Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:57:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 475
Total: 477

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Having trouble sleeping  (Read 9727 times)

Offline TreDai

• Miss Ohio Plus America 2008
    • my website
Having trouble sleeping
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:04:19 pm »
Hey Fam,

I am having trouble sleeping!! Does anyone else go through this? iI average 4 hours a night, Any suggestions please!!!!! I have been like this for two months. And i think it is effecting my CD4 it dropped alittle. Any advice for the youngin here? ??? :-[ :-\ :'( There are times I don't sleep for days .. my doctor doesn't have an answer  and my in home nurse doesn't have a clue!! I am tired and my head constantly hurts!

OK I am done pouting now!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 11:07:26 pm by TreDai »
"Our people die because of a lack of knowledge"
 Miss Ohio Plus America 2008

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Having trouble sleeping
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:41:20 am »
TreDai, what meds are you on?  If you're on Sustiva or Atripla, that could affect your sleep. 

You also don't say how long this has been going on?  If it's been happening for awhile, I would talk to your doctor.

It's hard to say whether it's med vs. emotional.  But, if it turns out to be something bothersome then, yeah, talk to your doctor.  Wish I could give you more.
      Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline TreDai

• my website
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:46:09 am »
Betty, I am not on any meds i tend stay stable, it has been going on for almost six months, Mydoctor doesn't have an answer and my counselor doesn't either. it has gotten worse in the last two month.

BeTheLove

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »
What does your intuition tell you about why you are having trouble sleeping?  stress? worry? caffeine-a-holic? Can't sleep cause the man lying next to you is keepin' you busy all night long? <wink>

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »
TreDai, if it becomes too bothersome, I might talk to my doctor about going on a mild sedative i.e. sleeping pill.  Of course, that's totally up to you.  Some people do have trouble with this at some point in their lives.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline stella8940

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:03:52 pm »
 :) TreDai, I have trouble sleeping. mostly cuz my brain wont shut off. Are you active physically and mentally during the day?
I take Benadryl when I am having trouble, its just an allergy over the counter medicine that makes you drowsy.
I also take Trazadone, which is a Dr. Rx.  I only take that when Ive been looking at the clock for 2 hours waiting to fall asleep. I read, have some chammomile tea. I try that before I take anything. The Benadryl is good b/c its non habit forming, and the trazadone isnt either. Only problem with the trazadone is that you build up a tolerance to it so you either have to take more, or stop for a few days then start from scratch.
You definitely need your sleep. its really important for your overall health. You also might be going thru a chemical depression, that can cause all kinds of funky issues. Im not a dr. but I would talk to your Dr. real soon and make sure he/she knows that this is a serious issue for you.
Feel better soon,
Stella ;)

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 11:13:29 am »
Hi Tre-
I would definately look at the stress in your life.  If I have a lot going on, I usually fall to bed exhausted but wake up after only a couple of hours and can't get back to sleep.  My mind won't stop and it drives me crazy. Depends on what you like, go to bed without the tv on or if you need noise put the radio on, try reading or doing something to relax your mind. 
Good Luck.
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 12:09:13 pm »
Tre-
I was thinking about you about 5 this morning when I couldn't sleep.  Have you had a luck finding out whats making you not sleep?
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 12:19:20 pm »
Hi Tre~

I always have trouble getting a good night's sleep.  The girls here are right, you have to tune into yourself and see what it is.  I know what my probs are:  Sustiva, thinking too much (mind is racing) and caffeine.

I tell myself no more Diet Cokes after I get home from work and sometimes I take a low-dose Xanax 2 hours before bed.  I don't know if the Xanax helps or not, though, its only .25mg.

Stella made a good point about the Benadryl, its great to help you fall asleep but you may not want to get up in the morning!  LOL  Just take one pill (25 mg HCL) about 2 hours before bed, and don't plan on going ANYWHERE.  It will knock you out and you should sleep soundly. :)

Best of luck, also try try some deep breathing or progressive relaxation.  Tense up your toes very tightly, then release.  Flex your feet then release.  Tense up both legs then release.  Squeeze your butt, tense your tummy, tighten your arms, you get the idea.  All the way to your neck and head.

This "progression" upwards from toes to head will exhaust your muscles and help you sink into the mattress.

Hopefully, you'll be out like a light!  ;)

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

tendai

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:33:34 am »
Hie Tre, i agree that maybe its stress-related. I used to lose sleep when i was really stressed.  these days i fall asleep at around 8 or 9pm and i almost always wake up aroung midnight or 1 or 2am (mostly to pee) and wont get back to sleep until around 3 or 4am. its a miracle i wake up before 7am to get ready for work. i just watch tv until i fall asleep again mostly.
i hope u find out whats keeping you up so much...

Offline TreDai

• my website
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 06:55:16 pm »
Thank you ladies!! I am stressed!! I talked to my doctor and I am suffering from post traumatic stress disorder... So I have begun to do different things deep breathing reading running listening to music and even hypnosis to put me to sleep.. (the hypnosis only when i really have to and i won't be bothered because an half hour under equals about 6 hours of sleep.Getting woke up before i am ready is a pain) The ability to go under was a gift actually given to me by the Friendly hypnotist.

Thanks for the love and support

Tre' ;)

Offline sexyatlpeach1

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:49 am »
HELLO, EVERYONE, TRE' I'M IN YOUR SAME BOAT AND JUST CAN'T SLEEP. HOWEVER, I 'VE BEEN LIKE THAT FOR ALMOST 2 MONTHS. IT WASN'T THE MEDS BECAUSE I JUST STARTED THEM YESTERDAY. BUT, EVERYTHING STELLA, SAID IS TRUE MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO TRY THE SAME THING.  SO LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF IT WORKS FOR YOU. THANX, STELLA YOU ARE A BIG HELP!! I'M GOING TO TRY THE TEA TONIGHT.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.