Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:04:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 177
Total: 178

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: tattoo and hiv  (Read 8336 times)

Offline jason35

tattoo and hiv
« on: April 21, 2009, 05:15:06 pm »
as some of yea may know im coming back to been myself again after a year of the rollar coaster ride ;D

anyway i want to get a new tattoo to mark the occasion and also because i want a new tattoo!! but ive been hearing from  another board that tattoo's and hiv are a no no, first finding someone to do it (i dont want to lie about my hiv to an artist) and also i would be putting pressure on my body as a tattoo is an open wound and it would cause problems!!!  also i was told i was putting other people at risk for my vanity which i felt was harsh and a bit ignorant!!

anyone know anything on the subject??  are they right are just people that dont know much about hiv,

cheers all
never surrender

Offline decayingsinner

Re: tattoo and hiv
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 06:06:24 pm »
I have a few tattoos myself and have been wanting to get another one as well. From the research I've done and to put it realistically. They are a business, just as your dentist is.  As part of their job, they are required to sterilize the equipment they use for every single use. If I read correctly, if they are doing their job correctly, the risk of HIV from one customer to another should be non-existent.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:18 pm »
Um   I know a thing or two about tattoos.   You shouldn't get them if you are gravely ill, but it doesn't take AIDS for that.   There are plenty of artists who will work on you.     Any good artist has training regarding bloodborne pathogens anyway.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 05:11:10 am »
Jason,

Of course you can get a tattoo. Just make sure you go to a reputable artist. While hiv isn't that big a concern when considering tattoos, hep C is.

[quicky lesson on hep C]Tattoos can be a source of hep C infection. This not only includes the needles, but like with drug use, other parts of the equipment can be contaminated, such as pots of ink and the rubber tubing. A reputable tattoo artist will use single use ink pots and disposable tubing and needles.

Be careful where you get your tattoos done and don't be afraid to question them about their equipment. A reputable artist will welcome your questions.

Piercings can also be a potential hep C transmission route. Again, don't be afraid to question the person doing the piercing as a reputable person will be happy to discuss their infection control with you. Equipment should be either disposable or sterilized.

If you want to compare hiv and hep C, hiv is like a thin-shelled egg whereas hep C is more like an armadillo. It's a very robust virus that, unlike hiv, can remain infectious for long periods outside the body.

There are many more numbers of people infected with hep C than there are people with hiv. It's sometimes called the "Silent Epidemic" because not only do many infected people not know they are, but also because it is even less talked about than hiv. And that's saying something! A person with hep C can go for twenty five years or more without symptoms, so it's not surprising that so many don't know they're infected and potentially walking around for a quarter of a century, unwittingly infecting others. Hep C is some scary shit! [/lesson]

Here are some forum threads on the subject that you may find interesting:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=18601.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=25438.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=25538.0

And of course, please know that you will be in violation of our Terms of Membership if you fail to post photos of your tat once it's done. ;)  :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.