Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:53:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 242
Total: 242

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It's Time for the Community to Take Back HIV Care and Treatment  (Read 8745 times)

Offline Tim Horn

It's Time for the Community to Take Back HIV Care and Treatment
« on: September 14, 2011, 01:34:49 pm »
Wonderful blog entry by David Evans.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: It's Time for the Community to Take Back HIV Care and Treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:28:51 pm »
You're right Tim - absolutely excellent.... it made me sit back and ask myself what more could I should I be doing.

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:31:45 pm »
Excellent, and very truthful, article from David (whom I miss dearly --and I am glad that we get to see some of his current work).  Thank you for sharing.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:41:57 pm »
Thanks, David.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:07:29 pm »
excellent article.

for all the reasons listed in that article, I feel lucky, no, as much as I hate to say it, I feel blessed to have moved into a part of rural South Carolina (of all places!) with an ASO (Catawba Care) that fulfills all of those requirements.

Some people think when I speak about the volunteer work that I do with them, that I'm bragging about myself; but that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm bragging about, not only the incredible care that this ASO offers to it's clients keeping them adherent and health; but bragging about the extraordinary prevention/eductation outreach they do to the community to try to stem the tide of the epidemic in a state that keeps climbing up the list of states with the highest new infection rates. True, I am a bit proud to be helping this ASO and being a part of the work they do; but they have been doing this work for the past 10 yrs and long before I got here.

Having lived in Ohio for 20 yrs without an ASO, and now having access to this ASO, I agree with all the issues David had in article, and only wish that more people had access to a clinic like mine or lived close enough to be a part of this ASO. ;) If a little place like Catawba Care, serving 3 counties, can resolve all those problems David listed, surely clients can (and should!) help their ASO to change and be what they should be.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:54:59 pm »
Ummmm Ok...now back to David.

Excellent article David, I'm glad we are all still able to keep in touch through your blogs...thanks again for a great article.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 12:34:48 am »
Hey David, stellar article in both tone and suggested strategies to improve HIV service delivery.  Keep fighting the good fight.

Joe

Offline I_care

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 01:21:25 pm »
I would love to get involved with anyone who supports the #OccupyWallStreet movement and thinks it has potential to affect change in this country, especially regarding healthcare and big pharmaceutical corporations who buy elections in our current system of govt. I'm new here, my first post, so any helpful tips or reasonable conversations are encouraged to drop me a note

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 02:05:05 pm »
I'm so grateful and humble to live in a city large enough to have it's own HIV care clinic , most don't have that type of luxury, if it wasn't for The Truman-Street-HIV/AIDS-Clinic here in Albuquerque, I'd probably be DEAD..to the people living w/ HIV/AIDS on State waiting list to get basic services and Meds is just down-right deplorable to me, it makes me just wanna cry, and I don't understand THIS disconnect within our communities
YES people still die of Aids without the basic care programs that are still highly needed  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 02:21:30 pm »
Awesome thread here!  Mostly an optimist here, and I do think better days will come but only through hard work not indolence. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.