Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 362
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has something changed?  (Read 3872 times)

Wolfey

Has something changed?
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:48:47 pm »
It's me Snowangel, I couldn't remember my old log in info.

Hope everyone is doing well!

I recently moved back to where I grew up and went to my old ASO.

I have been with the same guy for 14? yrs now and when they asked me the condom question, I said "no" and I got "the look"

I thought the chance of reinfection was slim to none. Has the thinking on that changed?

:o

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Has something changed?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »
I just sent you a PM , please check it out and get back with me .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »
The look has about as much relevance to you as a knitted condom. Clinically important reinfection is as rare as hen's teeth, maybe 3 dozen cases ever (to be generous) - matt (never condoms with my HIV-positive partner) the newt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Wolfey

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 05:18:45 pm »

I also got the reinfection speech and I don't mean to preach comment and then got the same speech from my new nurses?  Just wanted to check.
Thanks.

Wolfey

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:23:59 pm »
I had to go back to finish my intake and brought up the fact about not many documented cases and he told me they are worried about mutations?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:16:20 am »
I had to go back to finish my intake and brought up the fact about not many documented cases and he told me they are worried about mutations?

Since the advent of ART/HAART, we have been told (most famously by researcher David Ho and fellow researchers that Superinfetion would bring about a second wave of AIDS, where drug resistant infections would quickly overtake medical treatment.

This second wave has not happened. We do not have appreciable numbers of multi-class resistant HIV transmitted to drug naive folks. We do not have statistically significant numbers of superinfection AT ALL, and of those less than a handful seem to have transferred drug resistance. In those cases, the patients were newly infected and had suboptimal treatment success and/or adherence.

Going strictly anecdotal, the number of HIV positive couples who use condoms is virtually zero. Some heterosexuals might, but almost no gay male couples I know of do this.

And so far, after watching this phenomena since it erupted into the mainstream media in 1999, statistics and epidemiology have shown no impact.

FWIW, I have had many HIV positive partners since infection, used condoms with none of them, and have the same resistances that I had due to poor adherence and/or failed therapies. And so have my partners.

I do sometimes hear screams of "superinfection." I have yet to see evidence of it in the fourteen years I have been on this forum and working with HIV transmission research (which shares some common ground).

I have certainly read about the documented cases, and honestly don't have solid faith in the methodology. But assuming each one is accurate, twelve documented cases out of millions of people with HIV, and no evidence that the virus is outrunning treatment options like, say, gonorrhea.

It's a shade, in my opinion. It's a boogeyman.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Wolfey

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 09:58:27 am »
Thank you for your reply, jkinatl2!

I appreciate it!

Have a  ;D day!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 02:06:06 pm »
It's a shade, in my opinion. It's a boogeyman.
can we pin your whole post? ;) :D

This has to be the best short, honest reply to this topic; which, you know, you and I and others have replied to again and again and again. I just wish health care officials would be as honest and forthcoming.  ;) There'd be such reduced stress on PLWH by knowing the actual non-risk situation this is.

But of course, as long as it's that nasty sex we're having that keeps spreading this, then health care personnel and social workers are going to keep holding up this boogeyman to scare the newbies (Boo!) and under-educated.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:39 am »
Thanks for the kind words, Leatherman and Wolfey.

I lump the whole topid in with stigma, actually. We are doing the one thing researhers and doctors were dsperately frightened that we would do, even as they fought to achieve it; we are thriving. Having full healthy sexual lives.

The tide is turning, albeit slowly. And the pariah status is dissolving. And this frustrates some people to no end.

Hysteria over time is freaking exhausting. And in this case, totally unwarranted.

I refuse to even discuss the subject with kid gloves anymore. It's ridiculous.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.