Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:43:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 203
Total: 203

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Major CD4 Drop Question  (Read 6944 times)

Offline CJWAUS

Major CD4 Drop Question
« on: July 07, 2006, 12:16:44 am »
I just got new lab results today, and my CD4 is down from close to 1700 to 600.  I forgot the percentages, but was quite alarmed by this major drop in just two months.  I have recently moved from Portland where I had a great doctor to Seattle where the best it seems I can get is a nurse practitioner, who seems to think I shouldn’t be at all worried about this big drop and doesn’t so much as want to talk about it, all she want to talk about is what kind of head meds she thinks I should be on because she doesn’t think I could have ever had a CD4 that high so I must be making it of there is a problem with the tests I had in Portland, this despite her having photo copies of all my test results from the very beginning. What’s the likelihood of two years worth of false test results? 

I am beside myself over this, I watched my CD4 slowly get that high over a couple years and now it’s sort of like they fell off a cliff.  I know 600 is still okay bit it isn’t nearly as okay as 1700.  I am also concerned that this will be a trend and I will be in trouble in a couple more months.

Anyone ever have this kind of thing happen before?  I am still undetectable. 
 :(

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Major CD4 Drop Question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 12:27:06 am »
CJ,

It would be helpful if you could tell us your CD4 %. CD4 absolute results tend to fluctuate quite a bit (though yours is a big one) and your still in the normal range. Especially for an HIV positive person. As you probably know the % gives a far more accurate picture of what's happening to your immune system over time and HIV numbers are all about trends.  If the nurse practitioner is not being helpful can you phone your doctor in Seattle?

Also we have a really good set of lessons here which explain all about CD4 test results. You'll find the lessons link in the upper left hand corner of the page.

MtD

/edited because you did report your VL result. sorry!/

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 12:53:11 am »
I don't have a doctor in Seattle just the N.P.  I will find out the % but I was just kinda in shock about it and forgot.

I do know that today was my last trip to Harborview, I need to find something better.  A few months ago i asked on here about good docs in Seattle but none of them would take me. 

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 12:58:34 am »
CJ,

Sorry! Misread that. You've moved FROM Portland TO Seattle! We Aussies can be a bit slow. ;) As you'd know a doctor is a priority. Can your NP give you the names of some who might take you on?

MtD

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 01:25:39 am »
Ive decided to just try and start over at a new clinic, maybe that will go better.

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 01:39:28 am »
"Aussies can be a bit slow"

But they are so very cute :P
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:41:00 am by CJWAUS »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 02:02:20 am »
Ive decided to just try and start over at a new clinic, maybe that will go better.

That sounds like an excellent idea.

But they are so very cute

Awwww!  ;D --blushes on behalf of his cute countrymen-- ;)

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 04:20:43 am »
CJ,

Moving house is right near the top of the top ten "major life stressors" (or whatever they call that list) and there's a very good chance your CD4 count is reflecting that. Even if a house move goes smoothly, it is still a very stressful time.

Take care of yourself, try to relax and chances are good your CD4s will go back into the range you're used to. Don't be too hard on yourself and try not to worry so much. Your numbers are still excellent.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 10:25:07 am »
Hey CJ,
As our Matty said, CD4s can fluctuate like Bush's approval ratings. I have had mine drop as much as 600 at times.

The percentage is a much better barometer of how things are going.

That said, your decision to look for a better clinic/doctor seems wise to me. You need a good doctor, preferably an internist who specializes in HIV care. NPs are fine for some things, but not for continuing care.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ademas

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 10:28:21 am »
Hi CJ,
I was raised in Portland and now live south of Seattle (Des Moines).
Have you tried ACAP through Lifelong AIDS Alliance?
http://www.lifelongaidsalliance.org/services/acap.html
If insurance is an issue, have you tried The Country Doctor?
http://www.cdchc.org/
Craig

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 10:54:54 am »

My .02: wait a month, get another lab done, assess it all then. Percentages are better, as has been mentioned.

Rest assured that there is really no difference between 600 and 1700 in terms of efficacy. 1700 is almost off the scale! 600 and you are living normal.

Andrew

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 12:27:08 am »
Thanks to all for the responses.  I asked my case manager to find me a diffrent doctor, and I will get retested in a month or so.   

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 09:57:57 am »
Hi CJ

A cd4 count of 1700 is very high, usually caused by high total lymphocytes. I really think that the stress around moving could cause that drop and I wouldn;t be surprised if your percentage hadn't changed that much. Try to find that number, then you really know if you should be worried.

Good luck!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 06:12:18 am »
my doctor give NO credence to high cd4's in general.

I've initially tested at 740.. dropped steadily to 500..then started meds... I rebounded to about 800 then jumped to 1625, then back down to 820 then back up to 1540.

What does that mean.. Nothing.   At higher cd4's, it means nothing at all.   they bounce around like crazy. 

Was I concerned when I dropped from 1600+ to 840?  Sure... I thought I had just lost half my immune system.  But I didn't.

My immune system is fine, and the cd4's are not indicative of functionality at a higher level of counts.   (Now they certainly are more important at lower levels, but within the normal range, the are going to fluctuate greatly even on a day to day basis.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.