Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:15:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 234
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly diagnosed - Is anyone experiencing or experienced hair loss w/ illness???  (Read 13727 times)

Offline 2Live

Hello everyone out there - I'm incredibly happy to know there is a section for us here.  I have to say since finding out im + for 4 mo. has incredibly been draining on all aspects (spiritual/mental & physical).  I never thought this would happen (but who does).  I let my guard down w/ someone I truly trusted in a committed relationship with for 3 yrs. & he has transmitted this to me & he does not know yet. I havent had the courage to tell him.   But I know he has this & am afraid he will not understand upon me telling him. I think he's a carrier who still does not know he has it b/c he does not have any symptoms.  That's so scary.  I found out b/c one day going to the dr.'s for a routine physical, they told me my WBC was lowon my blood test & I did not think anything of it.  1 mo. later I find out Im +.  My life has now changed in a blink of an eye, literally.  I went through the bouts of side effects from the meds. (truvada/norvir/reyataz). lost alot of weight due to vomitting & diarrhea. Now I'm better but in the last 2 mo. my hair is thinning & falling out at incredible rates. It's very obvious & it's starting to affect me b/c Ihave to go to work in a corporate setting _ I really cant where a hat (smiling) @ work.  Is this temporary or will I end up becoming utterly bald??? Glad u guys are here. God Bless all out there in the fight & the struggle to persevere w/ this "+" journey.  :-[

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
I haven't noticed any hair loss on my part and have been on meds for a year and a half. I do know that stress can cause hair loss,you should also ask your doctor about this.. Cristy

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
2live,

I agree with Cristy, that stress is factor in hair loss.  You may want to talk to the doctors about the loss of hair.  It could also be that you lost so much weight due to the diarrheah and vomiting, and the vitamin loss from all that.

I hope things start to turn around for you soon.

Take care.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Christine

In 2001 I was in the hospital for awhile, and a lot of my hair fell out. The doctor thought is was from the stress and trauma of being ill, and hospitalized.

My hair did grow back, a little thicker and with some curl in it, so I was actually happy since I had always had stick, straight, thin, hair. I was not happy when it was falling out, but after, when it grew back in.

Talk to the doctor about it.

And also, talk to your hair dresser about it. No need to go into specific detail about why if you don't want to. Just say stress...The hair dresser may be able to suggest a different cut or style that can camouflage the loss, or a product that can help the hair appear thicker.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Coffeechick88

When I was first diagnosed, I was very sick and unhealthy.  My hair fell out in clumps.  I think mine was part stress and part malnutrition from just being ill.  I luckily didn't have side effects with meds, and eventually my hair grew back, and much better than before.  I used to have fine hair, but now it is thick, shiny, and healthy.  I would definitely go to the doctor.  The hair stylists do help (though I was at the point it wasn't possible to hide it all).  Mine didn't ask questions, though later on when she saw me in my healthier state, she asked if my cancer was in remission--I never once said I had cancer, but she must have equated a 20 year old losing hair with being on chemo.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Lis

Hi !

please be sure that you have your thyroid checked when you get labs next... I had bald spots, and found that my blond turned grey... I am on that same cocktail, ... dont know if that helps, but hang in there
poz 1986....

Offline franfrog

I, upon diagnosis was also having hair loss for almost a month ot two before hand..  Unfortunatly when I was diagnosed my numbers were horrible.  My doctor said this was a side effect from such a poor immune system.  If your numbers are not bad then I would tend to guess it is the stress.  My hair has not grown back to much yet but I have been trying to keep it somewhat short to look fuller.   
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Hi there

I agree with the rest of the ladies I think it is probably stress causing your problems.

In the first couple of months of my diagnosis and after a bad seroconversion I suffered some hair loss...this was definitely put down to stress.

Like Fran I keep my hair on the shorter side (especially on the top) layers help to give the hair a bit of body and gives a fuller look, gel helps too.

Take care
Hugs
Jan :-*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline panda

hi, i got infected about 14 years ago, the infection has immediate implication such as hair liss, by i treated it immediate, cut my hair and used aa special shampo and such, after ny body started to recover my hair started to grow all over again,

Offline queenie

how r u today, i have 3 things to address -
1 - i had hair loss, and found out not from the doctors but others that the meds can be part of the problem
the other is probably your stress
2 - if you believe he gave it to you why are you afraid to tell him.  I too got it from someone I was with
for 4 years. but I couldnt prove it but certain things he did left no doubt - from the start i told him that
how our pasts COULD one may catch up to us. so when i found out i did not blame him, even though
when i took him back for his results he came out saying he was neg. but never showed me the paper.
we stayed together for 2 more years, him acting like he was doing me a favor. I dont need favors
He would never wear a condom no matter what., after we broke up and he was with somenew we still
had sex with a condom. even though he lived with someone else.
3 - you are going thru all of this but you talk as if your man doesnt see how sick you are, does he ask what
is wrong with you, how do you explain yourself.
one more thing, just because you were diagnosed after being with him, doesnt mean he gave it to you
and if you cared so much about him and truly believe he did it, and you are 100% hes the only possibility
why would you not tell him.
now they can tell when u got it, so have him get tested and show you the results,
If he is innocent, you may end up quilty of knowing infecting him
if he did do something, as mine did, so evil, willing to kill me- remember this from my heart to yours,
you will not be able to grasp the reality of why or how he would do this to you, if you dont know what
being in denial feels  like, you will and it is unbelievably overwhelming, it took me 3 years trying to let
make sense of such evil. it can drive you crazy slowing, one day i had to decide to either keep trying
to get around the denial always floating above me, and just have that nervous breakdown, or find]
the strength to just let it go. i he would never admit it and without proof I couldnt accuse him. and
even though common sense said it was him.  the truth is that a part of me new it possible that i was
infected before i met him. I was always honest he was not. I started getting sick the first year together
than a year later.  I truly believe we both had it, but his was a different strain from mine. I also found out
he had herpes two years before we met, he never said a word to me.
if you need to talk it our, you can email me DC22NY@YAHOO.COM - IT IS NOT EASY DOING THIS ALONE :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Another thing that might be causing this is your recent loss of weight.  Women who are bulemic or anorexic (I'm not saying this is your problem) and lose a lot of weight all have hair loss.  And I agree to get your thyroid checked. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Imma_poz

Hi,
I loss my hair each time I change therapy. Don't forget that the active principle of our med is the same as the chemotherapy  ;)

Sorry for my english....I'm italian  :)
Imma

Offline ubotts

???Hello there.
Ive been hiv pos since 1987, i started taking meds in 2002, but just recently
(well within the last yr) i notice i have lost alot of hair, and my hair was curly
and thick ..all that has changed..My hair was my pride..and iam a hairdresser as well..
I still dont know why iam losing hair..Ive been on combivir and Kaletra for 3 yrs now and dont know why iam losing my hair..it sucks..I just hope it grows back.
My stress level isnt too bad, so i dont kow if its the meds or what..
In the same boat as u when it comes to hair loss and dont know why myself.
Just because iam a hairdresser, doesnt mean we have the answers to this
condition..Has anyone else besides the women who posted this tread losing
hair as well?  opinions please..thank u.. ???
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline PompanoDiva

I almost went bald after being poz about 10 years. I was infected in '88 and by 1997....just before going on meds I was almost bald. It was not the stress.... My thyroid looked fine... It was that my pituitary glad was not telling the hypothalamus to produce the hormone to tell the thyroid to produce the thyroid hormone!! Sounds crazy but unchecked HIV messes with your brain that way. I started the synthroid and my thyroid levels started to go back to normal but I didn't get any hair. I had NO hair...not anywhere. Just a little bit on my head....I started the regular thyroid hormone made from pulverized animal thyroid gland and then my hair grew in.... like crazy it grew. I now have waist length beautiful hair and take my thyroid pills as religiously as my hiv meds.  Hope that this helps you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.