Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:11:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 531
Total: 531

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My sister's getting married.  (Read 7425 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
My sister's getting married.
« on: March 07, 2007, 07:18:07 pm »
How nice for her.  I'm happy she's happy, etc.  We have almost nothing in common whatsoever, and even if you were to see us next to each other, the only way you'd be able to tell that we're related is because of how we act around each other.

But we get along extremely well for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, so I'm very glad for her...

Although... it's so very interesting to see how my parents and family respond to her relationships and how they respond to mine.

You know... in that they talk about hers and are happy for her and shit.

I'm not gonna pretend like the bile isn't rising up... but I'm choking it back down so as not to cause any family drama. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: My sister's getting married.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 07:19:17 pm »
Well just so long as she's not marrying a goy, darling.

MtD

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 07:25:29 pm »
You are serving in the wedding, yes?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:28:02 pm »
Matty... her she's marrying a guy with the last name... and I shit you not about this... Fuhrer.  The whole family finds it HIL-arious!

Mmjel?  Serving in the wedding?  What do you mean?  Like to be in wedding party?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:30:46 pm »
Matty... her she's marrying a guy with the last name... and I shit you not about this... Fuhrer.  The whole family finds it HIL-arious!

Oy gevalt, bubeleh! I think I just plotzed, already! The bebe's will kvell!

MtD
(Whose gentile ribs are aching from all the laughter, why not!)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:32:16 pm »
I just hope you can distinguish between the intolerance of your parents, versus your sister.  Unless she demonstrates the same bigotry toward your relationships, you should be happy for her and maybe she could help to reshape your parents views?  I understand swallowing the bile and while I salute your remaining calm, at some point I believe you need to stand your ground.

When my mother died, my father just could not cope with a gay son and he made it very plain to me, going so far as to not invite my partner of four years to his wedding (the guy who gave the eulogy at my mom's funeral) and that was about the last time we spoke.  I told him in no uncertain terms how his feelings and comments hurt me and that if he was unable to meet me, at least half way, well then I was better off without him than with a father who could not accept me for who I was.  I moved out of state very soon after and then he came down with dementia and eventually Alzheimer's and we really never spoke again.

Do I have regrets?  Not really.  At some point we must decide on what we will or will not accept and I wish you the best on your journey to find your own limits.

Offline Lis

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 07:32:46 pm »
benj.... under no circumstances are you to touch the dress....

step AWAY FROM THE DRESS!!!!!

no worries... we will marry you off soon!!!
poz 1986....

Offline mjmel

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 07:35:33 pm »
Yeah. Sis gets married. Brother Benj is one of the bridesgrooms...part of the wedding party. It's NORMAL stuff, really.

P.S. Show up with your roommate.   hee hee  ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:38:02 pm by mjmel »

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 07:37:04 pm »
I'm getting verklempt!

Of course I'm happy for her... but it's just a little galling to see the difference in my parents' reaction... and I'm sure there will come a time to stand my ground.  But this ain't it. 

And Lis, I have no plans on touching that dress... except for a few snide comments to hear about her plans for wearing white.  Because I know... oh God, do I know!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 07:38:13 pm »
Yeah. Sis gets married. Brother Benj is one of the bridesgrooms...part of the wedding party. It's NORMAL stuff, really.

She hasn't mentioned it to me.  I would definitely do it if she asked.

I don't plan on bringing it up until she does... it is her wedding, after all.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 07:38:40 pm »
that's so cool.

I am sure you gonna look real handsome in the wedding, make sure you take plenty of pictures of yourself and remember, it's your sister's wedding so don't try to steal the spotlight by wearing white or looking prettier than her.. Got it?
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 07:40:32 pm »
that's so cool.

I am sure you gonna look real handsome in the wedding, make sure you take plenty of pictures of yourself and remember, it's your sister's wedding so don't try to steal the spotlight by wearing white or looking prettier than her.. Got it?

I'm just planning on free drinks.   ;)

But the union of Fuhrer and Jaworowski... the sheer hilarity could only be upstaged by... well... 1939.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:45:00 pm »
Try and see if you can get Leni Riefenstahl to do the wedding video. I hear she does good work :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 07:45:41 pm »
A so-called "reality" theatre thingie ran for years and years here in NY -- TINA & TONY'S WEDDING.

So maybe just dig the whole event as a theatre piece where you happen to know all the main characters?

And you get to see all those people modeling preview gear that will be worn at Wigstock 2050. For instance, the bridesmaids' dresses are usually VERY SPECIAL.

If it helps keep in mind you can report all the unfolding details to an appreciative audience here in the Nuptual Thread. Maybe even have a laptop AT the wedding?    

Andy Velez

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:46:45 pm »
Try and see if you can get Leni Riefenstahl to do the wedding video. I hear she does good work :)

"Triumph of the Pills."

Which I will undoubtedly take beforehand.  I am not a fan of weddings.

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 07:49:29 pm »
A so-called "reality" theatre thingie ran for years and years here in NY -- TINA & TONY'S WEDDING.

OMG Andy, I so loved that off broadway show. It was so Italian... I loved the Grandmother... the food sucked though, didn't it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 07:54:22 pm »
Before they moved it uptown to somewhere around Broadway, while it was playing at the church here in the Village where it started, we'd regularly see the actors and audience trooping to the restaurant after "the wedding."

There was something actually kinda funereal about it. I think the food was just re-served from performance to performance until it was finally finished. You must have hit it on a seriously warmed over night.

Depending on the cast changes, sometimes the groom was gayer looking than at other times. 

Oh and if the wedding party is looking for music suggestions, I really, REALLY love Etta James' STOP THE WEDDING!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:00:36 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 09:32:08 pm »
Do one of the Groomsmen... preferablly on the premesis, but take what you can get.
Barring that, make sure you catch the bouquet. Even if you have to throw an elbow into some chicks windpipe. And dont forget the Toast....make sure youve killed at least two bottles of bubbly and done a shot ( your choice  ;))  beforehand... 

Nobody ever invites me to weddings,, can I be your date ??  Ill bring a camcorder and a flask. ( and I put out at a ridiculously low blood alcohol level  ;D)
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 09:33:31 pm »
Nobody ever invites me to weddings,, can I be your date ??  Ill bring a camcorder and a flask.

Brilliant!

Why do I think that would be nothing bt trouble?

You should come!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 09:41:16 pm »
And Benj, if it all goes horribly wrong, remind those schmucks that you're skilled in that most Deadly Art of the Chosen People:

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 09:50:19 pm »
"Triumph of the Pills."

Which I will undoubtedly take beforehand.  I am not a fan of weddings.

Benji, I love you. It is a deep and abiding love. You just ought to know.

Jonathan
(who is not "gotten" often enough )

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:15 pm »
If Jonathon or Lwood can't go take Philly or Boo Radely, they seem like people who don't cause much trouble or drama.. uhum..

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 11:14:12 pm »
You know... in that they talk about hers and are happy for her and shit.

Your mother would adore me... they always do.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.