Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:30:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 236
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone for soy milk?  (Read 59418 times)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Anyone for soy milk?
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:00:34 am »
I was wondering if anyone drinks that Silk Soymilk.  I bought a half gallon, told a friend and she said she couldn't drink it because it tastes awful.  It seems like it's so much healthier than regular (cow) milk.  She also told me that the vanilla flavored is tolerable.  Any feedback?
Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: Anyone for soy milk?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:02:10 am »
Soy milk is absolutely disgusting.

And if you buy Tofu I will have to review my friend's list  :o

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:42:16 am »
Scratch me off your list Milker! (well, that's as long as I actually was on it... ;D)

I drink Soy milk AND eat tofu.
Both of which are terrible unless you know how to prepare them or what to mix with them.

I find that plain soy milk is better than any flavoured one because I can then do the flavouring myself. I use it with cereals in the morning when not using fruit juice, or mix it with yogurt to make that more liquid. Excellent for shakes, if you use fresh fruit, make your own sugar syrup. Silky tofu (the kind you get in a miso soup) can make great dips for your starters.

Soy milk is easier to digest, contains zero cholesterol and these are points in its favour. Of course you should not look for the exact same taste as cow milk. As for the supposed necessity for humans to drink cow milk for their calcium intake... well, cows are mammals like us and once weaned never drink milk... and they don't seem to be prone to osteoporosis...

Plus, lots of people are sensitive to certain milk components like lactose (a sugar) and casein. Without being coeliac, these people often find that by scrapping milk and reducing most dairy products from their diet they have less annoying occurences of things like allergies, colds, sinusitis or bowel related disturbances. Worth a try.

hope this helps

Pat

PS: wondering what it is that Milker has with all sorts of ...Milk ;D
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 11:43:25 am »
 :o

I tried it once, I couldn't hack it either. I only drink skim milk now. If I drink regular milk, it's like drinking a milk shake. I do love my milk. Took me a little while, but finally got used to skim.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jake72

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:36:22 pm »
Yes, I do proudly drink soy milk. :)  I started drinking it when I became a vegetarian to ensure I'd be getting enough complete protein.  When I started, soy milk seemed kind of nutty and oily, but  I soon got used to it (the chocolate and vanilla varieties are nice to use when you're adapting).  Now I prefer it to (skim) cow's milk, which tastes kind of runny and bland in comparison.  I will have skim milk in lattes and mochas, though, but it's only soy milk when I'm drinking it alone or having it with cereal.

Offline Zanarkand

• All Your Base Are Belong To Us
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 02:21:39 pm »
Simply Soy brand Soy Milk is delicious... Prefer it to cows milk!  :P
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 06:48:20 pm »
I use Soy milk for my protein shakes after workout and they simply taste after the flavour of what you use as the protein powder is. I tried regular milk b4 and after shaking it to mix in the powder, it gives me enuff gas hours later to be able to power up my car engine. Soy milk does not.

U can steam tofu wth mushrooms, some fish sauce and add shredded ginger and garlic to taste. U can also fry it lightly and take it out after its skin turned crispy golden. Cut it up into cubes and dip it in any sauce your palate feels for that day. ;) Or fry some onions and add light soy sauce to the fried tofu for a great delicious and aromatic oriental snack.
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:56:01 pm »
Considering the fact that:

milk is allowed to contain certain amounts of fecal matter, yet be considered acceptable for sale

I can think of no recourse but to drink soy milk.  (It lasts much longer than regular milk)

-joseph

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 08:58:36 pm »
Considering the fact that:

milk is allowed to contain certain amounts of fecal matter, yet be considered acceptable for sale

I can think of no recourse but to drink soy milk.  (It lasts much longer than regular milk)

-joseph

oh heavens. i drink the 'vitasoy' brand of soymilk. cow milk is for calves

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 09:13:29 pm »
cow milk is for calves
When I was growing up in France I used to go near a farm for vacation, and I was milking cows (amongst other farm things like killing rabbits with a bat, throat cutting chicken before plucking, etc..). I loved drinking the warm milk from the jar (no i never sucked the cows, thanks for asking :D) but "fresh" milk was way tastier than anything you can get in the shops.

Milker (who is an expert milker)
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 11:07:06 pm »
I switched to soy milk for cholesterol reasons. I use Silk with vanilla, usually, although the Safeway Organic Soymilk (with organic vanilla), is very good too.

I use it mainly for cereal. I stopped drinking milk when I was 16 or 17 years old because of lactose intolerance.

As for tofu, I did it again. I had been eating eggs, as I found I could eat them again. Well, until yesterday, when the ol stomach acted up again.

Anyway, I will probably go back to having scrambled tofu for breakfast. I usually saute some onion, garlic and green chile in olive oil, then add crumbled extra firm tofu in to the skillet. I usually heat thoroughly, allowing some of the tofu to turn golden brown.
I serve it with an 8-ounce glass of fresh carrot juice, gluten free toast buttered with either real butter or cream cheese, sometimes with peanut butter or jam, half a sliced avocado, lightly salted with either sea or kosher salt, and a dish of fruit or a piece of fresh fruit, depending on my mood.
Top it off with an 8-ounce glass of orange juice.

It really is quite tasty.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 11:38:04 pm »
Now I only use milk for Weetabix. It's a UK thing. But you can find it in the US in some stores. I'm a total Weetabix whore, I eat it every day.

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline Central79

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 03:16:44 pm »

... well, cows are mammals like us and once weaned never drink milk... and they don't seem to be prone to osteoporosis...

I don't care about soy milk - I just drink skimmed milk, which I think does the job fine. But this quote interested me, as it allows me to deploy some of the useless knowledge I accumulated growing up in Dorset (Britain's answer to Wisconsin!).

Thanks to artificial insemination (AI) cows are increasingly prone to osteoporosis as they are being denied the bone-building effects of getting humped on a regular basis - this form of weight bearing exercise is in fact extremely important for a young cow's bone density. See? It was worth waiting for and I've gotten something off my chest that was there for two...fucking...decades!  :D

Matt

(who is concerned about his risk factors for osteoporosis!).
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 02:57:28 am »
"A 12-year Harvard study of 78,000 women, those who drank milk three times a day actually broke more bones than women who rarely drank milk. Similarly, a 1994 study of elderly men and women in Sydney, Australia, showed that higher dairy product consumption was associated with increased fracture risk. Those with the highest dairy product consumption had approximately double the risk of hip fracture compared to those with the lowest consumption...

High protein intake is known to encourage urinary calcium losses and has been shown to increase risk of fracture in research studies"

Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. Am J Publ Health 1997;87:992-7.

Cumming RG, Klineberg RJ. Case-control study of risk factors for hip fractures in the elderly. Am J Epidemiol 1994;139:493-503.

Abelow BJ, Holford TR, Insogna KL. Cross-cultural association between dietary animal protein and hip fracture: a hypothesis. Calcif Tissue Int 1992;50:14-18.

Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Protein consumption and bone fractures in women. Am J Epidemiol 1996;143:472-9.

Offline Zanarkand

• All Your Base Are Belong To Us
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 11:48:05 am »
 >:(  Milk is bad for your bones then?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Offline bear60

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 12:52:18 pm »
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1861.html

Dear Udderly confused,

The major difference between soymilk and "regular" milk (predominantly cow's milk in the United States; goat and sheep's milk are other options) is that one is derived from a plant and the other from an animal. Although ethical, hypothetical, or debatable issues frequently arise when discussing this subject, this answer is going to deal strictly with the nutritional differences between these two kinds of milk.

What's most commonly referred to as milk is cow's milk, which is a product of the mammary gland. As with all other animal-based foods, it's a complete protein; that is, it supplies people with all the necessary amino acids to form proteins. All cow's milk contain 8 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrate per cup. Cow's milk is a rich source of other nutrients as well. One cup provides adults with 30 percent of their daily calcium needs and about 50 percent of their vitamin B12 and riboflavin requirements. Often it's fortified with vitamin D to facilitate the absorption of calcium. Vitamin A is usually added to milk as well. Depending on the selection, cow's milk can have a significant amount of fat. (See the chart at the end of the answer for a comparison of the fat content of some varieties of milk.)

Lactose, the primary carbohydrate in cow's milk, poses a digestive problem for some people. These folks are deficient in the lactase enzyme that's needed to break down this milk sugar, causing gas, bloating, and diarrhea after consuming some forms of dairy products. The solution is to purchase products with the lactose already broken down, to take the enzyme in the form of a pill or drops, or to find a substitute for these foods.

Soymilk is not technically a milk, but a beverage made from soybeans. It is the liquid that remains after soybeans are soaked, finely ground, and then strained. Since it doesn't contain any lactose, soymilk is suitable for lactose intolerant folks. It's also a popular cow's milk substitute for vegetarians since it's based on a plant source (others include rice, oat, almond, coconut, and potato milk).

Soy foods are the only plant-based complete proteins. One cup of unfortified soymilk contains almost 7 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbohydrate, 4½ grams of fat, and no cholesterol. Although soymilk supplies some B vitamins, it's not a good source of B12, nor does it provide a significant amount of calcium. Since many people substitute soy beverages for cow's milk, manufacturers have offered fortified versions. These varieties may include calcium and vitamins E, B12, and D, among other nutrients. If you choose soymilk, read labels carefully to be sure you're getting enough of these important nutrients.

Soymilk may help some people reduce their risk for heart disease. Soy naturally contains isoflavones, plant chemicals that help lower LDL ("bad" cholesterol) if taken as part of a "heart healthy" eating plan. The recommendation is to take in about 25 grams of soy protein per day. One cup of soymilk has about 7 - 10 grams of protein, depending on the brand. Women who have had breast cancer may want to limit their intake of soy protein, as some studies have pointed to possible harm from consuming excess soy in this group.

All in all, what you choose to drink is really a matter of personal preference and your health objectives. You may find this chart helpful in comparing the nutritional qualities between cow's milk and soymilk [per 1 cup (8 oz.) serving]:
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Ulong

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 08:27:31 am »
I love the Chocolate Silk. Good stuff. Don't let anyone psych you out of trying it, or tofu for that matter.   ;D  It's good heated too, like hot chocolate. Just stick it in the microwave for a minute or so. Add cinnamon or whatever if you like.

There has also been back-and-forth about the benefits of soy for relief of menopausal symptoms.  If you think you have lower estrogen for any reason, that might be a reason to drink up.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 09:56:39 am »
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1861.html

Dear Udderly confused,

The major difference between soymilk and "regular" milk (predominantly cow's milk in the United States; goat and sheep's milk are other options) is that one is derived from a plant and the other from an animal. Although ethical, hypothetical, or debatable issues frequently arise when discussing this subject, this answer is going to deal strictly with the nutritional differences between these two kinds of milk.

What's most commonly referred to as milk is cow's milk, which is a product of the mammary gland. As with all other animal-based foods, it's a complete protein; that is, it supplies people with all the necessary amino acids to form proteins. All cow's milk contain 8 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrate per cup. Cow's milk is a rich source of other nutrients as well. One cup provides adults with 30 percent of their daily calcium needs and about 50 percent of their vitamin B12 and riboflavin requirements. Often it's fortified with vitamin D to facilitate the absorption of calcium. Vitamin A is usually added to milk as well. Depending on the selection, cow's milk can have a significant amount of fat. (See the chart at the end of the answer for a comparison of the fat content of some varieties of milk.)

Lactose, the primary carbohydrate in cow's milk, poses a digestive problem for some people. These folks are deficient in the lactase enzyme that's needed to break down this milk sugar, causing gas, bloating, and diarrhea after consuming some forms of dairy products. The solution is to purchase products with the lactose already broken down, to take the enzyme in the form of a pill or drops, or to find a substitute for these foods.

Soymilk is not technically a milk, but a beverage made from soybeans. It is the liquid that remains after soybeans are soaked, finely ground, and then strained. Since it doesn't contain any lactose, soymilk is suitable for lactose intolerant folks. It's also a popular cow's milk substitute for vegetarians since it's based on a plant source (others include rice, oat, almond, coconut, and potato milk).

Soy foods are the only plant-based complete proteins. One cup of unfortified soymilk contains almost 7 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbohydrate, 4½ grams of fat, and no cholesterol. Although soymilk supplies some B vitamins, it's not a good source of B12, nor does it provide a significant amount of calcium. Since many people substitute soy beverages for cow's milk, manufacturers have offered fortified versions. These varieties may include calcium and vitamins E, B12, and D, among other nutrients. If you choose soymilk, read labels carefully to be sure you're getting enough of these important nutrients.

Soymilk may help some people reduce their risk for heart disease. Soy naturally contains isoflavones, plant chemicals that help lower LDL ("bad" cholesterol) if taken as part of a "heart healthy" eating plan. The recommendation is to take in about 25 grams of soy protein per day. One cup of soymilk has about 7 - 10 grams of protein, depending on the brand. Women who have had breast cancer may want to limit their intake of soy protein, as some studies have pointed to possible harm from consuming excess soy in this group.

All in all, what you choose to drink is really a matter of personal preference and your health objectives. You may find this chart helpful in comparing the nutritional qualities between cow's milk and soymilk [per 1 cup (8 oz.) serving]:

Thank you so much for this post.  It is very interesting and also very helpful!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline voon88sg

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 07:30:44 pm »
well... actually soya milk taste good and contain much more protein than regular milk

Offline fearless

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 12:05:33 am »
I'm dubious about soy milk and soya bean products generally.
While they are pushed by some as being this wonderful healthy alternative, many others highlight potential problems with consumption of soy products.

Do a google search using "soy products negatives".

I have no idea which 'science' is correct, but don't care too much as I only include small amounts of both soy milk and good ol' cows milk in my diet.
I wouldn't be drinking gallons of either though. Everything in moderation.

And, Milker. As an aside.
Aussie kids, are Weetbix kids (not Weetabix, as in the UK). Although, Weetbix is made by Sanitarium, a US company. Today's trivia

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:08:12 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 12:32:50 am »
Although, Weetbix is made by Sanitarium, a US company. Today's trivia
Wow I gotta call them and ask why it's so hard to find their product in the US! I love Weetabix/Weet-bix!

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline rtony123

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 05:31:14 am »
I was wondering if anyone drinks that Silk Soymilk.  I bought a half gallon, told a friend and she said she couldn't drink it because it tastes awful.  It seems like it's so much healthier than regular (cow) milk.  She also told me that the vanilla flavored is tolerable.  Any feedback?
Peace-
Betty

Not A big Fan but buy the chocolate soy milk and only drink skim milk otherwise.

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 10:54:54 am »
Wow I gotta call them and ask why it's so hard to find their product in the US! I love Weetabix/Weet-bix!

Milker.

Mmmhhh Weetabix! Sweet memories of the years I lived in England... I always had them with brown sugar, yummy when soggy. :D
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline PJC0510

• Life is worth living, so live it while you have it
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 01:49:11 pm »
Love Soy Milk, I am kinda lactose intolerant!   I like it alone, smoothies, coffee, lattes, cereal.....

Love the soy! And it is MUCH healthier!
I may never beat HIV, but then again, it will NEVER beat me!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 02:53:22 pm »
Chocolate soy milk is wonderful onver my high-fiber cereal with berries!
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline dixieman

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 04:39:54 pm »
soy, cow, goat... milk its all good... and bbque tofu is wonderful... and I also enjoy eating flesh of animals "meat" whatever your tummy desires... its good!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 06:28:48 pm »

I wonder, If I throw a Carnation instant breakfast pack into the kefir, if it would make it taste better. Plus it will give additional nutrients, or maybe blend some Ovaltine into it. I like experimenting, [plus I like my Ovaltine.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 01:09:07 pm »
i treat myself to chocolate soy milk, bananas and yogurt blended into the perfect shake.

Offline dufusmaximus

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 05:04:22 pm »
soy/tofu is over-rated
been reading issues that the soy we eat here in the US isn't quite the same as what you would eat in Japan for example...something about the volume of soy, types of soy...just google SOY...you'll read for days...even some dangers, but you decide...

i prefer rice milk, they have an enriched type with extra vitamins, etc...i avoid the flavored kinds

soy milk and regular cow's milk both upset my stomach

vegan normally, but will eat egg whites, butter if in a pinch, but live in SF CA, so vegan is easier than most places

Offline Merlin

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 03:44:11 am »
If u can obtain soy beans , u can easily make soy milk yourself to keep it healthy if u have some time to spare.

Method:

Soak soy beans for 3 hours till they turn soft. Remove water. Then put in blender to mash them up. Add 2 parts water over 1 part of beans in total into a big boiling pot. Boil for 30 mins and stir constantly. Use filter to separate pulp and cheese cloth to finely remove any residue. U can add some sugar for tasting or drink it straight without any additions.

Can drink it hot or store in fridge for a week when cool. One good way to drink it is whilst the soy milk is still hot, crack an egg into it to cook for 15 mins. Stir it up if u want the yolk to mix.

Peace & health! :)

PS:

The fullness of the milk depends on the amount of beans and water used. More beans, less water=fuller milk; vice versa. Simple math. 8)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 03:47:42 am by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline bahati

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 10:08:38 am »
Merlin,

I was just reading the benefits of soy milk and I had no idea how to prepare it myself at home.     
Thank you for the method.  I will try it. What do you do with the pulp?

Bahati

Offline Merlin

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 03:11:28 pm »
Bahati:

U r most welcome. I have provided the method b4 to make cookies under the thread, Carrots, celery beets ...under Nutrition & HIV.

Here's the method again:

Add some butter, sugar, flour, baking soda and eggs and mix it with the soya pulp  and knead into a firm dough for baking into soy cookies. Create your own shapes.

Some other pulps that can be used too, includes; apples and carrots. Generally, fruits and vegetables with alot fibre will be best as they form the best "dough" that keep together without falling apart when kneading. Bake them for 20 mins under high heat and serve after cooling. Enjoy. ;)

Google for more recipe methods on making cookies.

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline bahati

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 07:01:16 pm »
Merlin,

Thank you so much. I have just soaked the beans for the milk.

Bahati

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 04:32:07 am »
I just googled "soy negatives" and there is some fool saying that "soy is making kids gay"...

It is sad that people really believe this crap.  Homophobic assholes.  Who wouldn't really prefer a more highly evolved, intelligent, sensitive and caring child with impeccable taste anyway?

Drew (A homo who was breast fed and discovered soy milk late in life.)

Offline Merlin

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 02:27:57 pm »
I also take Soy preparing with this into a dessert with my very special recipe. (see pictures)

This recipe makes about 8 ramequins. (Note: bowl = size of ramequin)

Ingredients A:
4.5 bowls water
8gm gelatin (Agar-agar)

Ingredients B:
5 bowls soya milk
170gm evaporated milk

Ingredient C: (for serving)
Clear sweet syrup or palm sugar syrup.

Method:
1. Use two saucepans to slowly bring ingredients A and B to the boil.
2. Mixture A is considered ready when the gelatin dissolves in the water.
3. Strain and mix A & B into a big bowl.
4. Scoop the mixture into ramiquins.
5. Leave them for about 20-25 mins to set.
6. Serve with clear sweet syrup or palm sugar syrup (recommended).

By the way, this dessert can be served slightly chilled or warm. You can add slices of fruit with it if u like but is best eaten plain.Try to consume within 3 hours if left out in the open; and 2 days if kept in the fridge. This applies to the soy milk as well.

Enjoy in Health & Peace!  :)

Blessed Be!

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Merlin

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 02:41:01 pm »
Soy Desserts anyone? ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline aztecan

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2007, 12:42:37 pm »
I switched back to regular moo juice recently. My cholesterol is lower than it was and the new regimen should help that along.

Also, I had forgotten until I just linked to it for another thread about the gluten contamination potentially found in soy milk.

The producers of soy milk use barley enzymes in the processing, which could infuse the soy milk with gluten. I know this means nothing to most people, but as a celiac, I have to watch these things.

So, its back to the good old lactose free milk for me (low fat mind you).

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Merlin

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2007, 02:12:38 pm »
Take the time then to make your own. :)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2007, 06:43:12 pm »
I love milk, period. After reading this thread I went out and bought my first quart of soy milk (vanilla). I am too full now and am not in the mood to taste it now, but I'll let you know my reaction once I try it. Catch you guys later. :-X
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline aztecan

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 01:16:18 am »
Hey Merlin,

Making my own soy milk really isn't in the offing at this point. I make almost everything from scratch as it is because of my diet.

I use milk on those rare occasions I eat cereal and in cooking. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't large enough for me to dedicate that kind of time to something I probably would have to freeze or throw out because I don't use it fast enough.

I also have no idea where one finds soy beans. The nearest whole foods market is 200 miles away and I'm not even sure they have them there.

Your deserts do look delish though. Those are something I might give a try.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:20:20 am by aztecan »

Offline Merlin

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2007, 06:35:46 pm »
Making it yoursellf allows u to control what NOT to put into those that sells on the shelves. It does not take more than 30 mins (exclude presoaking) to get the milk ready. All natural perishables should ideally be eaten or consumed within 3-7 days depending on what they are. Commercial stuff keeps longer cos they have isolates and preservatives.

By all means, find the best avenues to consume your health drinks. If u do have the time, try making anything yourself. ;)

Soy beans are not expensive to buy and u can apportion how much to use. The unused raw beans keeps long, up to 1 year if no bugs get to them. They are no different from raw seeds. Most oriental foodstores will carry them as they are used to make tofu. You may try Googling for a source near you. With Google's high stock prices, let them serach for you. Make it work ;)

Blessed Be!

Michael

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline pozinbama

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 08:45:23 am »
I wouldn't sit down and drink a glass of soymilk. But I do use the vanilla flavored stuff on cereal. I try to only use real dairy sparingly.

Offline atlantabro

• Brand New Day
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 02:03:22 pm »
Big fan of Silk. Actually just started buying their Soy milk with Fiber variant. It's actually really good too. I mostly have it with cereal (wheat chex, etc.) but will occasionally drink it with organic chocolate chip cookies

Offline Basquo

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2007, 01:11:07 am »
I like soy milk; and rice milk is good too, though a little more watery. They sell several varieties in my grocery, so I tend to rotate the stock, so to speak.  I recently found one that had extra fiber, and the plain variety had just a touch of vanilla taste to it.  Yummy!

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007, 02:44:07 am »
Andrew's money saving tip-

I buy the Silk vanilla and then mix it with 50% water, then it's not so thick and sweet and lasts longer.

Drew

Offline juan3

• I like getting WET!
    • myspace
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 07:28:40 pm »
Hi,

Thats all I drink! I have to drink the vanilla soy. I also drink the soy chocolate milk I luv both of them.
Juan Enrique

Be True to yourself and to others.

Offline nick2046

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2007, 01:43:50 pm »
I've a problem with Soy Milk...  it just ain't  'real' milk.  My sister drinks it but i just hate it.

I'm willing to try sth else, what about Goat Milk?  Or even almond/rice milk?  I drink milkshake daily, using soy milk just didn't taste right.  Going to see the doctor next week & I know she'll scream with my cholesterol lvl in my blood.
And so it has been, and so it is written
    On the doorway to paradise
    That those who falter and those who fall
    Must pay the price

Offline Merlin

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2007, 06:25:37 pm »
Soy & Rice milk are acquired taste. Once you get used to it, it's just another pleasant drink. I dun abstain from milk cos I need it for making Kefir. At times, I boil them to make capucino and latte. Using soy or rice then would not be appropriate. ;)

Peace!

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline bear60

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2007, 06:41:33 pm »
Rick
As I understand it.....goats milk can be consumed by those of us who are lactose intolerant with no problems. There is a delightful cheese (Armenian string cheese with poppy seeds) made from goats milk that is available in most stores.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2007, 10:18:50 pm »
I usually drink almond milk.  As a male, I don't need the extra estrogen.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.