Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:28:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Late seroconverting?  (Read 12910 times)

Offline male_51

Late seroconverting?
« on: August 18, 2006, 08:40:25 am »
After a stupid incident with sex worker about 6 months ago (unprotected) I am pretty sure and very afraid that I’ve got HIV.
I got many “ARS and HIV symptoms”, like night sweat, diarrhoea, sore throat, metalic taste in my mouth, muscle pains, rash on my breast and neck and fur on my tongue. And I got swollen glands for the last 3 months. The first symptoms started 1 week after the incident, and I got more and more symptoms.
I’ve got blood samples taken after 4 weeks, 11 weeks and 18 weeks. All 3 times the Elisa screening test came out “sligth positive”, and the Western Bloot confirmation test came out negative. (The first WB had one band, the 2 next didn't have any bands). I have now taken a new test at 6 months, and I am still waiting for the answer. And I'm terrifyed.
If I got HIV, when the Elisa test was “sligth positive” at 4 weeks, shouldn’t the WB be positive at least at the 18 weeks test?
I’ve got rheumatism. Could it be that is why I’m being late in seroconverting?
I’ve also been eating a lot of garlic tablets. I've heard that garlic is veryr antiviral. Can that slow down the seroconverting process, and be why the test are negative?
At the same time I don't understand why I have som massive symptoms.

Thank you!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Late seroconverting?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 09:35:51 am »
male,

You are conclusively hiv negative and none of the syptoms you report are hiv specific. The ELISA tests are very sensitive and sometimes indeterminate results happen. This is why the Western Blot test is used to confirm a positive ELISA. You have not had a firm positive result on any of the six tests (3xELISA + 3xWB) you have had and this means you are absolutely hiv negative.

I do understand your anxiety considering your testing history, but you can relax, really you can. You don't have hiv. If your rheumatism is doing anything to skew your results, it is what might be causing your slightly reactive test results. It will NOT slow down seroconversion and neither will garlic or anything aside from cancer chemotherapy or anti organ rejection drugs given after organ transplant.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. The odds always were in your favour of testing negative. Please use condoms from now on unless you are in a monogamous relationship where you and the other person have tested negative for all STIs TOGETHER. Check out the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can be sure you are using those condoms correctly.

If there were any doubt in my mind concerning your hiv status, I'd tell you. We want people to know their status so they can stay healthy and make sure the virus stops with them. You are hiv negative, now please protect that negative status.

And work with your doctor to get to the bottom of your physical ailments. You have ruled out hiv, now you and your doc need to find the real cause. It ain't hiv!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scared186

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 03:07:17 pm »
male,

My ELISA came out positive  but the Western blot confirmed it negative.  I did some research about the tests that may calm you down a bit.  Here is what I found:

A good hiv test is one that incorporates both 'senstivity' and 'specificity'.

The ELISA is very 'sensitive'.  It may detect other antibodies that were created as a result of some sudden change in the immune system. (i.e. a common cold in my case)  This is why a positive ELISA result must always be backed up by a Western blot.

The Western Blot is very 'specific'.  It will rule out everything else except HIV. 

The combination of these two tests constitutes an excellent algorithm in testing for HIV and has been proven. 

Ann, correct me if I'm wrong.  (if this is thread highjacking please let me know, I won't do it again). 

But if Ann says your negative, that means you are negative.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:53:53 pm »
Male,

Scared is correct about the tests, even if he is thread hijacking. ;)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline male_51

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 12:35:26 pm »
Thank you Ann and Scared186.
I ease up a lite bit, but I'm still frightened. I know that "symptoms mean nothing", but I have a lot of them.
In my country (Norway) they use "slight reactive" in Elisa screening. I read: Values S/CO <0,7 is Neg. 0,7-1,3 is "marginal value". 1,3-2,5 is "sligth reactive" and >2,5 is reactive.
My test came out x3 with "sloth reactive". So that means I had somewhere between 1,3-2,5 on the ELISA's. I think in the US that would be "reactive". But as I told you, all 3 WB was neg. (The first had one band, but the 2 next had no bands). When the first WB had one band (at 4 weeks) , I think that the 3. WB at 18 weeks should be more reactive than the first and not have no bands if it is HIV? Don't you think? 
I've taken a new test (ELISA/WB) and a DNA-PCR, and still waiting for the outcome. I think I'll get the answere on Monday or Tuesday. This will be the worst weekend in my life.

Thank you!
Male_51

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 12:52:46 pm »
Male,

PCR testing is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes because they have a high rate of FALSE positives. Let's hope you don't get one of those. However, if it comes back negative, you can rest easy.

I'm wondering one thing, you said you had an unprotected experience, but you didn't say what exactly you mean by that. If you mean unprotected intercourse, you did have a risk, but if you meant unprotected blowjob, you did NOT have a risk.

But regardless, if you were truly positive, the WB would have been positive as well. Three negative WBs means you are negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline male_51

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 01:06:13 pm »
Hello Ann.

I had protected intercourse and unprotected oral (both me and her).
This was my first time ever whit a sex worker, and I am so ashamed and scared.
I know that some of the symptoms can be psychological, but not all.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Male_51

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 01:50:09 pm »
Male,

If you would have detailed your risk sooner, we could have told you that you didn't even have a risk that warrants testing in the first place.

That coupled with your negative WB's and you are absolutely 100% hiv negative. 

Whatever is happening with your body, it has nothing to do with hiv.  See your doctor if your ailments continue.

And have a great weekend as you have ruled out hiv infection as a cause of your issues.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline male_51

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 07:34:01 am »
Thank you Morgan.

I know it is supposed to be a low risk situation, and that symptoms mean nothing, but I do have a lot of symptoms and I don't know what else it could be. And I'm still very afraid.
I think there is nothing else to do than wait for the result of the 6 months tests.

male_51

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 07:40:21 am »
You didn't have a low risk, YOU HAD A NO RISK.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 07:41:06 am »
male,

Six month test? Why? Have you recently had a heart transplant? Are you undergoing chemotherapy for cancer? Have you been injecting street drugs daily for years? NO? Then you do not need further testing. You didn't need to test in the first place.

It's time for you to move on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline male_51

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 07:53:31 am »
Hello Ann, and thank you for yout reply.

Have you recently had a heart transplant? Are you undergoing chemotherapy for cancer? Have you been injecting street drugs daily for years? NO? 

No to all, but I do have a slight reumatism, and although I haven't used medicine for years I am still frightened that my imune-system don't function so good that I do produce antibodies, or do not produce enough antibodies to show on the WB test.

male_51

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 08:09:57 am »
Male,

To show antibodies, you have to be infected first. To be infected, you have to engage in risky behaviour. You didn't.

If anything, your condition might give you a false positive, which it seems it did. Your negative WB tests - three of them - show that you are hiv negative. I have listed the only things that MIGHT give a false negative. You do not fit into any of these catagories.

You are hiv negative. Protect that status with condoms and move on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline male_51

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 08:13:13 am »
Thank you, Ann.

I'll try to relax.

male_51

Offline male_51

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 02:43:47 pm »
One more question please.

Is it possible to have a lot of symptoms before seroconvertion? Or is the ARS symptoms comming at the same time, and because of the convertion?

Or is it possible to have hiv-virus in the body that gives a lot of symptoms, and the imune-system havn't startet to produce antibodies yet?

Thank you.

male_51

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 03:18:18 pm »
male,

It isn't the hiv itself that give ARS symptoms, it's the body's reaction to the presence of hiv. Part of this reaction is the production of antibodies. If symptoms are truly ARS, a test would likely to be inconclusive or positive.

You didn't have a risk of hiv transmission, so why would your body be producing antibodies?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline male_51

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 04:36:39 pm »
Hello again.

I just know I got "someting", and I'm sure I did get that "someting" at that incident 6 months ago. I've tested neg. for all other STD'es, so I don't know what else it could be. And I am so afraid.

male_51

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 04:49:48 pm »
Male,

Well...... the one thing you KNOW you don't have is hiv.  You have conclusively tested negative over a no-risk encounter.

So, fear not young squire, you have ruled out hiv as a cause of your ailments.

Morgan
(who likes his coffee hot with 30% Bailey's Irish Creme)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:53:07 pm by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline male_51

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 08:39:24 am »
I'm still worried  :(

Can it be that my Elisa tests ("Slight positive") reacted to HIV2 or a special HIV1 strain that isn't picked up by the Westen Blot? I don't know if the WB the lab used is for both HIV1 and 2.

Sorry to bother you again.

male_51

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 05:04:13 pm »
Male,

You are hiv negative.  Period.  Re-read this thread until this FACT sinks in.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline male_51

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 01:45:14 am »
OK, I'll try to stay calm untill I get the test result. May be later today.

Thank you Morgan.

male_51

Offline male_51

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 05:23:37 am »
I was told today that the DNA-PCR was negative.
I havn't got the answer for ELISA/WB yet, but when the DNA-PCR is negative, is that conclusive?

male_51

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 07:28:13 am »
Male,

You didn't need to test at all so it surprises me not one whit that your PCR test was negative. I would hasten to add the PCR testing is not approved as a diagnostic tool as it has an tendency to deliver false positive results. So any other WW's who are hovering over this thread, forget it. PCR testing is a monitoring tool for people who have been diagnosed with HIV, not people who think they have HIV when really they don't.

Your ELISA and Western Blot tests will also be negative. It's about time that you hopped off the testing merry-go-round and visited a mental health worker so you can talk about your unfounded fears of HIV infection. We are not able to provide the support that you need.

Move on.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 07:53:04 am »
male,

You are hiv negative as you can be. If you cannot accept your negative status, please seek the assistance of a mental health care provider. We cannot give you anxiety counseling over the internet. There is nothing more we can do for you here.

You are hiv negative. Protect that negative status by using condoms from now on, every time, NO exceptions.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline male_51

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 06:18:48 am »
Dear Ann and the rest of you.

I know you think I’m just nervous and that my anxiety is playing with my mind.
Well, may be that is true, and may be 90% of the symptoms comes from anxiety, but there are certainly some of the symptom that can not be psychic.
I’ve got night sweat, sore throat, pain when I swallow, muscle pains and muscle shiver, rash on my breast and neck and fur on my tongue.
I did have a DNA-PCR at 6 months that came back neg. (I’m not sure what kind of DNA-PCR that was, qualitative or quantitative). I’m now waiting for a new Elisa/WB result. (The lab didn’t run the Elisa/WB because they didn’t think it was necessary since the DNA-PCR was neg. and I’ve had 3 neg. already). But now my doc told them to run it anyway).
I’m not sure, but I think may be the WB is only testing for HIV-1, and I’m also unsure regarding the DNA-PCR.
So if you don’t look just at the psychic factor, do you think it can be either HIV-1 strain O or HIV-2 that shows on the ELISA as “light positive” and shows negative at the WB and DNA-PCR?

Male_51

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 06:23:19 am »
No, this is all in your mind. YOU ARE NEGATIVE....Period....If you can't believe your results, then seek the help of a mental heath professional to help you deal with it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 06:32:01 am »
Male,

I do not think it is hiv at all. You have more than conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture.

Go to your doctor and let the doctor diagnose your problems. We cannot do that for you. You could be missing something important by your insistance that it has to be hiv. It isn't hiv. Go find out what is really going on.

There is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline male_51

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 11:17:33 am »
Result today (6 months):
Elisa: Slight reactive
Western Blot: negative
DNA-PCR: negative.

I talked directly to the professor that is responsible for the testing in the lab which analysed my test. (it's a lab at a big hospital). She sayd that the test they use is for both HIV-1 and 2, and for subtype O. So she was convinced that I don't have HIV.   :)
Thank you all for your encouraging words!

male_51
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 11:43:01 pm by male_51 »

Offline male_51

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 07:48:48 am »
Hello everybody. I've been away from this board for a time. I really don't know how I am doing. I tried to don't think at HIV at all. I still got som rare symptoms, like rash on my neck and breast, muscle ache in my leggs and white fur on mu tounge. It's been over 1 year now, and I'm thinking I may se my doc again to take a new test. What else can it be?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 08:07:18 am »
Male,

There are hundreds of things that could be going on. Go see your doctor for a diagnosis - we cannot do that for you here.

Whatever is going on, there is one thing for certain - you do NOT have hiv. You have tested more than conclusively negative for hiv. The window period is only three months and you tested negative at six months. This means you do NOT have hiv. And yes, I understand your testing history. The WB and PCR tests prove that you are hiv negative.

Go to your doctor and show him/her your rash. It could be anything - anything BUT hiv.

You are hiv negative. You do NOT have hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. Use them consistently and correctly and you will remain hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline male_51

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 04:07:42 pm »
Thank you for answering, Ann.
I have been to the doctor several times. Taken a lot of blod-test. They can't tell me what is wrong with me, just what it is not. I've also been to a "skin-spesialist", He could not tell me what's cause the rash. Noting on the allergy-test. Other symptoms I got is iching skin (random), and still swollen lympnode in my neck. Someting is still going on.......

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2007, 04:39:29 pm »
male,

Something may indeed be going on, but whatever it is, it is NOT hiv. Keep working with your doctors to get to the bottom of it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2007, 04:42:14 pm »
male_51

ELISA antibody tests are not properly reported as "slightly reactive". They employ a cutoff value; results below the value as reported as non reactive and over the value reported as reactive. There are a few medicinal options for treating rheumatism; however, neither the disease nor the medication would have a limiting effect on your ability to produce HIV antibodies.

You've had more than enough tests to conclusively rule out infection from HIV. Moreover, your exposure wasn't even on the radar as a possible risk for transmission.
Time to retire those "what ifs" and continue working with your doctor if your symptoms are still causing distress because it isn't HIV.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.