Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 390
Total: 392

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ariz. Congresswoman Shot  (Read 55868 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Ariz. Congresswoman Shot
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2011, 07:42:28 am »
Oh, and for some of the rest of you. Keep it on subject. Pot kettle????? Some of you hijacked this tread into pretty lame tangents - and hardly respectful - and I didn't call YOU names.  At least my posts all through have been on topic.

Oh please, Mary -- stop your whining.  You posted something and people responded.  So, if you think they went off topic, it's because you did (I don't think you or they did, BTW). 
Everytime people call you out for one of your "on your high horse" rants, you claim victim.  Quite frankly, it's tiring.  If you really can't see why the attempted killing of a member of Congress is National news , then Mark is probably right on with saying perhaps you have been an expat too long.  I'd suggest your reread his last post -- perhaps you'll learn something of value today.

Mike

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2011, 07:59:26 am »
Its a national story. (Minor one though.) Where did I say otherwise. I said the speech misstepped in tone, delivery.  The SPEECH was TOO national event-y.  Also heres another one, it steps in its own doodoo of taking events from the media cycle rat fuck and letting that form the speech, the "presidential speech".  (Since its a crazy guy, and we got a lot of the debate wrong about Sarah this and crosshairs that.)   The event would have been smaller if the "political hate speech" issue hadn't flamed it.   Its two conversations to have, finally, but a bit unconnected. 

And the third. Which we had in this thread, bravo, but supposedly is dead on arrival debate in congress - gun control.

That should be the main topic. 

It seems the killer didn't even SLIP through the cracks as his insanity was mentioned all over the community colleges official record of its relationship with him.

Geezum I'm about as far left as possible and I have one rhetorical empathy for a rather right perspective on rhetoric, and ya call me names.  Which Obama just lectured you (according to the right's critic) not to do.

LOL
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:39 am »

I subsequently watched my news rounds - Anderson Cooper, Maddow, Slate, etc. and many pundits on left and right analyzed his speech.  Making similar observations.  

Why dont you put me on ignore since i annoy you so much so personally that you feel compelled to lash out personally every so often - when I dunno, you could STICK TO THE SUBJECT.  Oh and your cheap personal criticism is ignorant, by the way.  Since I am American and vote in the US, pay taxes, and grew up there.  

Ta ta dearie. One too many easy name calling substituting for intelligent debate. Ignored.
1) Subject was stuck to --- you opened the door - you expressed an opinion (which you are entitled to) and I expressed my opinion of your opinion (which I am entitled to)
2) Perhaps if President Obama was younger (oh, say late teens, early twenties) you would have had a better view of his speech
3) As far as news commentators opinions of his speech - and analysis of it - their opinion - which they have a right to - while I may not agree with their opinion, I have higher respect for their right to express it, as they don't consistently come across as pompous, arrogant, and judgmental (which I can cite post after post of yours, going back even to criticizing people's grammar, etc)
3) As far as ignoring you, not going to do that - because even though I don't agree with your statements and many times don't agree with your posts and feel that you come across the way I have already expressed (I realize that is my opinion) and there are also times when I do get items, facts, and opinions of value from you.

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2011, 08:40:35 am »
Obama's speech was probably written with past memorial services where Presidents have spoken in mind.  Take the speech he gave on Wed night and give it in a church or outdoor setting where the mood would be more reverent and the perception of the speech would have been completely different.  I started watching the service late and was taken aback by the applause and cheers, nothing like that of the Challenger, Oklahoma or WTC services.  To me it seemed more a service of hope than memorial and I am sure the President adapted his delivery to what was best for that audience.  And based on the sustained applause he received following his address I would say he was a huge success.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2011, 08:47:18 am »
From my understanding - the President was even surprised and uncomfortable at times with the cheering and applause. However, it was reported that when people were waiting outside to get in there was not a "somber" mood, but more of an upbeat one and that when the doors were opened for the crowd to come in people applauded, etc.

Having watched the whole speech, I thought the President delivered an excellent speech -- I was surprised though at some of the applause at times and the shouts, etc. from the crowd.  While I thought at times it was awkward, I also know that a lot of those in the audience were younger, college age students (as admission was first come, first serve - after dignataries, family members of those wounded, press, etc were admitted).

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:06 am »

Geezum I'm about as far left as possible and I have one rhetorical empathy for a rather right perspective on rhetoric, and ya call me names.  Which Obama just lectured you (according to the right's critic) not to do.

LOL

Far left? You're as bourgeois as they come. Your attempts to sound professorial clouded in a haze of bad grammar.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2011, 09:32:55 am »
I thought the President did a great job with his speech.

He had 3 tasks. 
1.  Memorialize the victims.
2.  Honor the heroes.
3.  Address the heated rhetoric.

Check, check, and check.

Good job Mr. President.  IMHO

RAB

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2011, 09:46:32 am »
Personally, I have not felt as proud to be an American, in a long time, as I was watching President Obama  do, what a president is meant to do, during a national crisis.  He gave a voice to 300 million Americans and offered a clarion call, asking all Americans to rethink how we conduct our national debates and reminding us all, that yes, we are better than the hate-filled speech that often passes for political debate.  He spoke of victims and survivors in familiar tones, because they are familiar as part of our American family.

I believe President Obama was deliberate in his choice of both words and tone, because he was not there as only the president, but as a fellow American, giving a voice to the pain and fear that we all share.  His role, dictated by his office, was to be the face and for a moment, the voice of America, with his only intent being to bring some clarity, sense and compassion to events that have shaken a nation.

I believe that only a cynic could have shared that national moment, and come away with any feelings that were not centered on compassion and understanding.  For such people, all I can offer is a gentle reminder, that this event was national in scope and as such, deserved the undivided attention of a nation, if only for a few moments.  A few moments, when our president appealed to all that is right with America and reminded us all, that there lies strength of character in all Americans, when we can stop our lives for just a moment, to reflect on those issues that should matter to us all.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2011, 10:39:15 am »
Personally, I have not felt as proud to be an American, in a long time, as I was watching President Obama  do, what a president is meant to do, during a national crisis.  He gave a voice to 300 million Americans and offered a clarion call, asking all Americans to rethink how we conduct our national debates and reminding us all, that yes, we are better than the hate-filled speech that often passes for political debate.  He spoke of victims and survivors in familiar tones, because they are familiar as part of our American family.

I believe President Obama was deliberate in his choice of both words and tone, because he was not there as only the president, but as a fellow American, giving a voice to the pain and fear that we all share.  His role, dictated by his office, was to be the face and for a moment, the voice of America, with his only intent being to bring some clarity, sense and compassion to events that have shaken a nation.

I believe that only a cynic could have shared that national moment, and come away with any feelings that were not centered on compassion and understanding.  For such people, all I can offer is a gentle reminder, that this event was national in scope and as such, deserved the undivided attention of a nation, if only for a few moments.  A few moments, when our president appealed to all that is right with America and reminded us all, that there lies strength of character in all Americans, when we can stop our lives for just a moment, to reflect on those issues that should matter to us all.

Joe - once again - thank you for expressing so appropriately and accurately what I was trying to do earlier, but let my emotions get the best of me.  As always, your post carried the message clear and bold.
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
Oh, and for some of the rest of you. Keep it on subject. Pot kettle????? Some of you hijacked this tread into pretty lame tangents - and hardly respectful - and I didn't call YOU names.  At least my posts all through have been on topic.

Looking back, I am probably the main one that commented with "lame tangents".

And I have to disagree.  I can't believe someone can watch a memorial service and put such focus on our President and his motives.    

Where's the name calling?  You have to remember Mecch, while it was televised, Obama's target audience was sitting in front of him.  While I recognize the toll was no where near the proportion of 9/11, this tragedy has evoked some of the same emotions.  It was an attack on our country's soul, nothing short of terrorism against Democracy.  If we can rally behind Bush at ground zero with his lame battle cries....  we can definitely rally behind Mr. O in restoring our belief in democracy this nine year old put so much faith in.

Like I said, I disagree with your comments, which is the same smack I read in a Yahoo article 5 minutes before seeing your post.  If that offends you, to bad. 

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2011, 12:56:02 pm »
You are one transparent, middlebrow flamer.  

I subsequently watched my news rounds - Anderson Cooper, Maddow, Slate, etc. and many pundits on left and right analyzed his speech.  Making similar observations.  

Why dont you put me on ignore since i annoy you so much so personally that you feel compelled to lash out personally every so often - when I dunno, you could STICK TO THE SUBJECT.  Oh and your cheap personal criticism is ignorant, by the way.  Since I am American and vote in the US, pay taxes, and grew up there.  

Ta ta dearie. One too many easy name calling substituting for intelligent debate. Ignored.

Speaking of pot/kettle... Meech, can you please explain to me, how your comment is nothing more than a veiled insult, disguised as a rebuttal to your supposed outrage?  You cannot claim any superior position, when you reduce yourself to insulting others.  It adds nothing to any discussion, however it is within your sphere of influence, so why would you debase yourself, by accusing others of doing just what you are doing?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »
This thread is disappointing.  I too thought the speech was a little lackluster, but I know better than to argue with the rough tough crew of Aidsmeds.  It just didn't feel very impassioned is all.  Sure it was some great grandstanding, but there was a distinct lack of emoting.  Granted, I had the television on and was reading a book at the time so I only caught bits and pieces as I anxiously awaited for Modern Family to come on.

The reason this got so much attention is because a Congresswoman was shot.  I don't think this has happened in my lifetime or if it did I wasn't aware of it(or more likely can't currently remember).  The tragedy is that 6 people died at the same time and it came to a political boil because of the downright hateful things the left and right have been saying to one another for a good long while.

Speaking of hateful comments you all are being downright hateful to one another.  So Mecch didn't like the speech and spoke up about it.  I'm sorry if he pissed in your cheerios but it looks like the reaction was 10 times worse than anything he said.  It's threads like this one that need to be lit on fire and tossed out back because nothing productive comes out of it.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2011, 01:08:58 pm »
This thread is disappointing.  I too thought the speech was a little lackluster, but I know better than to argue with the rough tough crew of Aidsmeds.  It just didn't feel very impassioned is all.  Sure it was some great grandstanding, but there was a distinct lack of emoting.  Granted, I had the television on and was reading a book at the time so I only caught bits and pieces as I anxiously awaited for Modern Family to come on.

The reason this got so much attention is because a Congresswoman was shot.  I don't think this has happened in my lifetime or if it did I wasn't aware of it(or more likely can't currently remember).  The tragedy is that 6 people died at the same time and it came to a political boil because of the downright hateful things the left and right have been saying to one another for a good long while.

Speaking of hateful comments you all are being downright hateful to one another.  So Mecch didn't like the speech and spoke up about it.  I'm sorry if he pissed in your cheerios but it looks like the reaction was 10 times worse than anything he said.  It's threads like this one that need to be lit on fire and tossed out back because nothing productive comes out of it.

Be honest, you think Obama should be running the fryer in your mom's burger joint don't ya?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2011, 01:20:36 pm »
Be honest, you think Obama should be running the fryer in your mom's burger joint don't ya?

Skeebo, that was clearly designed to start a slanging match. Consider yourself warned.

And with that, I'm locking this thread. It's going nowhere good fast. I've got better things to do with my Friday night than babysit.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.