Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:11:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 351
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Too much to bear  (Read 10205 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Too much to bear
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:59:17 pm »
Losing Ric was very tough; and now, losing my dear Lisa.   Also, my partner and I lost a very dear friend last month in Birmingham, AL.   He was on the Patient Advisory Board of our clinic with us; we had gone out for dinner and drinks on a Tuesday, and he was found dead by his Mother on Friday.

Life is so very short....treasure every moment you have.   If you love someone, tell them.   If you need help, ask for it.   If you are able to help someone, please do so.

Just for the record, I love all of you, my fellow LTSers here at AIDSmeds, very much.

Alan   :'(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Too much to bear
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:06:23 pm »
Hi Alan . Thanks for putting things in perspective during these tough times . I'm so sorry for each of the ones you have had to say goodbye to . Much love , Jeff .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:54:11 pm »
Alan, in my own personal life, in the last 4 years, I've lost 4 people.  So, I understand what you mean.  You said a mouthful, and I love you back.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:10:23 pm »
I've spent every moment since Randy died trying my best to suck every bit of life out of every extra minute that I've lived past that terrible day. Living that way gave me the time I had with Jim until that last moment when he too was taken from me. Now I live every day enjoying it as much as I can, loving those around me, and helping those I can; because neither of my guys is here to do those things and who knows how much time I have - but it's more time that either Jim or Randy had.

Life is so very short....treasure every moment you have.   If you love someone, tell them.
HUGS and LOVE to you Alan.  :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 12:32:44 pm »
Alan,

As usual, you have said a mouthful in a very sage and sensitive way.

I believe you must greet each day with hope, grab every moment, live it to the greatest extent possible and, at the end of the day, be thankful for the time you have had.

Oh, and Alan, you know you will always have a special place in my heart.

BIG WARM HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:24:30 pm »
I am so sorry to read this Alan.

Love you

xx hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline lforsyth

• Standard
  • Instaurator Ruinae
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 12:46:57 pm »
Like many here I've known what it is like to lose friends over the years.  My partner Joe died of heart failure on 01/27/2000.  He just turned 40 the month before and found out he was going to be a Grandfather a few days earlier.

I tested positive in 1986 and by 1990 all my friends back in L.A. were gone. From 2000 through 2005 the rest of my family (who thought that they would be taking care of me) passed away.

It's important to remember those who are gone with memories and look forward to keep a positive attitude every day.  I get a lot of inspiration from this forum.

You all rock.
Tested POZ in 1986, knew there was something wrong in 1985. 04/2010 CD4: 975 Viral Load undetectable. Prezista, Norvir, Truvada, Acyclovir, Plavix, Lisinopril, Metoprolol and a bedtime snack of Lipitor (YUM)

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:38:10 am »
Alan,

Thank you for that post. It is you and the others that keep me coming back here. You guys have been part of why I keep going.

with much love,
Sharkie

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »
And now another blow, with the loss of our dear Moffie.

It's strange, because so many years ago, when I was near death, I had made my peace with it, and was o.k.   Now, I've had 10 or 11 years to "settle back in" to living....and I've lost that 'preparedness' for dying.
But really, can one ever be truly prepared for it?   I tell you, every little ache and pain that I have scares me now; I think to myself "is this going to be the thing that begins the illness that takes me out?".

Go on angel wings, Tim.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 03:59:48 pm »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others."

I know all too well what you mean.
So, if ever the time comes to say goodbye remember your own quote....

And I am one of them who loves you dearly...

xxx Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 05:22:22 pm »

Hey my friend

I'm right there with you.  My heart is broken, my mind is aching, and I feel like we're all in some sort of flashback to "those days".

Ric, Lisa, and Moffie.

Three people I've had the fortune to meet in person.  Each was so special.  There's another thread about forming a forum family, we've been doing that since day one, I never anticipated my family of friends would be hit so hard in such a short period of time.

It's just not right.  I'm pissed, lost, and not understanding.

Alan, I love you buddy.   Something I think we need to be saying to each other a hell of a lot more.

Time is too precious to waste one moment on the bullshit.  Life is too short to not savor, enjoy, and embrace the best of today.

Even if my heart isn't feeling much joy right now, I we need to remember that.

RAB

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »

I agree, Alan.  I just talked to him last year, when I was in Arizona.  It doesn't seem possible. 

I love you.  I guess I don't know what else to say right now.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »

Go on angel wings, Tim.

I wanted everyone to know, that I spoke with Bob yesterday around 3:00 in the afternoon. We had a nice talk, and he wanted to thank everyone for their thoughs and well wishes.  Obviously it's tough, but he'd hanging in.  He informed me that he was picking up Tims ashes today (Friday).

I've already printed out the thread that lis started, and the Memoriam thread. I've mailed it to Bob today.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 07:24:34 am »
Alan ole buddy,
I know exactly what you mean. We just have to be grateful for every day we have. I know it's easier said then done. I feel an emptiness that is hard to describe.
I also know that Moffie would be the first one to call me out for feeling sorry for myself, and he would kick my ass to get living every day.

So not to upset him, I intend to do just that. It's just like getting hit in the gut by a Mack truck. It won't be easy, but it must be done. We must all hang together and keep on keeping on.

I know Moffie would like that.
Peace and love to you Alan. Hang tough.
Positive since 1985

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 05:04:45 pm »
Love to all of you, my dear LTSer friends....it's a crazy "sick" club we're a part of, isn't it?  But I'm glad I'm in it along with all of you -- it does beat the alternative!

Love and hugs, esp to you my dear RAB, Herman, and Betty....

Alan

Offline dixieman

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 12:56:56 pm »
Alan... I'm sorry to hear this about your friend... its difficult to convey in words... I do want to say it was Great to meet everyone in Bham at Stevens party... my friend Jeff is a wonderful friend... I've known for 25 years...oh I forgot to say this is John in Montgomery... I'm glad I made the trip ... it was nice to meet everyone. I look forward to the next gathering... and again I am sorry to hear about your loss... good friends are few and far between... sincerely, john

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 01:46:59 pm »
Sorry to hear about your friend and what you are going through.  I don't really remember when I made peace with all of this just seems part of everyday life now.  It's been 22 years for me since first finding out and I thank god I'm one of those who has never really had any complications because of HIV.

I just recently found out I have 2 mildly leaking heart valves and an occassional irregular heart beat.  Heart disease runs in my family.  I've learned to live with this and realize now that I'm getting closer to 50 (Just turned 47 the other day) I have to start dealing with health issues that affect those of us in our 40's and older.

Hang in there, you are not alone, it seems like  you have a lot of people who are here for you.

Blessings to you on your journey  :)
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline texafornian

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:07 pm »
it's not the dying that scares me,it's the pain that I might go through before I die,and what REALLY scares me is what's going to happen to my dog? I love her soooooooooo much and I'm afraid for her(not having someone to love her and take care of her like I do),I hope she goes first so I will be the one who is left alone--not her.

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 09:36:24 am »
Alan,

You've been a source of support and knidness to many of us here--thank you for that.  I'm so very sorry for you loss.  Yes, it does remind me of 'those days', but I'm kind of fooling myself when I think that I've left those days behind.  Many of us still get sick and yes, some die.  We take each loss as it comes and do our best to honor it and move forward.

Thank you for again reminding us of our priorities.  You're a sweet man and should receive even more support then you lend out to us (which is so much).

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 04:29:30 am »
Take care Alan, wise words.
love
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.