Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:28:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 391
Total: 392

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nauseating Smells!  (Read 6935 times)

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
Nauseating Smells!
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:47:39 am »
If there is one smell I cannot stand, it’s the smell of cooking pancakes.  Today at work we’re having a benefit breakfast for the United Way and wouldn’t you know it – they’re cooking pancakes (and sausage) in the conference room next to my cube. 

I don’t know where I developed this issue, but the smell drives me up the wall, especially when it clings to clothing and hair ALL DAY LONG.  I won’t even stay at a bed and breakfast for this very reason (due to a pancake incident in the Black Hills this summer  >:( ).

What smells (other than feces) drive you nuts?

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: Nauseating Smells!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:13:16 am »
Dorito breath, and peanut butter breathe both make me gag. :-X
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 12:31:37 pm »
Sloppy Joe's! I absolutely cannot abide the smell of this shit when it's cooking! My dad and my brother loved sloppy Joe's, but I would leave the house when  the sauce was cooking 'cuz it made me want to blow chunks.
                       Capt. Carl (Who, contrary to popular belief, does NOT have a dog named Chunks)
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:39:22 pm »
The smell of olives can really turn my stomach and for once this is my mothers fault.  She used to buy olive-loaf which is comprised of some meat product, infused with olives, formed into a loaf and then sliced for use on sandwiches.  Then again, there were those tuna pies infused with peas and corn and baked in a pie crust, I could not even be in the house when she made those.

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 12:45:30 pm »
The smell of olives can really turn my stomach and for once this is my mothers fault.

Wow, I never realized Olives had a smell.  I'm going to have to check this out when I go home tonight.   :)

Jason (who loves olives, especially in a dirty martini)

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 02:10:32 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:24:28 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 08:35:08 am »

Three at the top of my list:

--  Sour milk (probably the worst of the three.)  However I read somewhere that one can extend the life of milk somewhat by putting 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in the milk and shaking it.  It works.

--  Onions (close runner-up.)  I can't take them in any form or fashion...can't even be near them.

--  Kitty cat's stools in the litterbox.  I solve that by holding my nose with one hand while scooping with my other.

At one time I would have added ammonia to this list, but I seem to have desensitized to it a bit now.  It's a good window-washer when added to water.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 11:28:37 am »

The smell of someone’s bad breath when you’re speaking with them. Especially if it’s the smell of alcohol early in the day.

:-\

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 11:39:45 am »
The smell of someone’s bad breath when you’re speaking with them. Especially if it’s the smell of alcohol early in the day.

:-\

Good one...  That's totally where I breathe through my mouth!

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 01:37:37 pm »
Asparagus urine.... I love asparagus but it definitely makes for some repulsive Pee Pee.  A close second is vomit, I was once on a plane next to a kid that spent the first half of the flight eating a bag of Cheetos, and the second half of the flight throwing them up   into the airsick bag.. the smell of Bile and Processed Cheese will forever be with me.
Once in New Orleans, they were doing some kind of work on the sewer and the smell of Human Shit in the Louisiana summer heat was almost  lethal. Kinda killed Lunch.
 Another one is Lagerfeld Cologne, there used to be so many queens wearing that crap at a Bar I used to hang out in that I could smell it on my clothes the next day. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:39:18 pm by Lwood »
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 08:22:11 pm »
Oranges. I hate the smell of oranges. Like many epileptics I experience what's called an "aura" prior to having a seizure. An aura can be any sensation (sight, sound, taste etc) but for most of us it's a smell.

MIne happens to be the overpowering stench of fresh oranges.

MtD
(Who defies anyone to top that)

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 10:08:15 pm »
MSP...if you don't like the smell of pancakes cooking, I can only imagine your thoughts about pancake batter, which by the way bears a remarkable similarity to...um...how do you put in "nicely"....um...can't.  It smells like cum.  Seriously, take a whiff.

The smell that gets me the most, and thank God I don't have to smell it ever again (hopefully), is from when I was deployed to Somalia.  After the "Blackhawk Down" incident, the first hallway of the field hospital I was working at smelled of burning (burned) hair and flesh for weeks.  It was worse than ANY operating room I have ever been in.  I couldn't walk down that hallway, I would leave the "building" through the door in my section and walk around the hospital to get where I needed to go.  It was nasty.  Every once in a while I'll have one of those sensory recall moments and that smell will come back to me for a minute.  BLECK!!!
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 10:34:51 pm »
You just ruined my weekend pancakes! ;D
Dont get me wrong,  I like that smell, but not around my cakes.. ???

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 10:52:37 pm »

here's a hint, Eric...when the hubby goes away for a weekend, put some pancake batter in a bottle.  You can take a whiff every now and again...kind of like a new bottle of poppers.  LOL   ;D
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Eldon

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 11:34:41 pm »
Regergitated Alcohol is the worst.

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 12:08:23 am »
All these posts and no one has dared yet? Egg farts.

I'll concur with Lwood on the asparagus urine, too. But don't be dissin' poor Karl ;)

Everything, in moderation.

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 09:52:23 am »
Baby spit up.

Nothing is worse than curdled formula.

UGH,
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 10:48:23 am »
MSP...if you don't like the smell of pancakes cooking, I can only imagine your thoughts about pancake batter, which by the way bears a remarkable similarity to...um...how do you put in "nicely"....um...can't.  It smells like cum.  Seriously, take a whiff.

Believe it or not, I am aware of the cum smell.  In my highschool years, I was a waiter at a family restaurant and remembered how the batter smelled in the walk-in cooler.  The cum scent doesn't bother me so much  ;)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 11:12:57 am »
I've always had a sensitive nose...I'm the one who pops up and says "I smell something burning" and everyone else says "I don't".....then several minutes later, they do....

The neighbors in the apt. below me sometimes make chittlins.  This is the nastiest thing I have smelled; it just permeates everything, and sort of 'hangs there'.

One of my favorite scents is pine-sol.  I use it to clean with, and just love the way the place smells afterwards. (regular scent only! no lemon)

I love the smell of fresh mown grass, but I have a friend who will vomit if he smells it.   To each his own, right?

Alan

edited to add:  another scent I DESPISE is Estee Lauder's "Youth Dew" (a woman's cologne).   It smells like some sort of chemical.....
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 11:24:34 am »
Alan -

I think we have the same nose or something.  I agree with everything you said. 

I love the smell of Pine-sol too, though it reminds me of a dirty book store or a bathhouse.  Why do all these places use Pine-sol?

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 11:41:21 am »
why do you think I love it so much?   (just kidding)

It does smell like a bookstore doesn't it.....or so I've been told  ::)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 08:10:41 pm »
I left some meat (steak) out for Annie with the intention of feeding her before we headed off for the weekend...got distracted and forgot to give it to her..when we got home the smell was so awful I gagged for hours and finally threw up, it took two days to get rid of the smell..so rotten meat is the worst smell in the world.

Hugs
Jan :-*
(who is now going to get rid of the bottle of "Youth Dew" she has in her bathroom.. ;))
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2006, 08:49:42 pm »

:-[
One other odor/smell that I’m bothered with is that stale odor from old people. I have a friend that’s 95 years old and for the past few months well, he just smells funky when I visit him.

I thought about it and figured out what needed doing. (Spoke with him first.) Then we installed safety bars in and around his bathroom and bathtub. Now he smells of Aqua-Velva.  ::) ::) ::)

Oh Jan, spoiled raw chicken meat is another awful odor. Especially if you left some in the kitchen trash and then went away for the weekend.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 08:57:29 am »
the 6th avenue L station of the NYC subway system

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.