Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 05:23:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cuts and scrapes  (Read 3856 times)

Offline sacinsc

Cuts and scrapes
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:51:09 pm »
Question, I forgot to ask my doctor this and I am very curious. I am a teacher and the other day I cut my finger in the classroom. It was a small cut and I just immediately put a bandaid on it which covered it and any blood. My question is, is there a product like neosporin or something that I could but on the cut first to make sure there is no possible way that transmission could occur. I am around students and for some reason they like high fives and crap. Just really wondering if such a product exists or if regular soap would work, or that antibactirial hand stuff...that just seems like it would since its for bacteria and not a virus. Any ideas?
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Cuts and scrapes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:57:40 pm »
Matt,

There is absolutely no risk of you being able to transmit the virus to your students through casual contact such as "high fives" or similar, even if you have a cut or a scrape.

It is certainly sensible general hygiene to wash your hands and apply a sterile dressing like a band-aid whenever you do get a cut, however this is not because of the risk of HIV transmission. Soap and water is sufficient, antibacterial solutions are not needed for small wounds.

MtD

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 11:08:14 pm »
Thanks dude,

I knew the risk would be like 1 in a billion, but I wanted to check :)

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline J220

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 11:26:22 pm »
MTD is on the money of course, but for peace of mind (which is priceless) you can buy alcohol-saturated swipes, like ones the nurses use before drawing your blood. You open the little package, swipe the area let it dry a second and put the band aid on. I always have with me a small first aid kit, just to practice good hygene in case of small cuts and such. In it have a bit of everything, including a generic version of neosporin, and you can use that to keep any small cuts clean and from getting infected, but make sure you use just a small amount because it will run a bit and the adhesive of the band aids will not stick properly and fall off. Cheers, J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 11:39:09 pm »
Thanks dude,

I knew the risk would be like 1 in a billion, but I wanted to check :)

Matt

Sadly, until there are a billion documented cases of HIV, there is absolutely no way to place a statistical value on such an occurance.

BTW, I recently read about Neosporin. It's basically vaseline with some mild antibiotics thrown it. Sadly, not enough antibiotics to make a difference, unless creating a stronger bacteria is the goal :)

One good thing about Neosporin, however, is that is coats and seals the wound - preventing further contamination. But so does plain old Vaseline, and for a fraction of the cost.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 10:37:52 pm »
Thanks guys, I like the idea of the alcohol wipes and band aids being with me at all times, as well as the neosporin to kind seal it in. Luckily I have a three right here. The alcohol wipes are from when i had surgery this summer. They gave them to us to sterilize the area around the gapping hole in my side :)

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 11:09:10 pm »
I'm more concerned about YOU getting something from your students; specifically, I advise washing your hands or using hand sanitizer after the high-fives.  Definitely avoid rubbing your eyes.  For several years after my diagnosis, I shed my germophobia thinking I was definitely not worried about catching something from a toilet seat since I'd gotten the worst already.  But a few staph infections later, and my mom's doctor telling her she probably got pink eye from a grocery cart, I'm back to leery.

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 12:39:10 am »
Well i am not a germ - o - phob by far. I got a staph infection when i was teaching in a hell school, but the school im in right now...I have rich kids, I know the risk is there but not as bad as that ghetto school from hell i taught one year at and fled like fox being chased by hounds.
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 06:46:04 am »
Well i am not a germ - o - phob by far. I got a staph infection when i was teaching in a hell school, but the school im in right now...I have rich kids, I know the risk is there but not as bad as that ghetto school from hell i taught one year at and fled like fox being chased by hounds.

Glad you found a school that's a better fit. Wouldn't want filthy ghetto kids making you sick. Funny that, I acquired head lice and a case of pink eye teaching in an exclusive white neighborhood and nary a sniffle from all the years I spent teaching in the hood.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 06:56:44 am »
Hi Matt,

It doesn't matter a whit what socio-economic group your kiddies come from, they will still be germ-infested little rug-rats. It just goes with the territory of childhood. The washing/gelling of your hands after direct contact with the little bug-factories isn't so much to do with staph as it is strep (throat) and various cold and flu viruses they have crawling about on their persons.  :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 08:06:50 am »
Haha, I didnt mean to offend. Ive taught inner city for 4 years! After coming home with migranes everyday, I couldnt take it anymore! I am actually long term subbing right now since I couldnt fnd a job because of my surgery. If anyone knows of a good gig let me know!

I will gel my hands often, its sitting on my desk...trust I want nothing from them! I am taking every immune system vitamin I can lay my hands on at the moment. I always get sick in the fall. Either a cold or sinus infection like clockwork.

I was just really nervous about cutting my hand with all this kids around. And really what happens when it happens and I pull out the surgical sterilzation kit! But eh, my health is more important right now.

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.