Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:49:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 218
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV - abbreviations and slang - bad taste?  (Read 15772 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
HIV - abbreviations and slang - bad taste?
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:30:24 pm »
I have a friend who is HIV-, and she has a lot of HIV+ friends.  She survived cancer. She shared with me this opinion - saying "meds" for medicine or treatment is tacky. 
"I have to take my meds".
"I'm starting meds."   

She says it good taste to say medicine, or treatment. (I'm taking HIV Treatment. I'm going to change my medicine. My treatment is working very well. etc etc)

It's a minor point but I started thinking about it. Soon enough I completely stop saying "meds".

She also thinks POZ is a bit tacky.  As in "I'm POZ". 
Again, a minor point.  But interesting.

So what do you all think about that?

Seen this thread before. The slang that really bothers me is French speakers who use "clean" to mean HIV-.  "Je suis clean".  Its so atrocious, we can all agree.

But what about POZ? MEDS. Don't mean any disrespect, bringing this up in the POZ forums, after all, which have been so helpful!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

tendai

Re: HIV - abbreviations and slang - bad taste?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 06:29:28 am »
i actually prefer saying 'meds' rather than ARVs or ART. it makes the disease not-so-scary to me. by all means bring on the slang..

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:50:02 am »
NO big woop.  I hear that English call cigarettes, fags and the French call fags, poophs.  A rose by any other name still smell as sweet baby.  Oh my god what the world is coming to. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:06:29 am »
Tell your friend we don't take "treatments." People with cancer take treatments, because there is an end to the treatments.

We are on HAART. We take HAART for life, otherwise, we won't have one.

I take meds. I sometimes say, "I have to do my drugs." That usually scares the straights.

You could mention to your friend that some types of cancer are an OI for us. Ask her how she is doing with her opportunistic infection.

Semantics, the devil in us all. ;D

HUGS

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:37:07 am »
Your friend is strange, but I you know what they say about birds of a feather...
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:14:48 pm »
The terms "meds" and "poz" don't bother me in the slightest.

However.

Using the word "clean" to describe one's hiv status or sexual health really pisses me off big time. We see it quite often over in Am I and you can believe me when I say we put them right in no uncertain terms.

I don't really like hearing "clean" used to describe someone who no longer drinks/takes drugs. Just because someone has substance abuse issues doesn't make them dirty.

Ann
(who showers every day)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:51:39 pm »
Your friend is strange, but I you know what they say about birds of a feather...
Dear Miss Philicia, I have never called any member a name or label, in this forum, and you seem to want to call me names or label me as bizarre, every so often, and I would appreciate it if you'd cut it out. What's the point. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:55:53 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:54:29 pm »
Tell your friend we don't take "treatments." People with cancer take treatments, because there is an end to the treatments.
We are on HAART. We take HAART for life, otherwise, we won't have one.
I take meds. I sometimes say, "I have to do my drugs." That usually scares the straights.
Thanks for the perspective! I hadn't thought about the cancer (curable) HIV (for life) aspect. :)
As for the second point, I don't want to scare anyone. You just joking about that?

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:06:17 pm »
I don't really like hearing "clean" used to describe someone who no longer drinks/takes drugs. Just because someone has substance abuse issues doesn't make them dirty.
Ann
(who showers every day)
Hadn't made that extension to substances but thanks its quite good. So one would say, what,
Instead of "he's cleaned up"?

She's no longer an addict?

She's not using anymore  - that sounds kinda icky - "using" "not-using"...

Sober works for me for not drinking. Even "on the wagon"

Is there a noun or adjective for no longer addicted to drugs??

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 01:30:41 pm »
Hadn't made that extension to substances but thanks its quite good. So one would say, what,
Instead of "he's cleaned up"?

She's no longer an addict?

She's not using anymore  - that sounds kinda icky - "using" "not-using"...

Sober works for me for not drinking. Even "on the wagon"

Is there a noun or adjective for no longer addicted to drugs??

Sober works for drugs too. You could also say drug-free. Many refer to themselves as being in recovery.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 02:01:03 pm »
Sober works for drugs too. You could also say drug-free. Many refer to themselves as being in recovery.
OK, sober and drug-free sounds good.  People can use whatever slang or terms they want, of course. To me, "being in recovery" sounds financial or something legal. 

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 04:59:43 pm »
I tend to alternate with what I call my pills.  Sometimes my meds, sometimes my vitamins, sometimes my "power pills."  Of course about half the pills I take aren't HIV meds, I have vitamins, garlic, Crestor, etc., in the pillbox compartment.

But as for how I handled the terminology for just being HIV+, I did do a comic strip some time back on the topic (unabashed plug) at:

http://hivnme.com/hivnme.com/fishingtrip.html

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 06:58:21 pm »
I agree with Mark (aztecan).  I'm Pos, Thom is Neg.  He has a seizure disorder.  We both take our meds or do our drugs.  If I said, "Please excuse me.  I have to take my HAART", my friends would know what the f--- I was talking about.

Just my wooden nickel's worth.

Ric

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 07:54:02 pm »
I've been a paramedic going on 35 years and I know if I called in to the ER for a medicine order or I said I followed the medicine protocol, I would end up getting a drug test when I got to the ER. The proper transmission would be I need a med order and the name of the drug or Med protocol has been followed. So your friend is out of touch with the real world. I hardly ever say I'm positive, I just say I have AIDS and get a laugh at the look on their face. Goes for the ones that say, you don't look like you have AIDS and I reply, I wear makeup.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 01:45:32 am »
We use "meds" all the time, even for non-HIV meds.  Our kids even use it.  Mini has heard us say "poz" and "jr. pozzie", but she refers to her herself as having HIV.  While on occasion, she'll refer to her "poz friends", she usually just says "my guys".

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 04:38:36 am »
I have a friend who is HIV-, and she has a lot of HIV+ friends.  She survived cancer. She shared with me this opinion - saying "meds" for medicine or treatment is tacky. 
"I have to take my meds".
"I'm starting meds."   

She says it good taste to say medicine, or treatment. (I'm taking HIV Treatment. I'm going to change my medicine. My treatment is working very well. etc etc)

Your friend says it's "good taste" to say something a particular way but having good taste is all about proper etiquette.  Etiquette is the art of putting others at easy.  So telling someone not to use an abbreviation or slang simply because she does not like it is rather bad taste.

Now if you find a particular word or phrase offensive i.e. "clean" for HIV- then by all means explain to them why you feel this way. 

For most people saying I'm POZ is simply easier than saying I have been infected by the human immunodeficiency virus.  Using abbreviations is not considered bad taste otherwise Judith Martin would be known Mistress Manners rather than Miss Manners to the world at large.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline komnaes

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 09:09:02 am »
It is easy in Mandarin Chinese.

Whether it's meds, medicine or drugs (except when it refers to narcotic drugs specifically), we can it Yao, pronounce the same as in the name of the basket ball player Yao Ming. You can say "chi yao", which literally translated as "eat" meds, medicine, drugs or pills (though pills can also be referred to as yao wan, in which wan means an eatable round-shaped object).

So next time just say "time to chi yao", "I need to chi yao now", "time to take my yao wan".

Just ask, more free Chinese lessons on offer.. ;)
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline bear60

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 09:27:27 am »
Good taste........... bad taste.....well according to Charlie, Starkist only wants tunas that taste good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_El2_enNFaI&feature=related
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 09:37:46 am »
My partner and I say "vitamins", as in "did you take your vitamins". It is just part of our private vocabulary.

HAPPY VALENTINE's DAY!

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 11:15:36 am »
I personally call them "jelly beans." But I don't normally talk about medication with people, unless that  rudely ask "are you on The Cocktail?"   

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 11:46:35 am »
I personally call them "jelly beans." But I don't normally talk about medication with people, unless that  rudely ask "are you on The Cocktail?"   

oh my dad always tells me cocktail this, cocktail that.. and never forgets to add that i can "be like magic johnson"

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 05:22:23 am »
I am Poz and I take my Meds!!!!
What is wrong with that - why does everyone have to apply bloody political correctness to the world????
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 11:26:25 am »
I am Poz and I take my Meds!!!!
What is wrong with that - why does everyone have to apply bloody political correctness to the world????

BINGO!!
   I agree completely. If, by saying Meds or Poz, it were to somehow be putting someone down, then I could see altering my vocabulary. But it isn't. It's a personal preference.

Your friend says it's "good taste" to say something a particular way but having good taste is all about proper etiquette.  Etiquette is the art of putting others at easy.  So telling someone not to use an abbreviation or slang simply because she does not like it is rather bad taste.

Double BINGO!!

Perhaps if she could come up with an explanantion as to why saying "Meds" is tacky, it would be easier to understand her viewpoint. But as it stands, she just kind of comes off as a being a bit sanctimonious without any reason to be other than personal tastes. Besides, with all the crap we have to go through in life, why complicate it further with totally meaningless BS like this? Having both HIV as well as going through four rounds of cancer, I agree with Mark on the differences between "Meds" and "Treatments" I've been through both, and can only say from my personal experience that the treaments hurt waaaay more than the meds ever have. Just my 2 cents worth. (Which if you think about it is worth about -.02 due to the weak dollar. So I guess I actually owe you money. The check is in the mail ;))

CaptCarl

(modified to add) Back in the bad old days in the eighties a group of us took the cue from a little known HIV rag, and would refer to ourselves as Diseased Pariahs. Does anyone here remember Diseased Pariah Press? It was some pretty funny stuff...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:34:52 am by abqcarl »
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 01:52:59 pm »
She must have an incredibly comfortable and easy life to be so damn uptight about such trivial crap.  I guess that's what happens when you have no worries of your own.

Tell her when she's poz and has to take meds she can have an opinion and what people who are poz and take meds call being poz and taking meds. :)

Offline poz1970

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 05:29:18 pm »
talking about slang etc.... can someone tell me what 'pig play' means?

"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline LTSurviver

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 07:23:32 pm »

Offline InChicagoNow

• Scott Free CDs
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 12:33:10 pm »
She probably wouldn't like it that my friends and I refer to HIV as "The Bug".
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Offline dixieman

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 03:54:20 pm »
people abbreviate especially online... FYI is a good one to point out ask if this offends her?

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 03:08:47 am »
At the end of the day, I think that most people on here are saying "Get a life"
Cheers
Scuddly
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline LTSurviver

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 10:54:49 am »
Cheers
Scuddly

Precisely. :)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 01:31:31 pm »
Cheers
Scuddly

best post of the week! .. if this woman ever says "Oh, James is HIV" or "Yolanda is HIV" etc, then call her out on that! And then comment further that she's not in touch with HIV sensitivities because most poz folks find it offensive to say that a person "is HIV"

Offline 072508

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 09:23:34 pm »
I dont like the word POZ, I like Positive.
I dont like the word MEDS, I like My Pill.
I dont like the word CLEAN- I dont like any specific term for it.

I guess it depends on the individual and how those words effect each person. If they have had a bad experience with once of the words or something. Like "You're not Clean?"

Preferences I guess.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.