate more representative voices from our experiential continuum.  Ms. Hoffman is a GREAT representative of her OWN views and should NOT be seen as anything else.  To this end, we need to hear from those struggling on ADAP or locked in waiting lists, those who live of trust funds, those going back to school and those helping partners die.

We need to have a way to communicate the wholeness of what it is to live and die with this disease in an honest, upfront and all encompassing way.   Our diversity is what will help break the lack of risk perception among those still believing that HIV will never happen to them.  Our diversity is what will begin to finally dent the armor of stigma because no longer will anyone be able to say it is only 'those people, who deserve it' who get HIV.

So Poz--if you're listening...the Diva thing is so 90's--lets move on and begin to show all of our colors and spots and them maybe or choir (made up of ALL of our voices) can sing with one voice to those who need to hear.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:42:27 pm by MarcoPoz »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2009, 03:36:08 pm »

What does the "face" of AIDS look like these days anyways?  I always thought it was a nondiscriminatory type thing.  Isn't it one of those equal opportunity type diseases where we can all get it whether we are: rich or poor, black or white, pretty or ugly?

I always figured POZ magazine to have mainly a readership of positive folk. Why does it need to try and shatter any stigma?  Why does POZ need to make us aware of those struggling with ADAP?  It's readers are well aware of this already. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.