Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:35:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 445
Total: 445

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested and Poz and poor labs  (Read 12367 times)

Offline NowPoz

Tested and Poz and poor labs
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:58:06 pm »
I got my HIV results on Feb. 6th and just got labs back today.  Not feeling too good about the numbers. 
CD4    144
VL      287,708

I believe that I seroconverted in November when I had the worst case of the flu ever and never fully recovered.   I heard that the numbers may recover after the primary infection.  Not sure if it is time to start meds now or wait till new lab results.  Have been put on Septra and Diflucan for OI's.

Offline stpetecoyote

• me
    • QueerCoyote.com
Re: Tested and Poz and poor labs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 02:57:59 pm »
Hi NowPoz,

In much the same boat here,  pretty much the same time-line and everything, not sure what my viral load is yet.  I too had a "flu" type thing that totally kicked my butt back in October. my CD4 count was at 254 from my blood-work Feb 5th... Best of luck to you,  hopefully our numbers will improve...looks like I will probably be starting meds much sooner than I had hoped unless my numbers change drastically.  I am going to try to hold off until i can get at least one set of numbers that confirms the low result...I just have a hard time starting the meds on one test result. Not sure if that is a bad Idea or not.  Can't offer much advice for you but keep your spirits up and GOOD LUCK.

Kris

When we killed what we were to become what we are, what did we do with the bodies? We did what most people do; buried them under the floorboards and got used to the smell - Jeannette Winterson

02/05/07 CD4 264  24.0% VL ??.?
03/05/07 CD4 ???   ??.?%  VL 825  
03/22/07 CD4 355  27%    VL 1232
04/24/07 CD4 490  28%    VL 3785
07/26/07 CD4 368  23%    VL 8900
08/31/07 CD4 454  23%    VL 2200
10/29/07 CD4 474  24%    Vl  18800
Started Atripla...been VL Undetectable and CD4 around 400 Ever Since

Offline Fosbery

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:05:04 pm »

Hey Nowpoz

Sorry to hear about the number that you received, I too am new with all this, the numbers could rebound though so hang in there, I can only imagine how hard it must have been to receive the number that you did. My first time came back at around 420 and since then have gone down to 360, I had a hard time with the numbers then, so I know you must be feeling pretty low, but keep the faith my friend, things will get better for you I'm sure. Stay strong and keep in touch with us and we'll support you through this as much as we can.  By the way what is sereoconverted mean ? see I told you I'm new to this.

Stay strong, were here for ya.

Garret

Offline ga1964

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:56:06 pm »
Hi NowPoz,

I was diagnosed back in Dec. 06 with a CD-4 count of 191 and VL of 23,000 and was started on Atripla immediately.  I went to my I.D. yesterday, got my new numbers, and thank god they came back improved.  My CD-4 is now at 380 and VL is undetectable.  I understand where you are at and what you are feeling.  Looking at your numbers, I would think its time to start meds, but that is something you need to discuss with your doctor. 

Keep your chin up even if you have to start meds.  I thought I was going to loose my mind after being diagnosed, but with the compassionate people here that allowed me to vent my anger and frustrations and sent me support, I made it thru and having seen an improvement in my numbers, it has allowed me to see that my world is not over.

If you want, you can PM me if you need to talk.

Stay strong, it will get better.

David.

Offline lostboy

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:35:57 pm »
NowPoz,

I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

You shouldn't consider any treatment until you have had another set of labs done.  You need to see if there is a trend in your numbers.  Until then, I would start taking bactrim / cotrimoxazole to keep away any opportunistic infections.

Best wishes,

Lost
"There is no gene for the human spirit"

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:34:22 pm »
Hey NowPoz... hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your numbers.  More importantly I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  How are you dealing? 

So, welcome to the numbers game.  We all watch them like hawks. 
You might find some comfort in knowing that the chances are very much in your favor that your numbers will bounce back once you start meds.  There are many who will be able to share similar stories.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to be vigilant and keep up on your meds, get your bloodwork done etc.  This is still a scary disease, and the side effects alone from meds might feel daunting right now. 

Please let us know how you continue to do.  And, if you ever need support dealing with the emotional consequences of HIV, we are all here to listen.

All the best,
Scott
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline koi1

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:42:09 pm »
Your numbers are consisten with your suspicions that you were recently infected. People often have high viral loads and low cd4 counts at the beginning. So in that sense there is a lot of hope that your numbers will improve on their own. However, as you know you need to keep monitoring your numbers. I went down to 74 t cells, and I am climbing and doing much better now. So either way there is a lot of hope for you. As long as you keep advocating for your health.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline NowPoz

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:48:06 am »
Thanks to all who responded.  I got back new labs today and my CD4 has droped to 94 but is stable at 10% and viral load is 389,000.
Should I be starting meds or wait for repeat test and see if the numbers will get better?

Offline Esquare

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 12:54:24 am »
Thanks to all who responded.  I got back new labs today and my CD4 has droped to 94 but is stable at 10% and viral load is 389,000.
Should I be starting meds or wait for repeat test and see if the numbers will get better?

I tested poz back in August and by the end of September I was on meds as my cd4's were at 112 12% and 430,000 vl. From all that I have learned your percentage and cd4 all points that you should definitely start on meds soon. I'm sure that your doctor will be recommending this really soon. He will also likely run a resistance test to see which meds are right for you.  I only got the luxury of one test that showed my numbers. As of early February my numbers were 179 tcells, 19% and 212 vl and I feel a lot better overall. I wish you the best.
E

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 04:57:52 am »
Now, if I were in your shoes, I would start the meds.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 06:00:21 am »
Hi Now, welcome to the forums.

As you are so newly infected, you do have time to learn more about the meds and the virus itself before committing to the meds. They are a huge committment as they have to be taken at the same time every day, give or take an hour. Missing doses can lead to resistance and you don't want that.

You have a very good chance of getting the virus under control by yourself, but you'll never know if you jump straight into the meds. You would be wise to wait for a couple more lab results so you can see what sort of trend you have. Your VL should start coming down on its own and your CD4s will start to rise. You may be able to have anywhere from one or two to ten or more years without meds. I've gone ten now without and it looks like I'll get another couple med-free years.

Make sure you read through the Welcome Thread so you can find out what all this website has to offer - like the Lessons for example. You don't need to learn everything all at once. Take your time and feel free to come to the forums with any questions that may arise during your reading.

The first few months of diagnosis are a rollercoaster of emotions and for this reason you may want to be very careful about making big decisions based on emotions alone. Do your homework on the meds and labs so you can make informed decisions. There's loads of information both here in the forum and in the Lessons.

Hang in there, it does get better.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline suzieque

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 06:21:30 am »

Hi,
    I have been on lots of swings and roundabouts with no meds, meds, break from meds, very low CD4, higher CD4 etc. My advice would be to start meds with your CD4 count. I have been kicked in the butt really hard with opportunistic infections ( last break I got PCP, still on the mend!). Of course it is a personal choice, and I know it is never easy. However on the positive side of the med issue, they have saved my life twice and, while it has not always been an easy ride and I have not always been side effect free, I am extremely gratefull that they exist! Another way of looking at it is that you could start, and when your CD4's rise high enough you could take a break and see how you do. I have a friend who has been off for years now! It did not go as well for me but we are all unique.
         Best wishes for whatever you choose,
                            Suzie

Offline Worried2006

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 11:41:26 am »
Hello now poz.

I would like to ask a question if that is o.k.I have been worried about HIV since December.(My post is in am i infected) Can you remember what kind of symptoms you experienced during seroconvertion and if so what kind of symptoms did you get.

Thanx in advance.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 11:59:27 am »
Worried, how many times do we have to tell you NOT to post your questions in this forum? Do you have ANY respect for people that have to go through this? What, you want symptoms? I can give you 50 pages of symptoms, then what? Please stick to the "Am I infected" forum and do not hijack newpoz's thread.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Central79

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 07:02:41 am »
Hey Now Poz

I think you should be starting meds now. Your CD4 is dropping and your VL is rising and you're immune system needs the meds in order to recover.

Wishing you the best through this tough time.

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline gaz41

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 02:37:22 pm »
I have to agree with Matt, your CD4 have dropped below 100 , you have 2 tests now and the trend is down , i would speak to your doc urgently regarding meds and treatment options

all the best

Garry

Offline jimw

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 05:23:38 pm »
Welcome, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I agree with lostboy and I would wait until you get your next set of labs to see where your numbers are going to even out.  I decided to hit mine fast and hard and started meds right away, and if I had it to do it over again, I would wait.  Again, welcome.  Jim

Offline jimw

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 05:26:51 pm »
Sorry, did not see your second post with your second set of labs.  What does your doctor recommend?  I would probably start meds given the second set of labs but discuss with your HIV doctor.  Jim

Offline way.out.west

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 01:39:07 am »
Welcome NowPoz, I agree with the others on this thread who have suggested that this may be the point to start meds.  Also, I'm wondering if your doctor will want you on a prophylaxis treatment (against PCP and other potential health problems) until your CD4 cells rise.  You might ask him/her about that.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 02:06:31 am by way.out.west »

Offline NowPoz

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 12:22:14 pm »
Thanks to all for your support.  I started on meds yesterday - Atripla - and with only one significant side effect, dizziness,  which I am hoping will pass with time.  I am also taking meds to prevent PCP and CMV.
I have made the decision to start meds and move my life forward......no looking back. 

I am very thankful for websites like AIDSmeds.com and ProjectInform.org who provide valuable information to us all.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 12:29:45 pm »
Glad to hear you decided to start the meds.  That's what I would have suggested basedon the downward trend in your numbers.  Good luck in the adjustment to the meds. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 11:20:46 pm »

I have made the decision to start meds and move my life forward......no looking back. 

I really like your attitude.
Glad you're feeling better.

Hugs,
Mauricio.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 10:54:39 pm »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I've been poz for 19 years, and my numbers have done the rollercoaster thing.  Now they're stable at 914 CD4s and undetectable viral load.  Just take care of yourself (eat right, etc...) and I think your numbers will go up.  You certainly have the right attitude.  I've had CD4s below 100 and one and a half million viral load-THERE IS HOPE! ;D  Hang in there and do keep informed of your counts!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.