Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:41:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 473
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My scary night in the ER  (Read 6189 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
My scary night in the ER
« on: September 02, 2006, 03:34:06 pm »
Hi  guys

I wound up going to the ER last night because I was short of breath and my right side of my body felt a bit numb.   My bloodpressure was through the roof (which is weird) and I started to feel confused (like why am I here, I want to go home, I feel crazy etc).  They did all these tests include chest xray, head CT, bloodwork, EKG and all were normal.  They told me I was having a panic attack and gave me some Ativan whiich helped a bit.  I guess I have been stressed out lately but I thought I was having a heart attack.   It was scary.

Now I feel depressed (this crappy NJ weather isnt helping) and I feel stupid for going to the ER.   Has this happened to anyone?  They told me to see a neruologist for the numbness but they didnt think it was anything to be too concerned about.

I feel like I am going crazy...sigh :(

Offline blondbeauty

Re: My scary night in the ER
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 03:37:47 pm »
Something similar happened to me at work. I couldnīt breathe or think. I closed the aft door of the plane but left the staircase open. I forgot and I couldnīt remember how to close it. I had to go home and that was the moment when I disclosed to the Dr. of my company...
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline c69

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 03:51:29 pm »
Don't feel stupid for going to the ER. I was diagnosed towards the end of last year, and it scared the shit out of me. You suddenly are aware of the fact that something is wrong with you and you start feeling all sorts of symptoms. Symptoms you wouldn't have given a second thought before diagnosis.
In february I also went to the ER, because I had a terrible pain in the gut area. Because of my low T-cells I was scared that I had some sort of infection and got scared. I also went to the doc twice because of pain in my chest, I also thought I was having a heart attack, of course everything was fine.

What I am trying to say is: I think this is normal when you have been recently diagnosed because we are so insecure and feel vulnerable.

Better to go to the ER for nothing, than not going and maybe overlook a serious situation.

C69
Meds since May 2006, Abacavir, Tenofovir, Reyataz & Norvir.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:16:03 pm »
Feel glad/sensible that you went and got it checked and be thankful it was nothing more serious.

I had a similar scare a few months ago. The village doc came to my house and did an ECG, found nothing but still insisted I go to a cardiologist in town to be double sure. Cardiologist found palpitations but told me not to worry, that it was down to the stress I’d been under at the time. I still get flutters from time to time, but I took his advice and don’t worry about it…

I never think going to ER is a waste of time. And if you've been advised to see a neurologist about the numbness, then I would do it. Part of my philosophy is: if in doubt check it out.

You also need to do something to address your anxiety though. Stress is the immune system's worst enemy!

Be well.

Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 05:58:55 pm »
Hay!  Better to be safe than sorry..  Panic attacks are scary but after you get to know how they feel you can start on stopping them before they get the best of you... I think I was in a peretual panic attack those first two weeks after diagnosis... No wonder I lost 16 pounds in two weeks..

Your going to be ok and do not be silly about thinking you are stupid..  Stupid is as stupid does...   

Signed,

Love & Stupid.... ;) 

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 07:03:16 pm »
Hey dude,

I am sorry about your visit to the ER, very scary.

I have had panic attacks.  Stress can do a real number on you.  I have had weird irregular heart beat, strange sensations in my body and I think it does make me stupid (my brain is flipped out), etc.  Managing stress is something very important.  Please look into ways to help with this- breathing exercises, meditation, stretching, exercise, hot bathes with lavender oil AND candles... take some time to love yourself, there is no other more special person!

With care,
Drew

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 07:27:24 pm »
Hello Confusednewbie, it is Eldon:

You did the right thing by going to the ER because you had no idea of what was going on with you. I too have had both anxiety and panic attacks in the past. Did it scare me? Yes, it did. There are a number of ways for you to reduce the stress in your life.

When you have the time, check out this site that I visit from time-to-time: http://www.anxietypanic.com/, I found it to be very informative.

In the interim, get some exercise, eat a proper diet, drink plenty of fluids, and most of all, get your proper rest...it is important.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 09:21:05 pm »
I had a panic episode when I transferred from intensive care to regular care at another hospital. I checked myself out against the advice of my doctor and the attending nurses. Piss on em. I know what's right for me. When I got home I felt right as rain although I was nervious that I was making a bad choice.

Trust your gut and give yourself permission to just be, aside from all these artifical rules that can clog things up as much as they are meant to provide safety.

If your tests all came back normal, think a little more about it, rationally trying to see if there was something that got missed. You know your body better than anyone else or any machine. it's a complex thing, after all. Going to ER was still a good idea if you needed to begin your investigation though.

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 02:57:26 am »
Its always better to be safe than sorry...  I went to the ER thinking I had streph throat.  It turned out to be
Steven Johnson Syndrome...  You just never know.  Panic attacks...yep.  Had those too.  Ativan...Yep again...and by the way they only last a couple or three hours.  Scary or not...You Did The Right Thing!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Christine

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 12:02:52 pm »
Hello,
Sorry you had to spend the night in the ER...never a fun time. But, you did the right thing by going. Better to be safe than sorry. Stress can do a lot of things to the body. I was horribly stressed out when I was first diagnosed. I wish that I had gone and spoke with a therapist or psychiatrist in the beginning, I think it would have helped.

Take some time for yourself...pamper yourself. It is difficult in the beginning, but it will get better.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 12:46:08 pm »
I had a panic attack once while I was driving. I swore It was a heart attack. Very strange thing indeed. I hope you recover fast, and that was all it was. Hang in there!
Positive since 1985

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 01:48:40 pm »
hello Confused,

Don't feel bad about gong to the emergency room. You were experiencing real symtoms and discomfort , you did the right thing. I have never had a panic attack, so I am not familiar with what you had gone through. But I believe you did the right thing. Now, the thing is to see if you can control it, and prevent it from occurring again.

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.