Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:25:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Regan Hofmann in the NY POST  (Read 38275 times)

Offline manchesteruk

Re: Regan Hofmann in the NY POST
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 03:37:38 pm »
I've never met or spoken to Regan but I must admit her lack of participation in these forums as an editor of POZ doesn't come across well.  HIV doesn't get enough coverage in the press as far as I'm concerned though.  Anything like this that helps to gain more attention and help to break down stigma sounds ok in my view.
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 03:44:12 pm »
This doesn't justify the kinds of personal attacks she's getting from some in this thread. I don't know her personally and I have no stake in her book, financially or otherwise. All I know is that after finding out I had HIV, as I was doing a voluminous amount of research on the topic, I came across a few articles by and about her and I thought, "this is a compassionate, intelligent woman, I'm glad she's doing what she's doing."

I certainly didn't mean anything I said as a 'personal attack' on Regan.   As stated, I do not know her, and to my knowledge, she has never posted in the forums with the exception of a brief introductory post.   And it has been my experience over the last four years that in the forums (and life in general) you reap what you sow.   So it's no wonder that the negative statments outweigh the positive ones, concerning her new book.

I certainly wish her the best of luck, as I said.   She seems to be a very successful woman, and I hope her health continues to hold up and she is able to have a long and productive career.    Careers, hopes and dreams and financial security were robbed from many of us by AIDS, and it is only human to have a little bitterness about it.   I don't think it makes us bad people, just 'well-seasoned'.    A lot of folks have made very successful careers from HIV/AIDS, but I can honestly say that it never really occurred to me to attempt it.

I've said very often that I believe we are all on the same journey with HIV.   It's just that the world of HIV has expanded so much; so many new "faces" of AIDS, and in so many segments of the population.   Nothing is clearly defined.   It makes all of our journeys quite different.  Regan is traveling on a throughbred;  I feel as if I am stumbling along on an old tired mule.   LOL   It certainly does not make her a bad person.

Alan
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:47:27 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2009, 03:57:17 pm »

What does the "face" of AIDS look like these days anyways?  I always thought it was a nondiscriminatory type thing.  Isn't it one of those equal opportunity type diseases where we can all get it whether we are: rich or poor, black or white, pretty or ugly?

I always figured POZ magazine to have mainly a readership of positive folk. Why does it need to try and shatter any stigma?  Why does POZ need to make us aware of those struggling with ADAP?  It's readers are well aware of this already.

Sorry to say that many HIV positive people and those concerned about HIV who read Poz may NOT know about ADAP, the impact of TrOOP, ETHA, the Treatment Modernization Act, the new guidelines  from CDC, the challenges faced by advocacy groups and the specific issues they are working on.  That is exactly WHY we need our trades like Poz to be a conduit for such information

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2009, 04:06:32 pm »
 Sorry to say that many HIV positive people and those concerned about HIV who read Poz may NOT know about ADAP, the impact of TrOOP, ETHA, the Treatment Modernization Act, the new guidelines  from CDC, the challenges faced by advocacy groups and the specific issues they are working on.  That is exactly WHY we need our trades like Poz to be a conduit for such information

Did you learn this from reading a magazine full of advertisements?  No I don't think so Marco and to tell the truth not one of us have.  We may have learned some of these issues after setting the copy down in the lobby after our name was called to come to the back so our doctor could tell us our numbers have crashed and we need to start taking medicine, but I doubt we learned it from some glossy publication.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 04:12:54 pm »
 A lot of folks have made very successful careers from HIV/AIDS, but I can honestly say that it never really occurred to me to attempt it.

The great majority of people who have made "careers" out of HIV/AIDS are not HIV+ themselves. I think Martin Delaney wrote about this. Most of the individuals involved with most of the ASOs and HIV charities are not poz (such as at AMFAR and other big HIV charities; I wonder what percentage of the staff at POZ is actually poz? Anyone know?)

What that says I don't know. That our HIV-negative brothers and sisters have stepped up to the plate in order to help those who are/were not able to? Or that they are being opportunistic (like an opportunistic infection) and reaping rewards on the backs of the many who've suffered and some who still do suffer? I guess that all depends on whether one sees the glass as half empty or half full.

For her detractors: at least Ms. Hofmann is poz herself.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:19:20 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 04:30:12 pm »

POZ started long before the age of the Internet and I suspect, even though I did not read it at the time, that back then it was more of an information source for the very latest about HIV/AIDS. In this day and age the internet has become the medium of choice for anyone wanting to learn what's out there. Even the best newspapers are consistently scooped by the speed of online publishing.

Granted there are probably many people who can't afford computers or online access but I think one can go to any public library and be able to get online.

I just Googled "HIV medications free" and plenty of things came up with helpful information for anyone needing to know how to access HIV meds. With just a little digging, anyone doing such a search would find ADAP and ETHA and TrOOP, etc.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:31 pm »
For her detractors: at least Ms. Hofmann is poz herself.

Should be enough right there.....  Even if she won't dred her hair!

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2009, 07:15:35 pm »

Did you learn this from reading a magazine full of advertisements?  No I don't think so Marco and to tell the truth not one of us have.  We may have learned some of these issues after setting the copy down in the lobby after our name was called to come to the back so our doctor could tell us our numbers have crashed and we need to start taking medicine, but I doubt we learned it from some glossy publication.

Yep--actually I DID learn these things from Poz.  I learned from the writers I commented on previously as well as Martin Delaney, Mike Shriver, Cleve Jones, Gil Kudrin and others.  Since you bring up the wonderful access provided the world wide web, perhaps checking the back issues of Poz will show you what I'm talking about.  Yes this was previous to the plethora of glossy ads of pozzies climbing cliffs.

We learned about treatments, communication with doctors, side effects and even how to claim our sexual lives back.  Am I the only one who remembers Tony Valenzuela on horseback or Stephin Gendin and his partner Hush painfully and honestly talking about sexual risk?

To suggest that because Poz is now somehow more glossy or trendy somehow equates to more frivolous content and there by dismisses the idea that it can carry important HIV related material is beyond cynical.

It is also WAY beyond the point I was making about having a continuum of voices echo which reflect our combined experiences.  My point was and still is, Ms Hoffman is a great representative of her own views, but she is hardly the single voice of all PWAs.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2009, 07:25:55 pm »
P.S.
This forum is pretty cool as toward that end.  Not too many here really argue there is a preferred voice / face for HIV+/AIDS. 
This is an interesting conversation, sparked by this person Hofmann's identity.

You know, there are plenty of people, maybe even in Detroit, who are HIV+, go to work, see their doctors easily enough, are not so poor, and live normal-ish lives - when or if they are not being discrimminated against for being HIV+.
I know this doesn't represent the experience in the history of the epidemic, but sorry, it's part of the HIV+ "experience" today in 2009.  You know, all over Europe for instance, the medical care part of the experience isn't so terribly precarious and difficult as many other places in the world.

AIDSMEDS did a reader survey last year and the results seemed to surprise a lot of folks then.  Summarizing the summary that Tim Horn put up:

From 1,500 responses about 83 % were people living with HIV/AIDS with a variety of diagnosis dates ranging from 1 % diagnosed with HIV (most likely AIDS) since 1981 or longer, to 5.6 % diagnosed in 2006 -- 19 % female, 26 % heterosexual -- 66 % gay/lesbian and an average age of 47.

Three quarters were white; 11 % black/AA and 9 % Hispanic/Latino.  45 % employed full-time; 29 % unemployed and on disability.  48 % had a Bachelor's degree or higher; 35 % have had some college; 12 % graduated high school and 4 % completed some high school. 21 % made less than $15,000 a year; 13 % made more than $100,000 a year.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=18738.msg263959#msg263959
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »
 My point was and still is, Ms Hoffman is a great representative of her own views, but she is hardly the single voice of all PWAs.

And are you Marco?  Weren't you in here last week just complaining that this site was not friendly to us straights?  I think it's funny how we can voice our displeasures on things and such, but then we become guilty of exactly what we blame others for....  

Oh and it wasn't me who said you should have gotten your info from the web...  or that you could have for that matter.  I must say I'm sorry that Poz mag has been your only source for info, you might want to buy the book Regan is releasing.  It should be a plethora of information for people like yourself.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2009, 07:40:37 pm »
 And are you Marco?  Weren't you in here last week just complaining that this site was not friendly to us straights?  I think it's funny how we can voice our displeasures on things and such, but then we become guilty of exactly what we blame others for....  

Oh and it wasn't me who said you should have gotten your info from the web...  or that you could have for that matter.  I must say I'm sorry that Poz mag has been your only source for info, you might want to buy the book Regan is releasing.  It should be a plethora of information for people like yourself.

First off, I've debated this issues without personal assaults.  I've made intellectual points without ad homonym attacks.  I said I respected Ms. Hoffman.  I never said I was THE voice either.  What I said was that no ONE single voice is.  I also never said that Poz was my only source of information, but if you really must know, it was one of the few places one could find when I was newly diagnosed that provided salient information about how to live with HIV.

Now, I'll ask you nicely to pull back a bit from your personalization of this discussion.  Your bringing up a topic from another forum is also completely non related and could be construed as an ad homonym stance instead of discussing the point at hand.

Great you like Ms. Hoffman.  I do too.  I'm just a bit tired of hearing her view so loudly.  Sorry you don't like that, but on these forums it would be nice if you discussed your contrary points without becoming personal about things.  If you can't perhaps you should try taking a breath and waiting a minute before you post.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2009, 07:43:07 pm »
Poz has had a long history of being egocentric to the voice of the publisher and main writers--it is their perogative, but it is also very boring and only tells the tale from one point of view.  HIV does not soley exist in Manhattan or LA--the rest of us in between need to have a consistent voice that speaks to and from our reality.  Ms. Hoffman is not equipped to do this.

I agree with Skeebo.  And I have to say, I think your complaints are kind of ridiculous. I just clicked on the Poz.com main page and what did I see?  An African-American man as the main image for piece #1, yes Regan on horseback in one story, a (black) South African woman and baby and an older African-American woman as the featured video.  If they were all wearing Ralph Lauren galloping on horseback down the polo field, well then I might think your argument actually carries some weight.  It does not.

You're right, HIV doesn't exist in Manhattan or LA but Poz is a small and most likely a severely underfunded magazine. It most likely doesn't have the economic wherewithall to diddle around the country looking for quotes and story ideas - especially now given the fact that most magazines have lost over 25% of their advertising support due to the recession.

So why not drop the pocketbook envy and, if you're so concerned about Ms. Regan eclipsing your voice, why not volunteer to write for Poz or create your own outlet to tell your story?  

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2009, 07:47:11 pm »
I agree with Skeebo.  And I have to say, I think your complaints are kind of ridiculous. I just clicked on the Poz.com main page and what did I see?  An African-American man as the main image for piece #1, yes Regan on horseback in one story, a (black) South African woman and baby and an older African-American woman as the featured video.  If they were all wearing Ralph Lauren galloping on horseback down the polo field, well then I might think your argument actually carries some weight.  It does not.

You're right, HIV doesn't exist in Manhattan or LA but Poz is a small and most likely a severely underfunded magazine. It most likely doesn't have the economic wherewithall to diddle around the country looking for quotes and story ideas - especially now given the fact that most magazines have lost over 25% of their advertising support due to the recession.

So why not drop the pocketbook envy and, if you're so concerned about Ms. Regan eclipsing your voice, why not volunteer to write for Poz or create your own outlet to tell your story?  

Again--not MY voice I'm advocating for--my points have been about hearing a DIVERSE voice that I thought, especially recently have been overshadowed by Ms. Hoffman's.  Not checkbook envy--just a call for more diversity.  I've written, recorded and presented my story and started advocacy organizations.  Not about me--its about us.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2009, 07:52:20 pm »
Three quarters were white; 11 % black/AA and 9 % Hispanic/Latino.  45 % employed full-time; 29 % unemployed and on disability.  48 % had a Bachelor's degree or higher; 35 % have had some college; 12 % graduated high school and 4 % completed some high school. 21 % made less than $15,000 a year; 13 % made more than $100,000 a year.
Assurbanipal, thanks, this is great info.  But lets keep in mind that this is a self-selected group of AIDSMEDS readers that volunteered to take the survey.  As such, this group's demographic profile is very different from the U.S.' profile of people with HIV/AIDS, which is:

30% white (vs 75% for AIDSMEDS survey)
49% African-American (vs 11% for AIDSMEDS survey)
18% Hispanic (vs 9% for AIDSMEDS survey)
              all other ethnic groups are 1% or lower

Source: http://www.thebody.com/content/art46523.html

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2009, 08:02:59 pm »
  Not about me--its about us.

And no matter how differently she was raised or lives now, Regum Hasslehoff is one  of us.  Just has wasted hair is all.... Personally I can't judge one thing about her and I won't.  Hell I'm still trying to figure out how I am so perfect without living my life so perfect or even striving to be a perfectionist for that matter.  I ain't got no room to judge anyone...  I can assume stuff, but what good is that?

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2009, 09:12:23 pm »
I certainly hope Regum Hasslehoff (crumps, I'm giggling so hard I can hardly stay on the keys) has a good sense of humorhoff. I'm surprised you (Skeebo) did not use Raygun Offman...but hey, I'm giggling, so the first one is great particularly with so much Sir David Hasselhoff on the air these days and months.

I am compelled to respond in defense of what I think was a misunderstood line in one of Marco's posts. This is one of those times when I wish e-mails and the like were narrated with the inflection of the writer. The line I am defending is "My point was and still is, Ms Hoffman is a great representative of her own views, but she is hardly the single voice of all PWAs."

He wasn't saying he should be the voice or was a better voice, but somehow it seemed to come across that way. I think we all speed read at times (jeez, I hope I'm not doing that right now) but he was saying she's not the only voice, she's one voice and just one voice of PWA.

We need all of our very different voices and writing skills, no matter the issue at hand. We need such diversity in order to make many calls to legislators and to write letters, articles, blog entries and checks if we can become members of advocacy groups. We need voices to represent our views on radio and on tv programs and documentaries.

Regan's book is but one wrecking ball and one of a variety she uses. Peter's initiation of aidsmeds.com was the creation of a wrecking ball and his blog another. Find your wrecking ball and swing it until you smash into something that is holding you and/or us back with regard to HIV.

I'm happy for Regan that she completed her book, however, having a smidge of marketing in my blood (thankfully stronger than the virus that lies within it), I urge her and Simon & Booster to get out there to the Sarah Palins and not-so-fun-damentalists of the world with this literary wreckin' ball book.

Get out to the high schoolers, the college kids, the over-fifties who are quite literally screwing up their retirement years thinking they're too old, too dry, too smart or simply above getting such a wretched virus.

Well, I just got a phone call and must dash off.  Hope this post makes sense.

I left off in mid-sentence above and added what I meant to write above.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:29:50 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2009, 09:29:22 pm »
Assurbanipal, thanks, this is great info.  But lets keep in mind that this is a self-selected group of AIDSMEDS readers that volunteered to take the survey.  As such, this group's demographic profile is very different from the U.S.' profile of people with HIV/AIDS, which is:

30% white (vs 75% for AIDSMEDS survey)
49% African-American (vs 11% for AIDSMEDS survey)
18% Hispanic (vs 9% for AIDSMEDS survey)
              all other ethnic groups are 1% or lower

Source: http://www.thebody.com/content/art46523.html

I think we both agree that AIDS has a diverse face.  I'd also agree that the AIDSMEDS survey is self selected and not fully representative of the US. (About 12 % were international too) But mainly I wanted to provide some data to support the point that Mecch made.  And the AIDSMEDs survey includes some helpful data that CDC does not have about diversity of income and employment.  

As Marco and Mecch have been pointing out there is no one face of the epidemic. Regan Hofman represents more people than one may at first think if one only reads frequent posters on these forums.  It's really a lot like the side effects issues -- people that are having a problem speak up and those that are not having problems don't tend to bring it up as much, so the feeling from reading the forums is skewed compared to the economic diversity that is actually out there.  In fact, if you read the survey thread, you will see people expressing their surprise about how diverse the income results were.

Just as a technical note, the data you picked up was only for 2006 diagnoses.  If you look at cumulative data on the CDC site you get a different picture and data on all those currently living with HIV are likely closer to the cumulative data.  That cumulative data would give percentages for racial incidence rates about 10% closer to the data Tim Horn got on the AIDSMEDS survey from readers. So the AIDSMEDS survey data is not representative of the full US, but closer than it perhaps at first looked. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/reports/2008supp_vol13no1/table6.htm
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2009, 10:13:06 pm »

As always great points Em.  Hey I totally respect everyone's opinion here and I really do mean that.  Marco's point was carefully read and regarding it I must ask, if it were my story would it be viewed any differently?  What about Marco's story... or yours Em..  better yet one of the longtimers like Joe Killfoile, or Moffie's?

I think what makes Regan's story a part of everyone's is that each of us has a very different story with much the same premise when it comes to how we dealt, were affected, and lived with this virus.  While some of our economic backgrounds are similar we all are well aware that the affluent can be affected by this disease as easily as the poor can.  This disease can put a person on disability in one year and not affect the next person their entire life.  It is as much a person's fault as a person's eye color.

Until Tim Horn comes in here and says Rees steps on his toes with spiked hills, I ain't got nothing against her.  I think all of us would love the chance to earn an extra buck these days.  I sure as hell wouldn't turn down a book deal.  Man I would be able to put all three of my little girls through college with no worries....

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:38 am »
First off, I've debated this issues without personal assaults.  I've made intellectual points without ad homonym attacks.  I said I respected Ms. Hoffman.  I never said I was THE voice either.  What I said was that no ONE single voice is.  I also never said that Poz was my only source of information, but if you really must know, it was one of the few places one could find when I was newly diagnosed that provided salient information about how to live with HIV.

Now, I'll ask you nicely to pull back a bit from your personalization of this discussion.  Your bringing up a topic from another forum is also completely non related and could be construed as an ad homonym stance instead of discussing the point at hand.

Great you like Ms. Hoffman.  I do too.  I'm just a bit tired of hearing her view so loudly.  Sorry you don't like that, but on these forums it would be nice if you discussed your contrary points without becoming personal about things.  If you can't perhaps you should try taking a breath and waiting a minute before you post.

Somehow I missed this post.  Marco you are absolutely right and I sincerely apologize to you.  I was way out of bounds and should have never gone there. 

I am truly sorry...  We can agree to disagree on some things and I should respectfully remember that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2009, 05:54:06 am »
I wonder if Ms. Hoffman is going to donate a portion of the sales to an ASO who's struggling, or some other worthy cause.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2009, 07:26:16 am »
  Somehow I missed this post.  Marco you are absolutely right and I sincerely apologize to you.  I was way out of bounds and should have never gone there. 

I am truly sorry...  We can agree to disagree on some things and I should respectfully remember that.

Its all good Skeebo  ;D  A passionate discussion of issues is a cool thing!  During this thread I've learned a bit and it has made me think more objectively--because of your input.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2009, 07:56:32 am »
I wonder if Ms. Hoffman is going to donate a portion of the sales to an ASO who's struggling, or some other worthy cause.

Or who knows she may use it to fly first class, you know when she speaks at one of those AIDS conventions where she speaks out about something or another like AIDS awareness..  Perhaps this is just a ploy though, ya know to push the sales of her book...  It was all an evil plot since she started all this stuff 4 years ago..  yeah the president better watch this girl, I hear she has weapons of mass destruction in her back yard.

I came to this conclusion simply because Mrs Hoffman won't frequent the forums BTW.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2009, 09:52:45 am »
Are we not viewed by too many as potential weapons of mass destruction? I propose we become beacons of mass instruction!!!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2009, 03:21:42 pm »
A passionate discussion of issues is a cool thing!  During this thread I've learned a bit and it has made me think more objectively--because of your input.

Yeah, as long as there's more besides passive-aggresive statements. (not saying it's you Marco)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2009, 08:59:27 pm »
Yeah, as long as there's more besides passive-aggresive statements. (not saying it's you Marco)

No problem--I KNOW it wasn't me.  I didn't think I said anything passively  ;)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2009, 09:58:55 pm »

No problem--I KNOW it wasn't me.  I didn't think I said anything passively  ;)

Well she sure ain't talkin bout me either.  I never said a word...  I typed all my statements, didn't even proof read it!

Offline the trebmeister

• Fame is fleeting ... obscurity is forever.
    • daddy, you bastard
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2009, 10:28:18 pm »
excuse me if i pee in ms. hofmann's cheerios but...

my copy of Poz arrived yesterday so it immediately went to the current reading shelf (in the bathroom next to the t.p.).  last night i had enough time (15 or 16 seconds) to read the excerpt from her book.  my reaction was "wtf?"  as well as "who gives a *&^%&^%?"

she tells her prep-school-friend-cum-NYT-reporter thats AIDS is not just a disease of homos and other less-than-humans in 200?  after she's taken the job as editor of Poz?  once more, excuse me, but BFD! 

i live in louisiana, one of 2 - 3 states always vying for the lead in illiteracy, teen pregnancy, and just plain old stupidity -- i've been openly poz since 1991 and remain so today.  ms hofmann has worked with supposedly intelligent, well-informed people for years but couldn't dare to reveal her secret until she'd accepted a job with Poz?  methinks something stinks.   

while it's undeniably true ms. hofmann, and even aidmeds beloved founder, petie-poo staley, grew up and live in upper-class, very upper crust society i find it hard to believe she had to hide her HIV status so long.  after all she is one of the "innocent" "victims" like the character in that god-awful pic "Philadelphia" (OK, i admit it, except for the maria callas opera crap near the end [which always makes me squirm uncomfortably] 1 or 2 tears are exuded from my tear ducts even today -- the scene with the younger brother breaking down and joanne woodward's maternal intimacy with each of her sons, the dying and not-dying, is good for at least 1.5 tears), a movie made in 1993 for a straight audience by a well-meaning and sincere jonathan demme (although i draw the line at his remake of the manchurian candidate...).  her infection wasn't part of god's lesson to gays so by default she is innocent, and if she was infected by a bisexual or closeted gay man she's even MORE innocent, but i'm straying wildly par usual.

are the profits from her book going to a good cause?  if so i hope the book does well but find it almost incredible today's readers will be so amazed or shocked by her story.   as it happens i was working in the govdocs department of a library when the june 5, 1981 morbidity and mortality weekly report was issued.  from that day on i've kept track of the epidemic, from a small cluster of los angeles gay men to the rest of the world.  i worked at a local Catholic university and came out as gay and HIV+ in the school newspaper op ed column on 2 separate occasions but never feared or experienced backlashes from my admissions.  one of the oldest and most conservative priests made a point of coming into my office in 1995 after the HIV piece was published to commend me for my "bravery" but like i told father bienvenu (yes, that WAS his real name) i disclosed because it was the right thing to do regardless of potential consequences.

oh, crap... i would never compare myself to ms. hofmann and know it is unfair to judge anyone without full knowledge of his/her circumstances but, again, i'm amused/bemused that she could come out as HIV+ only after she became editor of Poz. 

i'll retract all negative comments if the book's proceeds are going to a good cause, even if it isn't HIV -- hell,  many of us in living in the post-Katrina-apocalypse could make good use of grants and outright gifts.
Your friends may say that I’m a stranger
My face they’ll never see no more
There is but one promise that’s given
I’ll sail on God’s golden shore

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2009, 04:57:41 am »
In Switzerland, in the French speaking part, one of the highest rates of HIV+ infection among gay men in Europe, and very few people disclose.  There is little if any gay prejudice, there is gay partnership, there are laws against discrimination in the workplace. There is health care and nobody would think about complaining about the cost of treating Pozzies.  So, why the silence, now, 2009?
Hofmann may live in the USA but in her social and professional circles before working POZ, perhaps being HIV+ was best left unsaid. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 10:04:15 am »
Hi Gang:

Well, this has certainly been a very interesting thread to follow.

I’d like to chime in with a few thoughts of my own. While Regan is aware of this thread and we’ve discussed it, I wanted to speak a little of my personal observations.

To be clear, I do not work for Regan and have not been asked to say anything in her defense. That said, I’ve worked closely with Regan – and the POZ staff – for almost three years and, in turn, have a different perspective.

I can’t speak to why Regan wrote this memoir, explain why she does not participate in the Forums or address the grievances expressed here regarding POZ’s editorial content – I’ll leave these important questions for her (with the hope that she will participate in this thread at some point).

I will say that “I Have Something to Tell You” doesn’t readily speak to my experiences as a person living with HIV. In some ways, I had it harder… in others, I had it much easier. But there are common threads in Regan’s memoir that I appreciate. It’s certainly interesting, at least for me, to find validation in knowing that others take similar routes to overcome certain obstacles, while also finding amusement (and sometimes disappointment) in reading that some people take remarkably different approaches. Then there are the “girl, you have no friggin’ idea” thoughts I had while reading. In fact, there were plenty of these. But I don’t really see these “criticisms,” for want of a better word, requiring scorn of the author, but rather an opportunity to better understand of my own experiences, perceptions, fears and understanding of this so-called HIV community.

As for Regan’s socioeconomic status and how this plays out among POZ’s readership and the much larger HIV community, I can’t really say. But I do know that, since Regan took over as editor-in-chief of POZ, this place now receives a *huge* amount of mail from HIV-positive women – many women of color, many of whom are poor and a great number of whom are incarcerated – who have found strength, determination and inspiration in Regan. I’ve never known Regan to claim to speak on behalf of all women living with HIV, but the fact remains that a large number of HIV-positive women have been touched (even just a little bit) by Regan’s voice.

I also give Regan a tremendous amount of credit for launching herself into the fray of national HIV/AIDS advocacy. A lot of the “key opinion leaders,” especially those working on a national level, are gay men who have been working in HIV/AIDS for decades. I think this is essential and am glad to know that we still have many veterans working very hard in this regard. At the same time, it’s not the easiest world for a “newbie” to penetrate, especially when there truly is a lot to learn while at the same time bringing new ideas to the table. Regan hasn’t been afraid to make mistakes – and, yes, she’s made them – and, as far as I’m concerned, we need more people like this entering the world of advocacy if we’re to keep HIV/AIDS on the map as what it truly is: a crisis.

Regan and I have our disagreements and often go about our work differently. But even if I learn just one thing from her in our work together – and in reading her memoir – that, to me, is a relationship worth having.

Cheers,
Tim Horn
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:08:06 am by Tim Horn »

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2009, 01:54:23 pm »
It would be very nice for Regan and others who are 'penetrating' into advocacy efforts to bring along the 'rabble'.  How do 'regular' PWAs get this kind of access if not by those who open the doors, letting us in also?

Again--just so I'm clear.  I respect her.  I respect that she is an 'out' PWA.  I respect that she has decided to bring her $$ and influence to Poz.  My issue is that I'm afraid we are in the making of a cult-of-personality AIDS Diva if we only hear ONE voice too often and too loudly.  It would be the case no matter who was the lone voice.

I respect that she may be encouraging women to get tested and encouraging HIV positive women to become more proactive in their care.  However, I live in a state where more than 75% of all HIV cases are amoung men.  Women have only just recently made up 20% of all cases.  Where I live HIV can be equated to lets say, breast cancer.  Some men get breast cancer but to have the loudest, most vocal voice be representative of men would be ridiculous, right?  We have more programs for women then we do for men who have sex with men--and that's just wrong.  And I'm a straight guy bringing this point up.  See this is an example of an issue on the 'ground' that might not make it through the bright lights of the big city.

I'm calling for a more diverse voice of PWAs.  I'm calling TO PWAs for this voice.  I'm NOT calling for MY voice, but I think that not living in NYC or California has showed me that we have many stories, from many places from so many wonderfully diverse individuals.

Maybe because I've had HIV for 18 years and have been a Poz reader for most of that time, that maybe...I feel a bit of unearned 'ownership' of its content.  I'm sorry for that.  But it does speak to the impact that Poz has made to people like me dealing with HIV before all the other mags and internet.

My point is not to trash Regan--but to lift up a more diverse reflection of those living with HIV.  I'm sorry if this offends anyone or has appeared to be a trashing of another PWA.  I did not mean to offend.  I will continue to say and think that Poz can do much more to represent and support a more diverse continuum of PWAs.

-Marco
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:19:43 pm by MarcoPoz »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2009, 02:21:10 pm »
It's different everywhere.  I live not far from where Ms. Hofmann lives (Princeton is about halfway in between NYC and Philadelphia) at here in Philly our HIV rate is five times the national rate, and half of new infections are heterosexual.  Only a third are with gay men.  We can all bitch and moan about this cover story, but the fact is still that demographics aren't what they were just 10 years ago, and it's wildly different from area to area in the US.  Still, line up the stretch of the US in between DC and Boston (i.e. including Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia, NYC, Hartford/Providence) and that still makes up a wildly disproportionate amount of all US cases of HIV.  That's just a stretch of 400 miles too, but with a total population about the same as the UK.  I could go on about how this entire area has a huge African-American and Latino population, and that's exactly the demographic that is exploding (both gay and straight).  If anything, the cover would have been better represented by a poor black or latina woman.  But whatever, I'll assume they've had something like that on a POZ cover.  I do get issues delivered at home, but frankly I've not sat down and made a spreadsheet on this topic to make sure everyone is represented and happy. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2009, 02:32:28 pm »

Marco,

I don't get you....  So let me get this straight...   so now we are "in the making of a cult-of-personality AIDS Diva".  Diversity?  Think about it Marco...  She is one of the people that makes this great world of HIV/AIDS so diverse!  

I also think Mrs Hoffman is not the lone voice for all PWA's and Marco, I may be going out on a limb here, but I think everyone realizes she is not the lone voice for us all.....  including ole Reba herself.

When all the dollars and what ever else drives people to jealousy is over looked, the horse lover will become nothing more than just another drop in the bucket.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2009, 02:44:29 pm »
Skeebo,

What I'm saying is that we run the risk of losing our diverse voice if anyone's story is louder than the next PWA's.  Yes--creating Divas is never a good thing.

Look above at the posts from the PWAs in Lousiana and Philly--see 2 great examples of the diversity of our experience.  My whole point is that I'd like to see more of these stories in Poz and less about Regan's world--she still has a place--it just should be along the continuum with all the other stories.  Skeebo--I'd like to pick up Poz one day and read your story in there--and use it in my groups with those who I know it would connect with--so they don't feel like they are living through this alone.  Each one of our stories has that opportunity.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2009, 03:05:10 pm »

Marco,

Well hopefully the "diva" can get some of her horsey lover friends to submit for HIV testing.  I know...  I know, they only make up .0000000823% of the world's population, but hey it would be a start.

We can all write our own books, share our own stories, whatever...  in the end everyone has their own story to tell regardless of how much of an ass we are or our economic upbringing.

I won't buy the book, however my wife probably will...  she's one of those educated people with a masters in engineering and I think she likes horses too.......   I think I need to divorce this black diva immediately.  Then again my wife crushes all kinds of stereotypes.  Found out she was infected by her first boyfriend at 17.  African American woman who still pushed herself through college while being told she had Hodgkin's Lymphoma and something else I can't remember....  yeah I would like for her to share her story in print on what it is like living with this disease for 13 years.  She's not the "face", however she does have a story to tell and that story is no better than anyone else's, just different is all...

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:28 pm »
It would be very nice for Regan and others who are 'penetrating' into advocacy efforts to bring along the 'rabble'.  How do 'regular' PWAs get this kind of access if not by those who open the doors, letting us in also?

I don't ever remember there being a time in which those  looking to be involved in advocacy simply waited for others to "open the doors." If you do want to be involved in advocacy efforts, then make it happen for yourself. Join the AIDS Treatment Activist Coalition. Become a member of a local Ryan White Planning Council.  Patch in to the Campaign to End AIDS.  Connect with the Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP).  Participate in AIDS Watch.

These -- and many more initiatives -- are terrific gateways for ANYONE hoping to become an advocate, whether help with local initiatives or sights on becoming a leading national player. These have all been written about in the pages of POZ and highlighted repeatedly. What separates advocates from the "rabble" and the "regular" isn't a position as editor-in-chief of POZ -- mind you, POZ's last two EICs weren't much involved in any advocacy efforts -- but personal determination.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:17:29 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2009, 03:09:42 pm »
I've always been struck by how incredibly diverse Poz is.  I see many voices and learn about the struggles we all go through, despite coming from very different backgrounds.  

I was surprised at some of the comments about Regan.  I wish we treated each other with a bit more respect and understanding.  It's not easy coming out, especially on a national scale.  If nothing else, Regan has my admiration for that.  

Her background, income status and whether or not she posts in the forums is of no concern to me.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »

Her background, income status and whether or not she posts in the forums is of no concern to me.

Exactly, especially about posting on these forums.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »
I don't ever remember there being a time in which those  looking to be involved in advocacy simply waited for others to "open the doors." If you do want to be involved in advocacy efforts, then make it happen for yourself. Join the AIDS Treatment Activist Coalition. Become a member of a local Ryan White Planning Council.  Patch in to the Campaign to End AIDS.  Connect with the Community HIV/AIDS Mobilization Project (CHAMP).  Participate in AIDS Watch.

These -- and many more initiatives -- are terrific gateways for ANYONE hoping to become an advocate, whether help with local initiatives or sights on becoming a leading national player. These have all been written about in the pages of POZ and highlighted repeatedly. What separates advocates from the "rabble" and the "regular" isn't a position as editor-in-chief of POZ -- mind you, POZ's last two EICs weren't much involved in any advocacy efforts -- but personal determination.  

I'm actually a member and contributing member to the groups you listed as well as FAPP and other groups.  I'm sure others here are as well.  I was asking about the "key opinion leaders" you brought up and how they can assist the average PWA into getting access to policy makers.  You're right--Poz has written about many of these groups and activities--now, can Poz help to finance 'regular' and 'average' PWAs who aren't in the NYC-DC loop to be part of this advocacy?

That's what I meant by 'opening doors".  And before the obvious rebuttal hits--yes I've done this type of advocacy--yes I've paid for it out of my own pocket--yes I've helped pay for others to attend advocacy activities.

So how about a "Regan brings the average Jane/Joe Pozitive to DC day"? (and No--not for me) Sounds like a good use of book money to me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:28:45 pm by MarcoPoz »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2009, 03:41:23 pm »

So how about a "Regan brings the average Jane/Joe Pozitive to DC day"? (and No--not for me) Sounds like a good use of book money to me.

LMAO....  She has high co-pays too!  I hope she uses it to buy a Palomino.  I hate the shits personally....  I was bucked off  by one when I was twelve and then the four legged beast bit my leg while I was on the ground.

I'm with Philly and Cliff on this, I have no qualm about her not posting in the forums.  Her blogs are plenty enough.....   Marco, have you ever read her blogs.  She seems like a pretty busy woman....  I mean she could be lying and all, but she's got to pay for them plane tickets somehow. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2009, 04:05:03 pm »
I laugh at this "average Joe Poz" bs being people outside of DC and/or NYC -- I guess by extension the entire northeast corridor? 

Facts are pesky things, but let's consider the following:

source

District of Columbia by far has the highest incidence of HIV cases per 100,000 population: 148.1

New York:  24.9

Michigan:  6.2

You know, there's a REASON that there are more stories on people from certain areas.  The numbers in my link do not lie.  I'm not saying don't do stories on pozzies living in Nebraska, but have a little perspective here.  As bad as an elitist attitude can be, the "anti-elitist" reaction is equally tired.  We get enough of this every four years during a presidential election where there's this insane notion that the corn farmer in Iowa's political views are shown more on TV than a black woman's in Newark (or any urban area) even though by far there are more urban/suburban dwellers in the US than rural ones.

Offline the trebmeister

• Fame is fleeting ... obscurity is forever.
    • daddy, you bastard
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2009, 04:18:18 pm »
...boring

oh, sorry, i thought this was the one word that best describes the state of AIDS among Poz editors thread.
Your friends may say that I’m a stranger
My face they’ll never see no more
There is but one promise that’s given
I’ll sail on God’s golden shore

Offline veritas

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2009, 04:50:57 pm »

This thread reads almost like "A Tale of Two Cities".

I think almost everybody has at least read or heard about the first paragraph of the book --- Here:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way. . . .

Notice that this line hints at the tension between love and family on the one hand and oppression and hatred on the other. How does this fit relative to the discussion about Ms. Regan? First, I don't know Ms.Regan and have not read her book. I know she is HIV+ and evidently wealthy. She is also an editor of POZ with a recent cover spread.
 Ms. Regan has kept her status private for a long time. Haven't many of us kept our status private for a long time before we summoned the courage to face it and deal with it in a positive manner. We had to learn about the disease and learn how to cope with it in our own time frame. Shouldn't Ms regan be given that pass. It's not what she has done in the past that really counts anymore, it's what she does from here on  and as an editor of POZ. If she can raise  awareness by way of her celeb and a member of the HIV community ----- that's good.
The onus is on her to perform , so lets not guillotine her before she starts. She knows the community will be watching. It's amazing what contacting this disease will do and how it changes one's perspective. I wish her well !

v

ps: Inch I bet you didn't think a simple post would cause this.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2009, 05:00:06 pm »
I laugh at this "average Joe Poz" bs being people outside of DC and/or NYC -- I guess by extension the entire northeast corridor? 

source

District of Columbia by far has the highest incidence of HIV cases per 100,000 population: 148.1

You know, there's a REASON that there are more stories on people from certain areas.  The numbers in my link do not lie.  I'm not saying don't do stories on pozzies living in Nebraska, but have a little perspective here.  As bad as an elitist attitude can be, the "anti-elitist" reaction is equally tired.  We get enough of this every four years during a presidential election where there's this insane notion that the corn farmer in Iowa's political views are shown more on TV than a black woman's in Newark (or any urban area) even though by far there are more urban/suburban dwellers in the US than rural ones.

Pesky thing about facts:  True comaprisons can be covered over with broad strokes.  You site Michigan numbers so here's something to ponder.  Six years ago Michigan had only 600 people on ADAP today it's over 2,500.  Not only are there more people becoming infected in Michigan, a growing proportion of new infections are happening in populations who are either medicaid or Ryan White elligible with no health insurance and meet the federal poverty guidelines for these services.  The overwhelming majority of Michigan's ADAP clients come from the city of Detroit where there is actually a decent county medicaid program. 

I wasn't calling the NYC-DC corridor elitest or saying that the epidemic has spared them in anyway.  I was saying that the views of the publishers of Poz and many other of the "opinion leaders' described too often represented the view of those from said corridor--hence my call for a more diverse voice.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2009, 05:04:51 pm »

source

Oh, by the way, take a look at what just happened to Iowa's ADAP program.  I doubt they think their issue is tired.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2009, 05:50:49 pm »
I've always been struck by how incredibly diverse Poz is.  I see many voices and learn about the struggles we all go through, despite coming from very different backgrounds.  

I was surprised at some of the comments about Regan.  I wish we treated each other with a bit more respect and understanding.  It's not easy coming out, especially on a national scale.  If nothing else, Regan has my admiration for that.  

Ditto the above.

I was at Barnes & Noble today and asked if they had Regan's book. They looked it up on the computer and said that that particular store did not have it, they could call another store or they could special order it. Meanwhile, there were lots of copies of Glenn Beck's new "book," the one with a very creepy picture of him on the cover (wearing something that looks like a Nazi uniform), it was very prominently displayed. To quote Mr. Albee, "sad, sad, sad."

It would have been nice to see as many copies of Regan's book displayed right next to Mr. Beck's "book," for a much-needed balance, both aesthetic and otherwise.

ps: Inch I bet you didn't think a simple post would cause this.

LOL  You took the words right out of my mouth. ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:52:48 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2009, 07:03:32 pm »
I wasn't calling the NYC-DC corridor elitest or saying that the epidemic has spared them in anyway.
Again--just so I'm clear.  I respect her.

Thou dost protest too much methinks.

I wasn't calling the NYC-DC corridor elitest or saying that the epidemic has spared them in anyway.  I was saying that the views of the publishers of Poz and many other of the "opinion leaders' described too often represented the view of those from said corridor--hence my call for a more diverse voice.

So then which article in the most recent issue of Poz is "NYC/DC/LA" centric?  The one about locking up HIV+ people in jail?  The one about Hepatitis C?  The one about HIV dental care?  The Latino hub online? Oh yeah, those won't appeal to anybody but those on the Coasts.

My point is: I think you've got some chips on your shoulder that are tainting your interpretation of the facts.  You complain about other people's biases (Poz editors) but clearly, you are the one that is biased.  I don't know Ms. Hoffman enough to judge her. I could give a rats ass if she's rich or homeless, a woman or a man, a snob or humble.  She is an HIV+ person that did not have to come out publicly but did so anyway and, in turn, is doing her part to raise awareness and connect those afflicted. That, I think, is pretty respectable.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:05:06 pm by GNYC09 »

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2009, 08:08:42 pm »
Thou dost protest too much methinks.

So then which article in the most recent issue of Poz is "NYC/DC/LA" centric?  The one about locking up HIV+ people in jail?  The one about Hepatitis C?  The one about HIV dental care?  The Latino hub online? Oh yeah, those won't appeal to anybody but those on the Coasts.

My point is: I think you've got some chips on your shoulder that are tainting your interpretation of the facts.  You complain about other people's biases (Poz editors) but clearly, you are the one that is biased.  I don't know Ms. Hoffman enough to judge her. I could give a rats ass if she's rich or homeless, a woman or a man, a snob or humble.  She is an HIV+ person that did not have to come out publicly but did so anyway and, in turn, is doing her part to raise awareness and connect those afflicted. That, I think, is pretty respectable.

Wow--did this spin out of control or what?  As for protesting too much, I've said I respect her.  What else can I do, canonize her?  I respect any PWA who comes out to family, friends and/or the public.  I respect that she stepped in with her money to support Poz.

You can actually LIKE something and still be critical about certain aspects.  This has never been a personal attack.

As for this issue of Poz, if you look further up the posts you'll see exactly where I said I thought I saw just too much Regan.  But here, let's look again:

Sex Crime   
    by Jennifer Morton,Regan Hofmann and Oriol R. Gutierrez Jr.
More HIV-positive people are being criminally prosecuted for not disclosing their HIV status before sexual encounters—sometimes even when there is no intent to harm and no transmission occurs. We’re also getting locked up for not disclosing to dentists and for spitting, biting, marrying—even failing to take meds.

The Tales of Hofmann   
    by Regan Hofmann
Three and a half years after publicly disclosing her HIV-positive status on the cover of this magazine, POZ editor-in-chief Regan Hofmann reveals deeper insights into her life as a journalist, an advocate for positive people—and a woman living openly with the virus. Here, an excerpt from her memoir, I Have Something to Tell You.

Fighting for Our Freedom   
    by Regan Hofmann
 Catherine Hanssens, executive director of The Center for HIV Law and Policy, discusses HIV criminalization. (Watch video.)

I'm VERY happy about seeing both the article about criminalization of HIV and the issues with Hep C.

I never said if I cared at all if she was rich or not or if she posted here--or even READ these forums---I could care less.  All I've said all along is that I'd like to see Poz show a more diverse set of viewpoints that didn't always include Ms. Hofmann's.

If that makes me an outcast or in someway shows that I've made some terrible pozzie faux pas, so be it.

Not personal--no chip, just a challenge for more diversity.  With that, I'm tired of the back and forth and the mirad of misinterpretations.

I asked that Poz show a more diverse editorial viewpoint.  Sorry if it pissed people off.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2009, 08:33:40 pm »
 What else can I do, canonize her?  

I think you could volunteer to feed her horses and clean the stables.  Of course part of this deal must include not staring at Regan.....  

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2009, 08:36:56 pm »
Everyone has a right to their opinion, whether that pisses someone off, or not.  I can chat with others, agreeing with what they say, and sometimes pointing out a different view, or opinion.  And I can still remain alright.  Of course, there are some topics that draw heat, that's just normal.  And some people I can't talk about things with that we differ on, because they refuse to see another idea besides their own.  

This thread really has gotten the traffic.  I don't get the mag Poz; I used to years ago, but have just never called again and said "hey, I'm still on disability, please renew my free subscription."  I don't care much for the wealthy who do nothing with their money to help the rest of humanity.  I know, my idea of helping people universally isn't held by all.  Some people haven't done the things I've done, and still had a few people in my corner to offer support.  And some people believe what others do with their riches is their own business.  I do not want to read a fairy tale, or a story of a princess who's had an evil spell cast on her, and dammit, all she has left is her money, and whatever else.  It takes guts to put oneself out there as being a poz person.  I just look at what someone has done to help others vs. what they do to help themselves (to what lengths for each situation).  That's just how I am.  So, before I ramble more, I will not buy this book.  I don't read her blog.  I'm sure she'll live on, and live on well.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2009, 09:05:31 pm »
I know nothing more about Regan Hofmann than what I've read in this thread.  Nothing personal, but I'm no more interested in her story than she is in mine.

Even so, I'm happy to have attractive wealthy people such as her and Magic Johnson step forward to serve as the 'faces of AIDS'.  The plain fact of the matter is that is who the public and those in power respond to, not proletarian shlubs such as myself.  You need only read the Offtopic section of this forum to see how pervasive and influential the cult of celebrity is in the United States and elsewhere. 

Ryan White was hardly the 'face of AIDS', but most of us here including me would be totally screwed without the financial assistance that comes from the program bearing his name.  I will not condemn anyone who advocates on my behalf, no matter how indirectly.

And I think she has nice hair, just the way it is. 
It's a complex world

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.