Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:41:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 592
Total: 592

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: A genuine case for worry. Needlestick injury  (Read 4528 times)

Offline confused_n_worried

A genuine case for worry. Needlestick injury
« on: January 01, 2007, 08:27:13 pm »
Hi.

Roughly 5 years ago I stepped on a syringe at the beach. I was only 16 at the time and this would probably be up there with one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. I decided to wait and 13 weeks and get tested. During this waiting period I came down with a cold, starting getting very fatigued (couldn't do anything but lie around) and all my glands (neck, armpit, groin, knees etc..) started swelling up and becoming painful. I felt like shit and was like this for at least 5 months after stepping on the syringe. The test came back all negative (doctor gave me the results over the phone). However I remained skeptical as to whether she actually ordered an HIV test because I remember distinctly that she wrote down "HIV antibodies" in the wrong area of the pathology sheet. A lot of doctors in Australia will not order an HIV test unless you really insist.

Anyway, over the next 5 years my fatigue persisted and has gradually become worse. I would regularly seek second opinions and would tell them my story. Usually they just order a Complete Blood Count (CBC) and send me off on my way saying it's stress related. I tried to ignore the problem but the fatigue is just so unbearable some days. I decided to read up on my results a bit and obtain copies of the pathology results. It seems like my white blood cell count has steadily declined over the past 5 years and this has me worried. It's on the lower end of the normal range.

So three months ago I finally decided to ignore my doctors advice and insisted on getting a proper HIV test done, one where I could actually see the results on paper. At this point I was 95% convinced I had HIV. The symptoms I'm experiencing could be caused by any number of things but it's the sequence in which its occurred that has me scared. The test came back NEGATIVE and on the sheet it read "HIV Antibody & Antigen = NEGATIVE".

From everything I read on here it would seem like I can trust these results. False negatives are very rare outside of the window period. The doctor assures me I am HIV negative and I believed him for awhile. My girlfriend and I even started having unprotected sex (she got a full STD check prior) and now I'm worried she's been infected because she's displaying some of the ARS symptoms not long after the first time we had unprotected sex (torso rash, sleepiness, headache, fever, no energy). She is also pregnant (blood test confirmed) which could definitely explain some of her symptoms but I'm still quite worried.

It wouldn't bother me too much if I ended up being HIV positive, but to give it to the person I love, even by accident would probably push me to suicide.

I'm sorry if this topic bothers those who actually have HIV but right now I need some reassurance. I wouldn't be worried if I didn't have any symptoms but my body feels like it's slowly shutting down. These days I have trouble with everything, even my memory is shot. I'm only 21 but have the energy of a 70yr old and my swollen glands still come back to haunt me.

I'm so scared and worried right now. The possibility of a false negative is too much of a burden to carry. What should I do? I feel so lost.

Offline RapidRod

Re: A genuine case for worry. Needlestick injury
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 08:40:19 pm »
At that length of time span, you can rely on the results. If the syringe was discarded in the sand you most likely didn’t have  a risk to begin with, except for  tetanus.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 08:56:05 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 08:54:50 pm »
Confused,

You were NOT at risk of hiv infection through stepping on a needle on the beach, however, hep C IS a possibility. Perhaps you should test for hep C.

You are conclusively hiv negative. Keep working with your doctor to find out what it really going on, because whatever it is, it isn't hiv.

Ann
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 08:55:00 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline confused_n_worried

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:33:01 pm »
Well there have actually been a few instances of HIV infection through discarded needles in Australia (of which I've seen on the news). Apparently the virus can live up to 3 days in a syringe.  At the time I was tested for Hep-C and tetanus and those came back fine as well. Thanks for the reassurance though, I appreciate your words. It has been most helpful!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 12:00:10 pm »
confused, Australia has 1 documented case and it happened in a prison where a prison guard was injected with a syringe full of FRESH hiv infected blood. ONE CASE.. not several or a lot. Just ONE CASE.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.