Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:16:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 645
Total: 645

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: undetectable, what does that mean to you?  (Read 4848 times)

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
undetectable, what does that mean to you?
« on: April 23, 2009, 01:01:56 pm »
So I got my VL results, 50  ;D (and CD4 604!!!!!!)

This used to be called "undetectable", but my doctor said that now the tests have a sensitivity of 10!!!!!!!! There is going to be a point where they will be able to detect a single entity of the virus, so the term "undetectable" will probably disappear from our vocabulary.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I wanted to see "undetectable" in the results, but unless my VL drops to 9, I will never see that word. I'm stoked at the progress but disappointed at the same time. I know it's just a word, but to me it was a milestone that I don't think I'll ever be able to reach.

I'm curious to know how you feel about the disappearance of the "undetectable" milestone?

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline dixieman

Re: undetectable, what does that mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:57:01 pm »
milker... I had my labs done at UAB just a couple of weeks ago... and I'm still considered undetectable... so I'm sure you will eventually hit the undetectable level soon... but, 50 is awesome... my cd4's were 1542 undect... and 68%... poz 18 years and still here when everyone else I knew who had this virus are long gone ... I just refused to give up... alot of its got to do with the mind... positive thinking... I do not dwell on the negative ... it has not been easy but, I just keep on. So don't read to much in it... your doing great!

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:28:49 pm »
In South Africa, the Public Academic Hospitals VL tests have a treshold of 25 cp/ml.
RSA is a developing country, but with the highest HIV infection rate in the World.
This may explain why the rich countries such as USA and EU countries still continue to offer only 40, 48 if not 50 cpm/ml only.

Lowering this treshold is a progress.
Not only it will allows a day as you say to remove from our vocabulary "undetectable" (to be replaced by 0) but it will allows the emergence of new studies which may lead better preventions.

Well just my 1 cent.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 03:47:20 pm »
I always just regarded that word as a step toward "better health"  no longer as susceptible to most OI's...if we keep lowering the threshold for this maybe we will get to  "normal"  someday...I would prefer not infected  but it is too late for that milestone...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:36:32 pm »
The word is less important to me than the association of undetectable with:
 - less infectious (or potentially not infectious -- at least for Alpine sex   ;)  )
 - a signal that the virus was stopped from breeding in me and so could not mutate into a resistant strain.

Perhaps, with more sensitive tests, someday we will be able to get those questions answered directly.  I'd take that!
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 07:49:57 pm »
The test with a 10 threshhold has been around for a while; it was just too expensive for most insurance companies.  I was on a study that used it.

I've always felt that the term "undetectable" was misleading personally.  Although, I will admit to feeling anxious when my viral load shot up to whopping 52 once. 

I stopped paying attention quite a while ago anyway.  All I really want to know is "good" or "do something about it".  The details don't make much difference to me when the only thing I can do to change them is to continue taking my meds.  I'm already doing that.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 10:23:35 pm »
Hey Milker,

I was thinking of you the other day.  Jan posted the group photo from San Francisco and it made me smile. 

I have been undetectable since 1998, diagnosed in 1996 w vl at 36,000.  Over the past few years here in Sonoma County, I have been able to rethink life as I have also maintained a T-cell count of around 365 since 1998.

Lately, I have been having physical therapy to improve mobility, have been treated for Osteopenia and I am walking well and planning a hike in Yosemite next month.  We are also treating blood pressure, cholesterol and bone density as doctor feels, I have gotten past the part of dying from AIDS and should plan on dying of a heart attack at 85 years of age, in my own bed.  I never thought Naked and Ninety belong in the same sentence so' I settle for 85.

Another thing I think as important in the quality of life argument is... For the 4 years, I have lived in sonoma County, I have been a level 1 client at our ASO.  I do everything myself and get a phone call once each year from a case manager.  Not a problem but in the previous 8 years, I have served as my own case manager and only called one if I needed help.  As of this year, if I need any help, I can call a case manager who will be available if I need one.

What I think, I see for myself is a stable T cell and VL counts and what ever terms are used to describe the needs for services used or needed are not going to affect me individually. 

My true concern is, I have been on SSI since 1996 although I had been trying to become re employed since 1998.  As an individual, I have put out over 450 resumes for jobs in 11 years and had some interviews but was never hired.   I have been unemployable for over a decade, what if Social Security bellies up or what if some future administration should find people like me to be employable, dust off the return to work program and stop benefit payments?  Hugh Jackman can play my role in the movie and Julia Roberts can play yours.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:27:00 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:05:00 pm »
Undetectable is a great thing to hear. wonderful. However, the virus is still present and I think about that everyday.  What concerns me is my cd4 count which has been around 326 or so. It has slowly been going up and my doctor said I might have had a naturally low count before HIV. 

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 06:45:43 am »
When Mim was first tested (at 6wks old with a repeat at 8wks old), her VL was listed as "2 million+".  The first 22 months of her life she was a very sick baby.  She had continued bouts of RSV, pneumonia, gram-negative blood infections (6 of them), ear infections, staph infections, 5 months in the hospital, blood transfusions, and in-home IV therapy.  We almost lost her a couple of times.

When Doc called and told us she was "undetectable", I knew she was going to live. 

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:48:19 am »
Mum, that post gave me chills up and down my spine. Here's to one heck of a survivor! Long may she reign! ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline veritas

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 10:38:15 am »

Clinically, at this time, undetectable is really a misnomer, since the virus can be detected in other areas (ie: seminal fluid,resting cd4s etc where most of the virus in one's body resides.). It seems that eliminating the free-flowing virus in the blood reduces but does not eliminate, viral transfer. However, being undetectable, certainly seems to disrupt viral progression and thats a good thing. Absolute undetectable virus  won't come without eradication. Hopefully we will see progress in that direction in the near future.

See study concerning ud status:

http://www.natap.org/2009/CROI/croi_157.htm

v

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:57 am »

I agree.  I like the term "undetectable".  It means progress, pure and simple.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 11:48:21 am »
It took me 13 fucking years of popping pills to get The Holy "Undetectable" -- so when I read about handwringing over one blip I have to roll my eyes a bit on here.

The word represents both frustration and, I guess, satisfaction on my part.  Frustration that for many people, the introduction of HAART wasn't the glamor tea party that it was for 98% of my HIV+ friends.  In fact it screwed me up the ass because scientists fucked up the first formulation of saquinavir.  Thanks Roche (who later redeemed themselves with Fuzeon).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:51:18 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 01:32:50 pm »
I think it's worth noting that whatever residual viremia exists in one's body when one is on a successful HAART regimen and considered to be "undetectable" is virus that is being shed from reservoirs, rather than continuous replication of virus that the meds can't get to. This is very good and important news, which was reported at the 2009 CROI. So whether they use the word"undetectable" or they give you a more exact number, be it 50, 40, 20 or whatever, that should not matter.

What's important to know is that this is virus being shed from reservoirs and not continuous replication of new virus (which would be very disturbing and have huge implications regarding resistance). You could argue that the higher the number you are given the better (within reason), because you are killing more of them with HAART as soon as "they come out, come out, wherever you are," (the previous line to be read in the voice of Glenda the good witch). You're depleting your reservoirs even faster@!

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/content/confs/croi2009/art50467.html

PS: In fact, if they can find a way to get more of this residual virus to come out even faster, it could eventually lead to total eradication, i.e. a cure.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:19:29 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:11 pm »
Lets see...20+years positive and 'undetectable' (according to old criteria) since late 1999.

Consider, I was never undetectable with this new under 10 count.

So what? Doesn't affect me adversely. I don't want to sweat the small stuff.

Bottom Line: I'm surviving long enough and with a quality of life good enough.

Mike

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 09:36:10 pm »
HIV can also be measured in CSF - (Cerebral Spinal Fluid).

This research measured viral load in CSF using a test that was sensitive to 2 copies per ml.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/550267

It seems that viral load in blood does not equal viral load in other reservoirs - and detectable viral load in CSF is an indicator of the level of virus in the brain - and even at low levels this can manifest in a range of neurological and neuropsychological symptoms.
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline joemutt

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 10:10:47 pm »
to me it meant that it was supressed but not gone, like the virus being present but in the shadow and that it has to stay there.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.