Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:31:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 336
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Depressed !  (Read 4452 times)

Offline lulud6

Depressed !
« on: October 25, 2012, 09:01:20 am »
I am 35 and I live with my 3 kids and my two younger brothers. The other brother is HIV positive and he is making live very difficult for me and my children. He is a heavy drinker and a smoker. He has been positive for 7 years now and I don't think he is drinking because he's in denial. My problem is, he is always shouting at my children even for small things, he sends them up and down the whole day, what irritates me most is that, he doesn't like peace. He urinates in the cups or the dishes and when I ask him why, he says he doesn't want to go out and he can urinate wherever he wants to. He coughs a lot and spit everywhere in the house and doesn't clean afterwards. My little baby is 16 weeks old, I am afraid that he can easily catch TB. I don't know what to do as the little that earn is enough to buy us food and electricity including for him. I am the only one working and I don't earn much to move out with my kids. We are living in our past grandmother's house and he is constantly reminding me that he do as he pleases because it is not my house. It hurts me a lot because I think our lives are at risk and he doesn't care. This also make me feel that he can spit in the foods or maybe urinates in the food when I am not around. I am thinking about the wellbeing of my children especially the 5 years old and the 16 weeks old. I don't know what to do anymore because he is very stubborn and bossy. I think he's spreading the germs and viruses deliberately in the house to hurt me. I think I hate him even if he's my brother.

Please help.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Depressed !
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:49 am »
Wow what a disaster.
Please clarify, a lot of us dont live in these conditions...

You don't have indoor plumbing, a toilet, etc. inside the house??

Does your brother HAVE TB, that you know of?

By law, who owns the house?

Whatever the answers, you are the moneymaker. And, everyone deserves equal respect in a family. Your bother's behavior is OUTRAGEOUS, in my own sensibilities and cultural understanding. 

Whether he is spreading germs and viruses in the house is one thing to deal with.  Please remember that spit and pee do not transmit HIV, but spit in particular can transmit lots of other diseases, of course.  And besides, this is just one of the issues. Your brother's behaviour is simply nuts! 

I hope you can write and explain more about how this is possible. How anyone can be asked to put up with someone behaving like that.... Is this acceptable where you live?  Men have all the power? Or is it something about your family?  Or a combination?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:15:58 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:42:20 pm »

Hi Lulu, welcome to the forums.

The situation with your brother sounds extremely frustrating.  His behavior even minus having HIV is totally unacceptable.  Urinating in cups, but mainly, yelling at your kids and perhaps even bullying you is something that has to change.  Having your children grow up in this kind of environment is not good for them.  And, as spiteful as he sounds, I fear for the safety of both them and yourself.  HIV is the least of your worries...

Do you have any other family besides the other brother which you can turn to for help?

I would hate to give you advice that could put you in danger, but one of the best ways I know to hit a freeloader is to stop putting food in the refrigerator for him to eat.  With kids though, that's pretty much impossible.....(sigh)

May I ask you, how exactly does he pay for his alcohol and cigarettes?

Skeebo
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline lulud6

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:35:33 am »
Hi Skeebo, 

Thanks for responding,  I've put everything in my bedroom and always locks the door, it's tough though but there's nothing I can do. He steals everything he comes across even clothes or a teaspoon from me and from the neighbourhood and sell it, just to get alcohol and cigarette. The police said he is sick so they will be wasting their time to talk to him, EISH! (police sometimes mxm!)

Mecch, we don't have indoor toilet and yes he is a 3 times defaulter of TB. All other relatives are afraid of him, he even carries an Okapi(knife) so no one wants to be near him. He is driving me crazy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 04:43:53 am »
What organisations exist beside the police, who protect families against violence.  In your location, are there any other organisations that can protect you? Government or non-government?  Church?
So, by law, it is his house???
If it is his house, the only solutions I can see are he gets locked up in prison or a psychiatric hospital, and you stay.  Or you have to find a new place to live.  Are there shelters?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Perfect_Storm

• Vigilance is the price of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 06:14:40 pm »
I don't mean to be rude here but why doesn't your house have indoor plumbing? Where do your kids do their business? Is this a common thing around where you live?

As for your situation, the best thing you can do for yourself and for the mental health of your babies is to move out of there. If that house is equally yours and your siblings than there is very little that you can do. If you want out you will have to find your own place to live and say goodbye to your freeloading brother.

Offline magnoman

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:25:09 am »
My guess is the house doesn't have indoor plumbing because it is in the depths of Africa, where not everyone has access to the delights of indoor plumbing.

It sounds like a completely intolerable decision.

What do your other brothers say?

Is there anyone your TB infected brother respects?  If so perhaps you could get them to talk with him?

It does sound as though you really do have to leave.  I am sorry that you are having such a tough time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.