Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:17:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 590
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Critters  (Read 9000 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Critters
« on: June 19, 2008, 08:43:58 am »
I'm staying with my mother who lives in a residential neighborhood in Asheville, NC. She was looking out the window and yelled "There is a monster in my herb garden!" The monster turned out to be a large ground hog nibbling away at some oregano. I chased him off and the next day there is a small ground hog running around the garden.

So my stepfather calls a animal control company that sets a trap. The next day we have not a groundhog but a raccoon. Apparently the raccoon lives in a tree in the back yard of the lesbian couple across the street and had three baby. So we let the raccoon go.

We set the trap again and yesterday we got an opossum, who was not to happy about being in a cage. Mom told me she was worried the opossum might be dehydrated and wanted me to put a bowl of water in the cage-- hell no. So the animal control company is going to come today and release the opossum into the woods. The large ground hog remains at large but the small one was killed by the neighbor's dog.

Then my dad, who lives in a fairly busy urban area of Asheville, called this morning to say a big black bear picked up his garbage can, lifted it over his head, threw it on the ground and had breakfast. It's like Wild Kingdom around here.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
Re: Critters
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:37:26 am »
No bears or ground hogs around here but we got the other stuff. A couple of months ago there was a dead baby opossum at the bottom of the pool. Guess he got a bigger drink than he planned.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:06:31 pm »
 Yep , possoms can definitely swim .... just not indefinitely
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »
We have all manner of critters roaming around here.  We've not seen any bears, but we have our share of rabbits, racoons, skunks, possums, foxes, wild turkey, deer (WV cockroaches), snakes, groundhogs, wolves, and chipmunks.

Wendy, we've never found anything that big in my parents' pool, but we're forever fishing out frogs, chipmunks, and snakes.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:31:44 pm »
We have had some scary looking wild pigs roaming around here in the morning lately .
I hear they can be aggressive but so far when I come across them they just run away as I'm running in the other direction .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:38:06 pm »
It's like Wild Kingdom around here.

Ford,

I'd definitely say someone in your family is channeling Marlin Perkins.

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 01:24:35 am »
I haven't seen any bears here yet, but they like living just north of here.

We do get the occasional mountain lion sighting. It depends on the winter and where the food source is to be found.

I do have some of the smaller varmints lurking about though. We have the itinerant squirrel, who likes to live in my wood pile.

Fried squirrel is tasty, but one does not make a meal. It takes more, so I will have to wait.

I have bats. I finally put up a bat house for them, but so far, I think they are still preferring to roost in my chimney.

Of course, we have the usual snakes, rabbits, deer (damn things eat everything under the sun) coyotes and prairie dogs. I am told prairie dogs are tasty, but have yet to try them myself. If they keep multiplying, that may change.

We have lots of different types of birds, including vultures, which make a big mess when they decide where they want to roost. The mocking birds are pretty, but noisy, the robins like to follow me around the garden picking up worms and other tidbits I disturb in my weeding frenzy.

I have a Flicker, a type of woodpecker, that has decided it can hammer its way through my stove pipe. It sounds like a jack hammer going off on the roof when he gets going.

I like my creatures though. I would like to have more snakes on the property. If the mouse population keeps climbing, I think it will.

Ah, the joys of living in a rural area.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 01:31:08 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 02:55:44 am »
Ford, return to civilization at once! Remember the relevant Woody Allen quotes: "Nature and I are two" and "I don't trust air I can't see."  :)
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 07:27:01 am »
Ford, return to civilization at once! Remember the relevant Woody Allen quotes: "Nature and I are two" and "I don't trust air I can't see."  :)

LOL. I thought I was in civilization. My parents both live within the city limits.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 08:22:51 am »
This morning we have another groundhog. This one is small and not the original "monster" groundhog. This could get expensive as it costs $60 every time they release a critter. The housecat was teasing the groundhog by pawing the cage.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 01:05:37 pm »
Maybe ya'll should invest in your own live capture traps and release the suckers yourself.

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 06:27:14 pm »
We have had some scary looking wild pigs roaming around here in the morning lately .
I hear they can be aggressive but so far when I come across them they just run away as I'm running in the other direction .
[/quote]

Hullo , Here in Missouri , IT IS THE LAW TO SHOOT AND KILL ANY WILD PIG ON SITE ANYWHERE IT IS !

I do hope your nieghbors  know how to handle guns !

I love my  deers and possums ,grey foxes , red squirrels , grey squirrels ! many birds  .

and most of all  COONY my Racoon ! 

Coony  follows me around everywhere , as we live on 25 acres in the OZARK Mountains  he we be able to have a wild SEX  life when time comes !

Coony sleeps in the third bathroom we hardly ever use .  It is ZOO-EE  at the moment , thank heavens it is so far away  from the living area !

I have never found the animals  to be fond of POOL water , maybe the stream is enough ?

I hope we never get GROUND HOGS , I would have to have them  BAKED !                                LOL

KARL
" Live and let Live "

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:59:44 am »
shoot the garden creature and get on with life

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 01:01:33 am »
shoot the garden creature and get on with life

LOL! Good advice.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 08:15:39 am »
Speaking of which, did you see my favorite article in the past month from the New York Times?

Peter Rabbit Must Die
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/garden/05animals.html

It's a long article, but worth every word.

One of my favorite lines:

After a season of grueling labor and multiple attempts at benign deterrence, the sight of a trashed garden is often the last straw: the moment when a gentle gardener will suddenly go Rambo.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 10:07:01 am »
We have everything here except the Mt. Lions and Bears in this part of Ohio. It's a wildlife zoo. Deer are our biggest pest.

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 09:26:03 pm »
My mother used to adopt just about any homeless critter around.
When we lived in Detroit about 1978 she had me build a " cat house" because she had found a mother cat and 5 kittens in the garage nextdoor. It was winter.
She would take this big old pot and mix milk and the cheapest cat food she could buy. and cook it on the stove feed the cats and put the rest in the ice box . Then in the morning she would scoop some of the "MIX" in a small pot heat it and feed the cats. (smelled horrible)
I would ask her if she was "sloppin the hogs" :D

In 1994 she was living next to a nasty river just outside of Detroit, and tells me "something is living under my shed" i asked what does it look like? and she told me it was " big and ugly" but it liked carrots and cabbage. ???
She didn't know what the hell it was but she was feeding it ;D
That was my mom the animals best friend, she passed away a year ago this month.
Mom would tell ya'll just to feed the damn critters. :D

( sorry for the hijack)
                                                              Lucas

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 11:12:29 pm »
That was a nice story about your mom, Lucas.

Offline weasel

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 12:23:23 pm »
i BUY  50 pound bags of cheap dog food !

I feed my nice animals every night !

I love to watch the dear  eating my clover field , We planted the area out the living room window  in big BLUE   clover

the Bunnies and the dear love it !

I find if you feed the PETS  , not only are they great to watch , they stay out of the veggie garden cause they got food already !

Murial ,our raccoon deluxe has brought her  three babies  to eat  !

I know wonder why  my  Racoon baby has a CAT  tail ?

anyway  feed them all ,   you eat don't you .

time to weed , Karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 02:46:49 pm »
That was a nice story about your mom, Lucas.
I agree. It was very heart warming.

The only ones I can think of at the moment that I would not want in the yard are mice or rats. Because if you see them in the yard they are likely in your house too.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 09:47:14 pm »
Ford, get a rifle and shoot the ground hog because they are very destructive especially if they get under the house.   I live on 32 acres ,with family, and we have an abundance of wildlife. Deer, possums(very aggressive), foxes, snakes, a pond with turtles, snakes and fish, very large wild pigs, beavers and otters, raccoons, wild dogs, bobcats, birds,squirrels and probably more. As long as they don't bother us or destroy stuff,except the copperheads and water moccasins, we let them live. I like the city, am originally from Greensboro but love it here in the country. Just sit back and enjoy but kill the groundhog and they are not good eating. Best of luck. Cristy

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 10:28:10 pm »
Okay, so we trapped yet another groundhog today. I told mom to please get rid of the trap as we are obviously outnumbered.

I'm lying out by the swimming pool keeping Chester the groundhog company and my mom calls me on the walkie to tell me the gardeners are here. No problem. The gardeners turn out to be two handsome, shirtless, swarthy hunks (yea mom!). I maintained my composure, resisted the urge to gawk and continued my reading. After about thirty minutes the younger comes up and starts telling me about all these bugs on the front lawn. I don't know much about entomology but happen to know they are box elder bugs and explain they they are harmless as sweat drips down his six pack. It was all very Lady Chatterley.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 10:43:40 pm »
 One problem critter in my yard is mole's . They have made tunnels all through my front yard , now they are destroying the side and back yard . Its gotton so you have to be carefull not to trip on all the soft spots .

I looked at mole traps and they just seem so cruel to me , the traps look like little boxes with fish hooks that snag the mole leaving it to starve . I thought maybe they would just eventally leave on there own but it just keeps getting worse ... What to Do ?

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 10:46:05 pm »
I saw smoke bombs at the store. I wonder if they work.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 10:48:27 pm »
I saw smoke bombs at the store. I wonder if they work.

Are they made for Moles ? or ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 10:57:14 pm »
Are they made for Moles ? or ?

I've never dealt with moles before but this may work:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/moles.htm#control
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 10:59:39 pm »
One problem critter in my yard is mole's . They have made tunnels all through my front yard , now they are destroying the side and back yard . Its gotton so you have to be carefull not to trip on all the soft spots .

I looked at mole traps and they just seem so cruel to me , the traps look like little boxes with fish hooks that snag the mole leaving it to starve . I thought maybe they would just eventally leave on there own but it just keeps getting worse ... What to Do ?

Get a cat.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 11:16:19 pm »
Get a cat.

My English bulldog would divorce me  ::)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 09:25:43 am »
I was doing the nasty job of cleaning and organizing the garage yesterday.  I knew that we had mice running about, but never gave it a thought.  Then, I was emptying out a box and a mouse JUMPED out, BOUNCED on my head, and RAN to exactly where I was working.  Yes, I screamed like a girly girl and ran like there was no tomorrow out of the garage, down the driveway, and all the way to the barn, grabbing up kids as I went.  That was it, I was DONE.  I made Hubby go back into the garage and shake down the shelves I was filling to make sure that Mickey had fully vacated the premises. 

Of course that sly devil of a rat hid out behind the boxes until I set back to work.  As soon as Hubby left, and i was feeling safe, that stupid thing ran smack acrossed my foot.  I jumped up, grabbed the machete, perfectly willing to sacrafice a few toes if it meant Mickey was moving on to rat heaven.  The ever crafty Mickey managed to duck and dive, thus saving his neck and my appendages. 

Last night, I set out traps - the unhumane variety - with very tasty treats.  We'll see who has the last laugh when Hubby goes down to check them. (you didn't honestly thing I was going down there, did you?)

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 10:09:54 am »
I was doing the nasty job of cleaning and organizing the garage yesterday.  I knew that we had mice running about, but never gave it a thought.  Then, I was emptying out a box and a mouse JUMPED out, BOUNCED on my head, and RAN to exactly where I was working.  Yes, I screamed like a girly girl and ran like there was no tomorrow out of the garage, down the driveway, and all the way to the barn, grabbing up kids as I went.  That was it, I was DONE.  I made Hubby go back into the garage and shake down the shelves I was filling to make sure that Mickey had fully vacated the premises. 

Of course that sly devil of a rat hid out behind the boxes until I set back to work.  As soon as Hubby left, and i was feeling safe, that stupid thing ran smack acrossed my foot.  I jumped up, grabbed the machete, perfectly willing to sacrafice a few toes if it meant Mickey was moving on to rat heaven.  The ever crafty Mickey managed to duck and dive, thus saving his neck and my appendages. 

Last night, I set out traps - the unhumane variety - with very tasty treats.  We'll see who has the last laugh when Hubby goes down to check them. (you didn't honestly thing I was going down there, did you?)

Mum

;D enough is enough  ;D  err, let's put the machete away now... :D
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 11:07:50 am »
I am SO feeling like the effete urban denatured intellectual this morning!
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 02:46:37 pm »
As soon as Hubby left, and i was feeling safe, that stupid thing ran smack acrossed my foot.  I jumped up, grabbed the machete, perfectly willing to sacrafice a few toes if it meant Mickey was moving on to rat heaven.  The ever crafty Mickey managed to duck and dive, thus saving his neck and my appendages. 

Oh dear lord ! LOL

I had a really nice mental picture of the toes flying. Not pretty.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 06:29:40 pm »
Is anyone else thinking Ratatouille?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.