Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:32:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 232
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: THE HIV/AIDS generation GAP  (Read 43142 times)

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
THE HIV/AIDS generation GAP
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »
AIDS is almost 30yrs old now and the face of the pandemic is completely different from what those who were born before the mid 1970's remember.
The September issue of POZ has caused a much heated discussion in the forums and I just can't help but wonder;  Is it possible that we are so worked up about this because of a generation gap? 
I came of age at a time when AIDS was a death sentence for most.  I remember the AIDS isolation wards in the hospitals, I remember going to funerals more than going to birthdays.  The face of AIDS was something out of a horror movie when it first appear in the early 80's.
Today AIDS is not a death sentence, people are more educated about, and we live longer healthier lives.  The face of AIDS has been replaced with the  images of beautiful people having a good time .  So what is wrong with this picture?
We failed, that is what is wrong.  We failed to educate the younger generations.  We have become complacent, we worked so hard to get rid of the stigma, HIV/AIDS got a pretty face and a nice body with the antiviral drugs and consequently the idea that HIV is not a big deal was born in the minds of the younger generation.
I am not upset that POZ chose a typical 19yr old South Beach mentality kid for it's cover.  I am upset that I've realized that this new generation doesn't know anything about HIV/AIDS.

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Dan J.

Re: THE HIV/AIDS generation GAP
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:51:22 pm »
& who's fault is it that the younger ones are so uneducated about hiv/aids? THEY ARE because they don't pay attention to the public service ads on television & think that they are young and invincible & that AIDS won't happen to them. You can't force people to have safe sex, but you can provide them with the information to make the right decision. If they don't heed the warnings then it's their own fault for becoming HIV+.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:57:05 pm by Dan J. »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:56:05 pm »
I agree with your post here.  I somehow feel  stuck in the middle because of my age at 37yo, but then again, I have had the virus since '93.  In '88 when my late husband was diagnosed, he didn't think he was invincible, he gave up on the battle against the virus.  Not much was done back then to educate people because of the harsh stigma, in my opinion.

The stigma, I feel, still exists today, but younger people DO have more resources and MEDS to help them deal with this virus.  Its a double-edged sword.

I remember in '96, after I had recently become widowed, I was talking with my GYN about the virus.  Her husband was a researcher in the AIDS/HIV field at the time.  I said to my GYN, "I fear what will be happening ten years from now in 2006 or so.  So many young people (teens) are running around (in the mid '90s) thinking that they are invincible, and they are further spreading this virus."   I wished that there was more in-your-face education then and NOW, but the Nation seems to have sweeped us under the mat, so to speak.  Sure, we have meds today, but we still have a huge problem.

I can't help but feel that because of lack of education, we are still seeing so many young people with the virus today.....We are not invincible, but we can certainly put up a fight.

You are right, the younger generation is misled, and those that are new to this virus sometimes don't have a clue.  I am curious as to how "follow-up" stories in five years would read.....

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:03:39 pm »
Hey Poz,

Thank you for starting up a constructive discussion.   That last mob mentality situation I just read through really put me off!

I think there are some valid concerns, reasons, and issues for this.  I don't proclaim to know them all.

I am somewhere in between I guess because I'm neither a teenager and I didn't have to deal with this in the early 80's either Thank God!

I'm wondering if we could list some pros and cons of being diagnosed back then and now?   Of course I realize that those of us recently infected have a whole different experience than those who've been struggling for 20 years or more.

One thing I have noticed as a negative effect of being diagnosed now is that you're right, the magazine ads for drugs seem to almost glamorize HIV.   This is a huge problem and ads to ignorance.

It seems that some folks diagnosed years back have more of a sense of camaraderie because they had to stick together maybe?  

Personally, I've got friends ranging from newly diagnosed to some having had it well over 20 years and as I've said before I don't base my opinion on how long someone has lived with a virus, but how they've handled the situation and managed to make the most out of life.  Life's short, and I don't have time for those who will try to tear me down or drag me into their misery.   It's not a lack of compassion or sympathy - but you've got to look for what you want out of life.

I think the generation gap can be overcome, but all sides need to be willing to listen, not attack each other.   I mean really what does that accomplish?

For me personally, I don't feel HIV is the worst thing that could have happened to me and I have learned to put it into perspective.   HIV is not the only bad thing which has ever happened in my life.  Yeah, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world.   I've got an optimistic outlook and I believe that was instilled by my parents, both have has serious health issues.  

I tend to think that the stigma is alive and well.   It's how you deal with it.   My philosophy in life is simple:   If you don't like something in your life, you've got 2 options.   Learn to live with it or change it.   I'm not happy all the time, but I refuse to give up and become a martyre for life whether it was HIV, sexual abuse, self abuse or whatever life has tossed my way.

Anyways, hopefully we can have a rational thread that will lead to something constructive.   Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I think it's possible.

Peace!

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 01:10:09 pm »
You know what would be a good idea?

An advertising campaign such as the TRUTH one for cigarettes.

One that takes what the everyday person knows (or thinks he/she knows) about HIV followed by some info that you don't typically hear.  

One of the best ad campaigns I've seen was called "Scene / Unseen".  It featured a pic on the left ("Scene") that had a glamorous club kid out partying and dancing.  On the right was the photo for "Unseen":  the same guy laid out on a hospital bed with tubes stuck in his arms and such.  I thought it was fantastic.  I don't know why we didn't see more of that campaign.  

I'd recommend a similar approach to the TRUTH campaign for the lowdown on HIV these days.  Maybe like...

"You used to spend your weekends at the clubs.  Now you spend them here."  

[attachment deleted by admin]
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:14:14 pm »
I don't agree that the education is all that good.  Sure, use a condom or abstain.  A condom for oral sex?  Please!  A partial education is not a whole lot better than no education in some ways.  It leaves one to make poor decisions based on incorrect assumptions.  We have failed in terms of educating others about HIV / AIDS.  'We' is society as a whole. 

I'm more in tune to what little education is out there now since I've been diagnosed, but then a chef will notice things that an average cook will not.  I sure as hell didn't see much of it pre-diagnosis, just the extreme basics.  Ask somebody who has highschool kids about how much education they have on safer sex - how to apply a condom properly, risks of oral sex, how becoming pregnant isn't the worst thing that can happen to them, etc.  Ask them where they can get condoms without feeling uncomfortable.  Better yet, ask the kids themselves if possible. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Dan J.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:14:46 pm »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:33:49 pm »
You know for the life of me I don't see the pervasive doom and gloom agenda of the LTS that others do. I've seen many a newcomer meltdown over the insignificant, only to be talked down off their ledge by a patient LTS offering support and guidance that comes from the heart and experience. I know of no LTS, not one, who isn't thrilled that the newly infected might live a bright future. Yet a little sad that with all the knowledge at their disposal they still managed to find a way to become infected. And it is always confirmed when I hear someone say HIV is not a big deal to me, that the schools and the media and their parents and the government and society as a whole has done a terrible disservice to people.

The majority of us got here because we were selfish and indulgent of ourselves, and the recent Poz Magazine article points that out so very well. HIV infection isn't going to change that attitude. Maturity and experience might, and years from now when the Wesley's and the Jessie's and the Jamie's are the LTS of the group they just might understand where we are coming from. Doom and gloom not on your best day. Read any post by Christine and then you'll see and hopefully learn what character really is. She'll never make it on the cover of a magazine and she doesn't need to.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:35:45 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 01:38:09 pm »
This may already have been stated, but I think it is more than a generation gap in age - it is also one of date of diagnosis.

In general there seems to be a sense by the more recently diagnosed (of all ages) that life with HIV is something that science has pretty much figured out how to deal with and any side effects (from the disease or meds) are really things of those who were diagnosed long ago.

While it would be incredulous to deny that the treatment options of today and those in the pipeline make life with HIV significantly more livable than yesterday - it does shock me how many feel that there is a clear divide between what was and what is.

What I think is missing from many discussions is the understanding that the experiences of the LTS, while may not be exactly what the newbies will go through - are more relevant than just fodder for the history books.

To me the biggest dividing issue is how the two sides view each others daily reality.  Many LTS see the optimistic view of some of the newbies as being too rose colored glasses and ignorant of certain truths about the long term effects of both meds and the virus itself, while many of the newly infected see the LTS experiences and realities as being miserable or dwelling in their HIV status and refusing to accept the advances in treatment options.

I don't know how or if we can ever actually change those views to be honest.  I think they are a given to a degree and always will be - sort of the the grass is always greener mentality in reverse.  

What I do think is key is that we all learn to stay more in the first person than the absolute when it comes to experiences and that we all do our part to educate ourselves on the truth and science of our virus and not just rely on drug ads or glossy spreads in magazines.

Dan J.

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 01:39:39 pm »
Social Pressure, Not Health Warnings Influence Sexual Behavior

http://www.livescience.com/health/061102_social_behaviors.html

Seven Themes 
-Young people assess potential sexual partners as "clean" or unclean."

-Sexual partners have an important influence on behavior in general.

-Condoms are stigmatizing and associated with lack of trust.

-Gender stereotypes are crucial in determining social expectations and, in turn, behavior.

-There are penalties and rewards for sex from society.

-Reputations and social displays of sexual activity or inactivity are important.

-Social expectations hamper communication about sex.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 01:48:27 pm »
The stigma, I feel, still exists today, but younger people DO have more resources and MEDS to help them deal with this virus.  Its a double-edged sword.

So true and it's so hard to channel the message in a way to make this clear. Until the government starts investing at home with real money on prevention (not these abstinence bullshit programs), the most effective messages won't get out there. I'm hopeful in general but, in terms of prevention, I'm really not because I see such a lack of smart education programs and proper funding that generations to come will no doubt be hurt.

Edited to add I want to second most of what Iggy said. Hit the nail on th head IMHO and, as he stated, I also "don't know how or if we can ever actually change those views" or reach a bridge. I'm not optimistic at all when it comes to this area.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:54:20 pm by StrongGuy »
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 01:55:07 pm »
Better yet, ask the kids themselves if possible. 

Ya, and ask any of the LGBT kids if LGBT sex is even mentioned (even a little!) in biology class, or are they left to figure it out on the streets?  >:( ...... In the mid 80's I remember the biology teacher saying "condoms can also be used by men who have sex with other men." Wow, I was floored and I wanted more. Of course I never got more. Don't know if the high schools of today are any better.  :-[

Offline allanq

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 01:59:50 pm »
In the early 1980's AIDS was known as GRID--Gay Related Immune Disorder. Although the cause of this disease hadn't yet become clear, it seemed that almost everyone coming down with it was gay. Anyone with any sense should have realized that this was a sexually transmitted disease. Yet efforts to close down the bathhouses in San Francisco were strongly opposed by many in the gay community, who felt that it was merely an attempt to demonize gay sex.

I think many lives could have been saved if the gay community had been less paranoid and more responsive to the health crisis that was emerging.

It was only when I started seeing friends die and full pages of obituaries in the Bay Area Reporter (a gay San Francisco newspaper) that the seriousness of this disease finally began to sink in.

Allan
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:58:37 pm by allanq »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 02:19:10 pm »
I find this interesting, this focus on youth, risk etc, when in the US (and UK), 70% of new HIV diagnoses are made in people aged between 25 and 49, mostly people in their 30s and 40s.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/reports/2005report/table1.htm

This makes me think how tough it must be to be one of the 10% diagnosed aged 20-25 or the handful of people diagnosed earlier.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 03:36:18 pm »
I am a baby-boomer and have three 25 year olds. While they do understand the prevention message, I still believe that there has been a bit of a disconnect over the last five, to ten years. There have been great strides in the meds that are available, faster (and more reliable) testing methods. The newer yuppies can likely chalk up their cavalier, gotta have it now,it's all good, thought processes to us boomers, who set the standard.
There are a few prevention messages on television, but they barely skim the surface of the seriousness of the situation.
The educators in the U.S. have had their hands tied, and their lips taped by the government, and cannot even broach the subject of safer sex, because it does no follow the "abstinence only" allowable teaching materials.

I feel we probably have no one to blame but ourselves. I still have a few hazy memories of my twenties/thirties, and the whole "I am invincible" attitude I certainly had, and I had been through nursing school.

I tend to not offer the ugly truth unless it is asked. I think many of the younger, or newly diagnosed often will turn you off fairly quickly. Thusly, they will proceed at their own peril, until they become really ill, or gain more maturity, whichever comes first.

I still see posts by people who think they can stave off this virus by simply taking some HIV medicine before going out to the bar, or hooking up with someone.
Then of course, there are the people who find a denialist that will lead them down the primrose path.
I like the idea Timmy mentioned about the PSA's, but it likely won't happen much more until the current president is gone.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 03:48:25 pm »
hi everyone

while i mainly agree with all that is expressed in this thread i have to say that generally on these forums i find myself agreeing more with the view of the LTS' than 'optimistic newbies', and i think that the opinions i post bear this out. BUT i am only 2 and a bit years since seroconversion and diagnosis so if you go by the 'generation gap' theory how do you figure that out?

it's funny but i have found the forums recently to be extremely thought-provoking and was actually discussing something very similar yesterday with 3 other pozzies over a drink or 5:
me, hetero female, 30, 2 years in, not on meds, in fairly good health;
one gay male, early 40s, LTS, on meds, been out of work for many years due to illness;
one gay male, early 40s, infected thru rape, MTS, on meds, has experienced OIs;
one gay male, early 40s, roughly 2 years in, on meds but in good health
... and we all felt the same - that there are far too many people out there who think that having hiv and taking meds is just the same as having a cold and popping a cold cure. this we need to change.

it seemed to us that in the years since meds became available some people have listened far too much to the 'manageable chronic condition' positive thinking message, to the extent that some people actually think that it is not such a big/bad thing to have this virus inside them. obviously it's a good thing to be positive in your outlook and fight the virus, but surely we should not be underestimating our enemy?

but is this such a new thing? if you look back at the variety of people and experiences over the last 25-30 years of this virus i think you'll find that denial has always been a part of the spectrum, and that never has there ever been a true consensus of people with hiv/aids about this disease. even in the days before meds there were still people who refused to believe the seriousness of the situation, and still now you have people who believe hiv and aids are not linked, or that there is a cure currently available.

so upon reflection i wonder if actually we are all forgetting 2 things:
1. everyone is different in both their experiences and their opinions
2. back in the 80s and the 90s there was probably still this division of opinion (and to a lesser extent of experience). i cant say i was involved in the poz scene during these times, but i know people who were and have read a lot by people who were, and their opinions were/are by no means all the same

so, what im really trying to say is that i think that it is oversimplifying things to say that there is a generation gap, as i know that myself and many others i know have more views shared with the LTS than with others more recently diagnosed...maybe it's just differences of opinions, beliefs and coping mechanisms. i believe that education and understanding is the key, but that we will never all entirely see eye to eye on this or anything else.

all i really hope is that if it turns out that some of us are right and some wrong, none of us will say 'told you so' and we'll all still be there for each other. 

love to everyone
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 04:17:34 pm »
I find this interesting, this focus on youth, risk etc, when in the US (and UK), 70% of new HIV diagnoses are made in people aged between 25 and 49, mostly people in their 30s and 40s.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/reports/2005report/table1.htm

This makes me think how tough it must be to be one of the 10% diagnosed aged 20-25 or the handful of people diagnosed earlier.

Do you think this is because the "youth" aren't getting tested?  Perhaps because they don't feel ill and haven't had trouble being newly infected, they don't even KNOW they're carrying the virus?  How many people find out 5 - 10 years down the road that they are pos, AFTER going to the hospital with a life-threatening OI?

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 06:21:54 pm »
I havent read everyones comments on this thread yet but i will post my opinion....

Honestly when i was 18,19,20,21 I did think i was invincible. Stupid? Yes....but this tends to be a trend for anyone in that age group i think. The truth is that when your a rebelious teen it FACTS don't matter, and you live in your own little bubble. I am now 23 and have matured quite a bit since I was 18 but i know that it doesnt matter how much i knew, how educated i was (because i did know the facts) i didnt think it would happen to me....

I had unprotected sex often from 18-20 and did get tested regularly, each time coming back negative, reinforcing my "invincibility" complex, of course the drugs didnt help either....I didnt really give up on the battle because you cant give up in something if you never tried to begin with...

The education was there, i knew the facts, i ignored them....Its a phase that many teenagers go through and no matter how much you send the message some are just STUBBORN (like me)...

I still think that education is neccesary to try to save less stuborn teenagers from getting infected, but those of us who already are infected need to have a positive outlook, take care of ourselves, take meds when necessary, but not treat it like its the end of the world (because it isnt)....Most of the young people who are infected and trying to succeed have their whole life ahead of them and dont want to become depressed because they think "oh i might die young?" this is true but we might not also.....Dealing with school and work is hard enough, so i think that since being diagnosed today isnt the same as it was 15 years ago, we need to encourage people that its going to be OK

-josh
(who understands why their are different viewpoints but believes in evolution *sort of*)
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 06:33:36 pm »
This may already have been stated, but I think it is more than a generation gap in age - it is also one of date of diagnosis.

I agree

Many LTS see the optimistic view of some of the newbies as being too rose colored glasses and ignorant of certain truths about the long term effects of both meds and the virus itself

I like rose colored glasses....actually for a newly diagnosed healthy hiv+ person i dont really see the point about worrying now about what may or maynot be a problem for me in the future, because i cannot control it anyways....

I think its better to prepare yourself for any circumstances but worrying about what might happen is a waste of energy
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 06:47:59 pm »
You know for the life of me I don't see the pervasive doom and gloom agenda of the LTS that others do. I've seen many a newcomer meltdown over the insignificant, only to be talked down off their ledge by a patient LTS offering support and guidance that comes from the heart and experience. I know of no LTS, not one, who isn't thrilled that the newly infected might live a bright future. Yet a little sad that with all the knowledge at their disposal they still managed to find a way to become infected. And it is always confirmed when I hear someone say HIV is not a big deal to me, that the schools and the media and their parents and the government and society as a whole has done a terrible disservice to people.

The majority of us got here because we were selfish and indulgent of ourselves, and the recent Poz Magazine article points that out so very well. HIV infection isn't going to change that attitude. Maturity and experience might, and years from now when the Wesley's and the Jessie's and the Jamie's are the LTS of the group they just might understand where we are coming from. Doom and gloom not on your best day. Read any post by Christine and then you'll see and hopefully learn what character really is. She'll never make it on the cover of a magazine and she doesn't need to.

I'm ever so thrilled to be recognized by you DashedHopes.   If you expect respect and compasion then you should treat others the same way.   I was frankly appauled by the way you attacked one recent person in the I Just Tested Positive section.   Way to throw out the welcome mat!  If this is what being a long time survivor is all about then count me out of your dismal world!

Ugh! 

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 06:53:27 pm »
Name calling, Wesley?  Really?

I didn't see anything offensive in Dachshund's post.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out what the hell you are still doing here- since you've stated so many times how awful you think this place is...AIDSMESS, wasn't it? 

PS:  And as is your typical fashion, you post your barb and sign off.  Classy.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Lis

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:28 pm »
Wes..

did the hiv2aids site fold....???
poz 1986....

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 07:19:07 pm »
I feel like adding something more to this discussion.

I think that one of the issue why we are still so affected by HIV, is because many gays (prehaps more younger than elders), still feel problem with sexuality. If your sexual option is not recognized, and is socially marginalized, and has no rights, then you do not think in settling down. And then monogamous relationships are more difficult to achieve. If you wouldn't have to hide because you are gay, I think that many places like dark rooms, etc, would not have a reason to exist.

Now, I have nothing against dark-room, and sex places. But I always wonder why are there no sex-clubs for straights? Perhaps because you can date have multiple heterosexual relationships (and everyone assumes you will have sex), and nothing happens from a cultural perspective? I could say that gays tend to have more sexual partners and perhaps more casual sex encounters that straights.

Alex

[Edited to add that I am Gay and I love Cher]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:20:41 pm by LatinAlexander »
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 07:20:45 pm »
I'd hate to think that anyone ever thought that taking meds was easy. HIV was and still is incurable. Whether newbie or LTS almost all of us will have or will suffer life threatening/life changing experiences with the virus and its sad theres this 'divide'. I could put the cat amongst the pigeons here and say there are many other divides within the community but I'm not going to hijack! I have gained great comfort and wisdom from many here who are long term survivors. Those who have been before us and literally died for us deserve respect and to be remembered, and those who have been through hell getting treatment as it evolves deserve the same. I think in some ways its as in life...after all how many of us can say we listened to people who knew better and could help?
I agree with a lot of Iggys points, and with others who say that the education system is still letting people down BUT if people wont take in the message or if we are so vilified by society that is difficult for us to talk freely and thus educate others, I think theres a way to go yet.
Yes, in some ways things are better, but the day I can stand on the street,collecting for an HIV related charity and be able to share my status without fear of recrimination...THATS when education has been successful

Just my two pennies worth  ;D

And hey AWes, what happened to world domination? ;) Good to see your'e ok
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 07:22:19 pm »
And latin....sweeping generalisations re gays methinks and THERE ARE sex clubs for straights!
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 07:29:45 pm »
I had unprotected sex often from 18-20 and did get tested regularly, each time coming back negative, reinforcing my "invincibility" complex

A major reason as why i'm positive. The more negative tests I got the more convinced I was that I had to be immune, and the more I barebacked. How many times I said to the nurse "doesn't make any sense, I should be positive, maybe I should be studied?"  ::)

I guess at that point the nurse should have given me a serious warning, but they never did.

Milker.

PS: my question to the nurse had nothing to do with me being a bug chaser, just in case someone wondered. It had to do with the fact that I knew I had sex with people that turned out to be HIV positive, so statistically it made no sense that I was still negative. Until that day.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 07:31:15 pm »
It can't all be about a generation gap as I'm 35 and aware of how things were, how things are and how so much has changed as well as how so much has not changed.

I serocoverted in 1999 though didn't receive my diagnosis until 2002. After my diagnosis I went through several years of wanting/needing to believe what the doctors were telling me, which in effect was that HIV is now a manageable chronic disease. At the time I believe it was clinging onto their words that stopped me washing down a bottle of painkillers with a bottle of vodka.

At some point and for a while I started wandering down the route of the dissidents/denialists avenues. I joined certain websites, purchased certain books and DVDs and for some time believed that HIV didn't cause AIDS and that people were simply being brainwashed into believing it did. I still keep an open mind to possibilities but I'm no longer ignorant or gullible.

After joining Aidsmeds and sitting back a little watching people and their lives, their truths unfold, after conversing and actually making friends with members such as Ann, Matty, Jonathan, Moffie, Penguin, Christine, Alanbama, DanielMark and many others, I finally let the whole truth sink in of what HIV/AIDS actually is for them and what it could be for me one day.

I still say 'could be for me' and not 'would be for me' as I don't have a crystal ball, therefore cannot foretell how my disease will pan out. If I think too long about it, it still terrifies me. Especially when I watch people I love struggling to cope with how their disease has panned out for them.   

I don't think I exaggerate when I say that as well as opening my eyes to the truth, the people I mentioned above (and others) and their life stories have more than likely, in the long run, saved my life or at the very least helped prolong it. 

After almost 5 challenging years of getting my head around my diagnosis (as well as how I was infected) I now refuse to allow myself to close my mind to the possibilities of how my life with HIV will pan out - as bitter a pill as it may be to swallow and as terrified as it may make me feel sometimes.

I do believe the message that HIV does not discriminate is NOT getting out there or, if it is, it simply is not getting out there enough. As a heterosexual woman I believe that, for the main part, the heterosexual community is still ignorant and complacent about how 'at risk' they actually are. To be honest, the only reason I knew I was negative when entering the relationship where I actually seroconverted was through a mandatory HIV test I took by default as part of a medical study I participated in prior to that relationship.   

I also believe people are being misinformed - for whatever reasons that may be - about how serious and debilitating a disease HIV/AIDS still remains - in spite of and often because of the advances being made in HIV meds.

I agree that WE as a whole society have failed and are still failing to get those important messages out there. If we hadn't failed/are not failing, so many young people wouldn't still be being diagnosed positive and so many wouldn't be being hoodwinked into believing that nowadays HIV/AIDS is simply a manageable chronic disease.

As long as HIV/AIDS continues to be ignored/scorned/glossed over/glammed up by the negative community and/or, even worse, by the positive community, then we (the positive community) will continue to be fighting a losing battle.

Also, as a teacher, I know that learning only comes with a willingness to learn.

Melia

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 08:55:46 pm »
I'm ever so thrilled to be recognized by you DashedHopes.

Wesley

I see no reason for name calling, it's very childish and serves no purpose, except to antagonize others, and this we can do without.

Thank you
Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 09:06:02 pm »
I'm not sure that the failure is in education.  Here is my story.  I tested poz at 41.  I knew that HIV was not "easy" or a "walk in the park".  I worked for a large HMO in Boston in the 90's and was responsible for reporting all HIV antibody tests and viral loads (back when "undetectable" meant less than 10,000).  In the late 90's I earned my Master's in Public Health, with an Epidemiology concentration.  I wrote a number of papers on HIV.  I made it through the 80's and 90's uninfected -- by only have safer sex (except with my partner -- of 17 years as of now).  I KNEW about HIV, I KNEW how devastating it was, even if it was no longer a death sentence for most in this country, I KNEW how to stay uninfected.  What happened??  My only explanation is complacency.  I found myself "topping" without a condom on occasion -- and this slowly progressed to bottoming, with no condom, but withdrawal and so on.  Obviously, something deep inside me (no puns, please  ;D) was concerned (remember, I KNEW things) because I stopped having anal sex with my partner, I'm sure now it was because I was afraid I'd pass something on to him.  I finally went and got tested and was shocked, but not surprised to hear "positive".  Thankfully, my partner tested negative and remains so today.
So, while I think education is vital, it isn't a panacea.  It is ONE tool in the arsenal.  We can do better at things like advertising my realistically, but the truth is, SEX SELLS -- and this is true for everything.  The positive community needs to be more open, but that is very difficult.  Doctor's need to do more questioning and educating.  There are probably tons of things that I'm not thinking of that would be helpful too.  However, at the end of the day, people will continue to seroconvert.  Why?  because we are human.  Because we all take calculated "risks" with our lives.  How many people here smoke, despite all the "education" out there?  How many people of overweight, despite all the "education" out there?  How many people drink and drug to excess, despite all the education out there.  I think you get my point.
I'm not saying we should give up -- not at all -- we need to continue with education and with finding new and innovative ways to do so.  What I am saying is that we can't expect to stop it without something like a preventative vaccine.  we can do our best to keep numbers as low as but possible, but as long as HIV remains transmissible, HIV will be transmitted.

My 2 cents,
Mike

(edited to correct a couple typos)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:08:40 pm by bocker3 »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 11:57:25 pm »
I'm ever so thrilled to be recognized by you DashedHopes.   If you expect respect and compasion then you should treat others the same way.   I was frankly appauled by the way you attacked one recent person in the I Just Tested Positive section.   Way to throw out the welcome mat!  If this is what being a long time survivor is all about then count me out of your dismal world!

Ugh! 

I counted you out a long time ago Austin. You are transparent and a phony and I stand behind every word I said to you or anyone else in the forum. Unlike you I don't have to resort to childish passive aggressive behavior to attack someone, but thanks for posting in this thread I learned alot and I appreciate your thoughts.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2007, 12:32:55 am »
LOL, where's the rest of the gang? 

You know I think you have a crush on me Dash, the way you follow me around like a puppy!   It's really something special!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 12:35:45 am »
LOL, where's the rest of the gang? 

You know I think you have a crush on me Dash, the way you follow me around like a puppy!   It's really something special!

Sorry girl, I like men.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2007, 12:42:27 am »
does posting and running count as passive aggressive or just chicken shit?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2007, 01:22:28 am »
Placing the blame on people MY age is so incredibly ignorant and a huge cop-out.
Did I know about HIV when I was infected? Duh. I was born in 1990 - me and everyone I know grew up hearing about it since the day we were born. It's always been a part of our world and it's always been something that was shoved down our throats every time we entered school.

In 8th grade, I remember a video they showed us. There was some guy, I don't even remember what he looked like now, but he was so painfully, obviously gay - and all he talked about on the video was how his boyfriend infected him and how he hoped that by talking on that video that some kid, SOMEWHERE wouldn't get infected because they heard what he had to say. Like I said, I don't even remember his face - but I can't help but feel such an overwhelming, way-too-goddamn-over-emotional feeling of just pure guilt every time I think about it.

I know what they were trying to do - and I know what they try to do to every pre-teen and teenager that ever walks into a health class in this country - they try to scare us. They terrify the shit out of us and I know that every single kid sitting in that classroom that day was SO uncomfortable. They couldn't wait until the goddamn bell rang so they could get the fuck out of there and away from the air in that classroom that I KNOW everyone in there felt had thickened and turned sour. It was a horrible feeling, but it didn't make anyone go out at the end of school that day and buy a pack of condoms. It just made them not want to think about it. It made them not want to even consider the fact that there was a disease out there that could make someone look like the man on that video looked. Or that could make someone cry and beg and plead like he had.

People think that we're stupid, or that we don't believe when people say that AIDS isn't a gay disease. I knew that, even as a gay kid, I knew that - so did every straight kid I went to school with.

But everyone assumes we're stupid. They don't bother teaching us about it, really. They tried to scare us about it so that that's all they have to deal with on the topic. No discussion about it.

I remember the neat little chart I had to fill out my freshman year for routes of transmission in my big poorly-copied packet of worksheets on STDs.

Want to know how to get HIV, kids? Fill in the goddamn blank and then pick your favorite.

Just tonight I got into an argument in a pizza place with four other gay guys I was hanging out with after a youth group meeting. How many times I had to shout, aggrivated, that you couldn't get HIV from spit or from giving someone head? Or how I had to deal with the looks on their faces (on the faces of four kids that I actually like) that said, Why the fuck do you care, anyway? Why are you getting so angry?

They didn't know, and before I was infected, I didn't know either. I didn't WANT to know. I know they didn't want to either, and I know that's why the conversation was eventually dropped and we went back to laughing and discussion how much we like so-and-so and who of us were coming back next week to meet up.

It's not their fault. And after two years I can honestly say it wasn't MY fault either. Yes, I knew better, I knew that I wasn't invincible. They know they're not invincible. Really, it's true - as much as most people would like to write off teenagers as some stupid but well-intentioned group of shitheaded kids. We'll listen if you tell us something - we might not admit it then, we might even laugh and make a joke about it to your face - because we have people to impress, I know. But I promise that later that night we'll be discussing it with our friends while we're spending the night together, or instant messaging someone on AIM and going God, I really should go get tested. I'm worried now.

The problem is no one wants to tell us shit. They want to scare us. They want to throw packets of useless information at us, and then they want to forget about it. And if we fuck up? Well, that's our fault now. We should have KNOWN better and now we're going to have to just suck it up and cope.

- Squeak
(who is in a pessimistic mood)

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 02:21:13 am »
Mouse~

I was wondering when I would see you in this thread.  I am so glad you posted your point of view in here.  I understand what you mean by the awkwardness and the scare tactics -- makes you want to run for the hills and nothing sinks in.  I wish there was something the Nation could do to get the info across in a more meaningful way, but that is where we are lacking. 

Thanks for chiming in tonight.

~Cindy

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 04:56:18 am »
Mouse if you knew about HIV and other STDs, how did you let it happen? That is the point I believe people are trying to make or should I say question. As for being scared, kids should be scared, look what you have been through.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2007, 06:23:38 am »
Rodney,

I think what Mouse is trying to say is that scare tactics, which are used in schools in place of REAL sexual health education, aren't working. Scare tactics do not inform, they only scare and make people turn off and put it out of their minds.

What kids today urgently need is honest and frank discussion on the proper use of condoms and when they should be used. Most schools aren't allowed to use the C word, much less teach kids how to use them.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 06:59:39 am »
I tested positive at age 28 in 1988. I knew HIV was out there but like most people I didn't think it could really happen to me. Why would someone I trusted turn out to be a major mistake? Talk about dumb! I don’t know that age has anything to do with poor decision making.

BUT, it was my mistake because I made a poor decision. The guy who passed this on to me is irrelevant. Regardless of age, I would guess (in most cases) we all made poor decisions regardless of who or what we are or else we wouldn't be infected now. In that respect, I don't see any generation gap whatsoever.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2007, 08:55:37 am »
Most schools aren't allowed to use the C word, much less teach kids how to use them.

Ann

That is so true.  When I go into schools to speak, we can tell how people get HIV, but cannot speak of one of the biggest ways to prevent it-condom use.  Just look at how the Bush administration cuts off aid to countries who won't promote abstinence-only.  It's ridiculous. 

I also fault magazines like Poz for making having HIV look like an adventure of a lifetime with their glittzy ads. 

About the younger generation, my daughter was born in 1984 and she has seen the ugly side of AIDS from my infection and several of my friends who have passed.  She uses condoms.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2007, 09:42:25 am »
Just ducking in to remind all that, if one focuses solely on knowledge available to people, new infections among Gay men occur in shocking numbers among all ages groups.  Over-simplifying the problem to the perceived invincibility of youth or the laziness of middle age does little to produce solutions.  Teaching Queermen to love themselves on all levels first and foremost and to discount peer pressure may also be too simplistic a suggested remedy.

Peace,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2007, 10:18:34 am »
I'm part of the "older" generation but I sympathize with the younger generation. Ideas that come from some LTS that I don't agree with include:

Younger people don't think AIDS is a big deal. Maybe it's living in NC but no one I know wouldn't freak out if they found out they had HIV. There are people I know who wouldn't want me to touch them or hold their baby if they knew I was HIV+. If HIV is no big deal then why do so many people on here get turned down for sex or dumped when they disclose their HIV status? It's still a big deal.

Education is going to stop HIV. The reality is many people knew all about HIV before they were infected. They knew about condoms. They knew friends and lovers that died. They became infected anyway, and I'm part of "they". Educating people about HIV and condoms is important but it won't solve the problem. It's not all about ignorance, it's about human nature.

You're naive to think medications are going to save you. If it wasn't for medications the LTS wouldn't be here. When I was diagnosed I was told I might live 5 years. Yet here I am 14 years later and my life is good. I've had side-effects and problems but the reality is 95% of the time I'm fine. Being told "just you wait, you're going to get sick" isn't productive. Medications keep improving and no one knows what the future holds. Being told I had 5 years screwed me up, particularly financially.

You don't appreciate my sacrifice. Respect is something that is given freely, you can't demand it. It's commendable to tell your story and the story of people who are no longer around to tell theirs. People will respond to honesty and true sacrifice. Telling people "you owe me" or "you're too young to understand" isn't going to earn any sympathy. As the saying goes "Get off the cross, we need the wood."

Offline Iggy

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2007, 10:31:49 am »
You're naive to think medications are going to save you. If it wasn't for medications the LTS wouldn't be here. When I was diagnosed I was told I might live 5 years. Yet here I am 14 years later and my life is good. I've had side-effects and problems but the reality is 95% of the time I'm fine. Being told "just you wait, you're going to get sick" isn't productive. Medications keep improving and no one knows what the future holds. Being told I had 5 years screwed me up, particularly financially.

You don't appreciate my sacrifice. Respect is something that is given freely, you can't demand it. It's commendable to tell your story and the story of people who are no longer around to tell theirs. People will respond to honesty and true sacrifice. Telling people "you owe me" or "you're too young to understand" isn't going to earn any sympathy. As the saying goes "Get off the cross, we need the wood."

I don't think I've ever seen any LTS say those things to be honest.

I know they often talk about how medications alone won't save your life and how many are ignorant on the long term effects of both meds and HIV - but I must not have noticed when anyone of them said that meds won't save your life.

As for them demanding appreciateion of their sacrifices - I've never seen that either.  I HAVE seen a frustration at people assuming everything they have gone through is just ancient history with no relevance to their life with HIV now.  I've also seen LTS demand that people respect the truths of established fact of what meds and HIV due to a body over the long term in response to when people say it's just a matter of eating well and having a happy demeanor.

Perhaps that cross you suggest they burn really is nothing more than a soapbox that both sides seems to be fighting over for the rights of?

Offline buca45

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2007, 10:45:10 am »
As a somewhat new member here (well, i have lurked for a long time) i thought it was time i just jumped in and let me thoughts known on this subject.
To me, it is pretty simple.
We are all responsible for ourselves...end of story.
There are several types of educational programs and materials out there. There are support groups for those gay youth who are having a problem with coming to terms with their orientation. There are older men (and women) who have done that whole "trying to find myself and who I am thing" so when it comes down to it, a person being infected in this day and age has no one or no circumstance to blame their new infection on but themselves.
As far as younger gay men thinking 1. "It will never happen to me, I am too young and too hot to mess around with anyone who isn't as hot as me so I don't need to worry.....I mean, hot guys are the safest, right?" 2. or the "No one understands me, no one else is gay...blah blah blah" we have all gone through that stuff already. if anything, it should prompt the younger, hotter (in their own minds) men to take extra precautions to keep themselves that way.
I am tired of hearing that old line, not enough education is available and more needs to be done to keep me safe....BS....it is all up to each person to keep themselves negative and not anyone else's fault when they do become infected.
Invincibility is just another word for ignorance.
When people make that decision to have sex, i am thinking they have also taken the time to make themselves as aware as possible to avoid hiv and STDs.
Do you think the young hotties who walk around with those oh so fabulous six pack abs and perfect high tight butts just wondered into a gym one day and picked up any weight or got on any machine just knowing that after a year or so they would be considered the cities newest hottest man? Not on your life. They read, studied and spoke to others they wanted to be like and followed the strict advice on what it took to achieve their goals to have that killer body. So why would that same kid just go out and f*^@ with the first man to offer a positive comment?
A rather drawn out explanation, but one that, if only to me makes the most sense.
JMHO...............
"Love and Laughter and Happiness Ever After"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2007, 12:05:39 pm »
Well, when I was in my teens, which is not when I got infected (I'm too old), I didn't give one rip about using condoms.  STDs at the time were seen as just something to go to the doctor for.  I never had any long-range plans as to what I was going to do with my life etc.....  I'm not saying that all teens are like this.  I'm an addict and so have addicted-type thinking.  Not all teens are addicts.  There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed with HIV.  There isn't  nearly enough support groups or education, at least in my town, for teens.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2007, 12:55:53 pm »
quote Iggy: " This may already have been stated, but I think it is more than a generation gap in age - it is also one of date of diagnosis."

I Agree...that this is the heart of the thread.
I, as a person over 60, cannot relate to most 20 somethings...but I can relate to being just diagnosed HIV positive.  So...we have that in common. Lets not allow a generation gap to prevent LTS folks from helping out.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2007, 02:03:29 pm »
The younger generation definitely don't think HIV/AIDS is a big deal.  There was a survey done here in the UK where 20% of 18-24 year olds thought there was a cure for HIV.  A quarter of the same age group thought that condoms had a hole in them that allowed the virus through anyway!

There are probably several reasons for this and a big one for me is probably the media.  Television and the Internet are so influential now yet I personally hardly ever see any mention of HIV/AIDS in the media unless you go looking for it.  Whenever there is it's normally a story about someone being sent to prison for deliberately infecting people, demonising all other HIV people in the process.

Despite all this however as Melia said if people aren't willing to educate themselves then what can you do?  I could have educated myself but I chose not to so I've only myself to blame no one else!

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2007, 02:26:05 pm »
After having invested years of my life in getting out preventative messages, I now just feel it was a waste.

Prevention is dead. Long live "Poz is fab", and hope for a vaccine/cure.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2007, 02:48:13 pm »
The younger generation definitely don't think HIV/AIDS is a big deal.  There was a survey done here in the UK where 20% of 18-24 year olds thought there was a cure for HIV.  A quarter of the same age group thought that condoms had a hole in them that allowed the virus through anyway!

After I disclosed to my 18-year old student in Greece she told me she felt so sad for me that I would never be able to have a relationship again. I asked her what she meant by that. It came to light that she believed you could contract HIV through kissing and even if you use condoms. I put her straight on both counts.

In the UK, when I disclosed to my 14 year old nephew (he was actually 13 at the time) he thought HIV had something to do with the bones. I disclosed to him because I knew he'd started sex-ed at high school and knew he was mature enough to know about me. Now, he's a smart kid and loves learning stuff, so I don't think it was a case of him not paying attention in class. I'm guessing (though of course may be wrong) that the topic of HIV/STDs was so glossed over or just thrown in with a whole bunch other stuff that it wasn't explained clearly.

When I disclosed to his brother who is 12 and also smart, he questioned (or more like grilled) me for over an hour, to the point where he understood about exactly how it is transmitted, the relationship between CD4 count and viral load, opportunistic infections and drug resistance. His interest/curiosity blew my mind that day and also made me incredibly proud.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: Whether 18, 14 or 12 years old, young folk will listen and learn with the right kind of approach and teaching.

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2007, 02:53:43 pm »
After having invested years of my life in getting out preventative messages, I now just feel it was a waste.

Again, speaking as a teacher, Brent I can assure you that even though your activism over the years may not have educated or changed the masses, it will more than likely have made a difference to at least one person. That matters. Please don't give up on that. We need good folk like you alongside us fighting our corner.

Bisous
Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2007, 03:41:51 pm »
And latin....sweeping generalisations re gays methinks and THERE ARE sex clubs for straights!

Tigger, I guess I am sooo Queer, I haven't developed the St8dar :)

Are there reaaly str8 sex-clubs like our gay dark-rroms?

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.