Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:24:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 516
Total: 518

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Being in Control - My Parents are going to be the death of me!  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Being in Control - My Parents are going to be the death of me!
« on: January 16, 2007, 10:32:22 pm »
My family history is full of beautiful times and sorrowful times.   I just need to let this go.  I am not in control of my parents..  I love them dearly, but I can't help them unless they want help.   "Dad is dreamer,"..  Once a very successful surgeon who had it all and lost it all 20 or so years ago to alcoholism.   I like a good son, followed him right down that path.  We both have been clean now for 12 + years, but Dad's history just can't clear itself.  Everything they try to do financially just fizzles.  Here they are at almost 80 still trying to put the next big deal together and lawyers lawyers and more lawyers.   My cd4's just do not do well with worrying about them.  Another court decision pending in the next 24 hours...  WHEN DOES IT END!   

Mom and Dad were great when I came out as their gay son.  Then I screamed for help and Dad was there by my side for me to get clean and sober.   Now HIV this year and here they are both helping me and William along.   Why can't I give them a break from all of this?   Why will they not except defeat and just retire on social security and the kids can take care of them?    We can do this if they asked.   But more drama in their lives...   It just never ends.   I hate the Government for what they have done to my parents.   I hate my parents for not giving in and enjoying their remaining years on this planet..   "I think they are MISSING IT."   I feel helpless,  I don't like it..... 

I just need to say something......   (Im still not smoking!)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:39:16 pm by Eric »

Offline Eldon

Re: Being in Control - My Parents are going to be the death of me!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:39:28 pm »
They are who they are as they have already chosen who they wanted to be.

All you can do is Love them with all of your heart!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:41:28 pm »
Eldon, I understand that...  But, its hard watching the Titanic sink over and over again... It really is....

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:45:05 pm »
I DO understand that it is rough but all you can do is grab whatever you can to stay afloat while the ship is sinking and save who you can save from drowning.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:52:28 pm »
Actually sometimes bitching really loud on the internet is really helpful and perhaps you should indulge him tonight.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Longislander

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:53:18 pm »
Eric, I can imagine what it's like trying to rationalize things with 80 year olds, I have a friend who's trying to convince her parents at mid-70's they need a one story place since neither can make it up and down anymore, but they just won't let go of the place. And no, they haven't been there all their lives or anything like that. You can only take care of yourself. You're doing great. You can give your parents encouraging words when they're excited about a new venture, then commisserate with them when it goes sour.  If it reaches a point where it looks as if they'll end up homeless or hungry, then by all means , jump in and take charge (with your siblings). Until then, sit back, take care of yourself, and just be there to listen to them.  Like Eldon says, they are who they are, and at this point in their lives, they won't be changing anytime soon.

Be well,
Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:45:39 pm »
I feel alot safer knowing there are people like you Eldon, Paul and Philly that care.   I have two brothers and a sister who also can shoulder the burdon if it gets worse...   I am taking care of myself and thats a big one.   William is there as well...  Its just "Feelings"....  I am saying prayers that things will work out (again).   I never thought I would have them in my life this long.   I am thankful they are pretty healthy and can weather all of this crap...   Yeah,   I can't change them...   I guess I gota learn how to let go better..

HUGS you guys!!!

Offline Blixer

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 12:24:18 am »
Eric, it is difficult watching anyone you love go through a tough time.  I know you already know that.  And either way, whether it is either thurst upon them or a result of what they do it is still difficult.  I know you have great parents and it is in your nature to want them to enjoy life and particularly these "golden" years.  But like you also know, some things are just not within our control.  You can be there for them, you can love them dearly.  But hopefully you can come to that point where their situation doesn't overly stress you and beat up on your CD4s.  Maybe, just maybe, they will eventually see something through you that will help them to give in and enjoy. 

Till then, you have a save place to scream here and lots of people who care about you!

Hugs!
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 12:38:48 am »
In the faint hope that this'll make you feel at least a wee bit better: MY PARENTS DRIVE ME CRAZY TOO! Seriously. So crazy, that for most of my adult life I've tried to put thousands of miles between them and myself. The idea of visiting them this Christmas had me so upset and panicky that my shrink said: don't do it if it makes you this miserable.

They're nice people, really. But fucked up, like the rest of us. Dad is 61. It's always feast or famine time with him, money-wise. When it's feast time, it's an orgy of spending and gambling. When it's famine, time to duck calls from creditors. And like a good son, I've inherited that trait -- at 34 I don't know how to balance a check book. And my younger brother is a compulsive gambler. Mum's late 50s, a good doctor. Retreating more and more into meditation, partly to cope with having three crazy men in her life (my dad, my brother, and me). She thinks that she's helping me when she gives me self-help books like "Chicken Soup" etc. Does she know me at all? Those kinds of books make me furious enough to foam at the mouth (though I control myself).

Lots more to say of course, but that's enough for now. Just vented for a paragraph or two and I feel a bit better. So keep on venting in this space, if you want Eric. It's kinda like group therapy in cyberspace, with no annoying know-it-all therapist with an inscrutable look on his/her face.

Anyway. Here's one of my favorite poems about parents and kids (I may be misquoting, this is from memory):

They fuck you up, your mum and dad,
  They may not mean to, but they do.
They give you all the faults they had
  And add some more, just for you.

But they were fucked-up in their turn
  By old-style fools in hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
  And half at each-other's throats.

Man hands on misery to man --
  It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
  And don't have any kids yourself.

Well, the poem always gives me pleasure, since I don't take the last two lines at face value. Here's hoping all the current stress in your life melts away like the winter snow soon will.

:-* Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 12:39:52 am »
Hi Eric,

Gosh, the parent thing.  I know how you feel.  I have to watch mine not take care of themselves and I worry about how they are going to handle living in a farm house that they cannot manage as they get older.  My Mom is diabetic and needs to lose some weight for her health and she is having trouble walking.  I feel helpless.  It really bothers me to see them give up on their health.  As I get older I think my parents are from another planet...  they are just weird.

Anyway, congrats on the continued ciggy thing!  Keep up the good work!

Bests,
Drew

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 02:15:19 am »
Eric, my friend.

I just don't know what to say.  I wish  they could see that at age 80 they should get the lawyers out of their lives. When you turn 80, lawyers take a back seat; they don't belong there anymore.  Now is the time for your parents to sit back and let the world spin around them.  I don't know what you can do to make them listen.  But I would tell the friggin' govenment if they keep it up, they'll be lucky to get a nickle out of them.  Tell them to back off. 

robert

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 09:57:33 am »
I have enjoyed hearing all of this guys...  Thank you...   I talked with Mom and Dad last night, told them I loved them, and when it gets to hard, give me a call.  But in the meantime, its their lives and if this is what they want for these years, so be it...   I know my path will never cross back to the lines of how they live and do things.   Certainly not now, not ever.   

Drew,  Williams folks are both still living 80's and live in their home of 50 years at 10,500 feet in Leadville Colorado (highest town in America).   William is a only child. Dad snowblows the drive everyday, the weather is the shits up there.  All their friends have died or have moved to lower altitude.   "They will die there" so they say.  Their health is failing and yup, we feel helpless to on this front.

Jay I know every family has their stuff they have to deal with, your family and mine would get along great...   Lets take em out skiing and push em all over a clifff  ;D..    I sent your poem to my sibs !  They loved it...

David what can I say, your always there for me...   You know I have not thought about HIV much since I quit smoking and have just sorta been thinking about what avenues are best for me and what my limits are.   Here in this thread, I think I am setting these.   Thanks again.   AM is my touchstone to that real world out there....

Love

ps  Day eight no smoking, diet on track and have dropped 2 pounds in 10 days.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 10:02:50 am by Eric »

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:48:12 am »
Jay, we need to remind readers that Mr. Larkin may blame his parents, but at a certain age, his miscues about life were his own to own? :) 

Eric, there's always watching A Long Day's Journey Into Night (was this the price of P-town?) followed by Mommie Dearest for perspective?  Seriously, whether we are talking here in the forums about our parents, our siblings, our partners, our boy and girl friends: we can't change them; we can only accept them, learn to accept them.  Mine, it turned out this summer, made complete hash of all the financial planning matters, went in one direction while my brother, myself and others assumed they had gone in another direction, giving away what is now gone but would have been useful if retained.  Yes, they went into continuing care, but given that it means the funeral of the week club, was this, ultimately wise?  Or my mother's continuing to smoke after her stroke, my father continuing to overeat after his quadruple by-pass, collostomy, etc.? 

We can only, safely, offer support however dishonest it may seem at times because we can't continue to blame them for our choices, we can't continue to blame them for our mistakes, we do have to think about what we are doing, day by day and why, create our own lives and make our personal impact.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 11:02:08 am »
I understand how u must be feeling but all I can tell you is that you have to take good care of yourself first otherwise you can't help them.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 11:04:42 am »
Eric,

First things first -- Great job with the smoking and the weight.  Try to keep the focus on the things you have control over.

Now remember this important thing -- you are powerless over your parent's lives.  That doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't worry about them, but all you can do is let them know that you are there if they need you.  You are clearly a loving son, so just do what you can do.  Remember, sometimes the best thing we can do for others is to be a good role model in how to live.

I personally LOVE the Serenity Prayer to help me focus:

God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change (other people, places or things)
The courage to change the things I can (me)
And the wisdom to know the difference

Of course, when dealing with my family, I am often forced into using the Short Version of this Prayer:

FUCK IT

Again, keep on focusing on what you can control and keep on using AM to help dump your frustrations (and to celebrate your successes).

Hugs and  :-*  :-*
Mike

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 12:30:54 pm »
When things get "different" for me, I dig something out from my past.... 

"Back to Before" - This song has so many levels and just sorta hit home this morning....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CQrxa7n_b4

Mike and Win,  Thanks again... Sometimes I feel I am in a "meeting" but thats ok since I don't go much anymore....  My loss..   I get what I need right here...  I feel alot better and we will just see how things go.... Its not like anything has changed yesterday or today, its just been going on like this for longer than I can remember.....   Not much hope in turning  "back to before"...

Love
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 02:43:48 pm by Eric »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.