Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:27:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 306
Total: 308

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A rash?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Patty M

A rash?
« on: August 14, 2007, 01:02:57 am »
I have read the lessons section several times and may have over looked information about this rash that my brother has had for a little while now. His doctor wants to send him to a dermatologist and he will get there when his new insurance starts, at first the docs diagnosed him as being alergic to the Bactrim that he had been taking to keep the pnuemonia from recurring, my brother is newly diagnosed with full blown aids and seems to be doing much better now that he is on meds. I certainly wish he had internet service and hopefully will have soon but he has a rash in the areas of his back, groin, penis, butt, stomach, chest, and it seems to move around. It is itchy and starts off looking like a splotch of pimples that burst and small amounts of puss are emitted and then they scab over and heal. We are still learning lots about his disease and I know you guys have helped me a lot already and I told him I would come here and ask about your experience with this situation. My brother is feeling a little uncomfortable with his doc whom has even changed his meds some, his counts are doing real good down to 145,00 from 750,000 viral and back to 293 Tcells so he is responding well to the meds at least until they were changed. He is still nauseous a lot and am wondering if he is always going to be. He has only been on meds for a couple of months, I know that from what I read here that he will be okay and actually already is, he is coming here to California for a few months to stay with my family, something that would never have happened until he got sick so I am so looking forward to that. He will be coming out here in October and staying through all of the holidays, it has been many years since we have been together for the holidays. I am not looking for a diagnosis just some experience that you might have had with this rash and what is might be caused from. I know staph is a bothersome thing and I am hoping that this is not that.  Thank you for your time. I appreciate all of you. Patty Mhttp://

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: A rash?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 01:11:32 am »
Hey Patty,

When my CD4 cells where really low a while back, I developed a pimple like rash which produced small amounts of pus too. My doctor told me it was bacterial foliculitis and prescribed an anti-septic shower wash which cleared it up. Once my CD4's rose about about 100 it went away.

It really needs to be looked at by a doctor to ensure it's not the fearsome Staph Aureus type (golden staph).

Regards,

MtD

Offline Patty M

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:17:17 am »
Matty don't you think his infectious disease doctor would be able to tell if it is staph without sending him to a dermatologist? I am a little concerned because my brothers insurance won't be effective for a couple of more weeks and am a little disappointed that the doc didn't do something other than send my brother to the dermatologist. Thanks for the response. Patty M
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 01:18:48 am by Patty M »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 01:19:17 am »
Patty,

That doesn't sound like staph to me.  To the best of my knowledge, staph isn't itchy- it's painful.  Very painful.  Has he been switched off the Bactrim?  I would imagine so, but if not, he needs to get on Dapsone instead.  If for some reason that also wouldn't be an option, he could try a pentamidine treatment.  Either of these are also used to prevent PCP (which is what I imagine the Bactrim is being used for).  I don't know what his insurance situation is, but this doesn't sound like something that can wait very long.  You also mention that his doctor has changed his meds some.  I don't know from what to what based on your description.  I had a major itchy and splotchy reaction to Bactrim and got switched to Dapsone (I also took the pentamidine treatment for a month in between).  Neither of the other two options gave me any problems like the Bactrim did.  The Bactrim also gave me nausea.  As I said before, I don't know what other meds he was taking and has been switched to or when that changed happened.

In any case, I can't diagnose.  The nausea from the HIV meds should eventually go away.  If not, he will likely need to be on a different regimen.

This is among the toughest times with this disease for many.  It was for me.  Your body is not just battling the HIV, it is getting hammered chemically by an onslaught of different concoctions.  

I hope this helps some.  Others will add more advice soon, I am sure.

Matty, are there staphs that are NOT painful?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:20:15 am »
During my seroconversion I got a rash but it was flaky.
They determined it was a seroconversion illness related rash.

Nothing to crazy it ran up from my thigh to my tummy on the left hand side.
My doctor told me to try to go to the beach and use Salt water since alot of rashes go away with Salt water.

He also said to stay away from the sun (I ignored that because I had just paid 100.00 for a month membership at the tanning salon).

Rashes are common things and your CD4's sometimes have to do with it.
In my case it went away 2months after having it. My skin looked shiny/flaky but it was nothing more than a rash. They rulled out all possible skin disorders.
I would keep posted and ask your doc and if it looked anything like mine moisture helped!!! Clinique has great lotions/creams.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 01:22:31 am »
I would add to avoid prolonged sun exposure during this time.  Bactrim, for one, can have a drastic reaction to sun exposure.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:25:15 am »
Matty, are there staphs that are NOT painful?

Good save, Youth Pastor Tim! Matty the Damned missed the reference to it being itchy. Staph infections are generally painful, but it may not always be the case.

The important thing here is that the rash is examined by a doctor. A rash that oozes pus or produces pustules needs medical attention.

I would keep posted and ask your doc and if it looked anything like mine moisture helped!!! Clinique has great lotions/creams.

I would add that putting over the counter moisturisers and other such frippery on an inflamed and infected rash is a very bad idea.

MtD

/edited for an addition/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 01:27:59 am by matty.the.damned »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:25:59 am »
Upon rereading your post, it does sound a bit more like folliculitis.  Like Matty, I've had that also.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:28:24 am »
If he is on Bactrim now he could be getting an allergic reaction. I was on Bactrim at first and also developed a rash and got taken off and was put on Mepron.

Offline Patty M

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 01:52:45 am »
Thank you for the quick replys and I can't wait to talk to my brother and share what you have shared with me. The insurance situation will be resolved the first of September and it can't come quick enough. I appreciate this site and you all sharing so freely every time I post here I get weepy from the love and compation and willingness to help that you so graciously give to me.  I know the bactrim has been changed, I will ask him about the other meds that have been changed as well. I thought if the aids meds were working that it might not be a good idea to mess with them and it appears that they are working and maybe I misunderstood but the doc changed them as well. I was talking to him via cell phone and working at the same time so I didn't write down what he told me, the implications of the changes didn't sink in until I was driving home earlier tonight, we have a two hour time difference and he is surely sleeping right now.  Once again thank you. Patty M
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 01:57:22 am by Patty M »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 07:52:50 am »
Hello Patty,

Must be coincidental !! I was just thinking of you the other day, reading some of the older posts, and I was wondering how your brother was doing, so I am glad you got back in touch with us !!

Make sure that when your brother gets to the dermatologist, that he mentions to the doctor, all the meds that he is on,and anything that he may have just discontinued. As others have already stated, it can be difficult for us to determine, exactly what this rash is related to. Hopefully the doctor and the dermatologist, can reach a decision on this.

Everyone of us is different, when it comes to our bodies handling these powerful medications, and that also includes the antibiotics. I don't remember if you told me whether you brother was on Zithromax, but that is also powerful little drug, which can bring on some nausea. I was on that for a while, and stuck it out, but it did it's job very well. That one was a tough one for me to handle.

I think Thunter said it well when he stated the following :

"This is among the toughest times with this disease for many.  It was for me.  Your body is not just battling the HIV, it is getting hammered chemically by an onslaught of different concoctions."

Also as far as Bactrim goes ( even though he's off it now,...there is a desensitization protocol for administering Bactrim. ( It's actually given in smaller doses, and is eventually increased) I would assume your brother is probably on Dapsone. If your brother is on Dapsone, that can also cause a rash in some people. I am sure the doctors will get things sorted out soon for your brother, just tell your brother to hang in there, and if the rash worsens, I would definitely seek medical attention for that !!
Did the doctor rule out shingles. Shingles can be common, and in some cases can really knock one off his/her feet. Anytime I ever had any kind of rashes, Calamine lotion is what always gave me the best relief. Unless your brothers doctor says that calamine lotion should not be used, I would give it a try. I have also used it on shingles. It get to be a little messy at times, but it's soothing. Should be gently applied to the rash with cotton balls ( just gently, dap/pat it on ) You would surprised what the body can do under stress, if your brother is under stress, this also plays havoc with the body. So if possible, tell him not to stress out, just try to relax as best he can. He probably needs to take cooler showers or baths, using a very mild soap. Perhaps even a baby shampoo, for washing down.

His t-cells are doing great !! I am sure they will continue to rise !!

It's also great, that he's going out to California. I really believe this trip to California will do him good !! It will do both you good.

Take care of yourself------Ray

Edited for typo's
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:08:12 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:17:14 am »
Hey Patty,
Always remember that no one onsite can be a substitute for your brother's doctor. Some newly diagnosed tend to confuse personal anecdotes with diagnosis and we can't diagnose over the internet. I will just echo two pieces of advice that were already given to you. If and when he is on Bactrim he should stay out of the sun/tanningbooth, no matter how much he paid for a membership, and perfumed lotions should be cleared by his doctor before application. You are a very cool and loving sister and that my friend will be the best medicine he receives.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:34:01 am »
Just a little info on calamine lotion, should the doctor approve. I don't see why the doctor should not approve it, if it shows to be beneficial :

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/calamine-lotion.html

Ray
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:13:34 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.