Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:57:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 322
Total: 325

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Long term travel abroad and adjusting the time of when I take meds...help?  (Read 4273 times)

Offline travelbug85

Heya everyone. I'm about to leave for a long term trip (8-9 months) and am wondering how to adjust the time when I take my pill. I've been on Atripla since October of last year and my viral load has been undetectable since shortly after...

I've taken the pill every night at 10:30 pm without fail since starting it in October 2011. I live in Seattle (Pacific TZ) and even when I go to Mountain, Central, or Eastern within North America I adjust the time I take my med to the local time. For example, if I'm in Montana on Mountain Time I take my pill at 11:30pm local time because that's 10:30pm in Seattle. So on and so forth all the way to Mexico City, Florida, etc...

So here's my question- when do I take my meds in India?! When it's 10:30pm Pacific time it's 11:00am in India (whole country's on the same time zone). I'd be totally cool taking it at this hour due to the fact that I've never really had any adverse reactions or side effects.

I've heard of people "staggering" the time they take their meds when they travel in order to get back to their normal/"home" time. This slightly freaks me out since I've been so ocd about taking it on time, every day, without fail or more than an hour deviation.

Also, I have a supply of Atripla (generic) to get me through the first 3 months of my trip, but am wondering how difficult it is to obtain in India. The supply I have right not is Viraday which is made by Cipla IN India, but is there some special channel you have to go through to get it? Or is it over the counter? I have a written and printed prescription for it from my doc here just in case. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton

Offline emeraldize

Excuse brevity. Traveling. If India is your sole destination and your numbers good just wait until you are at your destination and take your next " on time dose" at 10:30pm India time. This was advised to me by ID doc.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:35:10 am by emeraldize »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Hi Travelbug, welcome to the forums.

The most important thing is that you take your meds every day. The best thing to do is to continue taking your Atripla at the same time - 10:30PM - regardless of where you are in the world.

In other words, keep taking it at 10:30PM local time.

Atripla is very forgiving in this regard and once you're undetectable (as you are) you have leeway of several hours either way, so don't sweat the time zone changes as you move around the world. 

It's more important that you keep to your usual routine, instead of constantly looking at your watch and trying to figure out what time it is back home so you can take your meds at the time you would have taken them at home.

Good luck on your travels and as long as you keep taking your Atripla every day, you'll be just fine and no, you won't be risking resistance. Keep to your usual routine and all will be well.

Oh, by the way, I'm not sure how you'd get your script filled in India, but we do have members who hail from there... calling Spacebarsux to the courtesy phone!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
Also, I have a supply of Atripla (generic) to get me through the first 3 months of my trip, but am wondering how difficult it is to obtain in India. The supply I have right not is Viraday which is made by Cipla IN India, but is there some special channel you have to go through to get it? Or is it over the counter? I have a written and printed prescription for it from my doc here just in case. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton

I'm sorry for the delayed response! I just saw this thread. 

As long as you have a doctor's prescription, it should be no problem purchasing Viraday at the big chemist stores/pharmacies in any large city in India.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline travelbug85

Hey everyone thanks so much for all the replies! As I said I was a bit nervous about adjusting to the time change, but just took everyone's advice and started taking it at 10:30pm local time. And of course never went 24 hours without taking it while in transit (long layover!!!).

As far as obtaining Viraday in India, holy crap it was just like buying a dosa or thali... walked into a pharmacy, told them how many bottles I wanted, paid 3900 rupees for a 30 day supply, and that was that. Under $80 USD for 30 tabs. Amazing! Have enough to get me through until mid March as of now, but will be in Thailand then and heard that the Red Cross Anonymous clinic is the place to go to re-up. Probably more expensive (but certainly not by much, right?), but still much better than buying it in the States or via an online Canadian pharmacy (where the product is still shipped from India!).

Again, thanks so much and sorry about late reply/update. Been enjoying the sunshine and warm weather :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.