Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:34:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 219
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gaming Addiction  (Read 7742 times)

Offline skeptik73

• switch (zero)
Gaming Addiction
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:32:41 am »
Anyone have any experience addressing a gaming addiction?

I'm probably overreacting somewhat, and its taken a series of work-performance issues not DIRECTLY related to gaming, for me to come to the realization that it is the source of the problem... that it is a form of escapism that sustains my habit of escaping even when I've got all my other stuff in order.  Even without realizing it, I procrastinate from my school work, from other things I want to get done....  then I get to a point where I'm afraid to make any real world plans because I'm so far behind.

I'm afraid to even log into Facebook for fear I'll get sucked in.

I suppose I'm making this harder than it has to be, but if anyone has any useful tips that have worked for them, I'd appreciate it. 

For example, where should one draw the line?  I'm comfortable doing my self-defined Wii Fit and Dance Dance Revolution routine, for example.  And I had been thinking Facebook games were okay, but now I am fairly certain that they are NOT.

Must get busy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Gaming Addiction
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 05:43:47 am »
Looks to me like you have a real issue.
Suggestions:  don't play games in facebook.  Make lists and also keep a daily calendar.  Put due dates in the calendar and try to block out times that you are going to work on projects, in the calendar. Any time you are procrastinating by diverting your attention to escape worlds like gaming, just put that in the calendar too.

You have got the ill feeling that something is not working and also the will to change so perhaps when you see it in black and white you'll have the will power to change.  For the time being always put some blocks of time that are realistic and dedicated to some realisable project or even just something fun - seeing friends, sports, etc.  Its all about priorities.  When you have to write over a good project block because you just spent 4 hours playing games, maybe tomorrow you'll just stick to your original planned activity.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline next2u

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:25:26 am »
i'll cut the mofu who tries to compromise my 360 time, lol.

so, are you a farmer, fisher, wizard, a mobster or something else?

i'm trying to get my mom a facebook addiction, lol.

in all seriousness...set limits. and watch out for substitutes or do the important stuff first and the gaming last. i know i need to escape from time to time and gaming is a cheap way of doing it and i dont end up with a hangover...

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:04:36 am »
Try to find a social activity with a group of people that will pull you out into the real world.  The problem with most online games is they have some sort of social component which people with escape complexes find as a siren song.  It's a game that will keep them occupied as they continue to be able to faux socialize but as their reality can crumble.  You'd be best served either joining into a book club, or some sort of sports group, or just set a weekly/biweekly ritual with friends to get together.  Also you may want to tell some of your friends about your problem and make sure they know they have the authority to "Drag" you out of your apartment.  Most of the serious gamers I know will actually turn down invites to do anything else in order to keep gaming.

Offline skeptik73

• switch (zero)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:17:35 pm »
Thanks guys for your input... suggestions, banter, and observations.  I'm hoping to be around here more frequently.  Clean up my attitude, and start really addressing the stigma.... the stigma that I feel regarding more things than I can count on one hand.  Not setting that as a goal yet, I've got enough problems to tackle. 

But the gaming has to go.

next2u:  I was a farmer, a mobster, a wizard, a vampire, a zookeeper...  didn't touch the fish though, heh.  And I also played Lord of the Rings Online, and still dabbled with Civilization 4 once in a while, and even the ancient Master of Orion 2 (still a great game).  And I must stop.  Uninstall.  Period.  My health, my sanity, my ability to function within normal social parameters.... are all at stake.... much more so than I realized.

I'll be back later.  I want to be involved, but it will have to wait for a time.  I'm grateful for my partner, for my health, for being in a Master's program for work that I really want to do (Software Engineering), for all the support I get from so many angles from so many people.  I can handle getting laid off.  And its funny to say it, but I can also handle NOT getting laid off, because there is definitely a part of me that wants it.  My life has become so complicated and so stressed.  I want simple.  I have time, and I have options.... if I keep going into "escape" mode, I won't have those luxuries.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:39:14 pm »

All I know is Pacific Theater of Operations II (aka PTO II) got me through my first divorce and Final Fantasy VII got me through my second however, the Madden Football 95 and 99 caused both divorces respectively.  I've since given both of those up years ago and now play Madden 2010.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Fondoo

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:50:27 pm »

All I know is Pacific Theater of Operations II (aka PTO II) got me through my first divorce and Final Fantasy VII got me through my second however, the Madden Football 95 and 99 caused both divorces respectively.  I've since given both of those up years ago and now play Madden 2010.

As an X gamer I find this post real funny. I have major addiction/isolation issues myself,my break from gaming was inspired and supported by fatherhood.
  Good luck
          Tracy

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:05:11 pm »
I have a serious gaming addiction mine is any video game i can get my hands on.  you name it, the sims, world of warcraft, xbox 360, facebook apps, and older game systems.  i was kickin back enjoying some old toe jam and earl on the sega genesis last night lol.

however, i do know when it is time to put the game aside and though it eats up a great deal of my time i still make time for whats important. kinda works though, because my hubby is also a game addict so we play warcraft together, and do our facebook apps together.  
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline next2u

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:54 pm »
the dude i used to date and i both gamed together. i miss gaming nude with my person....

as someone who can sit in front of a tv playing until my hands go numb and forgo food and water i have to say i <3 my addictions. i find them amusing because they haven't completely destroyed my life. ill take gears of war (gears of war 3 is coming out soon btw) over laundry and homework any day.

i also make time for my friends but most of them have their own complicated and consumming lives.

if you give up one addiction beware the substitute. i made piece with all of mine and check in with my therapist/loved ones from time to time for a reality check. humans have addictions...what's yours? man, could you imagine hooking for zelda, hehehe.
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:22:07 am »
Next is on the mark about being wary of substituting one addiction for another. But if you give something up, you do need to consider what you might want to add into your life of a healthy, rewarding nature. Think about what you might like to have, perhaps even something that you thought about before but for whatever reason didn't pursue. The more you can strengthen that area of your life, the richer it becomes and may help to lessen to appeal of whatever the addiction. was.

Addressing addiction is for sure a powerful challenge. But it can be done. Simply white knuckling it may work for a time sometimes, but ultimately that's not a solution. You have a better shot at it by finding new ways to enrich your life.
Andy Velez

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 09:49:51 am »
As an X gamer I find this post real funny. I have major addiction/isolation issues myself,my break from gaming was inspired and supported by fatherhood.
  Good luck
          Tracy

I know what you mean.  I don't play nearly as much as I use to.  I usually go on a gaming kick around the time football season starts.  I was over my friends house last week and he has the new Call of Duty (COD).  It was too much fun...  games like that are the ones I need to stay away from.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Still_Here4Now

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 05:36:16 pm »
Well I have to say I use to do the gaming thing on face book and then Evony! I stopped when my comp crashed. It was some thing that one of the 4500 friends I had sent me. I was with out comp for 2or more month and well I realized that I was not eating or sleeping or doing anything but being  a farmer/mobster/street racer/vampire/little fishin in there as well. I realized I was addicted and well I had to stop for the comp reason as well as for my health.

As for the addiction! Well my dear I have to say every human has addiction. Weather it is to drugs (prescription or street) or it could be clothes/food/money/boat/car walking working out/ tv or what ever it is every human has addiction. It is a human trait and yeah it sucks. Yet one has to as Kenny Rodger's say -Know When TO Hold Em and Know When TO Fold Em. and it called balancing life and it's surprises!! Most humans need help over coming any type of addiction. SO your not int his alone and you can beat it! From what I read every one here thinks you can and if you need professional help. GET IT!!! Do NOT be embarrassed it is a thing call LIFE!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.