Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 02:32:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 173
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 168
Total: 168

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 3 months now...  (Read 5228 times)

Offline notaswede

3 months now...
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:02:46 am »
Hey everyone,

after only observing for a couple of weeks, i feel like it is time to jump in and introduce myself. As you can see from my handle, I'm not a swede, yet I'm currently living in this wonderful but cold country. Here is also where my story with HIV starts...

Back in December i began having quite severe stomach problems, which my doctor attributed to stress and not eating right (curious, because people in Sweden generally have no stress - at least compared to other countries). For two to three weeks it was really bad, but then it cleared up.

Fast forward to January. While visiting Germany, i had an encounter with a guy that left me slightly uneasy (i was bottoming and he was behaving very strangely towards the end). I wasn't sure if he had the condom on for the entire time and he was evasive. So, good boy that I am (well, maybe I shouldn't call myself a boy anymore at 32), i went to the next emergency room and arranged for PEP. During this they also took a blood sample and sent it off for testing.

About a week later i received a fax with the request to call them about the results (this led to a sleepless night, as the original arrangement was for them to just send the results). Lo and behold - i had tested positive for HIV (ELISA and Western-Blot).

Well, the first two days were a little rough, but then my usual optimism kicked in again and i started researching the little bastard. When i came in for the confirmatory test, I was again a happy puppy and loaded with a lot of information about HIV.

Needless to say that the second test showed the same result. Unfortunately, the doctors refused to take CD4 and viral load counts, citing me being on PEP as the reasons. They asked me to discontinue it and wait a month before getting these tests done.

Due to a lot of traveling and other stresses, I ended up getting my first tests done at the beginning of April. CD4 was 320 (forgot to ask about %), VL at 73000. Next appointment is end of May and then we will discuss starting treatment.

While this whole shit is sometimes certainly a drag (and limits my future options as to where to live), i have maintained a positive outlook on life and I'm happy that my significant other has remained negative.

So, that's my story.

NotASwede

PS: I have a test from mid-2011 that is negative and also very strong indications that i must have remained negative until mid-2012. Is it usual to get that low numbers in such a short amount of time? Or could it be that my numbers are on the rebound after the initial infection?

Offline texaninnyc87

Re: 3 months now...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:24:57 pm »
Hey, welcome to the forums. Sorry about your DX, but there is a lot of good information on here. It seems like you're a smart guy who is dealing with this all pretty well, so good job with that!

In terms of your cd4 count...who knows how high it was before you were infected? maybe your counts hovered in the 500-700 range then, in which case a count in the 300's wouldnt be that drastic of a change. its a shame you didnt get the % because that would tell us a bit more. cd4s can vary by many points from day to day for a number of reasons; sleep; exercise; stress etc. that in addition to not knowing the exact date you seroconverted leaves a lot of variables to consider when trying to determine why your counts are where they are. there is also the fact that after seroconversion a lot of people experience a sudden drop in cd4s that will naturally rebound as their body begins to try fighting the virus. perhaps you are in the "rebound phase"?

hopefully this helped a little? im sure someone much more knowledgable will chime in soon with more to say, but in the mean time just keep researching and hold on to that great attitude! welcome again.
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 05:12:38 pm »
Notaswede;

It is good to see that you aren't letting this get you down.

Welcome to the forums,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:12:00 pm »
Welcome Swede ;)

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry this is happening to you, but it seems like you got a good grip on things.

Your numbers aren't terribly bad and it's a good thing you found out about your status now rather than later.

Keep in touch and let us know how the doc's appt goes.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:36:39 pm »
Welcome to the forums, although I am sorry you had to find us.  If I understand you correctly, you don't believe the stomach issues in December had anything to do with HIV infection.  You believe the infection occurred, during sex in January? 

Do you know he removed the condom?  If he did, that is despicable.  Again, welcome and I look forward to hearing more from you. 

Ted

Offline notaswede

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 04:07:22 am »
Thank you everyone for your comments.

My personal belief is that the stomach trouble in December was a symptom of my primary infection (together with some hair loss). The encounter in January just led me to get tested.

Regarding January: I'm not 100% sure if he removed the condom, but i have a strong suspicion. Yet, in the end it turned out to be a good thing, because i wouldn't have gotten tested for some time if that incident had not occurred. I always played safe(r) and while i was aware that there is always a small risk, i had no immediate concerns.

Offline Pozdudesh

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:17 am »
I had exact same issues before my DX. Hair lost n stomach problem...after one year meds, I am having a full bush again:) Sorry u have to be here, but u will be just fine like all of us.
Best
Chris

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.