Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 358
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Removed  (Read 6260 times)

Offline newbernswiss

Removed
« on: November 02, 2007, 09:37:50 am »
 :'(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:28:50 pm by newbernswiss »

Offline Basquo

Re: Offensive Words........
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:48:56 am »
I'm not getting FREE meds, or FREE healthcare, in fact I'm paying OUT THE OFFENSIVE ASS for it. Try working in healthcare in America and see how expensive insurance is.  I have to pay for parking when I donate blood for the clinical trial I'm in.  So don't include me in your sweeping generality that eveything is FREE for everybody because I find that OFFENSIVE.

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:00:29 am »
I understand what you are trying to say newbernswiss... though i slightly disagree...

you cannot equal the fight of first generation aids activists to the fights on this forums... The activists fight was matter of life or death... here on the forums, the discussions are usually not that crucial, therefore the need of RESPECT other's opinions.

Truth sometimes we are too sensitive, but it is also Truth that sometimes we are too offensive as well, the main point would be to remember the fight is not among us, but against bureaucracy and negligency.

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline newbernswiss

removed post
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:08:23 am »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:29:35 pm by newbernswiss »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:14:04 am »
I fail to see how allowing homophobic, misogynistic, racist or similar comments to be posted on this forum would lead to any sort of social or economic progress or positive change.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:19:33 am »
I think these are two different things. Political activism comes in many forms, one of which is in your face protesting such as ACT UP did in the early years.  It was necessary and needed. However when dealing with individuals in a support type setting such as this or even in a meeting planning a demonstration one should be respectful of others. Internet communication is great but it leaves out a listeners ability to interpret what is stated because their is no voice inflection to hear or body language to read. If I am with a group of friends at a bar and one of them says, "You're such a fag", I am not going to be offended. However, upon leaving the bar a car drives by and someone yells "FAG", of course I am offended. Everything is a matter of context and intent.

Woods

edited to correct grammar
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:56:35 am by woodshere »
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline newbernswiss

Removed posts
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:13:49 am »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:30:10 pm by newbernswiss »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 11:16:45 am »
I do get your point, and am not sure I agree with it 100%, but the "free" part was what doesn't apply to me.

Thanks,
B

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 11:17:12 am »
I don't take offense to you venting, we all need to from time to time. But I just briefly glanced at what you were saying, I will have more to add later on.......Just remember for every action (as in starting this thread) there is a reaction...Some may take offense for what you said or vice versa....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 11:20:34 am »
There's a difference, seriously.

I have been on forums where you get screamed at by moderators if you use the word 'bitching' because it suggests a misogynistic meaning. That's just ridiculous. There are certain words that should or shouldn't be used depending on the context, and I think that for the most people the mods here are pretty reasonable about that. I can't recall ever being yelled at for calling myself a fag, but calling someone else here a fag in a hostile way is definitely not appropriate.

You're always going to disagree with how moderators moderate. It's a rule of the internet. But trust me, things could be a thousand times worse here.

Offline newbernswiss

Removed post
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 11:53:29 am »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:30:42 pm by newbernswiss »

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 11:59:14 am »
Just FYI,

Click on the SEARCH tab on our fourm and just type in the word OFFENSIVE.....get my drift.

Everything is offensive to some person and there is usually someone who is offended by everything. I don't see how that's relevant to this forum - that goes for all places. Sometimes people just want an excuse to start a fight or to make it seem like they're morally superior or something so they seem like the good guy if they're in the middle of an argument and losing. As long as you aren't getting in trouble for it, you should just ignore it.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 03:31:35 pm »
I had to reread your thoughts a few times.....Here is my take on it....

I really don't get into the political part of anything, I kinda just observe and learn. From what I can see in the political ring there is never going to be a point where all sides agree. And during time one party will always hold more power than the other, it will never be equal. I also agree with you that if the activists of the 80's would've just sat back and not spoken up, we would not have the rights we do today.

"Everyday that I sign on to Aidsmeds.com I read how someone is offended by this comment, this word, this subject, and on and on and on. The global world has become one big SENSITIVE, OFFENSIVE, WOUND.
When I place my fingers on the keyboard to type my OPINIONS, my THOUGHTS, my FEELINGS, my EMOTIONS, I now think about who am I offending with these words, who will report me for my opinions. Will I get kicked off aidsmeds.com for just stating my own personal opinion, right or wrong. Will I get fired at work for stating "I'm a fag" and not saying "I'm gay, will I get sued for stating in my personal ad that "I'm not looking for a fat person" and not stating "I'm looking for weight proportionate", Will I get kicked off Aidsmeds.com if I state "I'm a "cracker" and not state "I'm white". What the hell. Is the WORLD that SENSITIVE...do we forget where we came from and how we got here."

I understand all this as well but it comes down to a matter of respect, at least I think so. I don't think anyone has a problem with another members stating their opinion but there has to be a polite way to go about it or in other words, some sort of rules. If there wasn't any in place around here, no one would be getting their points across at all, it would be more like an all out war with nothing but insults, don't ya think?
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline newbernswiss

Removed post
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 03:56:57 pm »
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 07:31:54 pm by newbernswiss »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 04:07:16 pm »
i'm largely of the mind that words in and of themselves aren't really what's offensive, but rather attitudes are.  it's the spirit in which they are uttered that's most often the culprit.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline 404error

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 04:14:38 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree with the initial post of this thread.  We've become a society that is hypersensitive to anything that doesn't suggest we are 100% great the way we are.  Be it; black, white, fat, skinny, democrat or republican.  I definitely don't buy into this garbage.  I will admit that I think about what I say before I type it on here because I realize that there are sick people who access these forums who don't need the extra aggrivation in their lives.  That said, in "real life" I do no such thing.  I speak my mind, I say exactly what I want to with no regard for the hurt feelings of (insert identifiable group here.)  In censoring myself I find I often lose some of the punch that comes in making a strong point.  I'm not here to quell the insecurities of others.  It's come to the point that we have to like and be accepting of all people.  What's wrong with saying "I don't like ______s."  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  It seems more natural to me to say something like that than it is to accomodate everyone all the time, especially on a global scale.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 04:25:44 pm by UpAllNight »
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Iggy

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 06:09:49 pm »
This thread is irony....pure irony

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 06:28:57 pm »
The minute I started reading this thread I knew uh oh. A thread about misunderstandings seems by definition and experience to be destined to be ...misunderstood.

Still, I would like to believe that Iggy is right and it's all pure irony.

As far as healthcare costs are concerned, the comments posted here totally explain why I spent hours earlier today leafleting at NY State insurance hearings in support of SINGLE PAYER. And why I will continue to efforts to accomplish that so that everyone who resides in this country is covered for everything.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:04 pm »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 06:44:19 pm »
Irony huh...Not sure what to make of that...But what comes to mind is Madonna's song Human Nature....The words are listed in Thunter Bunny's Lyrics thread....I think some should read the words and fill in the blanks.....*sings* Did I say something wrong, Opps I didn't know we couldn't talk about____________......Did I say something true, Oh, I didn't know we couldn't talk about YOU......*walks out and closes the door*
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 07:11:17 pm »
That said, in "real life" I do no such thing.  I speak my mind, I say exactly what I want to with no regard for the hurt feelings of (insert identifiable group here.) 

You must be very popular at parties. :D

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Removed
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 07:34:55 pm »
[delete alert]

Great.  Now this thread makes no sense.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 07:45:29 pm »
[delete alert]

Great.  Now this thread makes no sense.

Now THAT I find offensive. 

>:(

I swear to God, one of these days I am going to completely get myself in the habit of quoting every post above mine AND the original thread post.

Have some fuckin' backbone, people.  Stand by your words...and let your words stand, dammit.  If your have a change of heart or mind later, post THAT also. 

Allow people to know you as someone who can change and grow or maybe make foolish mistakes and learn from them rather than as someone who sweeps his footprints behind him.

dagnabbit.  excuse the rant, but this is my BIG forum pet peeve.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 07:47:59 pm »
It's utterly appalling.

Rest assured Matty the Damned is searching his web cache to see if he still has the now removed text on his filesystem

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 08:41:01 pm »
I guess we OFFENDED newbernswiss. ::)

~sigh~

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline 404error

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 11:41:06 pm »
You must be very popular at parties.

I am and I'm not.  Popularity is often overrated anyways.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 02:25:28 am »
I guess we OFFENDED newbernswiss

I quess we did..glad I didn't actually get around to reading it..seems I didn't miss much..oh well, back to being less OFFENED by the other posts... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.