Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:24:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 322
Total: 323

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: world gone mad  (Read 4255 times)

Offline jportland

2001 tested neg
8/2002  seroconvert
9/2002 Tested Poz
No Meds
2/2003 302/25% 76K
9/2004 463/23% 14K
8/2005 342/22% 19K
7/2006 381/29% 24K
3/2007 386/34% 34K
3/2008 230/21% 269K
3/2008  Started Meds
7/2008 485/23% VL 140
9/2008 465/24% VL Undetectable
1/2010 581/29% VL Undectectable

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
Re: world gone mad
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:15:35 am »
That was an interesting read. Thank you.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:32:27 am »
If anyone needs me, I'll be in the kitchen with my head in the oven. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:07:50 am »
It’s not the world that’s gone mad, but we have.

Ego, pride, greed and stupidity are ugly aspects of the human species. And now we are seeing why. We need the Earth more than it needs us and it seems to be telling us so. And who can blame it? We are not an essential species. The illusion we’ve lived under for so long is finally being shattered. Scary stuff, but hardly surprising.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:09:34 am »
If anyone needs me, I'll be in the kitchen with my head in the oven. 

LOL

Offline Iggy

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 01:31:20 pm »
Lord knows I'm the last person to be mistaken as a ray of sunshine, but this article is a piece of garbage in my opinion.

Give a good P.R. person ten minutes with google, and you will have a press release about all that is right with the world and how better we are now then yesterday.  I dare anyone to woe is me the state of the world today (or at least America since the article seems to equate the two) compared to period's like the Great Depression, the height of the cold war when real M.A.D. between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. seemed only a matter of when and not if... hell even the energy and inflation crisis of the 70's.

If you need some context, please read Grapes of Wrath, The Jungle or even The Ungovernable City (NY in the 60's-70's) if you want to see times when things were really spinning out of control.

There is a lot wrong today indeed, but the only thing I find insightful in the article was the use of the word "spin" in the headline. 

The Presidential election is in full swing and the only thing missing here is the girl with the Daisy.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 02:20:09 pm »
I don't think most folks need this article to realize that we aren't as better off as we were say a generation ago. With no manufacturing base, stagnant wages and ever increasing prices and the national debt the evidence is everywhere. No empire has ever progressed under these conditions and we will be no different. America has every reason to be nervous about it's economic future. Hopefully we will pay attention this election year, but it ain't gonna be pretty.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 03:11:46 pm »
In the small town I live in, the Hummer II plant laid off, the county mental health facility laid off 120 people, and one of the largest hospitals "downsized" 30 people out of a job.  The food banks also are going by new guidelines because of so many new families needing them-one bag of food per person instead of three (these are just a few examples).  My brother teaches a few classes at a local college, but because he is not a tenured professor, he doesn't have insurance. 

I agree with Aunty.  Americans do have reasons to be nervous.  I'll be voting for Obama in November, but I don't see how he can possibly fix this mess in four years. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 04:47:15 pm »
Conditions in the world as a whole are getting better but conditions in the United States are not. I was reading an article recently (sorry, but I can't find the link) that globally fewer people are starving, more people have access to healthcare and there is overall less violence. There has been a lot written lately about the troubles with the US, particularly with the economy. Fareek Zakaria has written an interesting book "The Post-American World" about the current changes in global power. Here is an excerpt: http://www.newsweek.com/id/135380

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
I have a hard time paying attention when such sweeping statements are made.especially in a presidential election period.  On a Macro basis I would completely disagree..I think Ford ( GSO Gymrat) got it right, mostly,  some conditions in many places are better and in some they are worse...I have seen first hand the flow of immigrants coming here to "better their conditions"   from all kinds of specific issues  from poverty to politics to justice....and from many places in the world....this is better than where they came from
I am also very aware that there are places in this country (USA) that are seeing hard times..that has always been the case...just now it is very easy for anyone to "get the word out" by the press or internet and scream about how awful it is in their particular place...  so many people are having problems with economics..repo houses,cars, over limit on credit cards.etc... these are largely self imposed problems  ( I know that is not a universal truth) but when you buy a $400,000 house but can only really afford a $200,000 one that is something you brought on...same problem with credit cards.....
I have real empathy for the folks who have lost their jobs and are now in a financial problem..maybe the extended unemployment will help them for a while.....most food banks are run by social service agencies and churches..when there is general anxiety about the economy  even the most generous people start to hold back..no real solution to that...
I have lived here and in many other places around the world and whatever the current popular opinion may be there are still a lot of people who envy our living standard and political freedom...  we still get thousands of immigration application from Europe, Asia Africa even Australia and South America.... we as a country need to find a rational way to deal with that issue....
so, brief summary.,.be careful what you wish for....the grass is not always greener and sometimes is highly toxic....many "solutions" are worse  long term that the problems they are supposed to solve.....
I hear so often about the "manufacturing jobs have left...."  yet every major auto make from Germany and Asia has recently built a plant here to manufacture their products..same  is true of the electronics makers...even the Chinese are looking for places in this country....BTW  the "prestige" auto in China is a Buick Regal sedan....they have purchased the  right to make them in China..

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline fearless

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 09:42:48 pm »
I have to disagree with the doomsayers. Facts will show that we are by far the luckiest generation to live on the planet. Why we don't feel good about it is the real question.

If you think the world is going to hell in a handbasket, you may need to update your attitude. In his book The Progress Paradox: How Life Gets Better While People Feel Worse, journalist Gregg Easterbrook has gathered a formidable array of facts and figures to suggest that human beings have never had it so good on this planet — at least the 500 million human beings who are fortunate enough to live in America, Western Europe, Australia and Japan. “The creation of entire regions of the world in which most people are well-off — in which the typical person lives what all previous generations considered a dream — is without precedent in history,” says Easterbrook:

“Public health is improving by nearly every measure…. Doomsday claims to the contrary, environmental trends are nearly all positive…. Drinking, smoking, and most forms of drug use are declining. Teen pregnancy is declining. Welfare rolls are shrinking without increase in poverty. Women, immigrants, and minority group members are acquiring ever-larger slices of national pies. The divorce rate has stopped increasing. Personal freedom has never been greater. Book sales hit new records almost every year. Movies and television may at times be excruciating, but otherwise art and culture have never been more active, interesting or diverse. Nearly all forms of death due to accident are declining. Crime has declined so rapidly that the fall has been almost eerie…. ”

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:51:16 pm by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 10:46:49 pm »
I'm not a doomsayer and I think that the US is one of the best places to live in the world for numerous reasons. I do think that financially we are entering a rough patch and part of the reason is because other countries are doing so much better and have such growing economies. Also we have made some stupid decisions recently such as... oh... starting a hugely expensive and prolonged military campaign while simultaneous cutting taxes and borrowing money from other countries to finance it.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 09:10:22 am »
I think GSO & Fearless (edited to add Nick as well) brought a better context to what I wanted to express.

The issue I think is that as the standards of living for the whole world rise, there will be effects on other countries (such as the U.S.) in what we previously had claimed as ours or couldn't perceive as ever being lost. 

Manufacturing is a good example. 

I am not minimizing the issues in the U.S. (and anyone needs to look at my med/cost issues to appreciate I understand this on a personal level,) but I do think the notion of things are spinning out of control or that the world has gone mad is more election year hysterics then reality.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 12:16:39 pm by Iggy »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.