Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:59:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: URGENT!!! European in NYC, meds have run out!  (Read 24096 times)

Offline spiderfromspain

URGENT!!! European in NYC, meds have run out!
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:57 pm »
HI!!!!

A big thank you to everyone who can help me out on this one.

I am a visitor from spain, here as a tourist, in new york. I commute from new jersey to manhattan. I am here with my boyfriend. My medications have run out. My medications also were stopped at customs and there is an inexplicable delay to get them. I am on a Atripla.

I obviously cannot afford the pills since they are paid for by the government run health care back in Europe.ç

How or what do I do to get the medications here??? Please direct me to the appropriate resources.

Has anyone had the same problem as me before?

Thanks
Spider

Offline emeraldize

Re: URGENT!!! European in NYC, meds have run out!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:20:27 am »
My medications also were stopped at customs and there is an inexplicable delay to get them. I am on a Atripla.

Your medications were seized via US Customs? Where? Under what circumstances? Were they unlabeled? Did you attempt to hide them -- which is unnecessary but may have caused undue attention? Can you give us more detail? This doesn't make sense.

Read this and see if any of what you did ran counter...https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL2dxU002Z21s/~/i-am-hiv%2B-and-on-medication-and-want-to-travel-to-the-u.s.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:26:03 am by emeraldize »

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:28:55 am »
Dear emeraldize,

The customs didn't seize the medications. It's just that the medications are taking too long to be released by them  - the carrier, dhl got in touch with the customs and explained that the customs had now proceeded to acquire the necessary clearance from a higher agency, the FDA which regulates the entry of goods of such nature in the country. At the moment I went with my boyfriend and my apartment mate to the emergency room of hospital bellevue in new york to get an interim supply of medications.

I really have nowhere to turn and my boyfriend and me broke down for the first time that I would need to return to spain if this isn't solved in time.

I did read on the forums how some people could donate their extra meds and I'd really like to get this help even if it was for a month which will really lighten my stressful situation.

Warm greetings and thank you for replying.

Ps: to give you slight history about me, I have been positive since probably about 2007 since I was last tested negative in 2004 and only found out I was positive last year in april while screening my blood for medical reasons other than hiv. My condition was diagnosed at that time as asymptomatic AIDS with viral load of 1, 5 million and cd4 of 182. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex once in that window and even with such high viral load and him being bottom he still remained negative. I have been on atripla since my diagnosis and my viral load fell to undetectable and my cd4 has risen to 550. I was told about this website from someone whoworkas in the health field and didn't have solutions. So here I am.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:33:00 am by spiderfromspain »

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:35:11 am »
Oh no I provided all necessary documents including prescription, my passport, doctor's certification and diagnosis, entry date to usa, etc. There was no single document missing from what was requested of me.

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:13:44 am »
I am not on atripla and wish I could help. I am on complera. Have u tried an ASO in New York they should be able to help
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:20 pm »
How was DHL involved as carrier of your meds?  Are you moving here?  Why did you not have your meds in your carry on luggage?  Or am I misunderstanding something??

Okay--I did some looking and DHL has luggage services. I've never had my meds anywhere but in carry on and after this experience you may consider the same.

Hope you get your gear soon. Why have they delayed it?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:35:56 pm by emeraldize »

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:50:07 am »
Actually when I first came to usa about a month ago, I was not in my home town in spain before coming here, where I see my doctor usually.  Time went very fast and I didnt have enough time to arrange medication for longer duration. Nor did I think I would stay on in usa. I was supposed to be just here for 7-8 days. I was then supposed to return to spain but my boyfriend and me immediately decided we would live here together for 3 months. I am here on the european tourist visitor visa. So I asked the pills to be shipped...

In the end this doesn't take care of my problems.

My shipment by dhl got stopped at jfk by customs.

I went to the local aso and they said it takes 7 or 10 days for papers of adap to go through. Although initially they said I need to even be resident here. And thats my situation so far.

Anyway as of now I have given up. I dont think I can do anything until the medications are released by customs or I get them through adap.
:'(

Thank you very much emeraldize and gadawg!
:)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:55:29 am »

Have you been in touch with customs and explained the situation to them?

Provided you're in the country legally and haven't over-stayed your visa, then one would think they'd be more than happy to release your meds.

If they force you to go on ADAP, then you're suddenly a burden on the system when you didn't need to be.

Have you pointed that out to a customs official?

PS - if you have over-stayed your visa and are in the country illegally, then they might use your med situation as a way to make you go home.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:02:53 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:48:50 am »
A pity noone has helped you out. 

what about

1) Ask someone in Spain to ship you some more.
or
2) Put an announcement on Craigs List and ask for good samaritans to LOAN some pills that will be paid back when you get yours.
or
3) Get your American boyfriend's doctor to figure something out
or
4) Just go home dear, get your meds and some spring clothes, and then fly back to NYC when you're ready to be there for awhile, with your HAART and your honey.  Life is long...   Don't make impetuous decisions that put your health at risk.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 12:29:00 am »

Thank you very much emeraldize and gadawg!
:)

You're welcome. Thanks for the details. I would think one or two phone calls from the right agency would liberate your meds.

How about calling someone at the Health Department. And, have you called US Customs and Immigration Service ?

Best

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 02:48:55 am »
It's been a week since you've gone without meds, unless I'm reading something wrong here. Just enjoy your trip and have a discussion with your doctor when you return to Spain, run some resistance tests, and depending on the results either start Atripla again or move on to some other regimen.

What's done is done.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:42 am »
Hi Miss P- Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly, but I think he and his boyfriend are planning to live here for three months. I find it shocking that his meds were held up in customs any longer than necessary to establish what type of meds they are unless it was unclear, unlabeled, etc. It doesn't make sense to me. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:19 am »
Hi Miss P- Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly, but I think he and his boyfriend are planning to live here for three months. I find it shocking that his meds were held up in customs any longer than necessary to establish what type of meds they are unless it was unclear, unlabeled, etc. It doesn't make sense to me. 

It makes sense when you consider patent laws surrounding meds and their import. (I'm not saying they're good laws...)

Meds as expensive as hiv meds are bound to make a customs official sit up and take notice, particularly if they're being shipped in months-size quantities.

It also makes sense from an immigration stand-point. While positive people are no longer barred from entering the US, a positive person over-staying their visa is a different matter entirely. The quantity of meds may flag a possible over-stayer in their system.

Again, I'm not saying any of this is good or right, I'm just looking at the situation from the PoV of a customs and/or immigration official.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 01:21:27 pm »
It's been a week since you've gone without meds, unless I'm reading something wrong here. Just enjoy your trip and have a discussion with your doctor when you return to Spain, run some resistance tests, and depending on the results either start Atripla again or move on to some other regimen.

What's done is done.

Dear miss p,

I quickly ran to the emergency room bellevue where I was givena 9 day course of medication to carry me over after my medications finished. I had a gap of 3 days where I didn't take medications until my boyfriend and me were forced to confess to our roommate that we needed his social security number on the customs form to get the medications released. Thats how he got to know my hiv status. My boyfriend is hiv negative and he willstay here longer on F1 visa. I am legal and as a 3 month visitor or tourist with no visa required. I am currently cutting my medications in to half and consuming them on a strict cycle of 17 hours to make them last longer and keep constant dosing in my body. I have filed for adap which will take 10 days. My medications still need to be released. I have no idea what to do. I'm more stressed about the resistance building it up. This is killing me... :'(

Ann mecch and emeraldize thank you again for your support.

Spider from spain

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 01:30:13 pm »
Resistance issues generally build up when you take meds for two days, then take 3 off, then take them for two, then another 3 off. They don't usually happen when you just full stop.

And cutting the meds in half is definitely a way to create resistance issues. So not a very good idea.

You really should go to GMHC,  446 West 33rd Street and/or Callen Lourde, 356 W 18th St and get a professional opinion about what you should do instead of just making stuff up -- as in just completely stopping medications or what. Unless you have <200 cd4 you're not going to pass out and die. It's NYC, it's not like the first time they would have run into such a situation.

If you're not getting the resolution you want then, by all means, get back on a plane and go back home to Spain. There's only so much people on an internet message board can do for you after eight days if nobody has found the proper medications to mail to you.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:38:27 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 01:44:12 pm »
Dear miss p,

I quickly ran to the emergency room bellevue where I was givena 9 day course of medication to carry me over after my medications finished. I had a gap of 3 days where I didn't take medications until my boyfriend and me were forced to confess to our roommate that we needed his social security number on the customs form to get the medications released.     Thats how he got to know my hiv status. My boyfriend is hiv negative and he willstay here longer on F1 visa. I am legal and as a 3 month visitor or tourist with no visa required. I am currently cutting my medications in to half and consuming them on a strict cycle of 17 hours to make them last longer and keep constant dosing in my body. I have filed for adap which will take 10 days. My medications still need to be released. I have no idea what to do. I'm more stressed about the resistance building it up. This is killing me... :'(

Ann mecch and emeraldize thank you again for your support.

Spider from spain

Listen to Miss P.  Your strategy is a fail....  Go see a doctor. 

You came into this forum looking for meds and I hope you get yours, soon!!

But its a lucky coincidence because maybe you should stick around this forum and learn some more..  You need to wise up...  You went without meds because you wouldn't tell someone you were HIV+????  I am confused. What reaction or action were you afraid of, with the roommate???

I meant what I said about life being long....  Sounds like you are in love (newly?) and wrapped up in being together and quick decisions but.... first things first...  If you have HIV and are on HAART - its a daily responsibility to yourself - and your BF for that matter.... And everyone, really...   

How much medicine is being shipped to you??  3 months worth??  Is the same shipping scenario going to happen, again?  Why is the 3 months in USA more important than your basic health?

Does ADAP in NY provide drugs to tourists?  I mean, iI hope you get your drugs, by any means possible, but you got your supplier already....  Spain.

Something seems ill considered in the "supply line"...  And this stuff is basic...

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 05:52:11 pm »
So you're not over-staying a visa. Have you enlisted anyone to get a couple of calls made to USCIS?  I remain of the same mindset this is bulls***. 

Offline mpositive

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 11:31:56 am »
I hope you are taking those at full dose, MissP is dead on accurate.  I wish I had Atripla to lend you, I would do so in a heart beat.  I am not on it however.  This really sucks and I pray you will get it arranged as quickly as possible.
Please try not to stress to much however, no doubt you will resolve this.

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:39:30 pm »
Is it really accurate that you have to take atripla on full dose? Cutting the pills in half to extend their dosing wont help?

I am now on the last of my emergency room medications. A trip back and forth to spain is expensive (800-1000€ each time) and wont help so it means I have to buy the medications here or go back to spain and stay there.

I called gmhc. They arent a clinic but refer people to clinics and care or do hiv testing and counseling.
They told me to go to Bellevue and to callen lorde.

The plan is to go to another emergency room like st.lukes or roosevelt after my medications finish.

Callen lorde is refering out patients and won't take in new patients. They are only helping those who have been patients there...

Dhl called me again just an hour ago to say the fda is still determining hiv medications release from all documents provided. I wish there was some medications exchange like one lady used to run (I read in another post) where people gave their extra dose and the needy ones got such help. The aso told me today they are looking at legal action on customs for this unreasonable delay because these are life saving medications and I have a legal case. All I can say is I need the medications.  Thats all. :'( and yes ann is right. I am now applied for adap and I am an unnecessary burden for the health care programs here when I already get my pills from spain.

Thats my update.

Everyone has been really very nice with your support. Thank you.

Ps: mecch I don't like to tell I am hiv positive because we live in a 4 bedroom apartment. I wanted this to remain private between my boyfriend and I.

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 05:56:05 pm »
if i were you i would go to the emergency rooms now and try to get meds instead of waiting until you run out again. I think you've already probably confused your body a bit by skipping doses and halving doses so at this point i would try to avoid any more days without pills and its not like the emergency rooms will know you have a few more days stashed away, right?
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 06:56:15 pm »
FHL is saying there may be a legal case?  Who cares? You made a mistake by packing your meds and you are being penalized by a system meant for other drugs. If privacy and /or language combined with trusting people will act swiftly on your behalf here are tripping you up then read the PM I'll send  you.

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 08:14:38 pm »
I don't know much about Spanish culture. But one thing about American and very much NY culture - "the squeaky wheel gets the grease..."  You got to make calls, go meet people, and get what you need.  Don't take no for an answer, ask people for solutions and referrals and their help (and.... be polite - this always helps, too).

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 02:40:31 am »
It's really strange customs has held your meds up.  My guess is that they were labeled HIV meds.  Oddly enough, my meds from India have been opened by customs a couple times and just resealed and sent on.  However, they are NEVER labeled as HIV meds, just as "supplements." 

I can track when customs is looking at them (held in customs) and have noticed they didn't quite close up the box properly... so it was obvious they opened them.

I think this probably has something to do with the fact that you labeled them HIV meds and the customs agent had no choice but to follow protocol.  If you have to have them shipped here again, ship them to a friend, if possible, in Spain, who can them repackage them and ship them to you.  Technically it's against US regulations to import meds into the US, although that regulation is not strictly enforced.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:42:53 am by MitchMiller »

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 10:36:15 am »
Hello everybody

My medications were released yesterday evening. On the dhl wrbsite it says the medications are on the delivery vehicle.

Special thanks goes to emeraldize who tried to really help me out. She has a heart of gold. I cant think how to thank her enough.

Also many thanks to meech ann gadawg mpositive texaninnyc miss p.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 11:03:24 am »
Good to hear it's sorted out. Thanks for letting us know. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 11:17:44 am »
But remember that I am not yet all ok. I do not want to go through this horror story again for my next pills for 60 days til end of may. I am therefore staying on adap on advice of the social worker which is an unnecessary burden on the system.

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 11:19:28 am »
Will my adap be denied or is it illegal for me to be on it when finally now my pills (but very small amount) have arrived(30days)?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 11:48:49 am »
Will my adap be denied or is it illegal for me to be on it when finally now my pills (but very small amount) have arrived(30days)?

I would hope that you could secure more drugs from Spain for the duration of your stay.  As sympathetic as I am to your situation, it's hardly fair for you to be using the underfunded ADAP program for your drugs.  That program is meant for NY residents and not visitors who do not plan accordingly to have the necessary drugs for their visit to the US.

Joe

Offline mike88

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 11:59:17 am »
Not to sound like a dick here joe but the guy is dealing with the same issues as we all are, what does it matter were he gets help from. He needs meds and if there is a safe place for him to get them them he should go get them. Were are you coming from with the ADAP meds in NY are only meant for people in NY. Not his fault they took his meds

On a side note I have a months supply of Stribild he can have but I doubt that they are made of the same medications. Does anybody know if this is a possibility for our spanish friend ?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 12:07:00 pm »
Mike ... he is on Atripla .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 12:17:27 pm »
Not to sound like a dick here joe but the guy is dealing with the same issues as we all are, what does it matter were he gets help from. He needs meds and if there is a safe place for him to get them them he should go get them. Were are you coming from with the ADAP meds in NY are only meant for people in NY. Not his fault they took his meds

On a side note I have a months supply of Stribild he can have but I doubt that they are made of the same medications. Does anybody know if this is a possibility for our spanish friend ?

Mike,

As I said I am very sympathetic to his plight, however, he just decided to stay for three months instead of a few days and he didn't plan for enough drugs.  He has government sponsored health care in Spain and I think it's reasonable for him to get his drugs from his own government, rather than relying on ADAP, which is underfunded and has waiting lists for American citizens.  He's had his drugs delivered to him, but he doesn't have enough for the three months he wants to stay and it's his responsibility to secure the drugs he needs, without taking them from Americans.

It's not like he got stranded here without any drugs.  He and his boyfriend just decided he's stay for three months without an adequate drug supply and I believe it's their responsibility to secure the drugs he needs, without adding any more to our strained-to-breaking ADAP program.

Joe

Offline mike88

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 12:56:34 pm »
Joe

You keeping speaking as if this is an American thing or a Spanish thing. I hope to think we are all in this together. I was reading an article about how in Russia AIDs is the third leading cause of death over there because the government waited to long to try to get it under control. Think about all those people with no help and no were to turn dealing with this. It's probably equivalent to what we were dealing with twenty years ago.

Cutting people off from access to HIV medications is not the answer it's part of the problem and unfortunately that is what our own government is guilty of of the doing right now and the only thing it accomplishes is an increase in HIV infections.

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 01:09:43 pm »
Joe

You keeping speaking as if this is an American thing or a Spanish thing. I hope to think we are all in this together. I was reading an article about how in Russia AIDs is the third leading cause of death over there because the government waited to long to try to get it under control. Think about all those people with no help and no were to turn dealing with this. It's probably equivalent to what we were dealing with twenty years ago.

Cutting people off from access to HIV medications is not the answer it's part of the problem and unfortunately that is what our own government is guilty of of the doing right now and the only thing it accomplishes is an increase in HIV infections.
+1
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 01:17:06 pm »
Joe

Mike,

I never said it was a national thing at all.  What I know is that there are waiting lists for Americans in the ADAP program and it's irresponsible for the OP to use our ADAP program when he has his own source of the same drugs in his home country.  It's called personal responsibility.  By the OPs own words, he and his boyfriend just decided he's stay for three months, instead of a week and he didn't plan for his drug needs.  All I am saying is that morally and ethically he has a duty NOT to drain finite ADAP resources here, when he can secure the drugs he needs from his own health care services.

By your own words, our government is not meeting our ADAP needs, so why do you think the OP is entitled to US tax paid drugs, rather than getting his own?  It's not like he can't get the drugs he needs and his decision to just stay another two months does not justify his taking drugs from Americans.  Bad planning and decision making on his part does not justify using ADAP for his drug needs.

Maybe you would like to be the one to tell some poor soul on an ADAP waiting list, that they need to wait another two months, because we gave their drugs to a visitor to the US.  Do you think it's fair to take those drugs from an American, who's taxes paid for those drugs?  Well I do not.  The OP has the ability to secure his drugs, without impacting our ADAP program and it's his responsibility to do whatever is necessary to avoid doing so.

Joe

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:05 pm »
Joe

Mike,

I think you are missing Joe's point -- the OP has access to meds, so your Russia analogy doesn't really work here.  I believe what Joe is saying, this isn't an emergency on the OP's part anymore (the delayed shipment, maybe was) -- if he runs out of drugs it is because of his choice.  Again -- he has access to drugs -- in fact he seems to have far better access to these drugs than Americans do.  So no one is "cutting off his access to drugs", except him.

Mike

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 02:25:50 pm »
Joe,

I am not staying here only three months. I am going back in 3 months when my air ticket is booked for, but I am returning this time with an adequate supply of medications. My bf has F1 visa and is staying here longer for his length of studies.

And I am not happy at staying on adap.

But perhaps you've never faced a situation where you've faced a life altering horrific 2-3 week interruption in your treatment in a foreign country so you would probably never know. In europe people are treated irrespective where they come from. The health care system is more stable or solid about reaching to those who need life sustaining medications.

I do not want to be on adap. So in may I will stop myself from it. That's why I came on the forum to see if there are additional resources or even excess pills with someone to help me out.

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »
Bocker,

My medications were stopped at customs. I didnt voluntarily stop myself from getting the medications. I DO NOT have access to my medications right now. I finished my emergency medications today.

Rebooking my tickets costs 800 € with waste of trip. I might as well buy the medications here. I think the stop by customs wasnt of reasonable time frame.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 02:35:11 pm »
Bocker,

My medications were stopped at customs. I didnt voluntarily stop myself from getting the medications.

Rebooking my tickets costs 800 € with waste of trip. I might as well buy the medications here. I think the stop by customs wasnt of reasonable time frame.

I agree that the stopped meds were unreasonable and should not have happened.  I also wish that the US was set up like Europe, where everyone gets the medical care they need.  Unfortunately, that is not how it works here.  There is a limited (and shrinking) pool of money to help folks in ADAP -- one must look at the reality and not the wished for world.
Yes -- it would be expensive for you to fly back, but it is expensive for US taxpayers for you to NOT do so.  Again -- it is unfortunate, but it is our reality.
Is there an option for you to order meds from Spain now to ship -- perhaps that would give them time to arrive to you.
I truly do understand your plight -- but, unfortunately, you are in a country where health care is not a right to its own citizens.

Mike

Offline Matts

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 02:48:47 pm »
Have U called the Spanish Embassy? They shall take care of Your case and provide some drugs from Europe. If You dramatize a bit that You will die of AIDS, I'm sure they will do something pretty soon. It's their duty.

And don't expect anything from the US, they do'nt have enough drugs for their own population.
Dovato

Offline mike88

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 03:26:44 pm »
This is a great discussion to emphasize how these drug companies got us all by the balls. 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 03:31:24 pm »

And don't expect anything from the US, they do'nt have enough drugs for their own population.

Well that's not exactly correct now since as our Spanish friend has mentioned he not only received an emergency supply of medication while in the US but also got approved for ADAP after being in the country as a tourist.

With that said, there is a culture in the United States that is based upon a certain self sufficiency.  Good or bad, agree with it or not, it is what it is.  When someone has a source of medication from their own country travels here as a tourist and hits a snag there is an expectation that the person takes care of it, ie they go home and get heir meds.   The expectation isn't that they stay here and obtain public assistance that wasn't meant or designed for tourists.

The OP should have prepared a little better to not run out of medication when he was here.  The US customs enforcement is very strict , especially when it comes to shipping drugs into the country.  That's not a secret.  If you have ever travelled to the US you would see just how thorough they are when entering the country.  As a citizen I have been stopped and made to wait hours by border control and customs.  That should have been taken into consideration when the op was shipping his meds into the country.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Matts

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 04:04:22 pm »
A wise and well-balanced answer, as always:) I withdraw my last sentence, it was very generous to put im on ADAP.

What can we learn? Always take enough meds when You travel to a foreign country.
Especially for the Greece visitors this year. After the crisis it can be difficult to get any meds at the moment.

I think all these problems will be over when the patents will run out, so in 2020?
Dovato

Offline spiderfromspain

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 04:38:30 pm »
You will all be happy to learn that foreigner or not, your life saving medications will not be denied to you in europe and whatever (if at all) problems arise with less stringent customs hold ups. Its NOT a burden on the system (if thats how you view it) and no price is too much for a life that is within control of being saved.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:43:55 pm by spiderfromspain »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 04:52:12 pm »
You will all be happy to learn that foreigner or not, your life saving medications will not be denied to you in europe and whatever (if at all) problems arise with less stringent customs hold ups. Its NOT a burden on the system (if thats how you view it) and no price is too much for a life that is within control of being saved.

I hope you enjoy your time here in the states ... if I had extra meds I would have gladly sent them to you but I didn't  .... I'm sure happy you got what you needed in the end .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:19 pm »

Nobody denied you any medications here so stop the drama.  When I went to Europe once, we decided to extend our vacation by a week, but I only had enough meds for the planned two weeks.  I could have gotten the meds from the Dutch system, but it was my responsibility to get the drugs I needed.  I worked with Dutch customs, had them sent Fedex and had them in two days.  It was expensive, but the Dutch were not responsible for my getting my drugs, because I changed my plans.

This has nothing to do with intentionally hurting anyone.  It has to do with being responsible for your actions and not expecting someone else to suffer due to your poor planning.

Joe

Offline bocker3

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 05:06:10 pm »

It's not really how any of us "view" it -- it is, unfortunately, how the system is in this country.  I daresay that anyone who has responded would much prefer that the U.S. deliver healthcare differently.  I know that I would prefer that all citizens and any visitors were able to get what they needed. 
Although, whenever I do travel outside the US, I bring double the amount of meds that I would need.  I hand carry them.  Even when I travel to Europe where I could get meds with more ease than I can in my own country, it seems.  Why?  well -- it's the right thing to do and one never knows where one might find themselves stranded.  Perhaps there is no way to get meds -- I like to hedge my bets.  In fact, when I travel to Tanzania in February for 2 weeks -- I'll probably take 6 weeks of meds with me.

I suppose that I should let it alone, but.....  your comment about saving a life is a little over the top for your situation.  You don't want to spend any additional money to go home and get your FREE meds, so if there is anyone unwilling to do something to "save a life" -- look in the mirror.  If you were in a life or death situation, like a heart attack, etc -- you would receive the care you need.  Yes, you'd be presented with a hefty bill, but you would not be left to die.

So again -- it would be great if the U.S. did things differently -- and hopefully we will some day..... unfortunately that day isn't today.

While I am sure that I coming off as cold and uncaring.  That isn't my intent, nor my nature -- in fact, I have sent 2 months of Atripla to a member of this forum in the past when he was in a dire situation.  We all should try and help one another whenever we can. 

Mike

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 05:18:30 pm »
This has nothing to do with intentionally hurting anyone.  It has to do with being responsible for your actions and not expecting someone else to suffer due to your poor planning.
If we all had been 'responsibly planning our actions' in every single moment of your lives I think many of us would not be on these forums right now (yes I mean always using a condom)
But that's just life, isn't it? ... plans change, unexpected things happen, customs withhold life-saving medication...

I don't get how everyone is pointing the finger at the OP here. He is not being a drama queen.

And I am sure that every other American traveller in Europe would follow your example and do the same responsible thing when he gets into a tricky situation and rather pay a 800$ ticket home than taking free meds from of the local health care system ... because you know it's the European taxpayers who are paying for all this!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 05:25:34 pm »
To everyone posting in this thread, you might understand my view if you had to tell someone, who had been on an ADAP waiting list, that there was no money for their needs.  I've been poz for almost 3 decades and getting life-sustaining medications to Americans has always been an uphill struggle.  Some of you have no idea how far this forum and the HIV community will go, to make sure everyone has access to drugs.  Hope and desire, unfortunately, is not enough to insure that every poz American gets the drugs they need.

My history dictates that I speak up, whenever I see resources being diverted from a much needed program.  I'm not inferring anything about the OP, only his seeming resentment that he be expected to cover the cost of securing more meds.  When you have the ability to alleviate this situation and you don't want to, because it will cost you more money, just think about the person you are delaying from getting their life-saving medications as well.

And if you cannot understand by viewpoint, then you have not been paying attention to the reality in America.

Joe

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2013, 06:56:18 pm »
Spider, I think everyone is glad you're going to get your spanish drugs... Or ANY drugs. NYC drugs. Whatever. 

So the moral of the story is living well with HIV is getting your supply line IN ORDER. 

If your Spanish drugs are arriving in a day or two, why don't you take the first month of ADAP drugs, and be proactive about getting your SPANISH drugs shipped for the next months... Get them shipped to you now if you can.  Use the ADAP drugs as a cushion.  That is, if Spain does this sort of thing - releasing to a family member to ship, or shipping directly.  Otherwise, yeah, ADAP.  But really, if Spain has you covered, go out of your way to get your Spanish drugs.

Sounds like maybe you want to live in the USA for some time....  Great that you are living for love and adventure. 

Now get your shit together about what country is going to be a steady supply of your HAART, and as RuPaul says on her drag-race, "Don't Fuck it Up."  8)

Also I'm jealous that you get to be in NY this spring because I want to go see Kinky Boots on Broadway!!  Have fun in the metropolis of all metropolises.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:00:52 pm by mecch »

Offline atlanta05

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2013, 08:17:10 pm »
Here's a nice idea. Having recieved emergency interim treatment while your drug were held up by customs, and having recieved your drugs at last, will you then have extra in your Spanish supply? You could donate that 10 days' worth (or whatever) to the agency who helped you.

That could be a way to smooth over all these arguments about American citizens paying for/getting treatment and whether this is good/bad/proper/priority.

Plus you'd feel good knowing that you were able to help someone.

If there's one thing my HIV story has taught me, it's that karma is a wonderful thing. Always good to stay on the plus-side, especially when you're...well...plus, as we all are here.

Hope it all goes better for you!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.